Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dumping rubbish at beaches

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

A tough love approach may be needed. No beach clean up for the month of July. Then when August comes and Johnny & Jacinta are swimming in their own rubbish they may get the message.

Except Jonny and Jacinta not only believe it's the council that should clean up after them, they also believe they are liable for the lump of glass Jacinta stood on at the beach.

People that leave rubbish in public like that are dragged up scumbags. It's a very basic lesson you teach a child, don't litter. For grown adults to do it is disrespectful and crass.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The lack of bins is no excuse. If I hit the park/beach/forest with a bag of cans I leave with a bag of empty cans. If I've a box of bottles I leave with a box of empty bottles.

And once again, if you walk the entire way from where you were to your eventual destination and there's no non-stuffed bin between the two places, what are you supposed to do exactly?

I am in no way exaggerating when I say that it seemed as if every bin in the south city centre was full on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

What gets me the most about these people is that during the Euros last year we all saw those videos of "the lads" cleaning up after themselves and sure weren't they great lads altogether! So why the **** can't they do it over here too? As for hatrick patrick? Your arguments are ludicrous.This behaviour CANNOT be justified. It's just lazy selfish pig ignorant people.

What gets me the most about these people is that during the Euros last year we all saw those videos of "the lads" cleaning up after themselves and sure weren't they great lads altogether! So why the **** can't they do it over here too? As for hatrick patrick? Your arguments are ludicrous.This behaviour CANNOT be justified. It's just lazy selfish pig ignorant people.

I'm only asking a simple question, which so far nobody has answered. Should a person who lives thirty minutes outside town and is a two minute walk away from their next destination be forced to travel all the way home and back to get rid of three empty cans just because DCC have been stripping Dublin of public bins over the last several years? And if not, what is their alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I'm only asking a simple question, which so far nobody has answered. Should a person who lives thirty minutes outside town and is a two minute walk away from their next destination be forced to travel all the way home and back to get rid of three empty cans just because DCC have been stripping Dublin of public bins over the last several years? And if not, what is their alternative?

How many people over the weekend do you reckon were in that exact situation? Very few if any I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I'd say if they traipsed from the off licence with a bag of cans to the beach, it wouldn't be unreasonable to take the empties with them and deposit them in another bin

How many people over the weekend do you reckon were in that exact situation? Very few if any I'd say.

You mean hardly anyone lives in the suburbs and comes into town for a session on the bus or dart? :confused:
    Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I'd say if they traipsed from the off licence with a bag of cans to the beach, it wouldn't be unreasonable to take the empties with them and deposit them in another bin

You're ignoring the point I'm making - bins were overflowing all over the feckin' city this weekend, it's not like it was only the bins in the immediate vicinity of the Grand Canal. Dublin has too few bins in general, is the point I'm trying to make. I honestly wouldn't be surprised at all if the entire public waste disposal apparatus of Dublin regularly failed to meet capacity when the total amount of available storage space in bins and the frequency of collections is taken into account. As my dad likes to say, 3 into 2 doesn't go - if the average capacity of a bin was 50 litres and there were 50 bins in the city for a grand total of 2,500 litres capacity, but people in the city produced 5,000 litres of waste in public spaces in between collections (arbitrary numbers to make the point, obviously), then the obvious conclusion is that the county council isn't doing it's job, plain and simple. It's a situation which should simply never arise to begin with.

As I have said, I have no sympathy or time for the idiots who left sh!te strewn all over the grass, but in my view it's perfectly reasonable to make as tidy a new pile as possible beside an overflowing bin if you've looked around town a bit and can't find a single one that isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭SteM

And once again, if you walk the entire way from where you were to your eventual destination and there's no non-stuffed bin between the two places, what are you supposed to do exactly?

I am in no way exaggerating when I say that it seemed as if every bin in the south city centre was full on Sunday.

So going by the pictures from the canal here's what happened. Loads of people had a really lovely day drinking and eating by the canal, at the end of the day they packed all of their rubbish up and brought it with them to dispose it in bins on their way to whatever pub they were going to, found that every bin was full along the way so they went back to the canal and dumped their **** there.

Or they didn't bother bringing it with them at all in the first place.

I wonder which scenario actually happened with 99% of the groups there?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I think that this comment from someone on lovindublin.com says all that needs to be said 'Nothing even to do with the council. It's just typical lazy, dirty, ignorant pricks with no respect for their city. What a lovely city pity we have mindless fools leaving **** everywhere.' :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

just accept that many people living in Ireland are scumbags and care nothing for anyone or anything else except themselves

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I took a walk to the beach yesterday on my lunch. Everyone had the same idea! Everyone seemed capable of bringing their rubbish to the bin that was 10 metres away, except whoever it was who decided to leave a smoothie cup and coffee cup on the wall where everyone sits. Why? What is so different about them to everyone else who managed to clean up their couple of bits?

Really bugs me.

It's never happened. And I live in Dundalk which is hardly known for it's plethora of empty bins. And also...
    Did the people who left their **** go and check on the bins on the way to their destination then come back and decide to leave their ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

You mean hardly anyone lives in the suburbs and comes into town for a session on the bus or dart? :confused:

You're ignoring the point I'm making - bins were overflowing all over the feckin' city this weekend, it's not like it was only the bins in the immediate vicinity of the Grand Canal. Dublin has too few bins in general, is the point I'm trying to make. I honestly wouldn't be surprised at all if the entire public waste disposal apparatus of Dublin regularly failed to meet capacity when the total amount of available storage space in bins and the frequency of collections is taken into account. As my dad likes to say, 3 into 2 doesn't go - if the average capacity of a bin was 50 litres and there were 50 bins in the city for a grand total of 2,500 litres capacity, but people in the city produced 5,000 litres of waste in public spaces in between collections (arbitrary numbers to make the point, obviously), then the obvious conclusion is that the county council isn't doing it's job, plain and simple. It's a situation which should simply never arise to begin with.

As I have said, I have no sympathy or time for the idiots who left sh!te strewn all over the grass, but in my view it's perfectly reasonable to make as tidy a new pile as possible beside an overflowing bin if you've looked around town a bit and can't find a single one that isn't.

I'd say it has too many bins.

We don't need such a disposable culture and its poor attitude that says @I need a convenient place to throw away my rubbish@ - it makes people think rubbish is no big deal and its nothing to worry about.

Take responsibility for your own stuff.

One of the tidiest places in Dublin is the botanic gardens. Your very rarely see any rubbish there. And guess what - there isn't a single bin in the place. Its just a no-no to throw away litter there, and its one of the few places that you'd be called out by members of the public for doing so.

I took a walk to the beach yesterday on my lunch. Everyone had the same idea! Everyone seemed capable of bringing their rubbish to the bin that was 10 metres away, except whoever it was who decided to leave a smoothie cup and coffee cup on the wall where everyone sits. Why? What is so different about them to everyone else who managed to clean up their couple of bits?

Really bugs me.

We have this at our GAA ground every week. Granted, there's no bins at the ground itself, but each week there's a detritus of coffee cups and plastic bottles from the parents on the side lines. We pick them up and bring them to the bins, which you pass on the way to the car park. It's infuriating and tiresome. Some people simply think that the rubbish they create is someone else's problem and not theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ireland has very little in the way of ingrained civic responsibility, ah shur the bin men/council/whoever will sort it and gather it up. Ah shur the oul dog sh!tes everywhere, god love him, what can you do?

It's like the attitude of a badly behaved child who expects the parents to clean up their mess.

The lack of bins is not a valid excuse. What if it was up the mountains/in the countryside where there are NO bins, does the same logic still apply?

You brought your sh!te out there....you bring it home and dispose of it responsibly.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

People who wantonly litter are ignorant, selfish filthy pigs. Litter is still a problem in Ireland but I think it's better than, say, 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

JupiterKid wrote: »
    People who wantonly litter are ignorant, selfish filthy pigs. Litter is still a problem in Ireland but I think it's better than, say, 20 years ago.

Yes and no.
    Far more packaging and 'disposable' consumer goods now.

On the other hand, there are more recycling centres and dumping of large things like cars at the side of the road isn't as much of a problem as before although I do see a share of cars, vans and other things 'out on grass' as it were.
    There are a significant number of the perpetually lazy and uncaring in the population. No amount of recycling centres is going to discourage a lazy sod driving out in the dead of night with a car loaded with black bags or a fridge or sofa.

What's needed is the big stick of fines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

You brought your sh!te out there....you bring it home and dispose of it responsibly.

This.

Ireland has very little in the way of ingrained civic responsibility, ah shur the bin men/council/whoever will sort it and gather it up. Ah shur the oul dog sh!tes everywhere, god love him, what can you do?

It's like the attitude of a badly behaved child who expects the parents to clean up their mess.

The lack of bins is not a valid excuse. What if it was up the mountains/in the countryside where there are NO bins, does the same logic still apply?

It's what separates us from other EU countries that people have mentioned. We're a socially immature nation with a sizable majority that have the attitude of a petulant child. It's quite embarrassing. It's only when you go to other EU countries that you see how underdeveloped we are for civic responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    It's what separates us from other EU countries that people have mentioned. We're a socially immature nation with a sizable majority that have the attitude of a petulant child. It's quite embarrassing. It's only when you go to other EU countries that you see how underdeveloped we are for civic responsibility.

This.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Ok, so what do you suggest they do? Would you find it acceptable for people to pile rubbish directly beside / leaning against overflowing bins, if they weren't in a position to bring it with them to wherever their next destination was?

I agree that leaving it strewn everywhere is scummy, but equally I find the "bring it home" mantra ridiculous when everyone knows that for young people at least, they're almost certainly moving on to a venue of some kind, most likely with security / doormen who would absolutely forbid anyone from coming inside with a bunch of empty containers.

If I understand you correctly, they don't have cars to place their rubbish into until they get home ?
    If you can't take your rubbish home, don't bring anything with you that could create rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

You just go ahead and have your barbecue. Leave your junk there, don't worry the clean up crew will be along soon to clean it all up. Do call again.

IMG_640x480.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I live very near two beaches, around here people take there rubbish home with them or use the bins you never see rubbish on the beach also there is a well know teenager drinking hang out near me and I have seen the teenagers bring the cans back with them and put them in to a recycle bin. The one thing that is not changing is the dog poo it is still ever where very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

That spot (near Clogherhead, Louth) is the opposite. A while back there were cans, empty bottles, pizza boxes. It gets cleaned pretty quick but they a still a pack of ***** for just dumping crap and nobody seems to bring a thing away with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Always the same. No respect for anyone or anything. Parents dragging these kids up need to take stock.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/excrement-and-condoms-found-after-illegal-rave-at-derrynane-dunes-1.3181377

Advertisement