Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Anyway it seems that Munich (MUC) is a new route for the winter season with Ryanair, twice daily from the 29th of October.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭john boye

737max wrote: »
    half day holidays after working for four hours. Flights in the late morning are useless to me. Early morning or Evening are ideal.
    Return Aer Lingus flights are over twice as expensive flying to and from the same airports.

Think you might be paying a little too much emphasis on the price factor, cost isn't king for everybody. Anyway I realized after I posted that EI only operate it seasonally so it'll be largely irrelevant for the winter months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

Are the people who aren't price sensitive able to subsidize those who are or vice versa.
    I predict Aer Lingus dropping this route.
    Can they downsize on the route to make the figures work - no they can't as a regional plane wouldn't work on that long route. Have they an A319? ei-ept is gone according to links on google. If they can swallow their pride they should drop the route and use the plane somewhere where profit can be made(where that is? I don't know)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Your hatred for Aer Lingus wouldn't be clouding your judgement would it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

how many 737max or a320neo have been delivered so far? 787 is an expensive bird.

Neither is *that* revolutionary. The 757 has existed for a long, long time already.
    Are the people who aren't price sensitive able to subsidize those who are or vice versa.
    I predict Aer Lingus dropping this route.
    Can they downsize on the route to make the figures work - no they can't as a regional plane wouldn't work on that long route. Have they an A319? ei-ept is gone according to links on google. If they can swallow their pride they should drop the route and use the plane somewhere where profit can be made(where that is? I don't know)

You're rather jumping to conclusions that the route is going to become unprofitable here. There's nothing to base that on.

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Your hatred for Aer Lingus wouldn't be clouding your judgement would it?
    My flight on friday will be on Aer Lingus and for most of the rest of the year except for xmas when it is lufthansa.

L1011 wrote: »
    Neither is *that* revolutionary. The 757 has existed for a long, long time already.

You're rather jumping to conclusions that the route is going to become unprofitable here. There's nothing to base that on.
    fares are less than 50% of the aer lingus price and they serve the airport more days in the week going to the same destination.
    edit: what are you referring to? doesn't matter the comment stands if you are talking about ireland - US or dublin - stuttgart

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

fares are less than 50% of the aer lingus price and they serve the airport more days in the week going to the same destination.

And?

Their timings may work for you but they're crap for anyone going on business. Established FFP bases are extremely important on business routes

You have nothing to suggest the route is going to be unprofitable so all the "swallow their pride" stuff is premature and frankly a bit childish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Delighted Ryanair announced Paphos (Cyprus), always wanted to go

I really don't know why they've never bothered with the Greek Islands from Dub, just needs 1 plane for 4 days a week, they could get in 2 return flights per day and service 3 or 4 islands, at the moment we're at the mercy of the rip off prices of Falcon/Thomson

Do you think that Aer Lingus current timings and weekly frequency on that route are business friendly?

I make a point and back it up that an Aer Lingus route is now going to be unprofitable and I find myself one step away from being accused of trolling and a ban stick dangling over me....not yet brandished but it is there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭VG31

scudzilla wrote: »
    Delighted Ryanair announced Paphos (Cyprus), always wanted to go

I really don't know why they've never bothered with the Greek Islands from Dub, just needs 1 plane for 4 days a week, they could get in 2 return flights per day and service 3 or 4 islands, at the moment we're at the mercy of the rip off prices of Falcon/Thomson

Cobalt fly to Larnaca. You can also fly with Aegean to the Greek islands via Athens. Both their prices can be very reasonable.

I make a point and back it up that an Aer Lingus route is now going to be unprofitable and I find myself one step away from being accused of trolling and a ban stick dangling over me....not yet brandished but it is there.

You made a statement as if it is fact, without it being fact and without much evidence to support it as a good guess even.

The two airlines compete (with third airlines also at times) on many routes and will continue to do so.

You were not accused of trolling by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Will Dublin to Paphos be one of Ryanairs longest flights?

Cobalts Dublin to Larnaca is five hours there and five-and-a-half back.

http://www.flughafen-stuttgart.de/media/185203/jahresbericht_2016.pdf
    pg41
    25017 passengers from stuttgart to Ireland. Aer Lingus can't afford to share that Route with Ryanair.

pg41
    25017 passengers from stuttgart to Ireland. Aer Lingus can't afford to share that Route with Ryanair.

1: Competition induces demand
    2: Ryanair may be the one to leave the route if it turns out to be unsustainable to have two carriers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

pg41
    This remains to be seen. Lower fares with both airlines may well open up the market. It may not.

@l1011 In view of our knowledge of the two carriers your comment is farcical.

I fly from Frankfurt because although more expensive the times and frequency are better than ryanair from Hahn. Stuttgart doesn't even have better times or frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Will Dublin to Paphos be one of Ryanairs longest flights?

As I recall Finland to Tenerife was the previous record holder in that regard.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

In view of our knowledge of the two carriers your comment is farcical.

Other than for the fact that it has happened before? DUB-ABZ (FR leave after EI enter) comes to mind immediately and it's not the only time. There has also been quite a number of cases of FR ramping frequency and cutting fares to the bone when EI enter a route only to not unseat them and return to the old frequency or below.

You do not have any evidence to back up your statement of (forward looking) "fact" or realistically support a strong guess that it would happen.

I don't see a stobart plane making the grade on that route. do you? google indicates to me aberdeen is served by an atr. is my information out of date?

• Advertisement

I don't see a stobart plane making the grade on that route. do you? google indicates to me aberdeen is served by an atr. is my information out of date?

What relevance is this at all? :confused:

You cannot say with any certainty that FR entering a route will make it unprofitable for another operator - and your clutching at straws won't change that.

Another factor to consider is that EI clearly haven't seen enough demand on the route in the winter months to justify running it, what is there to say the FR one will be a roaring success?

The last contributions from certain posters have shown that they will try to argue that black is white in defence of Aer Lingus.

The last contributions from certain posters have shown that they will try to argue that black is white in defence of Aer Lingus.

Namely?

If you're going to make accusations of that kind, kindly give examples

I'm willing to travel further than Stuttgart to get a flight and I still haven't used Aer Lingus in Stuttgart. I'm willing to travel to Frankfurt to fly with Aer Lingus but not to Stuttgart because the prices and flight times are unappealing. That route is dead as a dodo and was only attracting 25k passengers a year without Ryanair present. Will more than 25k travel with Aer Lingus now that competition has been added to the route and now that the route is under price-pressure?

I'm going to bed. I'm an hour ahead of ye...those of ye inhabiting the same planet as the rest of us.

I'm going to bed. I'm an hour ahead of ye...those of ye inhabiting the same planet as the rest of us.

You were getting close to the warning for the last one - insulting other users in this manner is not acceptable.

IWill more than 25k travel with Aer Lingus now that competition has been added to the route and now that the route is under price-pressure?

Possibly, depending on what their pricing going forward is and what extra demand is induced.

I'm not sure I get what your point is here. If you are still trying to work on the idea that the figures are too low for two carriers you're not bringing anything new to the table here.

Yeah I was confused too but was just going to leave it. On the one hand he said the route was dead as a dodo but then seemed to say it was going to be a winner for FR. Hard to keep up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

pg41

That's roughly 80-85% of the capacity on offer taken up. Always room for FR just like there is on most other EI routes. It has always done well in summer but the one winter EI operated loads were dire.

Would imagine EI will role out T/A feed on the route next summer partly as a response.

Advertisement