Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Nice to see red cow Luas becoming a busy local and intercity bus interchange with the 63, g1, 255 and 256 all serving it hopefully they go right up to the platform like the coaches do. Might get quite congested in there now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I suppose all will be tested and revealed ten years hence. Meanwhile....

Look, I know these changes will take some time to achieve but there appears to be a long lead in for this one. People will become jaded and won't care about it enough since it is not going to happen any time soon. And don't get me wrong, I understand the infrastructure etc. has to happen. But not everyone does.

Metro North might get there before this does!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Qrt

cgcsb wrote: »
    F1: Fortified Rd, Cypress Grove, Firhouse Road, Ballycullen Road, Old Bawn, Firhouse, Whitestown Way, Tallaght

Seems like we're heading back to the stagecoach model of bus routing. No way should a bus to Tallaght be taking meandering detours like that. Oh well, at least I use the Luas...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Spines:
    H Spine:
    Starts with a Talbot st/Abbey st loop, Amien St, Fairview, Howth Rd

H1: All Saints Rd, Raheny Station, Raheny Rd, Grange Rd down to the coast and then red arches rd to finish at Clongriffin station
    H2 and H3 continue on Howth Road with H3 serving Howth Summit. H2 diverts by the coast road and up to Malahide.

So this equates to:

H1 == 29a
    H2 == 32
    H3 == 31

Original BusConnects had a Route 40 instead of H spine covering the 29a + 102 routes (Abbey St to Dublin Airport via Portmarnock/Malahide). Does the revision make any mention of the 102 equivalent?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

When is general release for these revisions?

• Advertisement

When is general release for these revisions?

September afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I am expressing some concern here that the demand being generated for these new granny buses could be very minimal. I recall some years ago that Dublin Bus had run a short bus route called the 221. It was a route that went from Ballymun out toward Shangan Rd. The last time it ran it's service was in May 2012 which was over 7 years ago. The demand for it was realistically non-existent & a profound waste of taxpayer's money.

It was also known as the shortest operated route in Dublin Bus history.

Would these new granny buses being put forward become enhanced versions of what the 221 was like a few years ago or would they be planned to be run the like the NTA's local route network in rural Ireland called Localink? There was some talk here a few months ago that the 44b could be replaced with a Localink type service instead of being run with Dublin Bus. Would these new plans actually mirror this scenario in these proposals?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Spines:
    A northside;
    A4 will start in swords in the same place as now but will then take a more direct route via what was to be the 262 route. It bypasses the airport and joins the spine at Whitehall. The A1 finishes at Beaumont hospital via Lorcan ave instead of continuing to Clongriffin. The A2 is the same. The A3 continues past DCU and turns onto shanlissroad and terminates at shanowen road

A southside;
    The same more less except A2 and A3 are switched and A4 continues all the way to Nutgrove SC

All A buses will take O'Connell st, College Green and George's st in the city centre

B:
    B1 and B2 are the same. The new B3 starts at Dun Laoghaire stn and continues via rock road and joins the B spine at St Vincints. On the north side It leaves Blanch SC and serves Tyrellstown via castlecurragh heath and church rd. The B4 starts in Sallynoggin and joins the B3 at Monkstown rd. It's unclear where the B4 ends, perhaps a drafting error.

C spine:
    C4 will take a straighter route past Weston aerodrome and both C1 and C2 will continue to terminate at st John's near Sydney parade. All of the c branches appear to be now at a lower mid day frequency

D Spine South:

So the D3 went into Clondalkin via Watery rd and turned North onto 9th lock road and then Bawnogue. The new D3 will enter Clondalkin by Watery Road and continue south, then turn north onto Fonthill road and onto Bawnogue and terminate at St Cuthbert's. The D1 will start at Grifeen Avenue, take in the Grange Castle road and serve Grangecastle business park, then the D1 will take New Nangor Road and bypass clondalkin village and join up with D3 at Watery Rd/New Nangor and continue towards the city as the current D3 does. D2 is the same except it continues on Blessington Rd and serves Jobstown and Citywest Rd, terminating at Kingswood avenue. D4 will follow the D2 route to Tallaght and continue along Blessington road and loop around Killinarden heights and terminate at Kiltipper way. D5 follows D4 and D2 past the M50 then turns o serve Castletymon, Avonmore, Main st and terminates in Tallaght

