Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloggers and #ad #spon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Lindy97

You HATER!:D
    No reason to block someone just for a comment like that, unless it was rude

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Im no tax expert but does BIK not apply to these freebes... i know of cases where GAA players who turned down sponorsed cars coz of BIK

BIK doesn't apply to self-employed people.
    Lindy97 wrote: »

It wasn't rude! It was arse-lickingly nice actually...even more embarrassing for me haha.

Im no tax expert but does BIK not apply to these freebes... i know of cases where GAA players who turned down sponorsed cars coz of BIK

BIK doesn't apply to self-employed people.
    Lindy97 wrote: »

It wasn't rude! It was arse-lickingly nice actually...even more embarrassing for me haha.
    haha sorry wasn't implying it was rude at all!  Just meant that would be the only justification for blocking someone.
    Unless its 100% gushing about how fab they are, they consider it hate and bullying, seems to be the modus operandi for most bloggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Thats too funny about gettimg blocked

A i was wondering about all those freebes etc looks like we all missed out so

ive often wondered what they do with all the clothes and makeup they get..there is only so much they can give to friends/family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

ive often wondered what they do with all the clothes and makeup they get..there is only so much they can give to friends/family

Did I read somewhere that MUF sells it all?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

A lot of stuff ends up on depop!

I was thinking said that at work one day and was told i was rediculous...some of these people love these bloggers

I was thinking said that at work one day and was told i was rediculous...some of these people love these bloggers

Makeup fairy is so bad for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Dolbert just closed her account :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

In fairness to MUF, she does a huge amount of giveaways and there's plenty of good stuff in it.
    She sells the dresses alright.

I remember ages ago SoSueMe got a load of jewellery in her room for a workshop she was doing. She was gushing about how generous they were and it's too much for her she'll have to give some to her friends and family. I couldn't help thinking why don't you bring a few pieces downstairs and raffle them out between the people who paid 75 euro to hear you speak.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Mod Just reminding you guys that this isn't a general chat thread. Stick to #ad & #spon discussion.

I added grace after someone put up the handle to see if there were any shady looking things. Actually really enjoyed the Penneys things cos i'll be holiday shopping soon. I know she was adamant about it not being an ad but I'm so cynical now with them I don't know lol.
    But that bit about the mental health and anxiety, ffs. It's like if you asked a stranger "how are you" in passing and they started telling you about how upset they are. Why do bloggers get all deep and meaningful on snapchat to strangers?
    Is it just me, or is that total BS?

They should all adopt the Doireann approach. Say to themselves"no-one gives a f**k about you" before whinging into your front camera.

I do think that Penneys one was genuine, she was very very clear about that. I enjoyed it too.

I don't think I'll be able to stick her, her accent is really grating.
    Just there she said Bella Baby have "kindly sorted us out" and she's taking over their snapchat. And then not an ad in caps.
    Is that not the definition of an ad!!?

haha I was just about to say that, how can that not be an ad?
    Its advertising in exchange for goods and/or services.
    Does anyone know what the law is, as Ive read conflicting things such as unless it's cash they dont have to #ad/#spon but I have also read that if it's an agreement with a company (so not PR press or freebies they can choose not to snap/put on social media) but an agreement that they will get stuff for free in exchange for social media mentions (apparently Bella Baby have a certain specific number of times you have to mention them and number of postst) then they have to declare it. Ive heard both reports but it's very unclear.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭guideanna

I've been following Grace for a while and while i do enjoy her snaps she is 100% NOT being transparent with followers which annoys me so much because she always goes on that she is!

Ok so it might not be the LAW to declare if you got a freebie HOWEVER if you imply that you bought the item and try hide the fact it was gifted to you then you are leading people on unfairly.

That buggy may not have been a #ad but she totally should be telling people that she didn't buy it either, just a simple comment like "the kind people at bellababy have gifted me this…", no one is begrudging her the freebies (i am jealous but it is her job so fair do's) BUT i hate that she gets on her high horse then and pulls the anxiety card.
    Yea id have anxiety too if i was piss*ng off my followers by misleading them and then getting abuse over it. Just be HONEST, that's the side of her people want to see!

Also had to laugh at the recent penny's receipt that was pulled out..can we see the bella baby receipt as well please? no...

From the ASAI website:
    When a blogger enters into a commercial arrangement with an advertiser to promote the company’s products or services through their blog then they are effectively acting as a publisher and they have a responsibility to indicate to their readers what material is marketing communications (marcom) material.
    If an advertiser provides free products to a blogger (reviewer or vlogger) with a requirement that a positive review would result, then this review would be considered to be a marketing communication and should be identified as such.

How is what Grace is doing, not an "arrangement" with Bella Baby? She's on their Snapchat so that's their own social media platform so surely that's an ad? Ive NEVER seen her say anything but gushing love for them and their products, she consistently plugs them when talking about anything baby related.

Arent a lot of the bloggers signed to an agency surely these agents should be in regular contact with them and explaining the importance of including #ad #spon etc

And Grace apparently has a couple of people working for her now, including an assistant so between that and the agency, it's their job to make sure stuff like this is adhered to if the blogger isn't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

I don't follow too many but one I do frequently asks people not to screenshot her daughter. Now i can understand this on one level BUT she is constanly doing the whole BellaBaby freebies, got this designer children's dress from "so and so", we were sent these bows from "bowsR'us" and so on.
    Now in fairness to her she always has the #ad/ #spon on her snaps but don't have your daughter advertising the goods you have been sent if you are not comfortable with people seeing her. (Also I'm sure that most people are screenshotting the goods rather than the actual child)
    This never really annoyed me until i started following MomFitnessDiary. She has two boys and we never see their faces. She involves them in her activities but edits out their faces and never mentions them by name. Needless to say i dont think iv ever seen her receiving any freebies for them.

• Advertisement

well if that's the case it's no wonder she's' got herself in hot water over the tea, she should know better by now.
    So she's made the comment "bella baby have kindly sorted us out", still not fully transparent. Are you getting a discount, freebies or just the advise that she's mentioned (i highly doubt it) and STILL no mention of the freebie buggy.

And at last i see a #ad for the baby box that has got at least 10 snap mentions now.

It's starting to feel like watching a shopping channel..the more i see, the less i believe!

I can't wait until the next time I get pulled on a complaint from a customer, I'm just going to respond with the classic "They are just jealous haters" or "if they have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all"!! Oh no wait, that wouldn't work in real life.

But on another note, I see where Grace is coming from if she was talking about personal digs but if it is relation to the use of ad/spon and lack of disclosure, she hasn't really got a leg to stand on. It really irks me when influencers make out like they have purchased something from their own money when they haven't! It's not her letting people into her life out of the goodness of her heart, she is making money and/or receiving goods and services. All power to her but it is also the consumers right to complain if they feel duped. In my line of work, I deal with human error daily and if we make a mistake, we deal with the consequences. Can't handle it, you leave, simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

OK, I really needed a deep breath before posting this (and sorry I'm a few hours behind, different time zones..) but OMG Graces snaps sent me into a rage this morning. Using your anxiety and mental health to get out of doing your job correctly is a DISGRACE. I suffer badly from OCD/anxiety, and hearing her come on to cry about people discussing her shadiness, and using her mental health to get out of this actually sickens me. If you can't follow simple rules, you aren't cut out for the job. It's nobodies fault but HERS that she can't hashtag properly. I'm honestly so so angry that she is using a mental illness to try and get out of this, and to get people to stop talking about it. She always spins these situations into someone else being mean to her, it is NEVER her fault. I actually can't cope with listening anymore. Trying to use your tears and make people feel sorry for you is just dreadful.

