Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloggers and #ad #spon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

What I am really so sick of is bloggers doing the 'sly beg', aka 'anyone know a hotel in Belfast with a ballroom, we just can't find one for my masterclass' - Sue. 'Anyone know where I can get long evening gowns?' - MUF. 'I need a camera lens, but they are so expensive' - FBG. My God, just come out with it and ask for the freebies you want!! It's so cringe and scabby. And MUF is dead out of touch, 70 quid isn't a mad price for gels on hands and feet, especially if it includes a full mani/pedi. Side note, if I see those lip things of hers once more, I may scream!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Ray37 wrote: »
    What I am really so sick of is bloggers doing the 'sly beg', aka 'anyone know a hotel in Belfast with a ballroom, we just can't find one for my masterclass' - Sue. 'Anyone know where I can get long evening gowns?' - MUF. 'I need a camera lens, but they are so expensive' - FBG. My God, just come out with it and ask for the freebies you want!! It's so cringe and scabby. And MUF is dead out of touch, 70 quid isn't a mad price for gels on hands and feet, especially if it includes a full mani/pedi. Side note, if I see those lip things of hers once more, I may scream!!

I know it's gas. Holly Carpenter was given a car last week to drive for the week and she's doing her best hinting to see will they give it her for free. She thinks she's being so subtle as well. I find it hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

JJ was on yesterday talking briefly yesterday about using hashtags, and saying 'everyones going mental about them, but that's another days rant'. Ok, I'm sorry, but she is one of the worst offenders. And everyone is 'going mental' because you can't follow a simple rule. So sick of this diva attitude some of them have, it's not a suggestion to use them, it's a rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

JJ was on yesterday talking briefly yesterday about using hashtags, and saying 'everyones going mental about them, but that's another days rant'. Ok, I'm sorry, but she is one of the worst offenders. And everyone is 'going mental' because you can't follow a simple rule. So sick of this diva attitude some of them have, it's not a suggestion to use them, it's a rule.

Ugh that is so irritating, do your job! It's not a hobby, do your job properly!! Most people can't get away with it half arsed so why should they, it's not that hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

It seems to irritate MUF too. I remember her saying ages ago on snapchat if you were working in an office would you stand up and say to your colleagues "just to let you all know I'm being paid to do this work." :D

I always wonder what the age bracket of their followers are. I asked my 15 year old niece if she follows any of them (she's better at doing make up than I am) and she said no they all seem weird.

• Advertisement

I can't believe she actually said that. How embarrassing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Mod note Post deleted as it is off topic and not in the spirit of the forum. Please read the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Lindy97

Apparently a new travel buggy from...yes you guessed it...Bella Baby, seems to be the item of the month. Two "influencers" have gotten the same one in the same week. One led people to believe she had bought it, mentioned the website and that the colour she actually wanted wasn't in stock yet but having seen another blogger get one, I'm pretty positive it was a freebie in exchange for social media plugs, with of course demos and the link on snapchat along with the price of €450

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Wexy86

Oh the buggies were def freebies, Grace led her followers to believe that she paid for it when she talked about looking for a buggy for a while and this was perfect and then making sure to mention when the other colour is back in stock. I know nothing needs to be declared when no money exchanged hands but just be honest that it was gifted. We'll prob get a few updates while she's away on the buggy as Bella baby usually make sure theres a certain amount of social media mentions in exchange for goods. And then it will disappear in to abyss never to be heard of or seen again. don't follow JJ but I seen on a Facebook group that she was the other one.

That's it, I got attacked for pointing it all out on a group the other day "what's it to you if she spends 450? she just wants the best for her child?"  Its infuriating. A) she probably didnt spend that, B) she's peddling the latest item from Bella Baby to mums who are so tired, stressed and fecked off they think they need these things to make their lives easier C) just because it costs 450 doesnt make it the best and D) she's making out like she bought it herself so is deliberately misdirecting people away from it being an ad.

I could care less about them getting stuff for free but not saying it was a gift and worse still, leading to believe that you paid for it are horrible traits and give the blogging world a bad name in my opinion. She is definitely one of the worst,  despite claiming constantly how transparent she is, whether she's doing it on purpose or is just incredibly clueless remains to be seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Lindy97 wrote: »
    That's it, I got attacked for pointing it all out on a group the other day "what's it to you if she spends 450? she just wants the best for her child?"  Its infuriating. A) she probably didnt spend that, B) she's peddling the latest item from Bella Baby to mums who are so tired, stressed and fecked off they think they need these things to make their lives easier C) just because it costs 450 doesnt make it the best and D) she's making out like she bought it herself so is deliberately misdirecting people away from it being an ad.
    Who attacked you?

Sorry it wasn't here, on another facebook group

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Sorry it wasn't here, on another facebook group

On Galz who Snap?

Nope, not on there.
    It doesnt really matter where it was, it was more the "what's it to you?" attitude which you can get anywhere (except here really), when if you ask me, as a consumer I do have a right to question if something is an ad. And by that logic, we shouldn't discuss anything they do or say unless it directly affects us. It was clear to me pretty quickly that she'd been given the item and its not the first time she's plugged stuff that's (in my opinion) mad money and not a necessity.

I swear these bloggers have made me never want to shop in Bella Baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Surly if they have to post a certain amount of posts about it that qualifies as ad? Saw the big post on the FB page mentioned above and one or two girls going mad at people! Like someone said it's the lying about how you got it not the fact you got it people care about! People will like you more for being honest!

Ive seen people say "I don't care if she's not saying it's an ad, fair play to her!"or "you'd take any freebies you could get" you can't reason with that logic. Some folk think that the sun shines out of these bloggers rear ends, and any criticism of them is tearing other women down/not supporting them.

I'll be the first to support a woman in business, I'm just not going to blindly support someone with no integrity or business ethics who flouts the law, and cries victim when called on anything, even if we both have vaginas. They are business people who make a fair amount of money at this game so they are open to the rules and laws same as any business or company. The fact they seem like a normal every day girl is not the point. We're all normal every day people ffs.

If you criticise them in any way then you're either a "hater" or you're "jealous". And don't forget "if you don't like them don't follow them!"

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Many of you probably know that I'm a food blogger and have been for many years. And honesty is very important to me.

Last night, the restaurant Taste at Rustic had a 2nd birthday party and they invited lots of people in. So obviously there were lots of Twitter updates and Insta Stories (probably Snaps too, but I've abandoned Snapchat due to its inanity). Now all these people were guests, so #ad or #spon didn't apply. However I would have liked to see #guest or #invited or the like. Just something to say that you were getting this meal for free. Instead I saw lots of gushing and compliments. It is a good restaurant, and I've enjoyed myself there many times, but again, it's the lack of transparency that's bugging me

You've summed it up there dudara, it's the lack of transparency that annoys most people, not begrudging them anything. I dont mind the launches and lunches so much. Most of us on here are pretty wise to most of them but there are a huge number of people who take what these people say as gospel and buy what they're selling, companies wouldn't bother with them otherwise so they obviously affect sales etc.

The baby stuff is a bug bear with me as I had a baby around the same time as a couple of them, and I can see how when you're tired, desperate, doubting everything and mentally exhausted and looking for any help you can get, some blogger banging on about how great their baby slept in this cushion for 250, can get into your brain and convince you that this might help. I think new parents are particularly vulnerable to this.

Grace is having another breakdown on Snapchat this morning over people attacking her and basically blaming online commentary for her mental health problems. Sorry but she's been very topical this last week due to her breaking the rules and being investigated for that. She seems to be taking the discussion around that as people bullying her (as usual) and being nasty for the sake of it.
    Maybe play by the rules Grace, once in a while. Then people wouldn't need to point out when you mess up, lie and misrepresent so much.
    She never takes ANY responsibility for the situations she is is- it's always someone else's fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

Throw a few snapchat handles at me ladies please :-)

Is she going to have a go at the Journal and Irish Independent also for publishing the story about her? Or is it just facebook groups and chat rooms that are to blame?  also the logic that is thrown at us regularly "if you don't like it, don't follow" she could apply to herself and not follow the groups that discuss snapchatters etc?...just a thought.

Christ, she never changes. I agree with not being nasty about her personally, that's not on, so if that's what she's referring to then fair enough but she is in the news for breaking regulations and guidelines and she hasnt once acknowledged that. Just people saying negative things about her hurts her feelings.

I do worry that social media isnt the place for people who have such thin skin that if they're criticised even on a business level, they get so upset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

anna080 wrote: »
    Grace is having another breakdown on Snapchat this morning over people attacking her and basically blaming online commentary for her mental health problems. Sorry but she's been very topical this last week due to her breaking the rules and being investigated for that. She seems to be taking the discussion around that as people bullying her (as usual) and being nasty for the sake of it.
    Maybe play by the rules Grace, once in a while. Then people wouldn't need to point out when you mess up, lie and misrepresent so much.
    She never takes ANY responsibility for the situations she is is- it's always someone else's fault.

I'd wonder why she doesn't leave the blogging world if it's causing her ill health? Too lucrative I guess!

It's not hard to act within basic rules, other bloggers like the beautiful truth manage to be honest and have a baby too so why can't Grace!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

Is she going to have a go at the Journal and Irish Independent also for publishing the story about her? Or is it just facebook groups and chat rooms that are to blame?  also the logic that is thrown at us regularly "if you don't like it, don't follow" she could apply to herself and not follow the groups that discuss snapchatters etc?...just a thought.

Christ, she never changes. I agree with not being nasty about her personally, that's not on, so if that's what she's referring to then fair enough but she is in the news for breaking regulations and guidelines and she hasnt once acknowledged that. Just people saying negative things about her hurts her feelings.

I do worry that social media isnt the place for people who have such thin skin that if they're criticised even on a business level, they get so upset.

Links?
    Im so nosey :D

Its facesbygrace23 I think, on snapchat

I can't look, I'm blocked :o

HAHA what did you do?

I snapped her asking for more beauty stuff and less baby stuff :o I shouldn't have, I'd had a few drinks and was watching her boring snaps and getting annoyed! The odd time I had seen her doing makeup stuff I really enjoyed it. But it was just a pity that the vast majority of her content was so mundane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Im no tax expert but does BIK not apply to these freebes... i know of cases where GAA players who turned down sponorsed cars coz of BIK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

I snapped her asking for more beauty stuff and less baby stuff :o I shouldn't have, I'd had a few drinks and was watching her boring snaps and getting annoyed! The odd time I had seen her doing makeup stuff I really enjoyed it. But it was just a pity that the vast majority of her content was so mundane.

You asked a make up blogger to talk about make up and were blocked.. :D

Advertisement