D Spine North:

D3 is the same, D2 terminates on Clare Hall road shortly after turning off the Malahide Rd, D1 continues to the station via main street

D4 splits off at Ardlea Rd and serves Skelly's lane, Beaumont hospital and terminates at Coolock Lane

D5 splits of and serves McAuley Rd, HArmonstown Rd, Edenmore, Milbrook Rd and finishes at Blunden Drive in the same was as the previously planned 279. In this case they've basically added radial routes where a local feeder was panned.

E spine is the same except E1 starts at IKEA

F Spine North
    All F buses start at Charlestown
    The new F1 is the same as the F3 in the previous plan.
    The New F3 will go through the main street, across mellows road, cardiffsbridge road, st helana's rd and back to the main spine.
    The New F2 goes through Barry Rd, Mellows rd and then straight down Finglas road to the main F spine

F Spine South
    The Spine is longer before with all F buses staying the same as far as Kimmage Rd/Terenure Rd E
    F1: Fortified Rd, Cypress Grove, Firhouse Road, Ballycullen Road, Old Bawn, Firhouse, Whitestown Way, Tallaght
    F2: Whitehall Rd, Glendown Ave, Wellington Lane
    F3: Kimage, Cromwellsfort, St peter's Rd, St James Rd

G spine is the same but G1 continues, crosses the M50 and then turns south ant terminates at the red cow. In the City it turns onto wine tavern st and up the quays terminating at Spencer dock

H Spine:

H1: All Saints Rd, Raheny Station, Raheny Rd, Grange Rd down to the coast and then red arches rd to finish at Clongriffin station
    H2 and H3 continue on Howth Road with H3 serving Howth Summit. H2 diverts by the coast road and up to Malahide.

Orbitals:
    O and W4 remain the same as do all orbitals more/less except for the N6 which is completely gone in the new plan and the S7 which also gone, and a more frequent S6 is in place.

Other radials:

10 and 12 are mostly the same except in the Centre they go via Westland Row, Pears/Sandwith st, Gardener St and terminate at Parnell Square. There is also a new route, 11, which is the same as the 12 except it continues to Enniskerry. The 10 is also extended from Sandyford luas across Blackthorn rd, over the M50, Sandyford village, Blackglen rd and finishes at Ticknock Park. Route 232 is gone.

16 is the same except it starts at Parnell Square and takes O'Connell st, College Green and back to the same route. The 16 will be higher frequency, every 10 mins mid day.

14 Liffey Valley to Ballinteer is the same except from Churchtown rd upper it goes: Beaumont Ave, Barton rd, Nutgrove way, Brehon field Rd. The 14 is also up to 10 minutes freq at mid day.

15: will start at Mountjoy Sq, Gardiner St, Westland Row, Stephen's Green, Earlsfort terrace, Richmond, Rathmines, Kennilworth, Sundrive, Stannaway, St Agnes Park, Whitehall Rd west, Limekiln Rd, 20-25 mins

20 will go through College Green, O'Connell Bridge, The Quays and a loop around east wall road, east road and new wapping st. 20 will be joined by the new 22 from here out as far as the SSR. The 20 continues as present but diverts by St Agnes rd, cromwellsfort, Ballymount, over the M50, Kingswood luas, Sylvan Dr, Cookstown rd and finish in tallaght. The longline is gone and it's now all the same frequency. 22 splits form the 20 at SSR then goes: Herberton rd, keeper rd, Galtymore Rd, finishing at the Cooley Rd triangle

New 23 is the same as the previous 22 except it operates via mourne road, SSR, Thomas St, Parnell St and back to same route

*Annoyingly this leaves the Bolton st/King st area busless.

Instead of 7b and 7a the new routes will be 7 and 8, they'll start at Merrion Square and take: Pearse/Sandwith, College Green, Christchurch, Church St and on the same route as the previos 7b/a. The 7 will take the former a branch and terminate at Charlestown. The 8 will serve Charlestown and then serve St MArgaret's road, airport road and terminate at the airport. This gives the Finglas area a more direct airport link, which is welcome.

The 37/35 will be replaced by the 34/35, both at higher frequency. At the Blanch end the 34 will be the same as the previous 37, the 35 will turn right off main street ant serve Waterville, corduff and Blackcourt before terminating at the shopping centre. On the southern end, both routes go past Parnell square and serve: O'Connell, Kildare st, Stephen's Green, Leeson St, Burlington Rd.

Route 36 will be the same except it bypasses Broombridge station and uses Ratoath road. In the city centre it will use O'Connell, Pearse, Merrion Sq, Mount St, Northumberland rd and finish in Ballsbridge.

Route 60 is gone

Route 64 remains the same.

63 is replaced by the 93 at the same frequency. The route remains the same except it continues to serve Rathcool and the higher frequency 242 is scrapped, giving Rathcoole lower frequency but a direct bus to the centre. Closer to town it takes South Circular road, Conningham road and the quays and finishes in the port

Completely New Radials:

82, Glen Ellen Road, Swords Main street and then same as the A4 until it turns onto Gardiner St, Pearse/Sandwith, Westland Row and finish at Merrion Sq

97, new low frequency granny route to compliment the 34/35/36, it'll start in Parnell Sq and follow the 34/35 and turn off new cabra road, do a loop around Carnlough Rd, nephin rd, navan rd and finish in Ashington park

94, New Lw frequency granny route to compliment the E spine. Starting at Ikea, it takes Ballbutcher lane south to the Ballymun rd then down the ballymun rd, quick detour onto Collins ave, dellville rd, st canices rd and back onto the Ballymun rd, Home farm rd, Drumcondra, and a finish in Parnell sq,

96, brace yourselves for this one: Beaumont hosp, Kilbarron ln, Kilmore rd, Skellys lane, Beaumont rd, Collins ave, Killester, Blackheath park, castle ave, fairview, amien st, Abbey/Talbot st finish.

95, exactly the same as the G spine until it gets to Ballyfermot, then it takes Decies Rd, Kylemore rd, goes north of Ballyfermot rd briefly and then serves Clifton rd and Cherry orchard, not sure why this isn't just given a G number for simplicity.

I'll update further later

More additions added

More additions added

I’m seeing “College Green” a lot more than I should be.

Qrt wrote: »
    I’m seeing “College Green” a lot more than I should be.

The A spine, 16, 14 and 23 will be moving east-west through college green, which is a reduction compared to current bus movements.

No provision has been made to make parliament st 2 way and the design for the liffey cycle route seems to actually make that not possible by design.

• Advertisement

Over all there is too much An-Larism, 3 spines and 2 high frequency routes on O'Connell Street and 4 spines and 2 routes on the quays in the city centre, and then large amounts of the city centre with no service. Capel st, Grattan bridge remain bus-free.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭jd

Over all there is too much An-Larism, 3 spines and 2 high frequency routes on O'Connell Street and 4 spines and 2 routes on the quays in the city centre, and then large amounts of the city centre with no service. Capel st, Grattan bridge remain bus-free.

Did Jarret Walker do this iteration of the redesign?

jd wrote: »
    Did Jarret Walker do this iteration of the redesign?

yes

The City Centre will probably always be the biggest destination for people so I think a lot of it is valid. Personally, I think it’ll lead to an added urge to restrict private traffic within the canals, and especially on the quays.

The City Centre will probably always be the biggest destination for people so I think a lot of it is valid. Personally, I think it’ll lead to an added urge to restrict private traffic within the canals, and especially on the quays.

I just think there's a lot more to the City Centre than College Green and O'Connell Street and lots of areas in the city centre with no bus service at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Why do they not implement the 90 min Leap ticket now, as that will encourage passengers to change buses more, and give better value to Leap card users.

