Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

The last 10min of the 2011 final are singly the worst and best 10min of my life and I never want to live it again for fear of a coronary.

Christ wasn’t it just, when Donaghy’s effort eventually came back into our atmosphere and over the bar I got a sudden dejavu of Maurice Fitz in Thurles thinking ah jaysus, until........sure ye know the rest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Yup. Then Kevin Nolan did his thing.

I worked with his dad in Dún Laoghaire at the time and the big beaming head on him on the Tuesday morning when I got to work.

Sure here it is...

When Kev Mac gets done for touching on the ground in the 62nd minute that was when I hought our goose was cooked on the day.

Sure here it is...

When Kev Mac gets done for touching on the ground in the 62nd minute that was when I hought our gooe was cooked on the day.

Exactly my thoughts at the time, thought our composure is gone now these will saunter home. I always felt Kevin Nolan’s point widely gets over looked aswell, the crucial nature of that following immediately from Kev Mc’s goal to level it, think it was his only championship score aswell if I’m not mistaken, what a time to do it plus to think the roaming corner back hadn’t fully evolved then either. Real shame his career halted due to health issues but he’ll always have that day capped with the motm award!

Exactly my thoughts at the time, thought our composure is gone now these will saunter home. I always felt Kevin Nolan’s point widely gets over looked aswell, the crucial nature of that following immediately from Kev Mc’s goal to level it, think it was his only championship score aswell if I’m not mistaken, what a time to do it plus to think the roaming corner back hadn’t fully evolved then either. Real shame his career halted due to health issues but he’ll always have that day capped with the motm award!

I don't think there's a Dub alive who underestimates that point. Not that I've met anyway.

The kick outs went to shoite in that period.

It's actually a prime example to show people who think that Gavin hasn't done much with the team.

• Advertisement

I don't think there's a Dub alive who underestimates that point. Not that I've met anyway.

The kick outs went to shoite in that period.

It's actually a prime example to show people who think that Gavin hasn't done much with the team.

No just from the point of always seeing re-runs of Kev’s goal and Clucko’s free I always have that thought of Kev Nolan’s point and of course Berno’s point on 68’ to put us ahead, I truly start sh!tting myself then thinking are we actually going to do this??

Brogan actually had to ask someone after the game was his point the winner, those final moments were a complete blur!

Fair.

---

It's annoying, the lad in the glasses shouting at 11:59 in that video and the 2 lads at 12:43 are actually sitting just beside me. We were directly above the Cusack tunnel. So close to being immortalised on RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭corny

Overlooked???? He got a bleedin All Star for that point.

I've a memory of screaming like a lunatic at Connolly to give it to the free man (Nolan). Lucky for us all he listened to me.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    How many genuine away games (not neutral venue) have Dublin played in the championship in the last 10 years

Just wondering from all you die-hard dubs

Why? Can you not use Google?
    Yes I remember thinking Lyons was a genius. It was disgraceful. But I've some amazing memories, ryaner took his jersey off his back and gave me it aged 17 still have it to this day

Shane Ryan was a scarily improved propostition in 2008 and 09... It concerned me.

Imagine Shane Ryan in this current Dublin team he is one of the few players from that era who would slot straight in and be one of their most important players

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭WanderlustIre

kilns wrote: »
    Imagine Shane Ryan in this current Dublin team he is one of the few players from that era who would slot straight in and be one of their most important players

Shane Ryan could of been 120 metres from the ball, id want the ball played to him. His presence on the ball was amazing.

It was like give it to Shane, give it to Shane hahaha man was amazing. Id of trusted him carrying me wife up the field.
    Jack McCaffrey very like him, how they both ran at the lines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Why? Can you not use Google?

I couldn't find it
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yup. Then Kevin Nolan did his thing.

I worked with his dad in Dún Laoghaire at the time and the big beaming head on him on the Tuesday morning when I got to work.

The Tuesday of what week? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,413 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Sure here it is...

When Kev Mac gets done for touching on the ground in the 62nd minute that was when I hought our goose was cooked on the day.

Kerry threw it away that day.
    After a Darren O'Sullivan point, I remember him clenching his fist after the score.
    Kerry then switched off into coasting mode (a lot like 82) then the Kevin Mc goal came out of nowhere.

It had to be the jammiest AI Dublin won out of the last five. They were damn lucky to catch Kerry as they wound down, and struggled to get up to pace again.