PHEW. And ANOTHER thing (lol, I'm really going for it this morning) is people on FB etc who when you point out the dodgy dealings (non disclosure etc) going 'you're only jealous, have you nothing better to do?'. Jealous of what, a buggy? I don't have kids, why on earth would I be jealous? Typical response from fans blinded by their idols, honestly it's laughable. Really cross about this this morning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

Ray37 wrote: »
    OK, I really needed a deep breath before posting this (and sorry I'm a few hours behind, different time zones..) but OMG Graces snaps sent me into a rage this morning. Using your anxiety and mental health to get out of doing your job correctly is a DISGRACE. I suffer badly from OCD/anxiety, and hearing her come on to cry about people discussing her shadiness, and using her mental health to get out of this actually sickens me. If you can't follow simple rules, you aren't cut out for the job. It's nobodies fault but HERS that she can't hashtag properly. I'm honestly so so angry that she is using a mental illness to try and get out of this, and to get people to stop talking about it. She always spins these situations into someone else being mean to her, it is NEVER her fault. I actually can't cope with listening anymore. Trying to use your tears and make people feel sorry for you is just dreadful.

PHEW. And ANOTHER thing (lol, I'm really going for it this morning) is people on FB etc who when you point out the dodgy dealings (non disclosure etc) going 'you're only jealous, have you nothing better to do?'. Jealous of what, a buggy? I don't have kids, why on earth would I be jealous? Typical response from fans blinded by their idols, honestly it's laughable. Really cross about this this morning :(

I did think this too, IF it was about the #ad / #spon thing, but she didn't say it was over this. Who knows, she could be reading nasty things about herself somewhere, which i DO NOT agree with, as, all in all she comes across as a lovely girl. BUT, if it is do do with the hashtagging ads etc, then is definitely grinds my gears

I have a feeling its because shes seen posts on facebook and even here talking about the ASAI thing. Not abuse just calling her on this stuff.

Her history of dealing with stuff like this would indicate that to me anyway. Its not the first time she's broken rules and when pulled up, goes on snapchat crying about bullies.

@Lindy I agree. I am on that group discussion on FB, and she herself was a member of the group (looks like she has left). I don't think there were nasty messages sent to her, I think she wants everyone to stop talking about her breaking rules. This isn't the first time tears are being used to make people feel sorry for her, this happens EVERY time she gets called out. How hasnt she learned??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Completely agree with everything you've said. I'd agree that it's never okay to make nasty comments about someone, but I think she's referring to the talk about her lack of transparency and how she constantly misrepresents. I just got that from the way she said "I haven't been feeling great all week and I wasn't going to talk about this..." while this has only come to light about a week ago. It would make sense that that's what she's talking about. But to then use your ongoing mental health struggles as a get out of jail free card and use that to make people feel bad for you- just the pits.
    Also had to laugh at what she said her mother's advice to her was, "get a thicker skin Grace". Mine would be, "play by the rules and don't take your followers for fools, Grace".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Googled fbg to find her Snapchat name. All articles on first page was about her documenting the birth of her child on her Snapchat account. I follow her and her stories being upset and sitting outside therapy crying about hurt feelings, I think if social media plays such a huge role in someone's life that they plan to snapchat through the birth of a child but being pulled on being dishonest sends you into a meltdown it may be time to step back and take a look at what's going on in your life. I feel no empathy at all anymore when she pulls the mental health card.

This blogger is addicted to snapchat. Absolutely addicted. She snaps step by step on how to make tea and coffee, among other things. If she feels her mental health is suffering, she needs to step away from snapchat, as it seems to be the root of the problem for her.

• Advertisement

This blogger is addicted to snapchat. Absolutely addicted. She snaps step by step on how to make tea and coffee, among other things. If she feels her mental health is suffering, she needs to step away from snapchat, as it seems to be the root of the problem for her.

Not ever going to happen while she's getting the freebies! She'll threaten' it every time but shes neglected her blog since her baby came along, snap chat is her bread and butter...IMO!

Advertisement