Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New stationless bike rental scheme in Dublin - BleeperBike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

is there a website that lists bikeshare cities by lock type

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The one in Shankhill never moves, it just sits there week after week in all weather. The tyres must be deflated by now at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thargor wrote: »
    The one in Shankhill never moves, it just sits there week after week in all weather. The tyres must be deflated by now at least.

Roll flat tyres. Impossible to pedal, zero maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

They seem to be doing pretty well in Sligo at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭C3PO

Thargor wrote:
    The one in Shankhill never moves, it just sits there week after week in all weather.

I noticed that - the local "toerags" aren't even bothered to steal it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

There are at least two in Shankhill whenever I pass. The other day was the first time I seen the bike stands full as well. Maybe they are gettign use but I am doubtful. I was more impressed by the MTB kid who went through the village from one end to the other on his rear wheel, which distracted from the Bleeper bikes.

http://www.dublincity.ie/bleeperbike-and-urbo-granted-licences-operate-stationless-bike-hire-scheme-dublin-city DCC announces bleeper bikes and urbo doing the trial
    Users can sign up to either operator with full interoperability between the two schemes. Bikes are sourced via an App which unlocks the bike. Once locked to a Sheffield stand at destination the hire period ceases.
    the urbo bikes http://urbosolutions.com/how-it-works/ are the ones with the locks around the wheel how do you lock that to a sheffield stand? is the geofencing that precise?

someone says that urbo have added a cable lock to their bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

http://www.dublincity.ie/bleeperbike-and-urbo-granted-licences-operate-stationless-bike-hire-scheme-dublin-city DCC announces bleeper bikes and urbo doing the trial the urbo bikes http://urbosolutions.com/how-it-works/ are the ones with the locks around the wheel how do you lock that to a sheffield stand?

Looks like the trial with Turbo will fail then.

However, if you use them you could take your own lock to lock it to a Sheffield stand. It would guarantee that there was a bike available afterwards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Two of these have been locked at Dundrum Town centre for weeks now. Its really annoying as there are so few bike parking spaces there anyway and it's always difficult to get a space.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

CramCycle wrote: »
    There are at least two in Shankhill whenever I pass. The other day was the first time I seen the bike stands full as well. Maybe they are gettign use but I am doubtful. I was more impressed by the MTB kid who went through the village from one end to the other on his rear wheel, which distracted from the Bleeper bikes.

Belfast??

or do you mean Shankill? ;)

• Advertisement

http://www.dublincity.ie/bleeperbike-and-urbo-granted-licences-operate-stationless-bike-hire-scheme-dublin-city DCC announces bleeper bikes and urbo doing the trial the urbo bikes http://urbosolutions.com/how-it-works/ are the ones with the locks around the wheel how do you lock that to a sheffield stand? is the geofencing that precise?

I'm already turned off it.
    searched their website for information on cost and not a blip

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Seve OB wrote: »
    Belfast??

Only last week I was cycling through Shankill and looking at the sign I realised it was not shankhill. I know wonder do alot of people think it is Shankhill or if it is just the fast speaking of many Irish people make it sound that way and in fact I am just an unobservant idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭C3PO

Only last week I was cycling through Shankill and looking at the sign I realised it was not shankhill. I know wonder do alot of people think it is Shankhill or if it is just the fast speaking of many Irish people make it sound that way and in fact I am just an unobservant idiot.

A few years back Paddy Power opened a shop on the main street with a huge sign in the window spelling "Shankhill" ... red faces all round and was replaced shortly afterwards!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think that depending on which way you approached enniskerry a few years back, there were three possible spellings of the name as gaeilge on the road signs.

I grew up there so it has always been a bug bear of mine when it is spelt or pronounced wrong.

it actually comes from the gaeilge

Sean Chill - meaning old church

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Seve OB wrote: »
    Belfast??

Whoops, only been cycling through it every day for 7 years :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

I cycled one of these today. Worst ride of my life..
    They are so slow, not a patch on a db

Trasna1 wrote: »
    I cycled one of these today. Worst ride of my life..
    They are so slow, not a patch on a db

Cost of being designed to never be maintained. 10x the rolling resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

http://www.dublincity.ie/bleeperbike-and-urbo-granted-licences-operate-stationless-bike-hire-scheme-dublin-city DCC announces bleeper bikes and urbo doing the trial
    Users can sign up to either operator with full interoperability between the two schemes. Bikes are sourced via an App which unlocks the bike. Once locked to a Sheffield stand at destination the hire period ceases.
    the urbo bikes http://urbosolutions.com/how-it-works/ are the ones with the locks around the wheel how do you lock that to a sheffield stand? is the geofencing that precise?

someone says that urbo have added a cable lock to their bikes
    On their website in One British city they’ve added a cable lock to ensure it’s locked to a stand and not freestanding blocking a path
    I imagine they’ll use that here

http://urbosolutions.com/urbo-launch-new-hybrid-locking-solution-ipswich/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

C3PO wrote: »

A few years back Paddy Power opened a shop on the main street with a huge sign in the window spelling "Shankhill" ... red faces all round and was replaced shortly afterwards!
    They did it on purpose, paddy power are like Ryanair when it comes to getting free publicity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

ED E wrote: »
    Cost of being designed to never be maintained. 10x the rolling resistance.

Can't see how this is going to survive as a business. Hardly any bikes around and if you can find one it's an absolute pig of a thing to ride.

It's a pity DCC didn't set minimum standards for say weight and rolling resistance for public bike sharing schemes.

Bleeper wont survive. The product is not good enough unfortunately. It's a shame because given it's larger geographical spread compared to db, I would have been a regular user if the bikes weren't ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

A HUGE issue with the bleeper bikes in Sligo is that the maximum height of the saddle is far to short. The highest saddle height would comfortable fit someone that is 5'8. I find the bleeper bikes in Sligo much more convenient and bettter than the bike scheme hire in Limerick. However at 6' I've had to stop using them as even short journey were painful and making me prone to injury.

If they keep to the same design spec as the Sligo Bleeper Bikes they will be useless for anyone over 5'8.

Bleeper is a carbon copy of an Asian platform, they just badged them and shoved em on the streets. Sized for standard range of Chinese heights.

Not holding my breath for Urbo to buck that trend.

Be ready then for some very uncomfortable bike rides so. As I said that current size makes them unrideable for anyone over 5'8. I was getting a really bad hamstring strain last week from using them in Sligo so as useful as they are, and I was using them 6 times a day, I had to stop using them last week.

Such a shame that they won't be used for something that could be easily fixed at the start.

panda100 wrote: »
    Be ready then for some very uncomfortable bike rides so. As I said that current size makes them unrideable for anyone over 5'8. I was getting a really bad hamstring strain last week from using them in Sligo so as useful as they are, and I was using them 6 times a day, I had to stop using them last week.

Such a shame that they won't be used for something that could be easily fixed at the start.
    how do they compare height wise to the docked bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Why does Bleeper think people will pay €75 a year, when DB is well established and popular at €25 a year?

I only use the Limerick bike scheme so can only compare to that I'm afraid. (I can't use the Dublin bike scheme when I'm visiting as I only have a visa debit card) However, the saddle adjusts to all sizes on the Limerick bike scheme. I'm 6' and the saddle easily could accommodate someone much taller also.

The whole reason I found the bleeper bikes so handy in Sligo is that you can do longer journeys on them but I've all but stopped using them now as cycling a bike made for a person who is 5'8 when you are 6' is not pleasant or fun. It will be a serious impediment to usage if they don't adjust for saddle size

Why does Bleeper think people will pay €75 a year, when DB is well established and popular at €25 a year?

I joined up to the bleeper bikes in Sligo for 3 months and it was €20. Very cheap for what you get imo. You can bring the bikes anywhere and have them out for extended periods without getting changed extra for them. I cycled out to strandhill a few weeks ago and had the bike out for about 5 hours and it didn't cost me anything extra. The bike scheme in Limerick would have cost me €8.50 on top of the annual subscription to hire a bike for that long.

Also you don't have to dock at a station so there much easier to park up when you get back into town. So I suspect the higher price reflects the fact that you get much more usage from a bike than you would with the bike scheme.

Unfortunately the bleeper bikes in Sligo anyway are of very poor quality compared to the city bike schemes. They are uncomfortable to ride and only 3 gears that are pretty useless for uphill or downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Seanmk1

I joined up to the bleeper bikes in Sligo for 3 months and it was €20. Very cheap for what you get imo. You can bring the bikes anywhere and have them out for extended periods without getting changed extra for them. I cycled out to strandhill a few weeks ago and had the bike out for about 5 hours and it didn't cost me anything extra. The bike scheme in Limerick would have cost me €8.50 on top of the annual subscription to hire a bike for that long.

Also you don't have to dock at a station so there much easier to park up when you get back into town. So I suspect the higher price reflects the fact that you get much more usage from a bike than you would with the bike scheme.

Unfortunately the bleeper bikes in Sligo anyway are of very poor quality compared to the city bike schemes. They are uncomfortable to ride and only 3 gears that are pretty useless for uphill or downhill.

I rented one of these on Saturday. They're a pretty tough cycle. I couldn't keep up with my kid while he was running *downhill*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

l.

i had thought there would be a bit of room for abuse.
    locking in hard to find places (e.g. a back garden) or using an extra lock to properly secure a bike and make sure its there when they get back.

but i would have thought penalties would be better than high fees. high fees are more likely to encourage that type of behavior IMO.

i would say also, that this scheme must need a ton of bikes to work. a few hundred bikes will just end up dotted around the city

Advertisement