Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Thought that was great fun. Such good cinema experiences

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

thought it was a bit bland TBH.

Still had more fun at this than Solo, but i dont thinks its as fun as jurassic world was.

like solo it had a nice set up for the next film . it was a VERY
    speilbergian type small town we were left looking at and TBH -even though i KNOW its not going to happen- i can help thinking you could have a right funny "tremors" ripp off with rednecks vrs raptors.

i DO like that theyre pushing the notion that people around the world are familiar with dinos and thanks to the auction some may have got away with some fair vicious members so bad guys working with dinos on leashes etc could be down the line which is at least new.

TBH though i wish they'd get the feck away from the raptors. give me some weaponised triceratops or something as weve seen the fecking raptors for donkeys years now.

theyve been hinting about turning the dinos into weapons so just bloody do it already

back to the film though

6.5/10?

deffo worth seeing in the cinema, but one that you have to be in the right state of mind for- otherwise you could come out thinking "meh"

• Registered Users Posts: 45,045 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Didn't like it nearly as much as Jurassic World. Thought it much weaker.

Really don't understand the little girl.
    So... she's a clone? Meh. Why should I care. It must be a huge point of the third movie, cause otherwise WHY?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,850 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That was just OK imo.
    Not as good as jurassic world which for me was a 7/10 some cool ideas and good set pieces but it seemed fairly poorly strung together and the call backs to the other films especially the first felt a bit crow barred in.
    The little kid was a fairly poor actress I thought as well which didn't help. It set itself for a fairly bonkers 3rd film I would think...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

One of the worst films I've ever seen in the cinema. Absolutely terrible. Only good point was the mosasaurus at the start and Pratt being likeable.

Every plot point was completely predictable, terrible acting and then the scenes where you felt bad for the dinosaurs just sucked any potential fun out of the film. Can't really enjoy shots of the peaceful dinosaurs drowning, burning alive and a baby triceratops being gassed to death.

• Advertisement

The worst film I've seen for some time. Almost no redeeming factors. What a complete waste of time, money and effort. An overall assault on the senses.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What's the box-office looking like on this; not that Boards is a global barometer but doesn't feel like are rushing out to see this, or those that do hardly bowled over. Haven't got out to see this yet myself, I mean there are only so many times you can watch dinosaurs go out of control...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

pixelburp wrote: »
    What's the box-office looking like on this; not that Boards is a global barometer but doesn't feel like are rushing out to see this, or those that do hardly bowled over. Haven't got out to see this yet myself, I mean there are only so many times you can watch dinosaurs go out of control...

Seems to be doing very well. 150 million opening which beat the projections by 10 mil. Still short of the first film’s 200+m but I think that opened in more markets. It has still to open in China. Reviews, mixed reactions will probably hurt its US returns when it’s eventually released there but should still do very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

Story line was the worst yet. Terrible film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Loughc wrote: »
    And the ending was
    shrugged off when it should have been treated like a catastrophic event. Literally thousands will die as a result of them being set free

I disagree with
    it being shrugged off tbh. It felt like the cliffhanger to a TV show, giving you a taste of what's to come, to try and entice you back to see what happens next season. In that sense, I thought it was given just the right amount of emphasis

I thought it was a fun movie overall. Can't say I had too many problems with the story, it was exactly as dumb but enjoyable as I expected it to be

• Advertisement

I did laugh when the evil hunter guy called the spunky doctor girl a nasty woman. That's surely a reference to all the gender identity politics that has been shoe horned into Hollywood recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,045 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I did laugh when the evil hunter guy called the spunky doctor girl a nasty woman. That's surely a reference to all the gender identity politics that has been shoe horned into Hollywood recently.

Nah, I think that just speaks to your opinion.

I don't think the director was taking a shot.

Nah, I think that just speaks to your opinion.

I don't think the director was taking a shot.

