Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,434 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Stoner wrote: »
    Paddy Small didn't have a great game.
    O'Gara hasn't learned anything at all it seems.

Galway are a decent team all the same.

Just saw TSG thought Marty Clarke was very composed, his analysis (if his) of kildare over three games was good. I hope we see more of him.

As I said, O'Gara, for all his talent, has to be finished.

Paddy Small had a terrible game, as did Reddin, Lowdnes, and a few others. It is easy coming into a Dublin team winning all around, but Gavin will learn a lot more from how these players pick themselves up.

I would start with Comerford, Byrne, Lowdnes, the two Smalls, Reddin, Costello, Carthy, McHugh, Basquel, McGowan and O'Conghaile against Monaghan. It's a dead rubber, but Gavin would learn much more from playing that lot than throwing out the usual suspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Tellyium

blanch152 wrote: »
    Was at the game today.
    If it is a 12-week ban to put your hands on an official, should it be a six-week ban to put your hands on a mentor from the opposing.....
    Galway's plan won't survive Croke Park. Easy to see how they can beat a Mayo team in Pearse Park or even Castlebar. The bigger pitch in Croke Park will catch them out. Looking forward to the final...

Kilkenny was brilliant again. Fenton showed his class in the second half, even if he blocked every runner. Galway were the best team we have faced so far, yet we drew, without Cluxton,

We’ve had no expectation for the league beyond survival, so to have Dublin fans dismissing our approach and anticipating a lesson for us in a division 1 final is a good place to be for us! On the Sherlock ‘incident’, it was much ado about nothing, and really, black coats should never get involved with players.
    There’s still our Corofin lads to come back and a couple of championship starters to return in the next few weeks so we may not yet be hammered by ye in the final ! Anyway, ‘‘twas good to check in with ye today and here’s to a good div 1 final.
    Btw, Pearse Park is in Longford, but it’s a forgivable mistake for Dubs to not know county grounds names when ye are never given the chance to travel outside of Croke Stadium 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Paddy Small had a terrible game, as did Reddin, Lowdnes, and a few others. It is easy coming into a Dublin team winning all around, but Gavin will learn a lot more from how these players pick themselves up.

I would start with Comerford, Byrne, Lowdnes, the two Smalls, Reddin, Costello, Carthy, McHugh, Basquel, McGowan and O'Conghaile against Monaghan. It's a dead rubber, but Gavin would learn much more from playing that lot than throwing out the usual suspects.

i know today was a dead rubber and so is the monaghan match , but surly they are both going to ask more questions then most teams in leinster this year

meath huff and puff , great ability but rarely show it , kildare have excellent forwards but no defensive plan , and probably carlow are the next best in the provence , excellent midfielders loads of effort but playing division 4 is miles away from yer level ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Tellyium wrote: »
    Btw, Pearse Park is in Longford, but it’s a forgivable mistake for Dubs to not know county grounds names when ye are never given the chance to travel outside of Croke Stadium ��

I think blanch152 would have got the stadium name right eventually if you gave him another nine minutes. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

As a neutral, I don't understand how he is still in the reckoning for ye, he's more of a liability than an asset. As for 'talent'...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Fann Linn wrote: »
    It'll be passed down by mouth from father to son for time immemorial.

And I for one can say: 'I Saw.'

Anyone have a link that I can listen back to it. Tried looking on the website and can’t find it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Same As wrote: »
    As a neutral, I don't understand how he is still in the reckoning for ye, he's more of a liability than an asset. As for 'talent'...

It seems to be this idea that brings something different with his strength and power than the other forwards. but he must be in thin ice now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,434 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

We’ve had no expectation for the league beyond survival, so to have Dublin fans dismissing our approach and anticipating a lesson for us in a division 1 final is a good place to be for us! On the Sherlock ‘incident’, it was much ado about nothing, and really, black coats should never get involved with players.
    There’s still our Corofin lads to come back and a couple of championship starters to return in the next few weeks so we may not yet be hammered by ye in the final ! Anyway, ‘‘twas good to check in with ye today and here’s to a good div 1 final.

