Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think the lack of a browser points to Nintendo's attitude that this device is for gaming, first and foremost.

Similar reasons to why Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney plus have not had their services available on the Switch.

It's not a multimedia hub, it's simply a pathway to play Nintendo games

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,951 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

With my smart phone sitting beside me as I game, the lack of a browser has never been noticed. Whatever confusion or help I might need only a quick Google away on the phone. Especially as I can't imagine a Switch browser would be especially user friendly or as fast as a "normal" browser experience.

Browsers require constant updating to support ever evolving web security standards and I reckon Nintendo couldn’t be arsed. And rightly so. The effort required for such little value-add is justified imo.

Easier to pause and pick up my phone tbh.

They can also be quite RAM hungry so the user experience of using a browser while a game is suspended isn’t great - Wii U is proof of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

The thing is.. the software is there, so just has to be turned on. Yes it might be a security thing alright, though workarounds will always be found if the software exists.

I found the PS4 browser handy when I wanted to check something quickly while playing through a game there last month. My phone isn't on my person at all times, and any other internet-enabled device with a screen that I use has some sort of basic browser (TV, PS4, Oculus Quest, Tablet, Wii U, Xbox 360, etc etc)

Seems I'm not alone and a lot of people would want to see a web browser enabled

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5xtpzc/what_features_would_you_like_to_see_added_to/

Anyway discussing it here ain't gonna make it happen but, like the wireless headphones, hopefully it's a feature they "turn on" one day for those that want to use it (though the workaround I posted up earlier might be handy for general searches... must give it a try tonight)

NOTE: Obviously don't enter any personal details into the browser going through this DNS btw, though the creator of the DNS has posted up on reddit and seems a genuine bloke so caveat emptor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I assumed it was because the Wii U was hacked with browser exploits. Looks like they have some kind of browser on it though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

A browser would make it easier to hack/jailbreak. I'm pretty sure that's how every Nintendo consoles since the DS has been hacked

• Registered Users Posts: 18,100 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I love my Switch due to my horrible health issues since 2015 it has been the only console I have been able to enjoy with my sight issues the handheld aspects are a Dogsend it's been woof reading about PS5 and Xbox games gamepass and other such innovations but having access to games like Shin Megami V Danganronpa and Pokemon Arceus have kept me engaged in this hobby I have enjoyed for the past three decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,910 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I don't know if you meant to say Dogsend and wuff reading but it gave me a chuckle anyway.

Is the eyesight likely to improve with time or will it deteriorate further?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

@mrcheez - isn’t there a YouTube app on the switch? That might be worth checking next time. 🙂 I’d always check YT before Google when stuck in a game tbh.

Is there? OK can check that out too, cheers!

Hopefully I wouldn't need to check another walkthrough... just I'm 85% complete and this one small stupid thing was holding me up for 30 mins so I gave in ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Not going to see BOTW 2 in there are we?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,100 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Pray to Xenu we see BOTW 2 drop from the golden skies in March more likely Project Triangle Kirby Rune Factory 5 and hopefully some long overdue SNES NES and Expansion Pak info on new games, SNES game for me is Mystical Ninja I would scream with joy for that

Definitely gonna see BOTW2, Mario Kart 9, Metroid Prime 4 and 5, and Switch Pro 4K. It's not a Nintendo Direct unless you completely over hype lol :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Why not chuck in Half Life 3 as a Switch exclusive while we're at it? 😉

sure that came out 2 years ago in VR

;) *ducks*

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭tbahh

Switch 2 please, BOTW gets four sequels like Avatar. Mario Kart pulls a Microsoft and gets called Mario Kart 10 :)

Realistically the following:

- Splatoon 3 confirmed for May release date

- A Fire Emblem remake announced for April

- James Bond 007 confirmed for NSO+ Expansion Pass

- Mario to get something, maybe paid DLC for that recent party game

- Ring Fit Adventure 2

- Xenoblade Chronicles 3 teased in a reveal

Mario Kart 10 isn’t an unrealistic name, if they count Mario Kart World Tour as 9. There has been a rumour calling it Mario Kart X (stylised as X-roads or “Cross Roads”)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭tbahh

There is also Mario Kart Live Home Circuit so they can jump onto Mario Kart 11.

They have dropped the number system again in the Mario Party series and I could see it being dropped again for Mario Kart going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,881 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Making my way through that at the moment.

I'd say if BotW2 is 2022 we'll get the date in the June/E3 Direct.

Might get Splatoon 3 date tomorrow. With 40 mins to fill I expect they'll spend time on Kirby. Not sure what else they'll focus on.

• Advertisement

My (serious) direct predictions:

• Kirby showcase (reiterate it’s out March 25)

• Advanced Wars + release date

• Triangle Strategy + release date

• Outer Wilds + release date

• Rune Factory 5 + release date for NA/EU

• Hollow Knight Silksong + release date

• Latest NSO N64 release (probably Majora’s Mask) + sizzle reel of more

• Splatoon 3 teaser, release window (Summer), closes the direct.

• Mario + Rabbids release window (summer, maybe Spring)

• some new port / indie game (out today!)

• Batman Arkham Collection + release date

• No Zelda or Metroid Prime 4

• Something new, like bundled DLC, for NSO Expansion (long shot)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,951 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ha, which will be announced first, BOTW2 release date or Silksong? Cos both feel intangible ATM lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,881 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I know with sales still going the way they are, it won't be any time soon, but will we ever get a budget line Nintendo Selects on Switch?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,966 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There will definitely be a Squaresoft remaster there. We are long overdue one from the nvidia leak.

I'm praying for the rumoured FF Tactics/Tactics Ogre remaster but more likely it will be Chrono Cross which recently had a tie in with a F2P game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,954 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Have never watched a direct, or E3 or reaction video to either. Prefer just reading the announcements next day without all the shìte attached. Plus 10pm is way past my bedtime on a school night.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I doubt it. I remember the Gamecube having a decent budget line and only realised later that it was an attempt to rally that system's poor sales.

It'd be nice, but Nintendo is not a company to voluntarily drop the price of a 5 year old title if they can keep selling it at close to its original RRP. If anything the eShop and occasional sale-only (modest) discounts of first party titles have seen them double down on this.

What will be interesting is when the Steam Deck launches and makes it possible to get a Switch-like experience for all the non-Switch-exclusive 3rd party titles, at a cheaper price and with regular sales. I'd like to see it light a bit of a fire under Nintendo's arse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Gamecube didn't come close to the PS2 numbers, 22 million vs 155 million, but it was only 2 million units behind the Xbox, and I don't think folk assumed that the OG Xbox was cursed with poor sales.

Ehn, look at the state Nintendo releases Super Mario Sunshine in. You can't tell me that's the level of taking time to get it right that a company aims for if they think their platform is selling well. And "I was nearly 2nd" isn't really a compelling argument when 2 different companies, both very new to the market, have outsold your platform by a comfortable margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Yeah but did the PS2 or XB have a carry handle....for emmmm reasons....

• Advertisement

I think because the OG Xbox was a first gen console for MS it gets a slight pass in that regard, whereas Nintendo had almost 20 years in the game when they launched the Gamecube so there was more expectation to do better.

Gamecube is one of my favourite systems though.

Advertisement