Hmm. okay. It felt kinda blatant. Perhaps all the ****e surrounding star wars has made me hyper aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

Jurassic World 2: Fallen Kingdom - 6.5/10

I went in with my expectations at rock bottom as every trailer made it look awful. Luckily though, those low expectations meant that I was pleasantly surprised by just how much fun this was. It's a real crowd pleaser and I think that anyone who really enjoyed the first one will have a blast with this. That said, I was surprised to see it follow a lot of the same beats as The Lost World: Jurassic Park.

It would be easy to pick this film apart as it is riddled with plot holes and conveniences that make no sense, but I think it's best to focus on the positives;
    The CGI is much improved from JW, which was badly needed as the CGI work on JW was woefully inadequate. There are many species of dinosaur we haven't really seen before that are given some long overdue screen time. The film doesn't take itself at all seriously and really seems to be aware that it is essentially a mega budget B-movie. The pacing for the first hour of the film is good and it never gets boring.

There were many inadvertent laughs had throughout, due to its bizarrely contrived new characters and misplaced humour (that undercuts any jeopardy). I particularly enjoyed the huge, final act character revelation that the audience had zero investment in. I also didn't realise it was possible to write a human villain that has less than one dimension. Impressive.

The 'hammer house of horrors' finale had some pacing issues (as well as some ludicrously under-priced dinosaurs). This whole section, in particular the sequence with the Indo-Raptor and the little girl, will not lend itself well to repeat viewing's. It fails to recapture the suspense and tension of the kitchen scene from the original which is clearly what it is trying to replicate.

Those who are expecting a science heavy, intelligent sequel exploring the various pitfalls of genetic experimentation will be disappointed. Those who want to switch there brain off for two hours and throw popcorn aimlessly at their mouths will not.

Most importantly, do not go and see this movie if Jeff Goldblum is its main selling point to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,850 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

El Duda wrote: »
    Jurassic World 2: Fallen Kingdom - 6.5/10

I went in with my expectations at rock bottom as every trailer made it look awful. Luckily though, those low expectations meant that I was pleasantly surprised by just how much fun this was. It's a real crowd pleaser and I think that anyone who really enjoyed the first one will have a blast with this. That said, I was surprised to see it follow a lot of the same beats as The Lost World: Jurassic Park.

It would be easy to pick this film apart as it is riddled with plot holes and conveniences that make no sense, but I think it's best to focus on the positives;
    The CGI is much improved from JW, which was badly needed as the CGI work on JW was woefully inadequate. There are many species of dinosaur we haven't really seen before that are given some long overdue screen time. The film doesn't take itself at all seriously and really seems to be aware that it is essentially a mega budget B-movie. The pacing for the first hour of the film is good and it never gets boring.

There were many inadvertent laughs had throughout, due to its bizarrely contrived new characters and misplaced humour (that undercuts any jeopardy). I particularly enjoyed the huge, final act character revelation that the audience had zero investment in. I also didn't realise it was possible to write a human villain that has less than one dimension. Impressive.

The 'hammer house of horrors' finale had some pacing issues (as well as some ludicrously under-priced dinosaurs). This whole section, in particular the sequence with the Indo-Raptor and the little girl, will not lend itself well to repeat viewing's. It fails to recapture the suspense and tension of the kitchen scene from the original which is clearly what it is trying to replicate.

Those who are expecting a science heavy, intelligent sequel exploring the various pitfalls of genetic experimentation will be disappointed. Those who want to switch there brain off for two hours and throw popcorn aimlessly at their mouths will not.

Most importantly, do not go and see this movie if Jeff Goldblum is its main selling point to you.
    Sounds about spot on to me too.
    I did find the constant callbacks to the original jurassic park film a tad distracting did you not?

Also Toby Jones deserves a special mention for his teeth and hair, I think he might have had them left over from the hunger games!

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

gmisk wrote: »
    Sounds about spot on to me too.
    I did find the constant callbacks to the original jurassic park film a tad distracting did you not?

