Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why do you want/are you in a relationship?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Its company.

If my dog could talk/ was allowed into events my missus would be out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Been married for years and a few relationships as well but now it's kinda been there, done that, not doing it again. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Glenster wrote: »
    Its company.

If my dog could talk/ was allowed into events my missus would be out the door.

Oh you old romantic you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I'd be the same. I don't think I would have the patience for a proper relationship. She would have to be extremely laid back for it to even have a chance of working. I want the intimacy of a relationship without any of the drama. I reckon I'm just not cut out for everything that is involved in a relationship. It's just a bit suffocating for me.
    Not all women are high maintenance drama queens ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

A regular ride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Don't need to be in a relationship: had an epiphany one night while in bed chatting with the last woman I loved.

Am quite happy to be a bachelor and wouldn't like to change it.....That said, the sunny weather today, and the way women dress when it's sunny, makes me briefly question my choice.

Tell me of this epiphany brutha??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Don't need to be in a relationship: had an epiphany one night while in bed chatting with the last woman I loved.

Am quite happy to be a bachelor and wouldn't like to change it.....That said, the sunny weather today, and the way women dress when it's sunny, makes me briefly question my choice.

curious... do tell...

Can talk about anything and everything, he's my best friend and biggest fan, and vice versa. It's great to have someone who'll step up for you no matter what, and he knows he can rely on me for the same. We have a lot of fun together, find the same things interesting, connect on multiple levels.

Good relationships can't be compared to bad ones, a good relationship makes a good life a genuinely great one, but a bad one can make you miserable beyond words.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I want the intimacy of a relationship without any of the drama.

I don't think I've ever known anyone to have a dramatic relationship, unless one was cheating on the other or something. You must know some crazy people! (or you're a teenager, love a bit of drama do the teenagers!!)

Out of interest what constitutes relationship "drama"?

Out of interest what constitutes relationship "drama"?

I think - and I'm not saying this applies to Mr Vain - sometimes when people talk about drama they really mean expectation. If someone expects a partner to go with them to a family event, and that partner hates family events, then they call it drama because they don't want to do something that's important to their OH.

I've noticed this a few times with people, and the less flexible a person is the more likely they are to label normal give and take 'drama'.

Obviously there's actual drama where mountains are made of molehills, but I think an expectation differential accounts for a lot of what people term it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

To have companionship, share mutual interests and discover new ones with, to enjoy particular and special moments with like personal achievements, holidays like Valentines day, Christmas, New Years, birthdays. To spoil them and be spoiled. To feel content that you're living your life the way it's supposed to be lived and not in that sort of solitude or isolation that comes with being single example (like being the guy at the table on nights out and all of your friends are couples and being very self conscious of it and you go out anyway for the sake of being social)

To be spend time with them and be intimate without interference from the way the modern world is gone that is far too demanding of people's time and energy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

My cup of tea most nights before bed and the ones delivered to me when I wake up on a Saturday/Sunday morning. In turn I get up every morning at 5.30 to make his Coffee and sambos before he heads off to work. I jump back in bed and get a squish before he heads off. He gives me the sour gargamels in every pack of smurf jellys he gets. I take his work boots off when he gets in the door. He'll ring me now in the morning so I won't miss the rugby. Just loads of simple things like that.

Don't get me wrong he can be a pain in the arse, leaves the shower mat on the floor even though he knows the dog will Pee on it if he does, leaves the fecking lights on to name a few but at the end of the day he's my pain in the arse!

Planning on keeping him :)

Burial. wrote: »
    Wouldn't be one for relationships tbh, I quite like the freedom and thrill of being single. I quite like going from person to person as I feel you get to experience the best of them and you remember that and not the inevitable arguing down the line which sours your impression of someone. I absolutely hate drama and have a zero tolerance to it which makes me awful boyfriend material I'd imagine. I'm well able to argue but having to make up and be lovey dovey again is not my style. I guess some people like that stability and security of a partner which makes sense but from a bird's eye view I see far too many couples restricted and confined to the same old thing.
    I think this is the post that most closely reflects my own opinion.

I find myself getting tired of relationships after a few weeks or a couple of months, when the exciting bit of getting to know someone fizzles out, and you both make slightly less effort.

If I ever do get married, which I don't really want to, my ideal situation would be for both of us to agree to a marriage-term of say, ten years, and then review the situation.

I don't believe in lifelong vows, because whilst I am never the perfect boyfriend, I think it's an unrealistic and unfair restriction to put upon anybody. I think marriage-term should be agreed between a couple, at maximum, as the period of time where your kids are in late-adolescence (with an exceptional circumstances 'breakout clause', of course)

It would be more reasonable and fairer on all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,110 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ah that's where you went wrong. Amateur mistake. Less of the chatting and more of the riding and you'd probably still be with her

• Registered Users Posts: 19,110 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

greencap wrote: »
    Tell me of this epiphany brutha??
    seachto7 wrote: »
    curious... do tell...

A quick google search will tell you:

epiphany: noun. The return of common sense to the working of a mans brain. Usually occurs at the instant of ejaculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

I'm getting to a point where I'm actually totally happy and comfortable being single forever

I'm of the opinion that when you reach this point, that's when you'll end up in the relationship that you actually want to be in. Like attracts like.

As for me I've been in a few relationships that were destined to fail, mostly because I was insecure at the time and attracted insecure women. All turned codependent or toxic in one way or another. One of them very nearly stuck and I'm so glad it didn't, as I'm sure she is also.

Long term I do want a relationship for all the reasons talked about in this thread, just not right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

It's really nice to have someone waiting for you at Arrivals in the airport.

I was single for years and years and that was always the thing that got to me. Not in any sort of melodramatic way, but it was where I felt most single. Most on my own. Seeing couples fall into each other's arms around me as I walked through and out the door to find a bus/train to take me to my next stop.

I've been in Brussels, Vienna and next stop Stuttgart all this week, but what I'm most looking forward to next is walking into arrivals in Heathrow on Monday night and seeing his lovely familiar face smiling at me in that secret way that he smiles at me and his big brown eyes sparkling and thinking "there he is" and getting a big bear hug and knowing that I'm home and can finally relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭gifted

I'm sitting in a car outside a hair dressers waiting for herself......on a Saturday morning....just saying like.....

All ye single blokes get what I'm saying to ye.........hold onto your single life as long as you can lol.lol.........coming Dear.....lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Having someone both beautiful and intelligent behind you in almost everything you do in life, saying "you're right, you can do no wrong" is very self affirming.

Unless you're actually wrong, in which case having someone both beautiful and intelligent to gently say "you got that wrong" is very helpful.

They promote and support our best tendencies and when we get it right, and gently haul us back when we get it wrong. What could be better?

Let me guess ... new relationship?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Candie wrote: »
    I think - and I'm not saying this applies to Mr Vain - sometimes when people talk about drama they really mean expectation. If someone expects a partner to go with them to a family event, and that partner hates family events, then they call it drama because they don't want to do something that's important to their OH.

I've noticed this a few times with people, and the less flexible a person is the more likely they are to label normal give and take 'drama'.

Obviously there's actual drama where mountains are made of molehills, but I think an expectation differential accounts for a lot of what people term it.

You mean if one partner lets the other have their way 100% of the time. Those are dramaless relationships. Any other type involves arguments and "drama".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

professore wrote: »
    Let me guess ... new relationship?

Conor has been with his wife for over 20 years as far as I remember :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Just like last year, my wife and kids went off to Japan for about 7 weeks over the summer.

Just like last year, I was looking forward to a bit of peace and quiet and free time for myself.

Just like last year, after 4 days, I'm bored out of my mind.

You mean if one partner lets the other have their way 100% of the time. Those are dramaless relationships. Any other type involves arguments and "drama".

No, that's not what I mean. I think you'd read that into most observations, since you're determined to see relationships as restrictive emotional and physical strait-jackets designed to benefit only one party.

I gain a huge amount of positive benefit from my relationship, and he's the first to say exactly the same. It's a two way street, and that involves compromise. Sometimes I don't put my personal happiness first, and sometimes he doesn't. It evens out, as it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My relationship is about sharing life with my best friend. I can't think of anyone else I'd rather go spend it with. Its about having someone I can be there for and who is there for me. Its having someone who gets me and lets me be myself. Its about having someone to share the pressure and responsibility and the fun times and laughs with. Its about having someone around who just makes life better because he's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

gifted wrote: »
    I'm sitting in a car outside a hair dressers waiting for herself......on a Saturday morning....just saying like.....

All ye single blokes get what I'm saying to ye.........hold onto your single life as long as you can lol.lol.........coming Dear.....lol

Good post. Unless your OH is an old dragon it could be worse.
    You could be sitting in your car on a Saturday morning waiting for.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

I think you get a bit used to and also protective of your single status when you've been that way for a while. I know I certainly did. My experience of relationships had been both lacking in any significant way but also negative with the flings and short-term things I'd had, so that coloured my opinion of them in a general sense.

It's been quite humbling to have met himself, who drives me daft as much as any other emotion he provokes in me, but who made me realise it's not all about me, sometimes it's necessary to put someone else's feelings before my own and I can't always do as I please and fcuk the rest of it. I'd probably done that for most of my life before him.

The pay-off is having someone you love and have decided to commit to, love you and commit themselves to you right back in equal measure. Simple as that really. Sometimes it's hard and uncomfortable and you want to walk away because you're not used to be challenged to share your life in that way and to do things you don't want to do because 'why should I' blah blah blah. But you grow a hell of a lot emotionally and learn about the art of compromise in those little moments for a bigger long-term gain. That's what relationships are when it comes down to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I'm just not interested in relationships at all. I don't want to share my life with anyone. It just doesn't interest me. I don't see anything about a relationship as being desirable other than the economic benefits and that certainly would not outweigh what I would consider the negatives, so no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I'm just not interested in relationships at all. I don't want to share my life with anyone. It just doesn't interest me. I don't see anything about a relationship as being desirable other than the economic benefits and that certainly would not outweigh what I would consider the negatives, so no.

Am v interested in why people remain single for v long spells. Would you have been in any relationships in the past?
    Some good things about being single for sure but for me having a bit of affection easily trumps that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Bambi985 wrote: »
    It's really nice to have someone waiting for you at Arrivals in the airport.

I was single for years and years and that was always the thing that got to me. Not in any sort of melodramatic way, but it was where I felt most single. Most on my own. Seeing couples fall into each other's arms around me as I walked through and out the door to find a bus/train to take me to my next stop.

I've been in Brussels, Vienna and next stop Stuttgart all this week, but what I'm most looking forward to next is walking into arrivals in Heathrow on Monday night and seeing his lovely familiar face smiling at me in that secret way that he smiles at me and his big brown eyes sparkling and thinking "there he is" and getting a big bear hug and knowing that I'm home and can finally relax.

I swear the more I read this thread, the more I realise I'm practically in a relationship with my aforementioned best friend. :o I was leaving her to the airport today for her holidays and she told me she's already looking forward to coming home in two weeks just because she knows I'll be waiting there at Arrivals for her with a massive hug! It's nice to be someone's favourite person. :o

Advertisement