Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloggers and #ad #spon

Options
  • 19-06-2017 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭

Right so let's pick up where we left off!
    Lately I've noticed Chloe Boucher is being let absolutely raid Penneys and take anything she wants. She seems to only be using the hashtag #iworkwithpenneys and not #ad which it should be. Literally once a month she does the biggest hauls and it's all for free, but no mention of it being an ad or sponsored. I think Penneys think they can get around that by asking them to use #iworkwithpenneys as I've seen a few influencers use the same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I think she has mentioned that they've given her gift cards to use. I do like much of the things she picks up.
    Plus I like that she goes into Penneys and picks out things herself. Rather than other bloggers who are sent stuff to wear before it's available to the general public to whip up a frenzie.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I think she has mentioned that they've given her gift cards to use. I do like much of the things she picks up.
    Plus I like that she goes into Penneys and picks out things herself. Rather than other bloggers who are sent stuff to wear before it's available to the general public to whip up a frenzie.

Yea true. But I do wish she'd use the #ad- because it is an ad. But I'd say that she's just doing as told to by Penneys. I mean who wouldn't love a free raid through Penneys- I know I would! But these makey uppy hashtags are what irks me. Ad and spon are used for a reason. #iworkwithpenneys is too ambiguous, I feel anyway.
    Not dissing Chloe at all either I actually like her a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

anna080 wrote: »
    Yea true. But I do wish she'd use the #ad- because it is an ad .
    She does use #ad for it - if you look at her latest posts on instgram and Facebook in relation to Penneys hauls she has used #ad

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    She does use #ad for it - if you look at her latest posts on instgram and Facebook in relation to Penneys hauls she has used #ad

She used it on FB and insta but not on snapchat where she actually showed the haul. If you were only following her on snapchat you wouldn't know it was an ad. She did a primark haul on YouTube too and only declared sponsorship in the description box and not in the title of the video as required.
    I did notice in her recent haul she mentioned the vouchers but the ones previous she didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

The lack of continuity across platforms bugs me big time. Or when someone says "I'm just putting #ad on this snap because it takes too much time to do it on each one".

If you're getting paid to promote a product you can take the two seconds it takes to write #ad on the snap. Pain in the face yeah, but you're being paid for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dizzyn

I know one thing is that it definitely works! She showed a beach bag a few weeks back and I fell in love and of course went to get it :rolleyes: I don't mind seeing #ad or #sp, but I hate when bloggers try to be deceiving about the whole thing!!

Edit; so sorry MODS, got excited to see this thread and forgot to read the charter. Feel free to remove my post.

allym wrote: »
    The lack of continuity across platforms bugs me big time. Or when someone says "I'm just putting #ad on this snap because it takes too much time to do it on each one".

If you're getting paid to promote a product you can take the two seconds it takes to write #ad on the snap. Pain in the face yeah, but you're being paid for it.

This. If you can put a cutesy filter on every single snap then you can write two letters across the screen.
    Even more annoying is when they only write #ad on the very last snap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Is it not the​ case though that #ad only needs to be applied when the person has been paid? Or does it now apply to free stuff too?

Dolbert wrote: »
    Is it not the​ case though that #ad only needs to be applied when the person has been paid? Or does it now apply to free stuff too?

Vouchers are payment. It's a marketing communication. Freebies are not and do not require #ad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Have you all seen the new IG paid partnership feature that they've rolled out on a limited basis. Really great initiative by the platform to make disclosing relationships easier. Will be interesting to see how much it gets taken up in the wild when released for general use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

Driven mad lately with #sp being shown on only 1 or 2 of about 20 snaps! Put them on all please, so we know when to stop tapping by! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

This is happening with a lot of Irish bloggers. No ad or spon hashtags. But if it's a freebie and they therefore aren't obliged to, I'm not surprised. Very offputting when you don't know if they genuinely like something or are, in essence, being paid but don't state this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I don't follow the typical Irish bloggers but the tech videos I watch tend to just say in the video "big shout out to X for sponsoring this video" or whatever.