Yeah it was a bit odd. Jurassic Park is a bonafide classic so its no surprise that Bayona felt the need to pay homage to certain iconic scenes; Lex sliding the door shut in the kitchen, the goat etc...

But it was odd that it almost followed the same template as Lost World. I didn't think LW was a very well respected sequel?!

Looking out over the captured dinos with binoculars was lifted directly from LW. The hunter guy was basically Pete Postlewaite MK2 etc...

I enjoyed the Chris Pratt Lava scene though, reminded me of Wolf of Wall Street!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

El Duda wrote: »

Man... the way that T-Rex breaks through the wall & just picked him off within two minutes of screen time... I really thought he’d be in the whole thing...

Nice throwback to the accountant in JP, but it was a real blink and you’ll miss him cameo. Really took me by surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

That Oriental scientist guy who keeps appearing randomly to reveal he's the one behind creating the monsters, then just disappearing again reminds me of the old Python "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition" sketch.

The movie itself was about as good as I expected. Two hours of set pieces, with a flimsy storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

OU812 wrote: »
    Man... the way that T-Rex breaks through the wall & just picked him off within two minutes of screen time... I really thought he’d be in the whole thing...

Nice throwback to the accountant in JP, but it was a real blink and you’ll miss him cameo. Really took me by surprise

What the actual ****?! Ever heard of ****ing spoilers??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I actually enjoyed it and almost shed a tear here and there but realised my younger sister would have roasted me for crying at it. My sons enjoyed it too. My sister was born in the early 90's so wasn't overly familiar with the original Jurassic Park movies but really liked it too. Her daughter wasn't familiar with the franchise and thought it was good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I went to see this in 4DX last week. 4DX was done to get it out of the way first and foremost, and I chose this film since I've far less interest in the franchise since the first Jurassic World. I'm not going to waste a viewing on something like Infinity Wars where I've a more vested interest.

Anyway, the movie was more enjoyable than Jurassic World because that film has committed all the sins and this film was following up on it, but with far less cringe. It's not a good movie, nor would I recommend it to anyone but it was passable entertainment. J.A. Bayona was my biggest draw to it initially. I hoped he would do something great with it but he's tied to the studios and has to follow their lead.

I liked the imagery of the Brontosaurus walking up to the pier, and getting engulfed in smoke and lava. It was the best throwback to the original thus far in any sequel, and nearly brought a lump to my throat. Maybe more so because it's a visual represents killing off the old franchise completely.

The sub plot with the girl and what it amounts to is stupid and felt like it had no place in the film except to shoe horn in a kid in perilous situations. She was fine in the role, and I didn't not like her.

The made up dinosaur, much like the last film, was just not the direction I like to see the films going. The original film had great tense moments with these dinosaurs and had more ground to cover and with many other dinos with potential for adventure set pieces. It's like they are just pushed aside for something more rad :cool: to please kids. The weaponisation of, and greedy interest of rich business men with the dinosaurs are the routes I hate these films taking.

Does anyone else think it weird that most of the dinosaurs can now roam America but there is no mate for them, therefore they can either be killed by military, or just die in the wild. It doesn't scream to me that by the time a sequel comes around that there will be an abundance of more dinos stalking the USA.

Oh.. and not to get bogged down in trailer discussion, but bar the initial trailer (in which Bayona said purposefully doens't spoil the rest of the film), the trailers pretty much played out all the action set pieces and left very little new. I wish the marketing people in Hollywood learned to hold some stuff back. The one credit I will give Rian Johnson is that he purposefully had much of TLJ kept from trailers.

