Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

GT89 wrote: »
    I'd imagine it would apply to Dublin City bus services and the short hop zone
    Route 197 Swords to Ashbourne and Route 139 Blanch to Naas should be included. I really don’t think determining fare by operator is wise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Tomrota wrote: »
    Route 197 Swords to Ashbourne and Route 139 Blanch to Naas should be included. I really don’t think determining fare by operator is wise.

They're not considered city routes though nothing to do with the operator

They're not considered city routes though nothing to do with the operator
    184 isn’t a city route either but it’s run by dublin bus (running 40km from the city) so it will be included in the fare. Clearly determined by operator. That’s why I’m asking how many km radius the fare should be applied to.

It would be ridiculous to not include those routes i mentioned in the single fare system.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

184 isn’t a city route either but it’s run by dublin bus (running 40km from the city) so it will be included in the fare. Clearly determined by operator. That’s why I’m asking how many km radius the fare should be applied to.

GAI took over these orbital routes few years back.

Furthest dB goes is Newcastle in Wicklow 84/X
    Blessington etc etc....

It will basically be these and the dart line and Luas.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

It would be ridiculous to not include those routes i mentioned in the single fare system.

184 isn't operated by Dublin Bus anymore. It's operated by Go Ahead Ireland. Same as 197.

The truth is, we don't know which routes will be included.

• Advertisement

Peregrine wrote: »
    184 isn't operated by Dublin Bus anymore. It's operated by Go Ahead Ireland. Same as 197.

The truth is, we don't know which routes will be included.

The 184 is a Dublin city route like all ex DB GAI route plus the 175. The 197 is not a Dublin city route as it's under a separate contract than the rest of GAI routes. If your gonna include the 197 in a city fare then there could also be an argument to include the 103.

It will basically be these and the dart line and Luas.

Will probably include the commuter trains too. As far as Maynooth, Sallins and Balbriggan.

Will probably include the commuter trains too. As far as Maynooth, Sallins and Balbriggan.

Yes quite possible never thought of them

The 184 is a Dublin city route like all ex DB GAI route plus the 175. The 197 is not a Dublin city route as it's under a separate contract than the rest of GAI routes. If your gonna include the 197 in a city fare then there could also be an argument to include the 103.
    The 184 is an ex-DB route. It doesn’t enter county Dublin. What makes the 197 less of a Dublin City route than the 184 besides the fact it was run by DB? That’s what I wanna find the answer to, and that’s why I really think these routes should be included in the fare at the end of the day (if the NTA are serious about getting people out of their cars).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

The 184 is an ex-DB route. It doesn’t enter county Dublin. What makes the 197 less of a Dublin City route than the 184 besides the fact it was run by DB? That’s what I wanna find the answer to, and that’s why I really think these routes should be included in the fare at the end of the day (if the NTA are serious about getting people out of their cars).

what's happening to the 197 under BusConnects? The 184 is becoming 2 interlocking routes L1 and L2. I would have assumed that any BusConnects route will be included in the 90min fare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭plodder

Individual fares should be simple to understand and simple to use so as to encourage casual users off peak particularly. Why a 90 minute fare wouldn't mean 90 minutes of travel anywhere on the network escapes me ...

That's the NTA making those decisions not me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Finally we are in the late 20th century, breaking from the fare structure which originated in the Edwardian era

Just remember with the exception of capping, nothing more than a piece of paper with a date/time stamp is needed to make this all work...

Yeah, just imagine what it would have been like in the 90's had the thrusting visionaries of the NTA been in charge instead of the nasty old CIE monopoly insisting everybody threw coins at the overpaid driver.

Probably would have had things like these:

IMG-20210127-132450602.jpg

In case you are wondering what happened to these transfer 90 tickets; the NTA intentionally priced them above the cost of leap to kill them, didn't want some old fangled paper ticket to be better value than their shiny new smartcard.

Because they were better value for many people's regular journeys than Leap, I went through boxloads of them as well as day, weekly, monthly bus only, bus +rail, bus+rail+Bus Eireann tickets.

There was a comprehensive array of tickets available for those who didn't want to pay for every journey with coins and bothered to find out what (often considerably cheaper) alternatives there were.

Sure even the tourists would have the family tickets, travel90 or ramblers etc....

2eazy tickets were another as people would mainly use to go the full fare price on the lowest fare price, rambler tickets one would stick tape over where it printed the dates, use it for the specified Time/dates and remove, then they'd get an extra month or whatever it was for....
    Oh the face on them when a Driver would write the date on them and put a hole in the mag strip.....

There was so much you could do to not actually pay....

Now it's dodgy passes still....
    Child leap cards.....adults using.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Qrt

Why can't we keep Ireland Irish..... I don't like the we have to follow Europe rubbish.

Isn't it nice to have some retro, old, classic stuff.....

