Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Multiple shooting' at congressional baseball game practice field

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,278 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Exactly and the SC has decided to say it is an individual right not a community right.

tradtionally the militia provided their own arms. If you deny the people the right to arms then a militia is not possible. well that is the logic anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

The "punch a Nazi" crowd must be loving this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

c_man wrote: »
    The "punch a Nazi" crowd must be loving this.

Because there is no distinction between punching a man who advocates racial cleansing and attempting to murder elected representatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Because there is no distinction between punching a man who advocates racial cleansing and attempting to murder elected representatives.

They're advocating violence against those they describe as nazis. The description of such rests entirely with the aggressor.

Plenty of the videos I've seen on the topic, the victims are just Trump supporters/republicans. And of course we could spend the day linking stories off one punch kills. So yeah, I imagine there's a lot of satisfied "resisters" out there, and judging from other online sources the only regret seems to be that yer man was a pi$$ poor shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

here is a Huff Post writer's view, he seems all cut up :rolleyes:

DCW6WYDUQAA4nAT.jpg

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,979 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Just going to say that 53 deaths in a 16 year period is an irrelevant number. Sure 13 people were killed in the fort hood shooting in 2009 alone.

Though your other points, I must admit, make sense.

Well, there was the Oklahoma City Bombing which killed 169, in '95.

I don't have the numbers for 'liberal' mass shootings/terrorist events but I imagine the numbers aren't much different from the trend.
    RobertKK wrote: »
    The fact is his hate of Trump and the Republicans is what led to this attack. He is a supporter of the Democrats who became radicalised by his irrational hate.
    All these people who do these things are radicalised by some form of hate that makes them do these crazy attacks.
    It is the same for the person who shot the Democrat congresswoman Giffords.
    It is a radical action to go and shoot people whoever they are.
    I simply pointed out the background to this particular attacker. He was radicalised by an irrational hatred towards the Republicans.

People are radicalized all the time, from all walks of life. Progressives, conservatives, christians, muslims, you name it there's a psycho and a case file to review.
    silverharp wrote: »
    here is a Huff Post writer's view, he seems all cut up
    But he is not wrong, and from the context evidently is engaged in the discussion on how this event relates back to the purpose of the 2nd Amendment, something an old tweet from Rand Paul took center stage of:

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/746022114042478592?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mediaite.com%2Fonline%2Fa-year-ago-rand-paul-tweeted-that-2nd-amendment-exists-to-shoot-at-the-government%2F

According to Paul's spin doctors/team this wasn't a direct quote, but a 'livetweet' of a speech, but all the same the comment got national attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Overheal wrote: »

But he is not wrong, and from the context evidently is engaged in the discussion on how this event relates back to the purpose of the 2nd Amendment, something an old tweet from Rand Paul took center stage of:

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/746022114042478592?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mediaite.com%2Fonline%2Fa-year-ago-rand-paul-tweeted-that-2nd-amendment-exists-to-shoot-at-the-government%2F

According to Paul's spin doctors/team this wasn't a direct quote, but a 'livetweet' of a speech, but all the same the comment got national attention.

I know "tyrannical" is subjective but unless you just want permission to be a terrorist we are talking something big like getting rid of elections, no freedom to travel something fundamental that a Republic would not contemplate.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 81,979 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

silverharp wrote: »
    I know "tyrannical" is subjective but unless you just want permission to be a terrorist we are talking something big like getting rid of elections, no freedom to travel something fundamental that a Republic would not contemplate.

Well, in my humble perspective, the guy was set off by the AHCA, which is just, truly, an awful piece of legislation, with an equally awful political background. I don't know if people actually want to get into it all but the short version is that it repeals most of the ACA, restores the ability of insurance companies to drop you for pre-existing conditions and such - the CBO projections about the bill in its current state were pretty damning, and Scalise triumphed it's passing. And certainly through that lens, killing off Americans to save a few billion dollars, would be tantamount to tyranny.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Overheal wrote: »
    Well, in my humble perspective, the guy was set off by the AHCA, which is just, truly, an awful piece of legislation, with an equally awful political background. I don't know if people actually want to get into it all but the short version is that it repeals most of the ACA, restores the ability of insurance companies to drop you for pre-existing conditions and such - the CBO projections about the bill in its current state were pretty damning, and Scalise triumphed it's passing. And certainly through that lens, killing off Americans to save a few billion dollars, would be tantamount to tyranny.

Agreed. Before ObamaCare they say 35,000 people were dying every year because of no healthcare.

Trump and the republicans want to return to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Seems like the shooter in question had a history of domestic violence and a list with other Republicans on it.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/baseball-shooting-victims-list-james-hodgkinson-steve-scalise-2017-6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

On the plus side, the Democrats won and gave the trophy to the Republicans to hand on to Scalise. Nice display.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-congressional-baseball-game-20170615-story.html

Advertisement