Both teams were missing more than a few. Dublin started without Cluxton, McCaffrey, O'Sullivan, Fenton, Scully, Connolly, Mannion and O'Callaghan.

I fancy Galway to win Connacht and the point I was making was that type of defensive game is much harder to maintain on the bigger pitch of Croke Park.

Btw, Pearse Park is in Longford, but it’s a forgivable mistake for Dubs to not know county grounds names when ye are never given the chance to travel outside of Croke Stadium ��

Whatever, be picky if you want. Nice to be able to get a supermacs at half-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭miocicmma

Is there any cause for concern from yesterdays poor performance? I've never seen this Dublin team struggle so much to break down an opponents defence. Yes Galway set out with 14 men behind the ball but teams have set up defensively against Dublin before and they have always found a way to penetrate. Dublin were forced to switch and recycle possession more than I've ever seen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

miocicmma wrote: »
    Is there any cause for concern from yesterdays poor performance? I've never seen this Dublin team struggle so much to break down an opponents defence. Yes Galway set out with 14 men behind the ball but teams have set up defensively against Dublin before and they have always found a way to penetrate. Dublin were forced to switch and recycle possession more than I've ever seen before.

The Dubs are still unbeaten, arent they ?

Even if they lost one, that wouldnt be the end of the world. I remember the days when we couldnt make it to the Leinster final, nevermind a Division 1 final.

They were down a good few points and were on top at the end only for Galway to equalise in the 9th minute of extra time from what I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,435 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

miocicmma wrote: »

Nope it was basically a training exercise for Dublin fringe players.
    Dublin did not really have to go 100% either if they needed the win it would be a very different line up and performance.
    In fairness Galway themselves tried out a lot of fellas and were missing the Corofin lads.

Wouldn't be reading anything into the game, other then: Galway wanted to show they were no push overs, O'Gara is still a thick, and Jayo deserves a nobel peace prize for breaking up a potential fracas /melee /schmozzle (or whatever they call it)

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭miocicmma

Nope it was basically a training exercise for Dublin fringe players.
    Dublin did not really have to go 100% either if they needed the win it would be a very different line up and performance.
    In fairness Galway themselves tried out a lot of fellas and were missing the Corofin lads.

Wouldn't be reading anything into the game, other then: Galway wanted to show they were no push overs, O'Gara is still a thick, and Jayo deserves a nobel peace prize for breaking up a potential fracas /melee /schmozzle (or whatever they call it)

Handbags:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Oh, I think I 'll call it a 'getting to know you' session.

The final should be some craic. That's presuming Galway actually show up for it and don't $hit the bed in Croker, yet again.

Boom.

There.

I said it.

Shots fired ! :D

Btw, 6 lads from Ballymun started yesterday - or were named to start. :rolleyes: That is a massive contribution from just one club imo. For all the hype and hoopla over Vincents and their stranglehold grip on the Dublin Senior Champo, they're not doing much to bring new intercounty standard players through, at the rate that BK are. I get that the Vinnies lads are generally club tied when the O'Byrne Cup and the league are kicking off, but still, Dermo and Ger B were the last two lads to make the step up and, that was over a decade ago. That's a very unimpressive trrack record, for such a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Oh I think I 'll call it a 'getting to know you' session. :D

The final should be some craic. That's presuming Galway actually show up for it and don't $hit the bed in Croker, yet again.

Boom.

There.

I said it.

Shots fired !

Btw, 6 lads from Ballymun started yesterday - or were named to start. :rolleyes: That is a massive contribution from just one club imo. For all the hype and hoopla over Vincents and their stranglehold grip on the Dublin Senior Champo, they're not doing much to bring new intercounty standard players through, at the rate that BK are. I get that the Vinnies lads are generally club tied when the O'Byrne Cup and the league are kicking off, but still, Dermo and Ger B were the last two lads to make the step up and, that was over a decade ago. That's a very unimpressive trrack record, for such a club.

You've managed to malign Galway and Vinnies in the one post.

Well played that chap :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

I meant to remark on the rise of Andy McGowan (KC) into the senior panel, fair play to the chap he must be doing a solid shift up in St. Clares to have caught Gavins attention so quickly - bearing in mind he was more often a replacement with the 21's last year. I would've thought the likes of Sean McMahon would be further down the line, (tho I've a feeling he's a bit younger). It's also a bit surprising we haven't seen Aaron Byrne at this stage given his performances last year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Have to admit, I've no problem with the way Galway played, fair play to them for getting themselves to the point that they can compete with Dublin I say. Plenty of other teams get beaten before they take to the pitch against this Dublin team, so it was refreshing to learn of a team that brought a bit of bite and fire, and more importantly, scores. There's been a fair few other teams that tried to bring the pain, and ended up on the end of a 12 point drubbing.

The handbags and dragging stuff that went on is also fine in my book, these Dublin players are more than capable of throwing it out there too, and to be honest, I think if you don't apply at least some cynicism in your game, then you're going to get walked over by the bigger teams, not just Dublin. I think it's just part and parcel of what goes into a successful intercounty team these days.

When I heard O'Gara go on, I wondered what colour card he'd pick up, and sure enough, he got a red.

Looking forward to the final now, I think Galway will go for it now, and hope they aren't cowed by the occasion/Croke Park. Win or lose, another good hard game will do the Dubs a world of good.

Not massively interested in the Moran/Jayo incidents, both deserve a punishment, but the rules in the GAA are so inconsistently imposed that I don't hold out any hope of it being resolved properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭LeakRate

Shane Carthy, Savo, Gavin Burke, there's been a few. Vinnies will be in a decline with very little coming through. Plus the mun should have had at least one or two more dublin champo's in the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

LeakRate wrote: »

Shane Carthy, Savo, Gavin Burke,there's been a few. Vinnies will be in a decline with very little coming through. Plus the mun should have had at least one or two more dublin champo's in the last couple of years.

And the last back to back or knock out championship game that either one of them started, would be......

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Was at the game yesterday. Kilkenny was super, kicked some great points from play. It's a shame he feels he has to resort to the cynical stuff he carrys on with at the end of games, with Comer yesterday and Keegan in last year's AI final. Something you wouldn't see Bernard Brogan doing.

I am from neither Vinnies or the mun.

But I look at it completely the other way to you.
    Ballymun are arguably the biggest underachievers in club football in Ireland never mind Dublin!
    Losing to teams they should be beating on paper.

In contrast to Ballymun, Vincents show nous and guile. Even though they have old legs.
    Vincents know how to win games when it comes to the crunch against Ballymun.
    How many times have Ballymun lost to Vincents at this stage when they should have won?

There should be real questions asked of the Ballymun management considering the players available to them.
    Vincents have a decent management on the sideline that is the difference?

Otherwise, the Ballymun lads don't seem to have it between the ears and do not know how to see a game out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

I am from neither Vinnies or the mun.

But I look at it completely the other way to you.
    Ballymun are arguably the biggest underachievers in club football in Ireland never mind Dublin!
    Losing to teams they should be beating on paper.

In contrast to Ballymun, Vincents show nous and guile. Even though they have old legs.
    Vincents know how to win games when it comes to the crunch against Ballymun.
    How many times have Ballymun lost to Vincents at this stage when they should have won?

There should be real questions asked of the Ballymun management considering the players available to them.
    Vincents have a decent management on the sideline that is the difference?

Otherwise the Ballymun lads don't seem to have it between the ears and do not know how to see a game out?