Likewise a lot of the menswear Instagram etc. Just saying thanks to X for sending me these shoes, etc.

Is it really that big a deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I think it's fine when they disclose it, the gripe that most people have is someone like a tech influencer recommending a new stereo system for example without disclosing that it was sent to them for free so they'd review it, or that they were being paid to review. In those situations, if they don't disclose the sponsorship, especially with big ticket items, it makes the rest of the review or recommendation feel less truthful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I just watched a YouTube video about this for YT Beauty Bloggers "REAL TALK: SPONSORSHIPS, BRAND TRIPS, FREE PRODUCTS" by Samantha Ravndahl, definitely worth a look!!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

This whole fotostore collage thing facesbygraces did was very sly in my opinion. She made a big song and dance about getting all these materials to make a collage (wooden frame and stickers). Then she made it and snapped it (with the fotostore envelope that the pictures come in, in the background) Spoke about it, and then only did she #ad it.

I knew as soon as she started talking about a collage it would be an ad with that company as she has worked with them before, but she didn't declare to the very end.

So sly.

EDIT: her instagram shows off her artistic design and says "I wanted to have some fun pictures of Sienna but display them differently. I searched Pinterest and came up with this idea! I used the @fotostore.ie app to print my photos, it's the third time I've worked with @fotostore.ie "

To me it looks like they offered her the job and she made up this whole idea. Theres no way she was going to do it in the first place. Her snapchat showed this.

Facesbygrace also started discussing how she wanted a new lens for her camera and how expensive they are, and all of sudden she is plugging some shop on Grafton St, I think they discounted the lens for her. Knew the moment a lens was mentioned, there would be some kind of advert. I think she did get money off the lens, so I don't think #ad/sp is really needed, but I find it tiresome when a bloggers starts talking about something they want, then all of a sudden some store, or service is plugged.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

If somebody receives something for free but is asked to give a positive review on the item then it needs to be #ad.

I agree Ray37. Bloggers asking for info on such and such an item. Then magically having it and promoting place they got it should be #ad!

Or I'm working with 'such and such' they just sent me some stuff to welcome me, but this isn't an ad.

There was a statement from ASAI I saw today. Can I post that here?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Work away idunno78

I can't see why you can't post from ASAI, it'd be good to have these guidelines shared on this thread!

• Advertisement

Thanks Liz. just wanted to be sure Ray!

Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland issues reminder that primary responsibility for the recognisability of paid for marketing communication rests with brands and advertisers

Onus is on brands and advertisers to ensure sponsored bloggers or influencers uphold the ASAI code, but all parties involved have a duty of responsibility
    ASAI recommends use of a clearly identifiable hashtag such as #Ad or #SP

June 2017

The Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland (The ASAI), who recently introduced new guidance on the ‘Recognisability of Marketing Communications’, is reminding advertisers that primary responsibility for the recognisability of marketing communications rests with the advertiser or brand. The organisation is, however, reminding all parties involved that they have a duty of responsibility.

Where celebrities, bloggers or influencers are sponsored by brands or paid directly to promote a product, it must be clear these posts are marketing communications. Bloggers and online influencers are already required to adhere to the ASAI’s Code of Standards for Advertising and Marketing Communications in Ireland, which applies to all commercial marketing communications, regardless of the medium in which they appear. However, the onus is on the advertiser to ensure that bloggers or influencers follow the ASAI Guidelines and identify all marketing communications, while also ensuring the content is legal, decent, honest and truthful.

In the context of recognisability, the importance of transparency for the consumer is particularly reflected in Section 3.32 of the Code, as follows:

Marketing communications should not misrepresent their true purpose. Marketing communications should not be presented as, for example, market research, consumer surveys, user-generated content, private blogs, or independent reviews if their purpose is marketing, i.e. the promotion of a product.

Non-adherence to the Code may ultimately result in the ASAI upholding a breach under the Code and which may be published in the general media.

