Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos RIP thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Hoping for a bit of advice here - having some serious issues with Argos at the moment so any help much appreciated.

I ordered one of the 55' LG TV's from the Argos Ebay store a few weeks ago, had it delivered last Friday and opened to find it has a massive crack in the screen (the joys of Fastway I presume).

I sent them a message straight away and was told a collection would be organised for the Monday which I agreed to. After spending the whole day waiting for it to be collected I sent them another message to which I got a reply saying collections are now suspended and I will have to wait until this changes. No mention of a refund or any way of solving the issue. I have since followed up and gotten the same stock response and spent 2 hours on hold on the phone to them where I got through to two people who didn't seem to have a clue and said it was a different department that dealt with that.

I am now stuck with a broken TV taking up a load of space in a small apartment with no idea when it will be collected or refunded and getting zero help from Argos. Would anyone have any recommendations on how I could get this solved? It's not ideal to be stuck without a TV in lockdown and don't exactly have the spare cash to buy another!

If you can wait until they can collect it then this would be ideal under the current circumstances but if not then you have the option of an eBay dispute which may speed things along, they will either respond of eBay will step in and issue a refund.
    Don’t waste your time on the phone you will only drive yourself mad.

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭mossy464

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

Just found this bargain today as I'm looking for a TV but much to my disappointment it's not buyable now even on their eBay store

• Registered Users Posts: 6 frustrated2020

just a heads up but i would advise to not buy from argos_ireland on ebay.

None of their support staff know how to handle an order from ebay and cant arrange delivery.
    I spent 3 hours on hold on Friday, spoke to 3 people - none of whom knew how to arrange delivery for an ebay order as you don't get an Argos order id when you order from their ebay store. You get an ebay order id and an argos 5 digit sales record number. Messaging them on ebay results in radio silence.

This is the dispatch email you get:
    Please ignore
    this automated eBay email text stating ‘Your item is marked as
    dispatched &
    tracking information is available’. We’ll actually call you and
    arrange an agreed date to deliver.
    For queries on ARGOS LORRY DELIVERIES please call 1800 535 091
    (landline) or 015245387 (mobile) and have your sales record number
    to hand.

Today(2 days after calling number), I used their UK chat (the Irish number just seems to go to same UK call center) where I spent 30 mins explaining that Argos run the argos_ireland store on ebay only to be told to contact ebay(the company) to arrange delivery!
    It would be eBay that you would need to contact regarding this order. We're not able to access eBay's systems to help you book in the delivery I'm afraid
    The number you need to contact is 0345 355 3229. They will be able to assist you with this

That phone number is the phone number for eBay.

Frustrating experience and still haven't got delivery arranged.
    I get that their support staff are probably busy but Jesus like. Giving customers reponses like this:
    I am sorry, we're not able to help you further with this. You'd need to contact eBay and see if they're able to help you on their end.
    I've done my job for 6 years. I know what I'm doing ... I am going to terminate this chat as I have given you the correct information and we are not able to help you further. Enjoy the rest of your day and stay safe

That last response was after I requested to talk to supervisor or whoever in HQ who managed the ebay store. Yer man was convinced that because I bought on ebay that they were the ones who dealt with everything. This is after I told him that Argos emailed me about the item I bought from Argos and to ring the Argos number to arrange delivery.

How can a company be so flippin disorganised that their own staff don't know how one of their main online sales channels works.

2020 and argos can't set up an online page to arrange delivery so I don't have to go through the excruciating pain of convincing people that their company is in fact the company I need to talk to about delivering an item i bought from them. This is Ryanair level of gob****ery.

Buyer beware indeed.

just a heads up but i would advise to not buy from argos_ireland on ebay.

None of their support staff know how to handle an order from ebay and cant arrange delivery.
    I spent 3 hours on hold on Friday, spoke to 3 people - none of whom knew how to arrange delivery for an ebay order as you don't get an Argos order id when you order from their ebay store. You get an ebay order id and an argos 5 digit sales record number. Messaging them on ebay results in radio silence.

This is the dispatch email you get:

Today(2 days after calling number), I used their UK chat (the Irish number just seems to go to same UK call center) where I spent 30 mins explaining that Argos run the argos_ireland store on ebay only to be told to contact ebay(the company) to arrange delivery!

That phone number is the phone number for eBay.

Frustrating experience and still haven't got delivery arranged.
    I get that their support staff are probably busy but Jesus like. Giving customers reponses like this:

That last response was after I requested to talk to supervisor or whoever in HQ who managed the ebay store. Yer man was convinced that because I bought on ebay that they were the ones who dealt with everything. This is after I told him that Argos emailed me about the item I bought from Argos and to ring the Argos number to arrange delivery.