Look how phone boxes were all ripped out, now villages putting them back as show items.

I'm not saying keep rusty rubbish but I think we can keep our looks and we won't with all this we will just look like everywhere else.

Yes of course some stuff is good etc but just think money could be better spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Why can't we keep Ireland Irish..... I don't like the we have to follow Europe rubbish.

Isn't it nice to have some retro, old, classic stuff.....

Look how phone boxes were all ripped out, now villages putting them back as show items.

I'm not saying keep rusty rubbish but I think we can keep our looks and we won't with all this we will just look like everywhere else.

Yes of course some stuff is good etc but just think money could be better spent.

What, exactly, was “Irish” about the previous livery and branding? If anything this new green and yellow scheme recaptures the older Dublin Bus colour schemes.

MJohnston wrote: »
    What, exactly, was “Irish” about the previous livery and branding? If anything this new green and yellow scheme recaptures the older Dublin Bus colour schemes.

I'd actually love to see the old CIE symbol back but the db one does fit Dublin as it's a castle and db in the one....
    Green is good yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

MJohnston wrote: »

The two-tone green was about the only livery to have any justification in being considered Irish. It was nice when freshly painted and glossy, not so much after the bus washes had beaten the shine off it. Still some improvement over the appalling drab nastiness of the tan.

Personally I am not a huge fan of painting an entire fleet the same, it just becomes oppressively dull, particularly in high traffic locations.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    The two-tone green was about the only livery to have any justification in being considered Irish. It was nice when freshly painted and glossy, not so much after the bus washes had beaten the shine off it. Still some improvement over the appalling drab nastiness of the tan.

Personally I am not a huge fan of painting an entire fleet the same, it just becomes oppressively dull, particularly in high traffic locations.

Yes it's going to be extremely confusing to many especially now with db, be, GAI, other operators all the one colour, look at the complaints in against db and nothing to do with them....

The south coast tour buses were the best two tone green and metallic type in it too. They stayed shiny and would have looked good.

The db colour is in fact to show of the Dublin colours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Yes it's going to be extremely confusing to many especially now with db, be, GAI, other operators all the one colour, look at the complaints in against db and nothing to do with them....

People don't generally confuse what bus number they're boarding just because they're all in DB livery though.

AngryLips wrote: »
    People don't generally confuse what bus number they're boarding just because they're all in DB livery though.

Yes they do, happens quite often actually....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

AngryLips wrote: »

They shouldn't, but let's not underestimate just how thick a lot of people are, and how little attention they pay to their surroundings. There are a lot of people (regular passengers) who think TFI is a new private bus company, or that Go Ahead is called "Go Bus" or that Dublin Bus is still called "CIE".

.anon. wrote: »
    They shouldn't, but let's not underestimate just how thick a lot of people are, and how little attention they pay to their surroundings. There are a lot of people (regular passengers) who think TFI is a new private bus company, or that Go Ahead is called "Go Bus" or that Dublin Bus is still called "CIE".

I dont think people should really know who Go-Ahead are outside of employees of the company. Most people in London don't even know who operates what route as far as they're concerned it's all TFL. As they are in charge of passenger information and complaints. NTA want all the power but won't take responsibility for services under their remit and will lay the blame on the operator even if it's their fault.

About 20 years DB themselves wanted to put most of the current GAI routes to tender. This would have likely meant that we could've seen a private operator operate under the DB brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

Wait, the new bus signs will be green and yellow now? I thought they would be blue and white? They even erected a good few of them already. Make up their minds!

I wish they could've just kept the current Dublin Bus branding, it's actually quite nice. (And I know why they couldn't incase anyone answers)

Wait, the new bus signs will be green and yellow now? I thought they would be blue and white? They even erected a good few of them already. Make up their minds!

I wish they could've just kept the current Dublin Bus branding, it's actually quite nice. (And I know why they couldn't incase anyone answers)

Yes the display board or circle bus sign is now yellow and green....
    The blue and white will most likely be last to change

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

Yes the display board or circle bus sign is now yellow and green....
    The blue and white will most likely be last to change

Why didn't they just use that colour scheme from the start?! And they look terrible. Is there an actual design firm employed to create this branding or is it some sort of internal creation?

Why didn't they just use that colour scheme from the start?! And they look terrible. Is there an actual design firm employed to create this branding or is it some sort of internal creation?

Visibility is the reason. The blue was considered hard to see for people with poor eyesight I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Current DB livery is awful and looks outdated. I agree that yellow and green doesn't look good either. Best would have been few tones of Irish green or light blue with light fresh green. But... Most things in Ireland regarding design doesn't look good so, I guess, could have been worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Visibility is the reason. The blue was considered hard to see for people with poor eyesight I believe.

...while in other countries it's not a problem :) Just a lame excuse.

Advertisement