To achieve Code compliance, the ASAI is recommending the use of a clearly identifiable hashtag such as #Ad or #SP. The chosen identifiable hashtag must be clear from the beginning of the content. Disclaimers should be visible for consumers to see before they interact with or read the relevant material. A disclaimer that appears below- the-fold on websites, in terms and conditions, or at the end of the marketing communication is not sufficient.

full article -
    http://www.asai.ie/press-releases/advertising-standards-authority-for-ireland-issues-reminder-that-primary-responsibility-for-the-recognisability-of-paid-for-marketing-communication-rests-with-brands-and-advertisers/

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

http://www.thejournal.ie/sponsored-content-snapchat-advertising-3458512-Jun2017/

"The advertising watchdog has handled its first complaint about a Snapchat influencer

Faces By Grace came under scrutiny over a post about a detox drink."

The worst offender :D

No action being taken though :rolleyes:

Was it someone from here (or the last thread) who made the complaint?

I made a complaint against her to ASAI re the same product, and I know some others that have too, so it's possible that this was reported numerous times, hence the 'response'. I also contacted the company in question, and recieved nothing short of a 'we don't care' kind of message from the owner (my issue with the promo of this tea is that FBG claimed you can lose 5lbs a week). The ASAI need to get their finger out, I truly don't understand why they won't take action and at least make an example of even one blogger, nevermind one who repeatedly breaks their rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

This is the problem with Snapchat as the snaps are only around for 24hours. There is no valid proof of them not adhering to the rules when you can't find the snaps again.

Almost every bloggers that when promoting something on snapchat does not use the #ad correctly! They talk about it for one or two snaps then #ad. They might just use #ad every 3-4 snaps. Or just use it in the last one!

If it's against guidelines they should get in trouble or whatever the repercussions are for it! Not just warned not to do it!

Does anyone get the feeling that they are 'untouchable', I mean if a company repeatedly broke advertising rules, I am sure they would be held accountable? I hate going on and on about it (my friends are probably sick to death of me talking about this subject) BUT how is it fair? If someone in an office constantly refuses to follow guidelines, they have to answer for it. It really annoys me, because it's being done to be sneaky and trick those who maybe aren't as social media savvy as some people, into believing this 'amazing product' just happens to be one of their faves. I find it so underhanded and wrong TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

http://www.thejournal.ie/sponsored-content-snapchat-advertising-3458512-Jun2017/

"The advertising watchdog has handled its first complaint about a Snapchat influencer

Faces By Grace came under scrutiny over a post about a detox drink."

The worst offender :D

No action being taken though :rolleyes:

Was it someone from here (or the last thread) who made the complaint?

She got a mention in the Indo as well today

Ok, I am annoyed now. Rosemary Mac Cabe has tweeted about how FBG is ALWAYS being targeted/reported for lack of #ad etc... But does she ask WHY?? Come on, she has broken rules multiple times, and even the law with the baby formula fiasco.

Ray37 wrote: »
    Ok, I am annoyed now. Rosemary Mac Cabe has tweeted about how FBG is ALWAYS being targeted/reported for lack of #ad etc... But does she ask WHY?? Come on, she has broken rules multiple times, and even the law with the baby formula fiasco.

Lol. She's always being reported because she's always breaking the rules. Duh, Rosemary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

anna080 wrote: »
    Lol. She's always being reported because she's always breaking the rules. Duh, Rosemary.

I think Rosemary is just looking for attention putting her spoke in especially after everything that happened at the gossies.

FBG is really playing the victim here, she was in the wrong. I remember those snaps as I was annoyed about it at the time. It was basically her word against the person who lodged the complaint. She denied it, and has now taken to twitter to blame the tea company?

Its funny that its only coming to light now that she isn't an ambassador anymore. I presume the make up fairy isn't either as she hasn't mentioned it in months? The tea company has moved to Z list UK reality stars endorsing it now.

Advertisement