Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 Public Sector Pay Deal

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

Augeo wrote: »
    But COs and EOs are doing work that's transerrable skill wise to the public sector.

If you're willing to wait ten years for a transfer...

Creol1 wrote: »
    If you're willing to wait ten years for a transfer...

Apologies, I meant private sector. COs & EOs can move from public to private sector should they desire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Apologies, I meant private sector. COs & EOs can move from public to private sector should they desire.
    And conversely, people in the private sector can move to Public sector if the desire a career change.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭kippy

fliball123 wrote: »
    Thats easy to say James when you have a large % of the population not being able to afford a pension and having to shell out a large amount in tax to cover the cohort that is current and future public sector workers. Why not even the playing feild if the gov take money off someone for a pension why not let them put it into their own and let the public sector worker supply the full cost of their pension. People are not jealous they are outraged at the 2-tier system that exists ..
    Two Tier system? In relation to pensions?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

......... but the folks left in the PS seem to want pay on a par to what the folks in the private sector get. Benchmarking in the boom and etc etc and now they want pay restored to that level.

did you even read the Pay Commission Report which said they deserved increases?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

fliball123 wrote: »
    Thats easy to say James when you have a large % of the population not being able to afford a pension and having to shell out a large amount in tax to cover the cohort that is current and future public sector workers. Why not even the playing feild if the gov take money off someone for a pension why not let them put it into their own and let the public sector worker supply the full cost of their pension. People are not jealous they are outraged at the 2-tier system that exists ..

That large % of the population could afford a pension, problem is they spent the money on houses, cars, holidays, homes abroad, nights out etc. during the good times and now they are jealous of the guy who worked away in the public sector for his pension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

I see as part of the deal from January 2018 you can decide to reduce your hours to 6.57 and take the pay cut. Has anyone worker out how much this would cost you if you were on say 45k?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Vizzy wrote: »
    And conversely, people in the private sector can move to Public sector if the desire a career change.

..and desire a substantial pay cut

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Sarn

LG1234 wrote: »
    I see as part of the deal from January 2018 you can decide to reduce your hours to 6.57 and take the pay cut. Has anyone worker out how much this would cost you if you were on say 45k?

It's done prorata so it should be about a 5% reduction.

Vizzy wrote: »

Most definitely. I would never suggest otherwise.
    ..and desire a substantial pay cut

Many CO type jobs are €10/€12 an hour in the private sector.
    blanch152 wrote: »
    did you even read the Pay Commission Report which said they deserved increases?

............ they've been offered increases over what they are on :)

• Advertisement

Siiigh

I was naive to hope this would be a discussion between public sector workers about the various points of note in this deal wasn't I.

Is there scope to get a board for public servants only I wonder. The constant derailment of relevant discussion by frankly uninformed (at best) shoulder-chipped individuals makes this a real pain.

On the proposed deal:

- govt dictated from the start that the pot was 880m and this had to be divvied out as the union's wished. The unions seem to have accepted this without any question. That's ridiculous, why bother with them at all.
    - immediate restoration of pay and conditions should be a hard line in the sand prior to any discussion of future agreements. FEMPI is a piece of emergency legislation that has been morphed into the new normal. If the unions can't achieve serious and immediate results here on day one they should end the talks and prepare for action.
    - all FEMPI measures should be included in the immediate wind-down. Hours, PRD, recruitment, the lot. Otherwise the unions should remove themselves from discussion.

Frankly, if my union choose to recommend this offer (it's actually a PER wishlist as far as I can see) I cannot see why I would continue to pay them. They seem utterly confused as to their proper role here- They are party to these talks as the representative body of the respective public servants, and all I can see from them is their willing participation in a govt communications strategy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

On the proposed deal:

- govt dictated from the start that the pot was 880m and this had to be divvied out as the union's wished. The unions seem to have accepted this without any question. That's ridiculous, why bother with them at all.
    - immediate restoration of pay and conditions should be a hard line in the sand prior to any discussion of future agreements. FEMPI is a piece of emergency legislation that has been morphed into the new normal. If the unions can't achieve serious and immediate results here on day one they should end the talks and prepare for action.
    - all FEMPI measures should be included in the immediate wind-down. Hours, PRD, recruitment, the lot. Otherwise the unions should remove themselves from discussion.

Frankly, if my union choose to recommend this offer (it's actually a PER wishlist as far as I can see) I cannot see why I would continue to pay them. They seem utterly confused as to their proper role here- They are party to these talks as the representative body of the respective public servants, and all I can see from them is their willing participation in a govt communications strategy.

I've only been following the reports in the news, but it seems as if there were no or only very limited negotiations?? Most of the time, as I read it, the "negotiations" consisted of the government presenting a paper on some point and the unions accepting it?

Have to be honest and say the only reason I bothered with union membership when I was in the PS was for the cheap car insurance......which wasn't that cheap when you considered that you could take your subs and put them towards a policy and they'd amount to a larger offset than the discount.

I think if I was minded to return to the PS I'd want what I have now with my current employer.......an individualised contract. And I know that's an impossibility given the numbers involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

Siiigh

I was naive to hope this would be a discussion between public sector workers about the various points of note in this deal wasn't I.

Is there scope to get a board for public servants only I wonder. The constant derailment of relevant discussion by frankly uninformed (at best) shoulder-chipped individuals makes this a real pain.

Some of us who aren't public sector don't have that chip and can actually see the wood from the trees without letting their bias get in the way though.

Put in a forum request.

I have no chip. I think some PS were and are overpaid ............ CO type work is done in the private sector for €10/€12 an hour. Hence why the COs don't go working in the private sector :)

Largely, their skill set dictates that they won't be paid as well as they are in the public sector.

Some public sector teachers and nurses etc get better paid jobs in the private sector, the rest don't but like ideally want to be benchmarked against the private sector :)

The public sector will NEVER get a deal or package they are happy with :)

The chips are on them ;)

Some of us who aren't public sector don't have that chip and can actually see the wood from the trees without letting their bias get in the way though.

That's fair, sorry to tar the whole private sector with the one brush :D

I've long wondered what I'm paying them for, fear of chronic illness and the income continuance plan mainly, but it's starting to look more and more likely that you'd be better off taking your chances.

If they merge with Impact that's it. I'm out. My interests aren't well represented now, if we merge with them then there's no hope. That bunch will trod us down to get more for themselves, as they've always done, except now we'll actually be paying Impact for the privilege of being screwed over.

I say this as a former member of my union's branch committee for several years and former national conference delegate on several occasions. I jumped ship when they recommended deals which protected officials but screwed workers, wish I'd just pocketed the last ten years subs instead of wasting them on lining that bunch's pockets. Now they've got their eyes on bigger paying jobs in Impact so they want us to merge.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    You can top a panel in the public sector, but if you haven't worked in the public sector before, you start at the bottom of the pay scale. So you may place higher that somebody applying from within the public sector, but they will be offered a salary above what they are on presently, quite often higher than the higher placed external candidate.

I got a promotion in 2001 to a grade with a supposedly 'negotiable' pay scale entry point. I was a graduate but because I was already working in the PS the personnel officer told me I could not negotiate. This meant I filled a post a grade higher than my previous, but got no pay increase. She freely admitted they were doing this in order to replace experienced higher grade staff with new entrants/graduates/promotees who would work for lower pay

This was in 2001

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭jessabell88

Hello

I've to yet accept an offer for a CO position as I'm currently weighing up my options. I'd be loosing a fair whack financially to accept it 🙈 Anyway, can anyone please tell me what I'd most likely be on if this deal of E5487was to be accepted over the initial three years twice a year in Jan and Oct... Between tax and natural increments occuring in between in most likely august of every year if I accept the start date for that month I'm genuinely confused as to what I'd end up on after the three years! Single person being taxed at the obvious 20 percent

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Hello

I've to yet accept an offer for a CO position as I'm currently weighing up my options. I'd be loosing a fair whack financially to accept it �� Anyway, can anyone please tell me what I'd most likely be on if this deal of E5487was to be accepted over the initial three years twice a year in Jan and Oct... Between tax and natural increments occuring in between in most likely august of every year if I accept the start date for that month I'm genuinely confused as to what I'd end up on after the three years! Single person being taxed at the obvious 20 percent

You might find the information you want in this forum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Politics is more about discussion of the political side of things as opposed to the specifics of each job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Hurling Hereford

Hello

I've to yet accept an offer for a CO position as I'm currently weighing up my options. I'd be loosing a fair whack financially to accept it �� Anyway, can anyone please tell me what I'd most likely be on if this deal of E5487was to be accepted over the initial three years twice a year in Jan and Oct... Between tax and natural increments occuring in between in most likely august of every year if I accept the start date for that month I'm genuinely confused as to what I'd end up on after the three years! Single person being taxed at the obvious 20 percent

As the spouse of a Clerical Officer in the Civil Service, our advice to you is stick with your job in the Private Sector both financially and for your own 'peace of mind'. Hope that helps!

Advertisement