The other aspect that would help Busconnects - even before it starts - is if DCC starts removing on street parking by reducing it gradually piece by piece. There are plenty of places where there are a few extra places where there should not be, say too close to a junction, or on both sides of a street where one side only may be more appropriate.

Every move that encourages modal shift to PT is important - even if those moves may appear small.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

If they had any sense whatsoever they would do that and introduce the 90 minute "free" travel system now and get people used to the idea of switching bus but as with the whole bus connects plan, right idea, absolutely god awful execution.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭elmoslats

When the first network proposals were published, Dublin city council had an application being reviewed by An Bord Pleanala to pedestrianise college green. That is why the NTA designed the network without east/west through college green.

Currently there is no application pending, although Dublin City Council are still planning to pedestrianise college green.

It shouldn't be surprising to anyone that the next proposals will use college green east/west. There are no current official plans to change the setup of college green. I don't think this says anything about the future of college green (the plaza was never an NTA project). If the plaza was to go ahead, the NTA would obviously re route the buses.

elmoslats wrote: »
    If the plaza was to go ahead, the NTA would obviously re route the buses.

Can you imagine the calls Joe would get?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Evil_g

F Spine South
    The Spine is longer before with all F buses staying the same as far as Kimmage Rd/Terenure Rd E

Any word on whether this is correct? The F3 should turn off at Kimmage Rd. / Sundrive Rd.

Terenure Rd. E is in Rathgar. Terenure Rd. W is the KCR.

• Advertisement

Evil_g wrote: »
    Any word on whether this is correct? The F3 should turn off at Kimmage Rd. / Sundrive Rd.

I’m guessing it’s Terenure Road West, so assuming it’s staying on the spine until the KCR. I think there’s another route serving Sundrive Road?

Side question; any idea it the 240 is still planned? Or the 16’s Tallaght/Old Court/Ballycullen Connection?

Yes, it's W, not E.

Yes, it's W, not E.

So you're saying the F3 will no longer go down Sundrive Rd and Stannaway Rd?

That seems very strange.

I’m guessing it’s Terenure Road West, so assuming it’s staying on the spine until the KCR. I think there’s another route serving Sundrive Road?

Side question; any idea it the 240 is still planned? Or the 16’s Tallaght/Old Court/Ballycullen Connection?

15 will serve sundrive.

240 is gone. Lots of the local buses are gone with more direct radials instead

15 will serve sundrive.

In the original plans the F3 replaced the current 83, turning onto Sundrive, then running down Stannaway to Cromwellsfort.

I'd be very surprised if the F3 now runs to KCR then turns towards Cromwellsfort.

It would take the same amount of time, and leave Stannaway unserved.

[Edit] Here's the relevant location from the original plans. I don't see how making the F3 follow the F1 and F2 and then the S4 would improve things for anyone.

29o6gp1.png

15 will serve sundrive.

What local buses remain?

What local buses remain?

Lots of them, will update with the main post

In the original plans the F3 replaced the current 83, turning onto Sundrive, then running down Stannaway to Cromwellsfort.

I'd be very surprised if the F3 now runs to KCR then turns towards Cromwellsfort.

It would take the same amount of time, and leave Stannaway unserved.

[Edit] Here's the relevant location from the original plans. I don't see how making the F3 follow the F1 and F2 and then the S4 would improve things for anyone.

29o6gp1.png

The chord between the F spine and the S4 would be served by the 15 at lower frequency.

Spines:
    A northside;
    A4 will start in swords in the same place as now but will then take a more direct route via what was to be the 262 route. It bypasses the airport and joins the spine at Whitehall. The A1 finishes at Beaumont hospital via Lorcan ave instead of continuing to Clongriffin. The A2 is the same. The A3 continues past DCU and turns onto shanlissroad and terminates at shanowen road

A southside;
    The same more less except A2 and A3 are switched and A4 continues all the way to Nutgrove SC

All A buses will take O'Connell st, College Green and George's st in the city centre

B:
    B1 and B2 are the same. The new B3 starts at Dun Laoghaire stn and continues via rock road and joins the B spine at St Vincints. On the north side It leaves Blanch SC and serves Tyrellstown via castlecurragh heath and church rd. The B4 starts in Sallynoggin and joins the B3 at Monkstown rd. It's unclear where the B4 ends, perhaps a drafting error.