I hope Jim Gavin never lets this Dublin team fall into that trap of complacency.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Gael85

It was my one memory that always stuck out. I'm a Crokes Clubman so I was a minor then and looked up to Him. He was good, well after that he didn't walk on air around Glenalbyn anymore

A Crokes man location D12? Are you still playing ball?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭flasher0030

After a Darren O'Sullivan point, I remember him clenching his fist after the score.
    Kerry then switched off into coasting mode (a lot like 82) then the Kevin Mc goal came out of nowhere.

It had to be the jammiest AI Dublin won out of the last five. They were damn lucky to catch Kerry as they wound down, and struggled to get up to pace again.

I hope Jim Gavin never lets this Dublin team fall into that trap of complacency.

THe Gods were on your side alright. Small decisions - but helpful to get over the line.

- Around the 67 minute mark, one of the backs double hopped the ball. Never noticed it before.

- And then there was the Kevin Mc 10 steps

- There was about a 70 second stoppage for Cluxton to take the free, but ref only added on 10 seconds

Just saying. Not begrudging. I was on the Hill that day shouting for the blues.

Read somewhere diabetes could have been triggered by body reaction to Dublin winning in 2011. He never drank or smoke.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/dublins-forgotten-man-how-a-run-of-bad-luck-forced-2011-all-ireland-manofthematch-off-the-radar-35094666.html

THe Gods were on your side alright. Small decisions - but helpful to get over the line.

- Around the 67 minute mark, one of the backs double hopped the ball. Never noticed it before.

- There was about a 70 second stoppage for Cluxton to take the free, but ref only added on 10 seconds

:D:D

Someones nose around here just got velly velly long... :D:D:D

How many genuine away games (not neutral venue) have Dublin played in the championship in the last 10 years

How many away games to Dublin play from 96-2010 in championship? Where were the calls for replays to be played outside Croker for Meath 4 in a row games in 91, Kildare 98/2000 draws? Leinster counties should have flagging Dublin playing all games in Croke Park in early 90s not 20 later years later.

In fairness he must have been very tired walking up to take that free, the referee was obviously aware of that and was very fair about it :D

• Advertisement

Gael85 wrote: »
    A Crokes man location D12? Are you still playing ball?

Originally from Tudor. Living over this way with the partner the last 9 years. Yes playing junior now.

How many away games to Dublin play from 96-2010 in championship? Where were the calls for replays to be played outside Croker for Meath 4 in a row games in 91, Kildare 98/2000 draws? Leinster counties should have flagging Dublin playing all games in Croke Park in early 90s not 20 later years later.

I don't know. Why don't you ask the GAA, or all the Leinster Council presidents who have oversee the votes as to where to hold games. They are the ones who decide venues and not us.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭gaffolino

Logged into my tickets.ie account to check my tickets for the final and looks like I'm in 305PP. BOOM!

Are you a season ticket holder. Would love to see where mine are!!

gaffolino wrote: »

They didn't care then cause Dublin's "Resources" where different then. There was no desire for the county to be cut north and south.

Dublin have worked grassroots for years, making sure all under age coaches had done their badges with CLG to ensure the best possible production line. It isn't a conspiracy Dublin responded to a largely unsuccessful period and turned it around.

The real question should be how have Dublin football managed so much success despite having not played a home league game since 2009, or a home championship match since 2004.

Dublin by circumstance have effectively been made homeless as a result.
    The bigger crowds in Croke Park have helped the leinster council to fund other teams far more then it has helped Dublin.
    Those teams that play/played Dublin in Croke in the national league also get a benefit financially.

Fair play to Dublin for just getting on with it.
    Maybe someday the Dublin footballers will come home again?
    Currently it is just a cross they have to bear.

I forgot just how many steps Kev took until I looked last night. Oops.
    ProudDUB wrote: »
    I don't know. Why don't you ask the GAA, or all the Leinster Council presidents who have oversee the votes as to where to hold games. They are the ones who decide venues and not us.

I think we need to get you a diagram PD. Gael85 is a coddle loving, Herald reading, Heffo adoring Dub.
    gaffolino wrote: »

Yeah, just log into tickets.ie and you can see it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Dublin didn't play home league games in Croker back then

Dublin didn't play home league games in Croker back then

Wrong. Dublin played league games from 1990-1996 in Croke Park.

• Advertisement

Wrong. Dublin played league games from 1990-1996 in Croke Park.

Correct 93 it was I think we'd a replay against Donegal. All home games played in Croker.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement