Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BarleySweets

[QU OTE=DVD-Lots;106765299]New Trailer

[/QUOTE]

Beware spoilers, that’s pretty much the whole movie condensed into 2 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Cheers. Will give it a miss then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

It looks very bad :( pity thought they might make a better one this time around

• Registered Users Posts: 31,852 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I had high hopes on this one as JA Bayona directing... This doesn't look great, I will still go and see it as I loved all the other jurassic films

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

The plot for this one looks terrible. The 'jumping the shark' moment for the franchise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soap1978

I hate the controlling the rapter

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

That looks awful

The very fact a year old thread about a Jurassic Park movie has only 4 pages of comments speaks volumes for the general mood towards this movie. Its obviously a complete reboot of The Lost World, arguably the 2nd worst of the entire franchise. JP3 and JW1 tie for top spot IMO.

Theres guns, dinosaurs, unorthodox armoured vehicles, I'll go and see it but I'll go a day when its cheap and theres no kids there. Maybe a Tuesday morning.

Would they ever just make a Dino Riders movie and stop rebooting things?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I'll always defend The Lost World. It isn't the classic that the original was, but it is a really fun and entertaining 90s action film. OK, the infamous gymnastics scene is unquestionably bad but that is just a 20 second moment in a 2 hour film. The rest of the movie has two great leads, a solid supporting cast, great practical and CG effects, actual tension and believable characters speaking decent dialog. The San Diego scene is a little gimmicky but I can forgive it for its novelty and the clear Godzilla inspiration. It is well staged.

I've seen JW about three times now and I dislike it more every time I see it, but the opposite is the case for The Lost World. JW feels too cartoony, is pretty much devoid of any true tension, and the subplot of Vincent D'Onofrio trying to weaponise the raptors is stupid and clear sequel baiting.

The new trailer for JW2 looks like absolute garbage. I guess your enjoyment of the Jurassic World movies is heavily based on whether you can get onboard with raptors teaming up with Chris Pratt's character, and as a big fan of the Spielberg's two, I just can't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

- The Good:
    - Indoraptor looks absolutely terrifying
    - Carnotaurus and baryonx debuting on the big screen

The Bad:
    - Everything else (that scene in the trailer where Pratt jumps through Rexy's (I'm assuming it's Rexy) mouth is pure BS. Even more BS than Bryce's character in the first one running from Rexy in heels!)

I thought JW was pure crap. This looks equally crap. I will probably end up going to see it, but only on a day where I have nothing better to do and just want to kill a few hours rather than sit on my bum.

• Advertisement

I found Jurassic World so painfully average that the prospect of a sequel feels more like a threat than anything else. Pratt is miscast in the lead and he simply can't carry off the role or the film, likeable he may be but he's not much of an actor though he does try.

Jurassic World is a film in which spectacle and awe takes centre stage but in this day and age it simply isn't enough. Much of the FX work had an obviously CGI feel and kids these days simply aren't impressed by shiny CGI given that they're so used to it.

There was always going to be a sequel given the money Jurassic World made.
    I like JP2 as well (especially the t-rex in the camp scene, and the truck on the cliff), and tbh JP3 isnt that bad either (bar Tea Leoni - who I thought was brutal in it).
    I thought Jurassic World had a great premise but didn't quite pull it off, some poor CGI, annoying characters (including running from a t-rex in high heels lol), it also felt like a bit of a re-tred of the first film but without its heart and genuine awe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'll say one thing in its favour; the narrative looks pared back; the half-baked corporate / military conspiracies of Jurassic World were tedious and severely underdone. Looks like the sequel is keeping it pretty straightforward, complete with an exaggerated evil nemesis front and centre this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I think I'm out.
    I might go along if I've a spare evening or weekend but it looks like it really "jumped the shark" as someone says above.
    The first trailers sucked you in as it was based on the island, looks like the vast majority die there and then we have the urban setting for the rest.

If the trailer look that ridiculous, I'm strangely looking forward to seeing what is "the" standout ridiculous moment in this similar to:

2 - gymnastics
    3 - talking Velociraptor
    4 - D'Onofrio negotiating with a Raptor / high heels for the entirety

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

This looks terrible! I hate the direction of weaponising the dinosaurs ever since there were the drawings from a potential sequel years ago. Jurassic World was absolute rubbish for me in many ways, particularly because it was drowned in CGI rather than balancing animatics and practical effects with the CG dinos, but particularly for the fact it was pushing to move towards weaponising the raptors, complete with a moustache twirling bad guy.

They're now going full on that route. Up until Jurassic World there was only one great Jurassic movie, the first. The second was weak but enjoyable, the third was... nuff said. So if anything I just want to have a Jurassic movie that can be on par with the adventure of the first book/film. There are a tonne of dinosaurs to mine from to make dangerous scenarios out of for people in these movies without having to resort to creating hybrids and monstrous clones or whatever the plan is.

BD Wong's scientist of the first movie has a complete unnatural 180 from JP to JW, and it's being pushed further by the looks of the trailer. I call shenanigans on the lot of it.

I'm sad that J.A. Bayona may not surprise me with this one. His comments that the first trailer purposefully doesn't show anything from the rest of the movie because it would spoil a lot. I've now seen behind the curtain, and I don't like what I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,487 ✭✭✭brevity

I mean, it seems fine but I have such a low expectation of these movies. There was only ever one good movie out of the whole lot. And there isn't exactly a huge backlog of source material to go to for ideas. It's either going to be a rescue mission, the dinosaurs escape park or evil military try to take the dinosaurs.

Someone mentioned on Reddit the other day that they could do a Planet of the Apes type thing, where the whole world is covered by dinosaurs. Could be interesting but eh...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Still looks good to me. *shrugs*

RE: JA Bayona - A monster calls didnt really grab me based on trailer but was blown away when I saw it....so we will see!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I think I heard in the trailer, the most vicious predator that ever existed as they were introducing a species they just created. Good good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

That looks absolutely terrible

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Without dismissing this film on the basis of the trailer (although expectations are low primarily because of its predecessor and the director) part of me wonders if this franchise, more than most others, is genuinely doomed to diminishing returns due to the first film's pitch-perfect execution.

Part of the magic of Jurassic Park is irreproducible: a sense of wonder, and a very considered approach to revealing the dinosaurs themselves. Any subsequent Jurassic Park film cannot possibly capture this again - we'll never get anything like that first shot of the peaceful glazing dinosaurs, or the slow, teasing build up to revealing the t-rex (from the quiet pen to the water ripples to that giant eye glaring into the window). At least half of the original film plays out before we see the real threats. That hand has been played, and no other director - no matter how good - can pull that off again, especially when they're up against a film Spielberg made while operating at something near the height of his talent.

Similarly the self-contained setting and small cast of characters gives things a (PG-rated) horror movie vibe when **** does hit the fan. That keeps the stakes clear and consistent. Something is naturally lost when the dino-chaos spirals into a grander setting. It's no surprise some of the sequels have attempted to directly replicate this, but with inevitably diminishing returns. I could see a potentially brave group of filmmakers doubling down and making a really claustrophobic creature feature - ala Alien - with dinosaurs. But in this world of studio films where sequels must be 'bigger, bigger, bigger!', I'm not holding out a whole lot of hope that could ever happen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ultimately, the problem is that the entire premise was, and is, a single self-contained story. Very much a 'one and done' narrative about the perils of Science going wrong etc. etc. It just doesn't really have any legs as a story you can tell across multiple parts. A park is opened, the hubris of humanity revealed, dinosaurs run amok & everyone left living scarpers. The end.

Michael Crichton bowed to pressure after his bestseller success with Jurassic Park, knocking out a fairly perfunctory sequel in The Lost World; and while Spielberg chopped and changed in his adaptation, neither versions could ever move past the inherent redundancy of a contrived sequel to something that didn't NEED further stories. To be fair, returning to the abandoned, overrun park did have some potential, but it was slim pickings.

Without dismissing this film on the basis of the trailer (although expectations are low primarily because of its predecessor and the director) part of me wonders if this franchise, more than most others, is genuinely doomed to diminishing returns due to the first film's pitch-perfect execution.

Part of the magic of Jurassic Park is irreproducible: a sense of wonder, and a very considered approach to revealing the dinosaurs themselves. Any subsequent Jurassic Park film cannot possibly capture this again - we'll never get anything like that first shot of the peaceful glazing dinosaurs, or the slow, teasing build up to revealing the t-rex (from the quiet pen to the water ripples to that giant eye glaring into the window). At least half of the original film plays out before we see the real threats. That hand has been played, and no other director - no matter how good - can pull that off again, especially when they're up against a film Spielberg made while operating at something near the height of his talent.

Similarly the self-contained setting and small cast of characters gives things a (PG-rated) horror movie vibe when **** does hit the fan. That keeps the stakes clear and consistent. Something is naturally lost when the dino-chaos spirals into a grander setting. It's no surprise some of the sequels have attempted to directly replicate this, but with inevitably diminishing returns. I could see a potentially brave group of filmmakers doubling down and making a really claustrophobic creature feature - ala Alien - with dinosaurs. But in this world of studio films where sequels must be 'bigger, bigger, bigger!', I'm not holding out a whole lot of hope that could ever happen.

A love the idea of a Alien style thriller but with dinosaurs, pretty much the kitchen scene but as an entire movie with a proper story. World War Z proved that a summer blockbuster didn't have to end with a massive spectacle. It is a shame Hollywood didn't embrace that idea.

A love the idea of a Alien style thriller but with dinosaurs, pretty much the kitchen scene but as an entire movie with a proper story. World War Z proved that a summer blockbuster didn't have to end with a massive spectacle. It is a shame Hollywood didn't embrace that idea.

But we pretty much got that; The Lost World was 'Aliens' only with dinosaurs; an elite team of military / hunter types visited the abandoned, overrun island, only to get completely wrecked by the animals they underestimated. A desperate journey to escape Isla Nublar then began, as characters got picked off one by one. Heck, we got 2 homages for the price of one: when the film returned to San Diego and turned into a Godzilla/King Kong knock off.

As for World War Z, that last act was not intended and honestly more than a bit terrible; a clumsy deus ex machina by way of hasty, 11th hour reshoots that completely obliterated the pacing.

pixelburp wrote: »
    But we pretty much got that; The Lost World was 'Aliens' only with dinosaurs; an elite team of military / hunter types visited the abandoned, overrun island, only to get completely wrecked by the animals they underestimated. A desperate journey to escape Isla Nublar then began, as characters got picked off one by one. Heck, we got 2 homages for the price of one: when the film returned to San Diego and turned into a Godzilla/King Kong knock off.

As for World War Z, that last act was not intended and honestly more than a bit terrible; a clumsy deus ex machina by way of hasty, 11th hour reshoots that completely obliterated the pacing.

If The Lost World was 'Aliens', I was thinking more of an 'Alien' style movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

gmisk wrote: »
    it also felt like a bit of a re-tred of the first film but without its heart and genuine awe.

Yep, it was definitely a retread without the awe factor but that's exactly what I was expecting so I wasn't disappointed

Anyone know when reviews out?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

They will be under embargo until the very last minute as this looks guaranteed to be horrendous.

El Duda wrote: »
    They will be under embargo until the very last minute as this looks guaranteed to be horrendous.
    Ah you never know good director so we will see.
    The reviews for jurassic world werent horrendous in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Embargo ends June 5th, i.e. the day before UK release. But it's not out in US until the 22nd.

Nobody cares what the reviews say for films like this. First film was a huge success, so the sequel is mostly likely review-proof. Dinosaurs eating humans is the perfect antidote to superhero and SW fatigue.

Advertisement