C spine:
    C4 will take a straighter route past Weston aerodrome and both C1 and C2 will continue to terminate at st John's near Sydney parade. All of the c branches appear to be now at a lower mid day frequency

D Spine South:

So the D3 went into Clondalkin via Watery rd and turned North onto 9th lock road and then Bawnogue. The new D3 will enter Clondalkin by Watery Road and continue south, then turn north onto Fonthill road and onto Bawnogue and terminate at St Cuthbert's. The D1 will start at Grifeen Avenue, take in the Grange Castle road and serve Grangecastle business park, then the D1 will take New Nangor Road and bypass clondalkin village and join up with D3 at Watery Rd/New Nangor and continue towards the city as the current D3 does. D2 is the same except it continues on Blessington Rd and serves Jobstown and Citywest Rd, terminating at Kingswood avenue. D4 will follow the D2 route to Tallaght and continue along Blessington road and loop around Killinarden heights and terminate at Kiltipper way. D5 follows D4 and D2 past the M50 then turns o serve Castletymon, Avonmore, Main st and terminates in Tallaght

D Spine North:

D3 is the same, D2 terminates on Clare Hall road shortly after turning off the Malahide Rd, D1 continues to the station via main street

D4 splits off at Ardlea Rd and serves Skelly's lane, Beaumont hospital and terminates at Coolock Lane

D5 splits of and serves McAuley Rd, HArmonstown Rd, Edenmore, Milbrook Rd and finishes at Blunden Drive in the same was as the previously planned 279. In this case they've basically added radial routes where a local feeder was panned.

E spine is the same except E1 starts at IKEA

F Spine North
    All F buses start at Charlestown
    The new F1 is the same as the F3 in the previous plan.
    The New F3 will go through the main street, across mellows road, cardiffsbridge road, st helana's rd and back to the main spine.
    The New F2 goes through Barry Rd, Mellows rd and then straight down Finglas road to the main F spine

F Spine South
    The Spine is longer before with all F buses staying the same as far as Kimmage Rd/Terenure Rd W

G spine is the same but G1 continues, crosses the M50 and then turns south ant terminates at the red cow. In the City it turns onto wine tavern st and up the quays terminating at Spencer dock

H Spine:

Orbitals:
    O and W4 remain the same as do all orbitals more/less except for the N6 which is completely gone in the new plan and the S7 which also gone, and a more frequent S6 is in place.

Other radials:

10 and 12 are mostly the same except in the Centre they go via Westland Row, Pears/Sandwith st, Gardener St and terminate at Parnell Square. There is also a new route, 11, which is the same as the 12 except it continues to Enniskerry. The 10 is also extended from Sandyford luas across Blackthorn rd, over the M50, Sandyford village, Blackglen rd and finishes at Ticknock Park. Route 232 is gone.

16 is the same except it starts at Parnell Square and takes O'Connell st, College Green and back to the same route. The 16 will be higher frequency, every 10 mins mid day.

14 Liffey Valley to Ballinteer is the same except from Churchtown rd upper it goes: Beaumont Ave, Barton rd, Nutgrove way, Brehon field Rd. The 14 is also up to 10 minutes freq at mid day.