How can a company be so flippin disorganised that their own staff don't know how one of their main online sales channels works.

2020 and argos can't set up an online page to arrange delivery so I don't have to go through the excruciating pain of convincing people that their company is in fact the company I need to talk to about delivering an item i bought from them. This is Ryanair level of gob****ery.

Buyer beware indeed.

I think I’m following the gist of this
    Would it not be better to message the Argos ireland eBay page which Is run by someone dedicated to the eBay side of things and has access to the information on your eBay order Or wait for delivery information ? Some deliveries are taking a month at the moment because of the level of staff in these operations.
    The eBay store is totally different from Argos U.K.

If you can’t wait for the delivery then contact eBay and open a dispute saying you want to cancel your order/purchase and you will be refunded

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I think I’m following the gist of this
    Would it not be better to message the Argos ireland eBay page which Is run by someone dedicated to the eBay side of things and has access to the information on your eBay order Or wait for delivery information ? Some deliveries are taking a month at the moment because of the level of staff in these operations.

If you can’t wait for the delivery then contact eBay and open a dispute saying you want to cancel your order/purchase and you will be refunded

I did and got ghosted.

Prior to chat, I also emailed info @ argos.ie and got this
    Thanks for contacting Argos, we’re unable to respond to customer e-mails at this time. We are part of Sainsbury’s and we are focusing our efforts on working to feed the nation and prioritising our vulnerable customers.

and that was after emailing order.enquiries @ argos.co.uk which is listed contact on argos ie site and getting back
    Hi,
    Thanks for dropping us an email, we don’t monitor this inbox so you won’t get a reply to your query via email.

Argos online for Irish customers is just a ****show

• Advertisement

I'm pretty certain argos uk run both ebay stores. there is no physical irish hq for argos- just stores

FFS. just got a msg from them on ebay saying Fastway actually are handling delivery and it's been dispatched on friday. fantastic communication. 6 hours of needless frustration.

I did and got ghosted.

Prior to chat, I also emailed info @ argos.ie and got this

and that was after emailing order.enquiries @ argos.co.uk which is listed contact on argos ie site and getting back

Argos online for Irish customers is just a ****show

Your point of contact is Argos on eBay or direct with eBay not Argos Ireland or Argos U.K. - if Argos eBay have no customer service staff available to respond to you then open a dispute and escalate the dispute as soon as possible and you will get a solution.
    Argos eBay is probably running automatically, where the order is placed and message sent to the warehouse and when sent delivery info follows.

FFS. just got a msg from them on ebay saying Fastway actually are handling delivery and it's been dispatched on friday. fantastic communication. 6 hours of needless frustration.

You were chasing the wrong people really but glad you got sorted, patience is key at the moment

I'm pretty certain argos uk run both ebay stores. there is no physical irish hq for argos- just stores

It is run by a separate office but all owned by Sainsbury’s

• Advertisement

Huh? If it's run by a separate company, why are they directing people to contact Argos Limited (the company that owns & runs Argos UK & Argos Ireland)?

Are you sure it's not just a separate department in the UK company?

Huh? If it's run by a separate company, why are they directing people to contact Argos Limited (the company that owns & runs Argos UK & Argos Ireland)?

Are you sure it's not just a separate department in the UK company?

It is not a separate company, it is just a separate department as you say. Not sure what that guy is trying to get across.

It is not a separate company, it is just a separate department as you say. Not sure what that guy is trying to get across.

i thought so

I'm pretty sure of this as their about page on ebay (www(dot)ebaystores(dot)co(dot)uk/Argos/About-us)
    Argos Outlet is a trading name, and an official operation for Argos Ltd.

The Argos Outlet operation is fully owned and managed by Argos, but as the shopping experience and product availability is very different from our parent stores, we trade under the Argos Outlet brand in order to minimise confusion.

the irish ebay states much the same, from www(dot)ebaystores(dot)ie/argosireland/Help
    The Argos website is operated by:

Argos Limited
    Avebury
    489-499 Avebury Boulevard
    Milton Keynes
    Buckinghamshire
    MK9 2NW

Registered in England with Company Number 1081551VAT

dunno where you got your info from but both sites are contradicting you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

All OmegaGene was stating is Argos is a subsidiary of Sainsburys, which it is.

i thought so

I'm pretty sure of this as their about page on ebay (www(dot)ebaystores(dot)co(dot)uk/Argos/About-us)

the irish ebay states much the same, from www(dot)ebaystores(dot)ie/argosireland/Help

dunno where you got your info from but both sites are contradicting you

I said the eBay side is run by a separate office ie a different department, I didn’t say it was a different company, it is all owned by Sainsbury’s

I have personal experience with online shops that trade on eBay and I know how they operate, you seem to have picked me up all wrong and have gone on the attack, I was merely trying to help.
    Time for a walk I think

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    All OmegaGene was stating is Argos is a subsidiary of Sainsburys, which it is.

If that's true then it's even more bizarre as it's completely irrelevant. :pac:

But obviously when saying "It is run by a separate office but all owned by Sainsbury’s" suggests that they thought Argos Ebay and Argos are separate entities owned by Sainsbury's but that one isn't run by the other, which isn't true.

Doesn't matter anyway, frustrated2020 got it sorted. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

FFS. just got a msg from them on ebay saying Fastway actually are handling delivery and it's been dispatched on friday.

Doesn't matter anyway, frustrated2020 got it sorted. :)

Yeah, best of luck with that.

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Yeah, best of luck with that.

He got it sorted in the sense that he'll be asking for a refund if and when it arrives broken in someone's garden two kilometres away. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Any word on when Argos will open back up? It seems like they would better be able to setup social distancing than most.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Any word on when Argos will open back up? It seems like they would better be able to setup social distancing than most.

In the UK they were expressly informed they were not considered to be a 'supplier of critical goods and have redeployed their staff into Sainsburys branches (primarily to stock shelves). Ireland got caught up in this- however, they're also not considered to be a 'supplier of critical goods'.

4 branches are to reopen on the 18th of May on a trial basis (same way 3 Easons branches are to reopen on the same date). Providing it goes well- more branches will then reopen on the 1st June.

• Advertisement

In the UK they were expressly informed they were not considered to be a 'supplier of critical goods and have redeployed their staff into Sainsburys branches (primarily to stock shelves). Ireland got caught up in this- however, they're also not considered to be a 'supplier of critical goods'.

4 branches are to reopen on the 18th of May on a trial basis (same way 3 Easons branches are to reopen on the same date). Providing it goes well- more branches will then reopen on the 1st June.

Thanks! Here is hoping Athlone is one of them!

Thanks! Here is hoping Athlone is one of them!

Don't know which for the Argos- the 3 Easons on the 18th May are Belfast (Donegal Square), Dublin (Dundrum town centre) and Cork (St. Patrick's Street).

Not sure which of the Argos are on the open list- and not sure how Easons decided which branches to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

Someone I know works for Argos and the plan is to open all stores bar those with access issues on 18th may , she doesn't know what capacity or how yet but she is ready to go back to work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Hi
    Do Argos release discount codes or is there a tip for getting a discount please.
    I'm looking at buying some garden furniture and would like to get it at its best price!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Hey lads, can anyone recommend any good site to check the Irish argos sites for price drops and stock checker? The old ones I used years ago are dead.

ellejay wrote: »
    Hi
    Do Argos release discount codes or is there a tip for getting a discount please.
    I'm looking at buying some garden furniture and would like to get it at its best price!

Argos periodically do 'Sales' on certain items or categories of items- or issue a discount card valued to a certain amount per spend. For example- in the autumn its common for all garden furniture to be discounted 50%. Or periodically- they will have get a 5-off-50 / 10-off-100 voucher with a qualifying spend- which normally will have to be spent on a subsequent purchase the following month (its a good way of encouraging repeat business).

Argos do not use 'discount codes' (in a similar manner to other companies).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Hey lads, can anyone recommend any good site to check the Irish argos sites for price drops and stock checker? The old ones I used years ago are dead.
    Not sure about checking for price drops and stock.

Checkargos was made by witnessmenow here and I think Argos made a few changes and it was just a pain to maintain etc..
    https://pricescanner.ie/argos/ shows some price drops

Suckit wrote: »
    Not sure about checking for price drops and stock.

Checkargos was made by witnessmenow here and I think Argos made a few changes and it was just a pain to maintain etc..
    https://pricescanner.ie/argos/ shows some price drops

While I would like to get it back working again, I definitely won't be working on Checkargos again for a while, I'm absolutely swamped with stuff at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

While I would like to get it back working again, I definitely won't be working on Checkargos again for a while, I'm absolutely swamped with stuff at the moment.

Don't be giving us your excuses, the crowd demands action. :D

Twas good while it lasted, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Surely you can delegate to one of your minions to keep it going :D

Advertisement