Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New stationless bike rental scheme in Dublin - BleeperBike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Gave these are try at the weekend. I felt like I was cycling a wrought iron gate with potatoes for wheels.
    Dublin bikes feel like carbon fibre TT bikes in comparison.

Gave this a shot. Have to agree here. Found signup easy and the app and rental process straight forward but my god the hardware is shocking - a simple jaunt is a bit of an endurance test when compared with DB.

Don't understand investing in everything and having the end product being so bad. Fine for getting across a college campus but after that no good.

80cent an hour to take a bike for a walk

• Registered Users Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they're in the process of replacing the tyres to make them easier to ride - the ones with the new tyres have an orange sticker on the rear mudguard.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TheJak01

I tried these the other week. They're not as good as DB, but they were convenient to get across town quicker than on foot. Will I be using them to cycle the 6km home from town? Probably not. Will I use them to turn a 30 minute walk into a 5-10 minute cycle? Absolutely.

I don't always need to fly on a bike. The process was quick and painless, there were thousands of places to lock them and they saved me a bit of time. The added convenience over Dublin bikes of not needing to move from dock to dock, and being able to use it outside the canals still makes this one a winner for me. Bikes could be better, but in all honesty I didn't find them that terrible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

loyatemu wrote: »
    they're in the process of replacing the tyres to make them easier to ride - the ones with the new tyres have an orange sticker on the rear mudguard.

Thats actually nice, I heard they were replacing them (and supposedly the rolling resistance has vastly decreased) but I was wondering was it going to be pot luck if you got one, I like this idea of marking them.

My one had an orange mudguard sticker saying always park bleeper legally. It's not that one is it?

• Advertisement

My one had an orange mudguard sticker saying always park bleeper legally. It's not that one is it?

this is all I know...

HzjaHGG.png

this is all I know..

Thanks very much for that. May have cause to use one this evening if I can find the magic dot ill report back on how I find it

Thanks very much for that. May have cause to use one this evening if I can find the magic dot ill report back on how I find it

Five bikes no orange spots. Gave one a bash in case I got a complete dud earlier. Horrible ride. I can take a DB from Connolly to Phoenix Park without breaking a sweat or it feeling like effort. After 25 minutes on a bleeper I am literally soaked with sweat and wrecked.

Good that they are upgrading. I'm near a large college and business park. I imagine the word has spread given that I rarely see the bikes move so be interesting if they can renew faith.

Looking at their Twitter they make light of it by saying stuff like "enjoy the extra workout". I think people want an inexpensive, fast and accessible transport option - not a cardiac.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

People are lazy, look at how the e-scooters are spreading in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

A Dublin bikes version of Bleeper with the same pricing would be amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Thargor wrote: »
    An expansion of Dublin Bikes beyond the canals would be amazing.

Thargor wrote: »

Not possible really.

Bleeper model: Cheap bikes, no maintenance or moving vans. Low cost.
    DB/BorisBike model: Expensive infra, regular servicing and load balancing, high cost offset by the municipality (Money and giving away advertising in this case).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

ED E wrote: »
    Not possible really.

Bleeper model: Cheap bikes, no maintenance or moving vans. Low cost.

I saw a guy on an electric bike servicing the Bleeper bikes at a dart station only a few weeks ago.

I saw a guy on an electric bike servicing the Bleeper bikes at a dart station only a few weeks ago.

Takes a lot of 80cents to pay for that.

Like innovation in any sector there will be those that it get it wrong and those that thrive.

For me it should be the perfect solution as I've easy access to alot of bikes and parking stations in all the main areas I travel to regularly. The bikes are unusable in their current form.

I'll use up the last of my months membership by using them as exercise bikes and after that uninstall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Takes a lot of 80cents to pay for that.

Like innovation in any sector there will be those that it get it wrong and those that thrive.

For me it should be the perfect solution as I've easy access to alot of bikes and parking stations in all the main areas I travel to regularly. The bikes are unusable in their current form.

I'll use up the last of my months membership by using them as exercise bikes and after that uninstall.

It would still be a lot cheaper than having a car/van and getting stuck in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 politicoo

sugarman wrote: »

How would they expect the service ever to pick off like this? ...and its actually a great idea and a very reasonable price. I was going to give it a go only for they were removed a few days later.

In fairness, name of the website/app is on the bike. and first day is free so you can demo it and see what you think.

this is all I know...

HzjaHGG.png

Fair play. You listened to feedback. I tried one of the bikes with the orange dot. It's better but still not where it needs to be.

It's so easy to be critical, and everyone's at, and let's face it it's 20 Euro a quarter so I shouldn't really complain but I would pay more for it if the bikes were better. Cycling those bikes is like permanently cycling uphill.

But hats off to you for providing a service, making a go of it, and being good value.

How on earth are they going to manage that without infrastructure? If they can do it I will buy it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Lads, I cycled a Raleigh Grifter for 10 years so I reckon I'm strong enough for these?!

• Advertisement

Lads, I cycled a Raleigh Grifter for 10 years so I reckon I'm strong enough for these?!

They might still have you "bleeping"

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Very interested to see what the proposal for this will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

politicoo wrote: »

How on earth are they going to manage that without infrastructure? If they can do it I will buy it...
    Fairly easy,
    €1 for a normal bike
    €2 for an EV bike
    And -50c if you take a bike while using a dynamo to charge the bike for the next guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭f1000

I'm not going back to read over 28 pages and am not sure if this annoyance/issue has been aired here before... They are taking up parking spots. Had to go around a block earlier looking for a secure-ish space to lock my bike

ted1 wrote: »
    Fairly easy,
    €1 for a normal bike
    €2 for an EV bike
    And -50c if you take a bike while using a dynamo to charge the bike for the next guy.

You'd need to do what the scooters do in the US, pay teens to go out and collect the bikes, charge em, then return em.

Need to charge €5/trip to make the numbers work, not 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

f1000 wrote: »
    I'm not going back to read over 28 pages and am not sure if this annoyance/issue has been aired here before... They are taking up parking spots. Had to go around a block earlier looking for a secure-ish space to lock my bike
    it was the main issue i raised with them, has been discussed way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

f1000 wrote: »
    In fairness, the obvious issue there is the lack of bicycle parking. More bicycles on the road is a good thing for the city and cyclists.

ED E wrote: »
    You'd need to do what the scooters do in the US, pay teens to go out and collect the bikes, charge em, then return em.

Need to charge €5/trip to make the numbers work, not 2.

This is the struggle with low margin high volume. They need to gain critical mass to make either fee viable. They have 5000 android downloads so at best maybe 12-15k across all platforms. That's not a bad start (DB have just over 40k registered users) although DB are paid subscribers we've no idea if bleeper ones are using/paying.

I wish them well and hope they get there I think the concept is great (apart from the bikes being brutal)

Electric would be brilliant. I'd be happy to pay the premium but they need a big PR effort behind it with colleges, employers, business parks etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I guess they’ll copy jump bikes

https://jumpbikes.com/about/

Uber paid $200m for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

ted1 wrote: »
    I guess they’ll copy jump bikes

https://jumpbikes.com/about/

Uber paid $200m for them.

I still don't get how they charge them?

Advertisement