4DX wise, it was ok for a little while since it was a new experience. It would be cool if the tech was on par with the virtual rides of the like of Universal studios for the feeling of dead drops and motion experience. By the time they got off the island I was done with being in the 4DX chair. The most annoying part was the blowing at my neck. When raptors attach I would not expect a simple whisp of air blowing at my neck to be the immersive feeling. I thought it also stupid when an establishing aerial shot is used and you get a floating motion. This is all well and good if a character is in a helicopter or something but leave it out for establishing exterior aerial shots. I won't be going again unless it's for a 90 minute action/adventure that I'm told is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Does anyone else think it weird that most of the dinosaurs can now roam America but there is no mate for them, therefore they can either be killed by military, or just die in the wild. It doesn't scream to me that by the time a sequel comes around that there will be an abundance of more dinos stalking the USA.

That has been answered way back in Jurassic Park

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Jude13

I was really looking forward to this movie after enjoying the first of the reboot. I thought it was woeful. Really disappointed that it was just a filler between the last and the next movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I don't usually like to criticise movies and try to accept them as entertainment. But I'm finding this franchise to be very confusing now. It's meant to be full of shock thrills and suspense. But this movie was more of a parody of Jurassic park 1&2 with the cast of Jurassic world.

The auction scene was very reminiscent of classic king Kong movies and the final scene had me thinking more so of planet of the apes with a resident evil feel to it.

It didn't have any identity of its own.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wailin wrote: »
    What the actual ****?! Ever heard of ****ing spoilers??

Dunno if you're being sarcastic, but OU812 was. Without spoiling anything that doesn't happen in the film, in fact TBH Goldblum's inclusion was purely as fan-service and something to include in the trailer.

_________

I actually enjoyed this more than I did the first Jurassic World; it felt looser, grubbier with an almost low-rent flourish than the Colin Trevorrow vehicle. It's still a franchise that's a touch too derivative, with many moments clearly cribbed from both previous Jurassic Parks or other genre films such as King Kong; but while the last film ultimately came off rote, vapid and brazenly cynical, with Fallen Kingdom there was a trashy B-movie heart beating at the centre, the more thrilling moments even leaning into PG-horror not really seen since the 1993 original. JA Bayona added a touch of the wilderness & viciousness the franchise was sorely lacking - the 'Indoraptor' used far more effectively than its progenitor, often framed like the monstrous creature from a horror film than a 'fun' blockbuster dinosaur.

That said, while the mechanics of the action were great, its human participants remained as tedious as before. Both returning leads added nothing but some continuity, the script also persisting with a romance nobody cared about - including said leads, going by their lack of chemistry.

Fallen Kingdom will also be the point where I'm officially done with Chris Pratt and his single character template; the smug, sometimes hyper-capable smartass he keeps playing had already been wearing thin, but here it became so utterly insufferable it broke the camels back. To be fair, it worked in Guardians of the Galaxy, as the scripts often called his character out on said smugness, but the writing here was never sophisticated enough to look past the cockiness. As for the secondary characters, well I suppose they were just ... there. Generic and redundant, the vet & IT nerd contributed nothing except a limp attempt to introduce more heroes to the party.

Also, the less said about the gratuitous Jeff Goldblum cameo the better, and probably the easiest paycheque he ever earned.

Still! Ultimately the limp characterisation & Pratt's smarminess didn't derail the film enough to ruin the solid thrills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

My only gripe with the film was the price of the dinosaurs at the auction. 43m for the prototype of a new breed of dinosaur? Everton paid 50m for Gylfi Sigurdson!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

dulux99 wrote: »
    My only gripe with the film was the price of the dinosaurs at the auction. 43m for the prototype of a new breed of dinosaur? Everton paid 50m for Gylfi Sigurdson!

Don't forget to add on wages too, look how much they were paying the way dinosaur they had, Rooney, per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭paulbok

They will be glad of the 2nd ammendment now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Despite a rotten RT score from critics and audiences, this is cleaning up at the box office. Should hit a billion worldwide in the next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,487 ✭✭✭brevity

I think they could make a good Aliensesque movie out of this franchise.

A bunch of Ingen mercenaries are dropped into Isla something-or-other to try and secure the island/get some maguffin.

Advertisement