I am from Ballymun (living stateside for a long time now) and I will argue that Ballymun fall on their sword every year “donating” our talent to the county. As much as I enjoy seeing all that success in September I would much prefer to have some local success in November and March. I can’t argue about the under achievement piece above but I will tell you we have 8 players in our small club that were described to me as full time athletes who will play little or no part in the club between now and the end of September (please god).  They will rejoin the club in October and we are expected to win because we have full time athletes. I witnessed Kickhams and St. Vincents last year and as hard as it is for me to say this it was a bunch of very talented men in red and green against a team. I fear it’s going to be worse this year with 8 out of the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

LeakRate wrote: »
    Shane Carthy, Savo, Gavin Burke, there's been a few. Vinnies will be in a decline with very little coming through. Plus the mun should have had at least one or two more dublin champo's in the last couple of years.

TBH I think Kickhams have suffered from having so many of their first team on the county panel, seriously underachieved

ProudDUB, its so competitive to get on the panel, nevermind get on the starting team especially if your a youngfella playing in a position dominated by other players who are just as good. The dynamics of the game have skyrocketed. You have to be fast.

Gavin has been very clever that he doesnt have a team without leaders. He'll try one or two new lads usually when the job is done.

The Dublin Club Player of the year last year was from Vinnies (Nathan Mullins), yet he doesnt play for the County team. He plays for Donegal, such is the competitiveness to get in the Dublin panel.

Infact the current Dublin GAA Club players panel of the year had more Vinnies players than those from Kickhams. Again not all of them are on the panel for one reason or another. Mossy and Ger are retired from county level years back, as the county team game became quicker, but are still playing at club level. Savage has forever lived in the shadow of one of the games best keepers at county level.

So right now yeah, the current makeup of the Dublin Panel doesnt have a high representation of Vincents lads but just because your on a club team that has won 4 of the last 5 Dublin club championships doesnt give you the divine right to get on the panel.

By the way Craig Wilson also got a game this year. Anyone of the 3 Diamond brothers would walk onto another County team that doesnt have the specific competition for certain places.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

muddle84 wrote:
    Moran got in the refs face, but i didn't see him grab, push or pull him did he?

He bumped his chest into him, the ref was knocked back a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

What would you call that move a "Dolly Parton" ?
    Since they love thier country music around there :D

Clear enough when you blow it up (Cntrl + a few times on a laptop)

Mar-19-2018-07-59-21.gif

What was he thinking of. He actually runs at and into him.

I dont regard it as anything that requires 12 weeks off. But the same could be said of Connolly.

Its the consistency of the CCCC decisions to review cases and the consistency of the Sunday Game in deciding whether it gets on CCCC radar that needs to be tackled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

No way it deserves a three month ban, but totally agree with you regarding the influence which the pundit class has on these matters.

Spillane was being very coy last night in excusing both Moran and Jason. I would like to think that is because he has wound his neck in and regrets what happened to Connolly. Be interesting to see if he and others maintain such admirable aloofness as the year goes on. I certainly would not like to see Moran get 3 months, and Vinnie Murphy and others have tweeted the same view. It does highlight the weakness of officialdom in the face of the mob mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Bonniedog wrote: »
    No way it deserves a three month ban, but totally agree with you regarding the influence which the pundit class has on these matters.

Spillane was being very coy last night in excusing both Moran and Jason. I would like to think that is because he has wound his neck in and regrets what happened to Connolly. Be interesting to see if he and others maintain such admirable aloofness as the year goes on. I certainly would not like to see Moran get 3 months, and Vinnie Murphy and others have tweeted the same view. It does highlight the weakness of officialdom in the face of the mob mentality.

That was what I and many others were saying at the time of Dermo's ban. It wasn't the ban that was the problem but the precident it set for the GAA and were they going to be consistent. The answer to that is now a resounding NO and makes a mockery of sitting a lad down for the majority of a championship campaign for an offense that wouldn't be punished 99 times out of 100.

Going by the ban handed out last year then Moran most definitely should be looking at a 12 week ban. I don't agree with that position but thems the rules set out by GAA HQ and the CCCC.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭corny

Did KK play closer to goal again?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement