Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

The Wii (and WiiU and 3DS) had the Nintendo Selects line and at least two of those consoles can't be considered flops ...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Credit where it's due, I didn't realise that 🙂

Having said that, I remember it being hard to find some Players Choice titles even on the GC (Resi 4 in particular, which I eventually bought off a pal rather than pay the... €50? I think GAME still wanted at the time). So I expect I just wasn't paying enough attention to shops when I had a Wii to see the Selects title make it onto the shelf before they vanished.

I guess we might see something like that in 1-2 years if Switch sales slow down (e.g. if the Steam Deck does well and starts to compete for the 3rd party hybrid device audience, though I don't see that happening without a big marketing push tbh)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I'm going to get the Steam Deck, and I'm actually really looking forward to it. But I don't see it lighting fires in a manner which unduly troubles the Switch.

The Venn diagrams will overlap, but I don't think it will be a significant overlap.

Having said that, I did slightly examine some announcements from last nights Direct in that light.

No Man's Sky on Switch or on Steam Deck? Probably Steam Deck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The difference I feel will be the Deck remains something of a niche product for hardcore gamers. I doubt Valve have a marketing campaign lined up to hit the masses, and I can't believe they'd have the clout or reserves of cash anyway; not that it could compete with Nintendo from a cultural point of view. And that's fine, both systems can share the space, there's room for both.

Besides, if I'm not mistaken, Valve are like Google in that they have a reputation for quickly dropping hardware projects that didn't pan out how they expected / wanted. I'd be very slow to pick up a Deck til I knew it was a "success" for Valve.

• Advertisement

I broadly agree, which is why I still don't see it impacting too much on Nintendo. The price point of entry is lower for Nintendo, and more so if you want to go hand-held only. The Deck also has that PC-ish aspect for some games, in that you may need to tweak and optimise to get things working properly. With Nintendo, you can generally assume that this is taken care of and if the game runs badly, that's on the developer, not on you.

I think Valve DO have the cash and probably don't need to do much actual marketing to hit their market. For me, the Deck is a bit of an impulse buy, but even if Valve retreat from the product it should be usable.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It'll be interesting to see how the Deck fares. Given Nintendo's abject failure to do anything about Joycon drift, and Valve's track record on controllers, I feel that's one place where Valve will have an advantage.

It does depend on what Valve's goal is and how they go about it, though - the company management does lend itself spectacularly to "that sounds boring so even if it's necessary nobody will do it", and they've certainly gotten confortable enough running the Steam store that it's hard to imagine them putting in a sustained serious effort to push the Deck if it doesn't have a strong initial reception.

2022 looking similar to 2017. Looking to be a great year for Switch.

Steam Deck is catch 22 imo. It’s ideally for those with an established Steam library and those people have a PC and many of the opinion that higher resolution and frame rate matter.

Then comes along the Steam Deck which will deliver lower resolution and frame rates for their games. So after the novelty of playing a game handheld wears off, will those players just default back to their PC?

I also agree with the thought that the market for Steam Deck and market for Switch barely overlap. They don’t compete with each imo. If anything the two systems compliment each other.

I'd say the Deck is more likely an additional rather than exclusive device. But all the arguments you've made against it apply equally to 3rd party ports on the Switch, and they presumably still sell decently. So it depends on what people want, and e.g. how many people would be thinking about buying a Switch but are more interested in 3rd party titles.

Personally Nintendo hardware is always bought as a way to get Nintendo first party games, with 3rd party titles being a nice-to-have, and in the case of Switch ports generally not being worth it compared to the same game for probably less cost and better performance on my PC. I don't really play handheld much because even with a grip the ergonomics of the Switch are pretty poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

@Andrew76 just to say thanks for this tip... had to check YouTube a few times this morning while playing some aggravating puzzles that would have otherwise resulted in my Switch Lite flying across the room against the wall

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

No bother. 🙂

Is that Luigi's Mansion you're playing btw? Was tempted to get it but not if it had a bunch of head wrecking puzzles, zero patience for that kind of thing. 😀

yeah.. it's a great game, but 13 hours in I'm eager to see it through so running out of patience if I don't "get" how to solve a particular section in the first few tries. It was all fairly intuitive up until the latter levels where things aren't quite so obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

The WiiU and 3DS eShops are on the way out, with a deadline of March 2023 for going offline

I'll certainly be taking any suggestions for must-grabs, if anyone has any.

can games still be downloaded?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,219 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Nintendo receives backlash from fans over ending eShop purchases

"There are 300 games from classic systems such as the Game Boy and SNES available on the Wii U eShop in the UK, and 187 classic games on the 3DS."

That's almost 500 games(more systems too like the GBA and DS) that you can purchase permanently, versus the somewhere around the 100 mark of NES, SNES and N64 games on Switch that are rentals, and only available as long as you remain subscribed to NSO.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,832 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

You can download still as long as you've purchased?

"forseeable future" doesn't mean forever :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,092 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Radiant Historia definitely a must have for 3ds game is amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Honestly given how easy it is to instal custom firmware on the 3DS, I wouldn't worry about it.

• Advertisement

Yes. Existing purchased games will be downloadable. New eShop purchases will not be.

BBC reports "backlash".....reports on a single tweet.

This was always coming. People complaining for the sake of complaining and would have had zero interest in purchasing eShop games for 3DS or Wii U a year from now anyways.

Mental note to fix my screen-popping 3DS. I meant to buy a 2DS XL. Having looking online, guess I won't be doing that!

I imagine 3DS's will be going very cheap soon... Nintendo DS Lite was my last one of those types of handhelds... what was the pull for the 3DS?

It had 3D AR capabilities or something?

I would like to see you right on this one, but the prices and stock levels seem to be trending in a different direction in short term anyway. I thought it would be possible to locate a non-special edition 2DS XL easily enough. It isn't.

3DS has a great back catalogue, the AR is decent. I wasn't personally gone on the 3D itself. Streetpass was kind of cool, esp when travelling to Asia.

Nintendo Acquires a Studio It's Worked With Since 1983

Strange after almost 40 years of working together, Nintendo finally decides to acquire SRD.

Pokemon Presents announced for February 27, 2022

It's happening at 2pm Irish time.

UK: Pokémon Presents | 27.2.2022

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Hopefully they're more complete entries than basic Sw/Sh — for the all the flack Gen 8 took, they were extremely promising games that were undercooked upon release. The fact Game Freak were developing PLA and these Gen 9 games in tandem gives me cause for concern, not least the inevitable crunch that must've been involved.

Advertisement