Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dumping rubbish at beaches

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

They don't even have to bring it home. Theres plenty of bins around to dispose of their rubbish but nah thats too much effort for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

jonnycivic wrote: »
    They don't even have to bring it home. Theres plenty of bins around to dispose of their rubbish but nah thats too much effort for them.

Well the second pic actually shows that the bins were completely overflowing, but people still left their crap beside it.

I don't understand it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Ignorant, lazy, selfish and antisocial.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well the second pic actually shows that the bins were completely overflowing, but people still left their crap beside it.

I don't understand it at all.

Well leaving it by the bin more than likely the bin men will take it and dispose of it. Leaving it all over the ground and its not gonig to get cleaned up. They should have litter wardens out to sort this out in fairness.

Sure the sea will take it away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I can understand leaving it by the bin, yes it's unsightly, but one would think the council may take proactive action and schedule an early morning pickup the day after a reasonably good day weather wise.

Leaving it by the bin is definitely preferred to leaving it on the beach itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Cause were a nation of self centred out for themselves horrible people.

Don't know what has happened in the last decade but it's depressing.

It's why we can't have nice things, people just ruin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Rubbish dumping in general be it at beaches is disgusting and ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

razorblunt wrote: »
    I can understand leaving it by the bin, yes it's unsightly, but one would think the council may take proactive action and schedule an early morning pickup the day after a reasonably good day weather wise.

Leaving it by the bin is definitely preferred to leaving it on the beach itself.

Or maybe just taking it home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I did a day volunteering cleaning up a beach once (not community service, honest).
    And it was sickening the crap we bagged that day. Nappies and glass/plastic bottles were most common but loads of random crap too. Rugsacks. Clothes. Tents. Bags of domestic rubbish.
    The dunes were where the real gems were dumped.

There are some right scummers out there, no doubt about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

GBX wrote: »
    Rubbish dumping in general be it at beaches is disgusting and ignorant.

People who don't care.........don't care........about being disgusting, or about being ignorant.

Same with any type of litter......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Warm weather draws people to the beaches, especially at weekends, bins fill up quickly. Pity the local council cant figure this out and do more bin collections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Cities should be walled in and the inmates only allowed to leave on limited day passes when they the prove themselves mature and able.

Lol, last decade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Dragged up, lazy, dirty people. There's plenty of them around and unfortunately the sun brings them out in their droves. They'll probably be on to Joe to blame someone else shortly - the lack of facilities etc etc.

degsie wrote: »
    Warm weather draws people to the beaches, especially at weekends, bins fill up quickly. Pity the local council cant figure this out and do more bin collections.

Couldn't disagree with this more.

Firstly - think through the logic of it; council workers collecting refuse, low paid workers doing an unpleasant job with no incentive system/ bonus structure for working extra hours (because the 'public' wouldn't tolerate it).

And you expect these people to work extra shifts on the random weekend that the sun shines......why exactly? Because that's what they are paid to do? No they aren't.

Secondly......Person at the beach doesn't pick up their rubbish - and its someone elses fault? Because there was nowhere to put the rubbish? They don't have a bin in their own house? They were able to BRING all the plastic containers, cans etc onto the beach when they were full. But they cant Bring them away when they are empty.....?

Of course - its the councils fault.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree with this more.

Firstly - think through the logic of it; council workers collecting refuse, low paid workers doing an unpleasant job with no incentive system/ bonus structure for working extra hours (because the 'public' wouldn't tolerate it).

Are they low paid? Compared to the some jobs in the private sector?
    Cause were a nation of self centred out for themselves horrible people.

It's why we can't have nice things, people just ruin it.

I don't think it's just an Irish thing, I live in the UK and see it here. Though I have to say come the summer they have their litter trucks out very very early in the morning.
    In Edinburgh in August, you'd often be walking past the lads on your way home from a night out.

Are they low paid? Compared to the some jobs in the private sector?

I don't think it's just an Irish thing, I live in the UK and see it here. Though I have to say come the summer they have their litter trucks out very very early in the morning.
    In Edinburgh in August, you'd often be walking past the lads on your way home from a night out.

Yes they are low paid. Don't be ridiculous. Do you think they are sending people out to pick up rubbish on consultants wages?

Low paid, whether its a little less or a little more than someone else who is low paid......is still low paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,265 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Could be worse. Could be dumping rubbish at beatches

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Cities should be walled in and the inmates only allowed to leave on limited day passes when they the prove themselves mature and able.

Cities...

There is plenty of dumping in rural ireland believe me.

• Advertisement

Yes they are low paid. Don't be ridiculous. Do you think they are sending people out to pick up rubbish on consultants wages?

Low paid, whether its a little less or a little more than someone else who is low paid......is still low paid.

Of course I don't. It was a genuine question.
    That doesn't mean you don't expect them to not do it because they're low paid.

Perhaps someone on higher wages should have the foresight to plan ahead and schedule the working week accordingly. Or do all bins not get picked up at the weekend?

Thanks for confirming ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

And you expect these people to work extra shifts on the random weekend that the sun shines......why exactly? Because that's what they are paid to do? No they aren't.
    I don't think anyones saying they should be made work for free or anything. Either the council understands the beach will be busy during the summer and exta staff may be needed or pay them extra.

Secondly......Person at the beach doesn't pick up their rubbish - and its someone elses fault? Because there was nowhere to put the rubbish? They don't have a bin in their own house? They were able to BRING all the plastic containers, cans etc onto the beach when they were full. But they cant Bring them away when they are empty.....?

It's all well and good saying that but even if everyone did everything right it's likely there would still be rubbish.

If the beaches are to be an amenity that people go to then it makes sense to have people cleaning up. You can cry foul of people leaving rubbish behind but it happens, it will happen, and it's either a case of we're going to clean it up or moan about it.

I'm fairly sure in other countries like Spain they have people going around cleaning all day.

Of course I don't. It was a genuine question.
    That doesn't mean you don't expect them to not do it because they're low paid.

Perhaps someone on higher wages should have the foresight to plan ahead and schedule the working week accordingly. Or do all bins not get picked up at the weekend?

It entirely does mean I would expect them not to do it.

I expect them to do the job they are paid for.

I don't expect them do be available for extra shifts at short notice, on the random weekend where the sun shines - the one weekend of the year where everyone wants to be out enjoying themselves.

Anyway, its completely besides the point. People should tidy up after themselves.

There are a number of parks around where there are no bins - like the botanic gardens. And people don't throw rubbish about.

A problem in some respects is that people think its ok to dump rubbish 'beside' a bin when the bin is full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's dumping. Bring the stuff home with you ffs.

ThisRegard wrote: »

So you are in favour of not having any kind of bin at any beach?

ThisRegard wrote: »

So I'm eating at McDonalds, the bin is full, I should take my stuff home with me to dump?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

degsie wrote: »
    So you are in favour of not having any kind of bin at any beach?

That's some leap of logic right there to extrapolate that from what I said, how did you come up with that?
    So I'm eating at McDonalds, the bin is full, I should take my stuff home with me to dump?

Are you dumping it on the ground outside? I know you're trying to be deliberately facetious because even a 3 year old can understand the obvious difference between dumping and leaving something behind on a table.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

ScumLord wrote: »

I'm fairly sure in other countries like Spain they have people going around cleaning all day.

Who's going to shell out for that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

In Mcdonalds you paid them money for a meal, they provide you a place to dump the packaging the meal came in.

How does this apply to the beach ?

Advertisement