15: will start at Mountjoy Sq, Gardiner St, Westland Row, Stephen's Green, Earlsfort terrace, Richmond, Rathmines, Kennilworth, Sundrive, Stannaway, St Agnes Park, Whitehall Rd west, Limekiln Rd, 20-25 mins

20 will go through College Green, O'Connell Bridge, The Quays and a loop around east wall road, east road and new wapping st. 20 will be joined by the new 22 from here out as far as the SSR. The 20 continues as present but diverts by St Agnes rd, cromwellsfort, Ballymount, over the M50, Kingswood luas, Sylvan Dr, Cookstown rd and finish in tallaght. The longline is gone and it's now all the same frequency. 22 splits form the 20 at SSR then goes: Herberton rd, keeper rd, Galtymore Rd, finishing at the Cooley Rd triangle

New 23 is the same as the previous 22 except it operates via mourne road, SSR, Thomas St, College Green, O'Connell St, Parnell St and back to same route

*Annoyingly this leaves the Bolton st/King st area busless.

Instead of 7b and 7a the new routes will be 7 and 8, they'll start at Merrion Square and take: Pearse/Sandwith, College Green, Christchurch, Church St and on the same route as the previos 7b/a. The 7 will take the former a branch and terminate at Charlestown. The 8 will serve Charlestown and then serve St MArgaret's road, airport road and terminate at the airport. This gives the Finglas area a more direct airport link, which is welcome.

The 37/35 will be replaced by the 34/35, both at higher frequency. At the Blanch end the 34 will be the same as the previous 37, the 35 will turn right off main street ant serve Waterville, corduff and Blackcourt before terminating at the shopping centre. On the southern end, both routes go past Parnell square and serve: O'Connell, Kildare st, Stephen's Green, Leeson St, Burlington Rd.

Route 36 will be the same except it bypasses Broombridge station and uses Ratoath road. In the city centre it will use O'Connell, Pearse, Merrion Sq, Mount St, Northumberland rd and finish in Ballsbridge.

Route 60 is gone

Route 64 remains the same.

63 is replaced by the 93 at the same frequency. The route remains the same except it continues to serve Rathcool and the higher frequency 242 is scrapped, giving Rathcoole lower frequency but a direct bus to the centre. Closer to town it takes South Circular road, Conningham road and the quays and finishes in the port

Completely New Radials:

82, Glen Ellen Road, Swords Main street and then same as the A4 until it turns onto Gardiner St, Pearse/Sandwith, Westland Row and finish at Merrion Sq

97, new low frequency granny route to compliment the 34/35/36, it'll start in Parnell Sq and follow the 34/35 and turn off new cabra road, do a loop around Carnlough Rd, nephin rd, navan rd and finish in Ashington park

94, New Lw frequency granny route to compliment the E spine. Starting at Ikea, it takes Ballbutcher lane south to the Ballymun rd then down the ballymun rd, quick detour onto Collins ave, dellville rd, st canices rd and back onto the Ballymun rd, Home farm rd, Drumcondra, and a finish in Parnell sq,

96, brace yourselves for this one: Beaumont hosp, Kilbarron ln, Kilmore rd, Skellys lane, Beaumont rd, Collins ave, Killester, Blackheath park, castle ave, fairview, amien st, Abbey/Talbot st finish.

95, exactly the same as the G spine until it gets to Ballyfermot, then it takes Decies Rd, Kylemore rd, goes north of Ballyfermot rd briefly and then serves Clifton rd and Cherry orchard, not sure why this isn't just given a G number for simplicity.

98 Starts at Mountjoy Square; Gardiner st, Pearse/Sandwith, Merrion SQ, Mount St, Northumberland, Rock Rd, Glenegeary Rd, Sallynoggin Rd, Rochestown ave, Churchview Rd, Loughlinstown dr,

213 is basically replacing the current 47 but terminating in Ringsend.

I'll update further later

That's all the radials and orbitals done.

• Advertisement

The chord between the F spine and the S4 would be served by the 15 at lower frequency.

Thanks.

So it looks like the 10-15 min F3 service from Stannaway directly to town and all orbitals has been scrapped...and the current 83 is being replaced by the 15 which still goes half way around the world to get into town, but just runs less frequently.

Wonderful.

I quite liked the original plan, but after a period of public consultation they've been prevailed upon to make the current service worse.

Hopefully this is just a plan to get the infrastructure in place, then kill the granny busses one at a time.

Advertisement