Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dumping rubbish at beaches

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Go to a beach in Portugal or Spain at 8pm after a hot day and the place is spotless.

Go to a beach here at 8pm over the weekend and its absolutely reckless. Plastic mineral bottles, glass beer bottles, crisp packets, disposable BBQs, nappies scattered all over the place.

Its the mentality of a lot of the people who go to the beach. I once almost got a in a fight for asking a group of lads to take their 40 empty bottles of beer with them as they left the beach.

There is a new initiative I seen as two beaches this week - 2 minute Beach Clean Up. A grabber and bags are left on a display board and people are encouraged to spend 2 minutes picking up rubbish from the beach. I dont mind doing it but you would get sick of cleaning up after these selfish, ignorant pr1cks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Who's going to shell out for that?
    Tax paying citizens. Things cost money, either we pay the cost of live with the rubbish.

It could just require some preplanning. For the summer instead of doing the clean up on a Friday do it on a Saturday or Sunday evening.
    BPKS wrote: »
    Go to a beach in Portugal or Spain at 8pm after a hot day and the place is spotless.
    And it's probably a lot of the same littering Irish people at those beaches in Spain and Portugal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

In Mcdonalds you paid them money for a meal, they provide you a place to dump the packaging the meal came in.

How does this apply to the beach ?

It's a public service, the same way I'd expect a street to be clean and city bins not to be left overflowing.

All I'm saying is that if I were in charge of the department responsible for this, I'd have morning bin collections scheduled for every Sunday morning of the summer, or make it the starting point of a collection route.

I'm not blaming the cleaners themselves who are just doing their job. This only applies to rubbish left by the bin too, anything on the beach itself is not for discussion.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Tax paying citizens. Things cost money, either we pay the cost of live with the rubbish.

It could just require some preplanning. For the summer instead of doing the clean up on a Friday do it on a Saturday or Sunday evening.

And it's probably a lot of the same littering Irish people at those beaches in Spain and Portugal.

That's exactly it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

razorblunt wrote: »
    It's a public service, the same way I'd expect a street to be clean and city bins not to be left overflowing.

All I'm saying is that if I were in charge of the department responsible for this, I'd have morning bin collections scheduled for every Sunday morning of the summer, or make it the starting point of a collection route.

I'm not blaming the cleaners themselves who are just doing their job. This only applies to rubbish left by the bin too, anything on the beach itself is not for discussion.

So you're OK with people throwing rubbish on the ground on the basis there's a street cleaners? Why should I bother with my domestic refuse collection when I can dump it(a mentality many idiots already share).

ThisRegard wrote: »

Are you dumping it on the ground outside? I know you're trying to be deliberately facetious because even a 3 year old can understand the obvious difference between dumping and leaving something behind on a table.

I'm not being facetious at all, I don't think leaving something beside a full bin (provided it can't blow away) is the same as leaving your rubbish strewn on a beach. If I was in a restaurant, I'd leave the tray close to the bin or ideally tell a worker.

As someone said, I think a late evening / early morning pickup can be scheduled in for the summer months when higher volumes are aniticpated. It doesn't stop the littering on the beach but it can help the unsightly overflow.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    So you're OK with people throwing rubbish on the ground on the basis there's a street cleaners? Why should I bother with my domestic refuse collection when I can dump it(a mentality many idiots already share).
    Ah come on now, you're jumping to conclusions. Accepting that some people will never clean up after themselves and there will always be rubbish left over no matter how good everyone else gets at cleaning up after themselves isn't the same as being ok with the rubbish.

The fact remains there will be rubbish after hundreds of people go to a location, we can keep saying people should clean up after themselves but it won't make the beaches any cleaner.

I'm not being facetious at all, I don't think leaving something beside a full bin (provided it can't blow away) is the same as leaving your rubbish strewn on a beach.

And this is why we have articles like the ones in the OP and disgraceful messes in scenic areas after weekends like the one we just had.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm not being facetious at all, I don't think leaving something beside a full bin (provided it can't blow away) is the same as leaving your rubbish strewn on a beach.
    The law disagrees with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Take a look at your road/street on bin day, and count how many houses don't put out a bin. I counted 4 of 20 in my road, and I don't regard any of them as poor or careless. Where do they put the rubbish?

Take a look at your road/street on bin day, and count how many houses don't put out a bin. I counted 4 of 20 in my road, and I don't regard any of them as poor or careless. Where do they put the rubbish?
    I put my bin out every two months or so. I pay per lift too so you won't see my bins out to often.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

The issue here (quite clearly) is not the time of year. Its the weather.

Bank holiday Monday - June Bank Holiday Monday 2017 -= biggest bank holiday of the year.

It lashed rain all day. Was there much rubbish on the beach that day ? No.

How can the council account for a 4x or 5x surge when the weather is good - if they don't know when that surge is going to be.
    its unrealistic.

And besides - pick up your own rubbish folks its the decent thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I put my bin out every two months or so. I pay per lift too so you won't see my bins out to often.

Same.

Ironically, it's the houses with the bins out every other week, that have kids and young teens that just throw stuff at their arses on the green areas of the estate.

Are they all on the same day? 3 collectors on 3 different days here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

In areas with multiple operators, we have at least 3 here, "bin day" is a different day for everyone. Add to that that we pay per lift, we don't put out the bins every week. Many people also take their recyclables in person to the local council recycling depot which is free, plus they take a slightly greater variety of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Tax paying citizens. Things cost money, either we pay the cost of live with l.

I dune no about that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I think this is what some people want to see from our government.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boAWFriUsMo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,923 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I thought LPT was designed amongst other things to pay for our communities upkeep and development. Cleaning the beaches and other areas people congregate in good weather is a must.

Med countries like Spain have beach hoovering every single night, and walkways are also pressure hosed. It is amazing. Now people do not leave much rubbish around either. Presumably their variety of Lpt, council tax or whatever pays for it.

I would NEVER go to a beach or other hot spot on a good weekend, too upsetting seeing the way people do not respect their surroundings. And if you say anything, you'd be afraid of getting a one punch or your teeth knocked out or horrible verbal abuse.

There are a lot of not very nice people in this country. But most of us are OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I thought LPT was designed amongst other things to pay for our communities upkeep and development. Cleaning the beaches and other areas people congregate in good weather is a must.

Med countries like Spain have beach hoovering every single night, and walkways are also pressure hosed. It is amazing. Now people do not leave much rubbish around either. Presumably their variety of Lpt, council tax or whatever pays for it.

I would NEVER go to a beach or other hot spot on a good weekend, too upsetting seeing the way people do not respect their surroundings. And if you say anything, you'd be afraid of getting a one punch or your teeth knocked out or horrible verbal abuse.

There are a lot of not very nice people in this country. But most of us are OK.

I know in spain that any of the shops or bars operating on the beach are essentially leased from the government or some similar arrangement and the profits go back to the upkeep & development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Cities should be walled in and the inmates only allowed to leave on limited day passes when they the prove themselves mature and able.

Have you seen Dublin on All-Ireland final day? Its disgusting.

That's on you boggers, that's on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Glenster wrote: »
    Have you seen Dublin on All-Ireland final day? Its disgusting.

That's on you boggers, that's on you.

I know, when Dublin plays the place is like an operating theatre.

Same as us, green and brown bin every collection, black bin every 6-8 weeks or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

BPKS wrote: »

Here in Switzerland, the lake shores around Zurich and Luzern do be thronged during the summer.

I'd sometimes go for a run on a Sunday morning along the lake and the place does be spotless.

I remember my first visit, seeing a good group of young ones having a load of cans and food and generally having a good time. When they left, they spent a good 15 minutes tidying up after themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

People who keep saying "bring it home" are missing the obvious - the vast majority of young people don't go home after a daytime session like the canal yesterday, they move on to pubs, bars and clubs afterwards - in which one would obviously be refused entry upon turning up with a bunch of empty beer containers.

It is muppetry of the highest order that Dublin City doesn't have adequate public bins to deal with people actually using the public outdoor spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    The issue here (quite clearly) is not the time of year. Its the weather.

Bank holiday Monday - June Bank Holiday Monday 2017 -= biggest bank holiday of the year.

It lashed rain all day. Was there much rubbish on the beach that day ? No.

How can the council account for a 4x or 5x surge when the weather is good - if they don't know when that surge is going to be.
    its unrealistic.

And besides - pick up your own rubbish folks its the decent thing to do.

They should just have a lot more bins all over the city in general to cover all possibilities. There used to be more of them, they've been being removed slowly for years and this is the upshot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I went to the beach yesterday and the day before, and the rubbish wasn't too bad. It was Greystones in Wicklow. It wasn't the main beach so I'd say that was way worse.

I live in Bray and I don't go there when the weather is nice because it's disgraceful. It makes me really mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Every beach should have a skip not a bin the size of something you would find in a kitchen to cater for hundreds of people

I pay commercial rates and would prefer to see my money going on that rather than the usual bullsh1t vanity projects

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭SteM

People who keep saying "bring it home" are missing the obvious - the vast majority of young people don't go home after a daytime session like the canal yesterday, they move on to pubs, bars and clubs afterwards - in which one would obviously be refused entry upon turning up with a bunch of empty beer containers.

It is muppetry of the highest order that Dublin City doesn't have adequate public bins to deal with people actually using the public outdoor spaces.

If they're old enough to buy the beer then they're old enough to be responsible for cleaning up after themselves. Most of those lazy ****s didn't even bother trying to clean up after themselves, you're just giving them an easy way out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,072 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Every beach should have a skip not a bin the size of something you would find in a kitchen to cater for hundreds of people

I pay commercial rates and would prefer to see my money going on that rather than the usual bullsh1t vanity projects

Trouble is, there would be queues of people dumping their weekly trash into it.

Privatising domestic rubbish collection was the worst idea anyone ever had (well, one of them anyway). I know people will say "oh but funding it out of taxation means only taxpayers pay" - but I can't see that it's got anything other than ten times worse. People sneaking their domestic rubbish into council/corpo bins means they just keep reducing the number of public bins to the point where there's nowhere to put rubbish when you're out.

And as long as people have to pay directly for rubbish collection, they'll continue to try and find somewhere to dump it for free - like skips at a beach intended for the beach public.

The law of unintended consequences.

Advertisement