Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

JCX BXC wrote: »

This is not a new route. I flew Dublin to Marrakech with Ryanair earlier this year.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Noxegon wrote: »
    This is not a new route. I flew Dublin to Marrakech with Ryanair earlier this year.

Naples isn't really as it's starting in October. I just took the Press Release.

It's a "ryanair" new route, meaning it could have previously operated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

FR slowly crawling all over EINs euro network. Wouldn't surprise me if EIN ended up as a medium long haul carrier only in a decades time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

duskyjoe wrote: »
    FR slowly crawling all over EINs euro network. Wouldn't surprise me if EIN ended up as a medium long haul carrier only in a decades time.

Long haul without connections is doomed to failure; so that's not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

They have been able to compete so far on AMS,MAD,BCN,LGW,SXF,LIS,AGP,FAO,TFS,ALC etc.

I see what you're saying though with the intro of Naples, STR and MUC but EI have a very loyal customer base.

• Advertisement

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I see what you're saying though with the intro of Naples, STR and MUC but EI have a very loyal customer base.

...that they're systematically shafting; just look at the thread about Avios.

If FR launched a proper Frequent Flyer scheme I rather suspect they'd clean up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭VG31

It would help a lot if EI reduced their checked bag charges and extra cost for a plus fare. Most non low-cost airlines like Lufthansa, Swiss, Air France and KLM don't charge much more for checked bags or their standard/classic fares.

I only paid €40 more for Lufthansa's classic fare this year whereas with EI the plus fare can be nearly double the standard fare. Paying for just the bag with EI would have cost €80. Even Ryanair who don't exactly encourage people to check bags don't charge anything as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭john boye

Cathay have said today that they will soon announce new routes to beer related destinations. Has a lot of people wondering if Dublin could be one. Apologies if the link doesn't work, I'm no good with this fb craic!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1174415822702119&id=328735300603513

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

L1011 wrote: »
    Long haul without connections is doomed to failure; so that's not going to happen.
    Challenge your world view. The 737max, 787 and a320neo have changed the market.
    The next Global Financial crisis where companies cancel business travel for quarters on end will stir things up. Those travelling on their own buck will still travel although somewhat less.
    Steerage class is where it's at now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

john boye wrote: »
    Cathay have said today that they will soon announce new routes to beer related destinations. Has a lot of people wondering if Dublin could be one. Apologies if the link doesn't work, I'm no good with this fb craic!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1174415822702119&id=328735300603513

Munich I would think considering the time of year coming up....

• Advertisement

Copenhagen was mentioned too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

According to rumors within 8/F, there will at least be 3 new ports in 2018. Bxxxxxxx, Cxxxxxxxxx and Dxxxxx. We will also be closing 3 ports: 1 in China, 1 in SE Asia and 1 in Europe.

This was posted on CX Secrets.

Brussels, Copenhagen, Dublin!?

737max wrote: »

Really?

I don't think you can make this claim yet, Norwegian hasn't really broken in yet. If they do and make a great success of it then maybe you can say that, but as far as I see very little has changed in the market really.

Also, I don't see how an A320, 787 or a 737 MAX can replace the pax coming from Europe into DUB and onto the US? Will they magically arrive at the airport now?

This was posted on CX Secrets.

Brussels, Copenhagen, Dublin!?

Dallas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭VG31

Dallas?

Is Dallas known for beer though?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The next Global Financial crisis where companies cancel business travel for quarters on end will stir things up. Those travelling on their own buck will still travel although somewhat less.
    Steerage class is where it's at now.

You post this a lot. You are assuming Norwegian aren't going to go spectacularly bankrupt rather soon.

I'm assuming they are. Incredibly indebted, chaotic operations will have money rolling out the door in 261 let alone costs. The next global financial crisis will kill any airline in such a state.

Also, if there's a massive reduction in travel, secondary destinations suffer the hardest and the earliest. When your business model is reliant on connecting secondary destinations to each other point to point, you now have no business model. Look at Globespan, Zoom, etc from the last time out. No major differnece to Norwegian except they had less debt.

I don't care much if they go bankrupt or not. The pioneers may not reap the rewards.

I don't care much if they go bankrupt or not. The pioneers may not reap the rewards.

Who is going to step in to their place?

Considering there's been two past distinct phases of low cost long haul that both ended with failures all round, I think we're well past the position of thinking that its just the first mover being screwed.

The model is completely reliant on people with disposable income and disposable time; the first two things that go in a financial crisis. What will happen is the exact opposite of your view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Marrakech is not a new route for Ryanair, my parents flew there in December from Dublin with them... maybe a new summer route but definitely not a new winter route.

January wrote: »
    Marrakech is not a new route for Ryanair, my parents flew there in December from Dublin with them... maybe a new summer route but definitely not a new winter route.

It's ryanair, they always dress old routes returning as new routes.

Was cut in march earlier this year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Frankly, this has been happening for the past 20 years!! EI are still here and still making money. I think in these markets there is space for both airlines. For example on the MUC route a gentle fare war between EI and FR will probably hurt LH the most

since they don't have insider connections if they fail their routes will be picked off by whomever wants to take the route and is in good financial health or feeling confident in expanding when others aren't.

VG31 wrote: »
    Dallas?

Is Dallas known for beer though?

I once got so absolutely hammered in Dallas that I very, very nearly missed my flight home the next day. Not sure that counts though....

since they don't have insider connections if they fail their routes will be picked off by whomever wants to take the route and is in good financial health or feeling confident in expanding when others aren't.

Which, considering nobody took the routes before them and it needed an airline with a death wish expansion policy to start them, is going to be who precisely?

how many 737max or a320neo have been delivered so far? 787 is an expensive bird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Locker10a wrote: »
    Frankly, this has been happening for the past 20 years!! EI are still here and still making money. I think in these markets there is space for both airlines. For example on the MUC route a gentle fare war between EI and FR will probably hurt LH the most

Hope your right but I don't see EIN expanding their SH model whereas FR are constantly nibbling away on the DUB market scene hence my concern.

Those prices to Stuttgart from Dublin on Ryanair are cheap. That'll hurt Aer Lingus. That's a flight I'll be taking. I could never justify Stuttgart with Aer Lingus as the prices were not especially cheap and departure times poor. I predict they'll pull that route.

Not sure where you're going with that, EI depart 1215 and FR depart at 1430. How can EI be poorer given that most people would prefer to fly as early as possible?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Locker10a wrote: »

Hope your right but I don't see EIN expanding their SH model whereas FR are constantly nibbling away on the DUB market scene hence my concern.

I wouldn't be that worried EI manage to compete on tens of routes directly with RYR, and have done so for years. I don't see how this will be different. Especially with EI offering connecting traffic and codeshares etc.
    Also don't forget the EI and FR may well soon code share on one another's flights. It's been rumoured for a while. So I'm sure there will be an "agreement" on schedules on the routes there's an agreement on, if it goes ahead .

• Advertisement

john boye wrote: »
    Not sure where you're going with that, EI depart 1215 and FR depart at 1430. How can EI be poorer given that most people would prefer to fly as early as possible?
    half day holidays after working for four hours. Flights in the late morning are useless to me. Early morning or Evening are ideal.
    Return Aer Lingus flights are over twice as expensive flying to and from the same airports.

Advertisement