Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barber Refused to Cut My Hair!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Suckit wrote: »
    ****ty boards cloudflare kicked me again. Too often.

Long story short, @sleeper12, get a grip.

This type of posting is not appreciated here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I had written more, but cloudflare stopped it.

Get a grip is not offensive in any way. If you find it to be, so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,940 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Suckit wrote:

Look. Op asked if he or the barber was out of line. Being in the business for almost 30 years I'm telling what it is like from the barbers point of view. Like it or not I'm reporting the truth.
    Here's another Pepsi challenge. Put your product in your hair. Spray it with magic water and ask your loved one to run her/his fingers through your hair for 10 to 20 minutes. Ask them how it feels. If they love it I'll happily say I'm wrong. If they find it offensive maybe you can report back here

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I had written more, but cloudflare stopped it.

Deal with the post not the poster. Further posts of that (lack of) quality are not to occur, Cloudflare or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

As a rule I always wash my hair before going to the barbers, but the odd time I'll be doing the town and notice that there's no-one in and I'll run in with a bit of gel in the hair. I'd always apologise to him before he starts and it's never been a problem.

Not really a consumer issue, but the OP wasn't really giving out anyway or looking for some payout. He was just asking was this normal practice. I would say in a lot of years of going to barbers that it certainly isn't.

• Advertisement

@Sleeper12, i get what you are saying, but you are not comparing like for like.
    A barber is not the same as dentist or a mechanic. I understand that a barber would not want to deal with manky hair, but i do not believe that the OP was that.
    Maybe a bit tough, so should have been asked would he mind sticking his head under the tap. You get my point.
    To turn away a customer is ludicrous. Especially in a business where they are popping up all over the place and can be done at home.
    Yes, dentistry and mechanical work can also be done at home, but it is less likely in Ireland.

Jayop just said it better.

it is not normal practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Sorry but just no.
    Dentist : brush your teeth.
    Physical with doctor : have a shower etc. Why go to the barbers without Washing your hair? Doesn't make sense to me

If I wash my hair every morning in the shower, pop a dab of gel in, and find myself in a barbers at some stage during the day, are you saying you equate that with turning up for a physical without washing or to the dentists without brushing my teeth? Honestly?

No barber has ever said anything to me.

Suckit wrote:
    @Sleeper12, i get what you are saying, but you are not comparing like for like. A barber is not the same as dentist or a mechanic. I understand that a barber would not want to deal with manky hair, but i do not believe that the OP was that. Maybe a bit tough, so should have been asked would he mind sticking his head under the tap. You get my point. To turn away a customer is ludicrous. Especially in a business where they are popping up all over the place and can be done at home. Yes, dentistry and mechanical work can also be done at home, but it is less likely in Ireland.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. Just showing the other side. Some gel goes hard as rock and it's not suitable for cutting at all. Some gel is little more than moose and not a problem. Some people would say my hair was clean and others would think not.
    I can't say what the situation was with Op one way or another. I'm only putting forward the other point of view. I've seen men asked would you liked it washed only to answer"oh it's too dirty, I wouldn't let you wash it" yet they want a dry cut. This in itself is very insulting.
    I'm not saying that everyone should have spotless hair going to the barber. Lots of guy's don't plan it. At this time of year on a Friday evening you'll have lots of tradesman ripe with B O getting their hair cut. But these guys may have showerd that morning. These we'd welcome. The guy that hasn't washed in day's are totally different.
    Again I'm just showing that there's another side to this. Barbers talk. They talk to each other about their clients.
    I'm just amazed at the amount of posters that refuse to see the barbers side.

Suckit wrote:
    @Sleeper12, i get what you are saying, but you are not comparing like for like. A barber is not the same as dentist or a mechanic. I understand that a barber would not want to deal with manky hair, but i do not believe that the OP was that. Maybe a bit tough, so should have been asked would he mind sticking his head under the tap. You get my point. To turn away a customer is ludicrous. Especially in a business where they are popping up all over the place and can be done at home. Yes, dentistry and mechanical work can also be done at home, but it is less likely in Ireland.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. Just showing the other side. Some gel goes hard as rock and it's not suitable for cutting at all. Some gel is little more than moose and not a problem. Some people would say my hair was clean and others would think not.
    I can't say what the situation was with Op one way or another. I'm only putting forward the other point of view. I've seen men asked would you liked it washed only to answer"oh it's too dirty, I wouldn't let you wash it" yet they want a dry cut. This in itself is very insulting.
    I'm not saying that everyone should have spotless hair going to the barber. Lots of guy's don't plan it. At this time of year on a Friday evening you'll have lots of tradesman ripe with B O getting their hair cut. But these guys may have showerd that morning. These we'd welcome. The guy that hasn't washed in day's are totally different.
    Again I'm just showing that there's another side to this. Barbers talk. They talk to each other about their clients.
    I'm just amazed at the amount of posters that refuse to see the barbers side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

So, to summarise all the above. The OP has no consumer issue.

• Advertisement

JayRoc wrote:
    If I wash my hair every morning in the shower, pop a dab of gel in, and find myself in a barbers at some stage during the day, are you saying you equate that with turning up for a physical without washing or to the dentists without brushing my teeth? Honestly?

No. I'm saying some gel or products are harder than others. Some you can work around and some you can't. I've no idea about OPs hair product but just pointing out that some you can't cut hair with it in.

Nah sleeper, I get what you're saying and I do appreciate that you shouldn't have to cut someone's hair if it was stinking. From what the OP says it doesn't sound like that was the case and in my experience a barber will cut your hair if you have a bit of gel in it, but as a courtesy to the barber I try not to let that happen too much.

Jayop wrote:
    Nah sleeper, I get what you're saying and I do appreciate that you shouldn't have to cut someone's hair if it was stinking. From what the OP says it doesn't sound like that was the case and in my experience a barber will cut your hair if you have a bit of gel in it, but as a courtesy to the barber I try not to let that happen too much.

As a courtesy to the barber a small tip is always appreciated. They don't get big wages.
    :)

As a courtesy to the barber a small tip is always appreciated. They don't get big wages.
    :)

My fella works for himself :)

Funny if the price was an odd number I'd tip, but it's a tenner and it's just pure handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

When you consider that barbers cut hair with gel in it many times every day, and assuming they get paid for every cut they do, you would have to ask yourself, how bad would a person's head have to be for them to refuse a cut? I'd say it would have to be pretty bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Consumer "with" issues. He's totally correct. People these days can be so ignorant. Attending doctor appts and talking on the phone after being called in. eating food in waiting areas. I could go on. Glad he called you out on it and hopefully you won't be so ignorant in future

Listen to Mr Sanctimonious here.:rolleyes: Why don't you try treating people with a bit of respect and dignity.You never know you might get to like it.;)

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

OP what brand of gel was it.

Was it that new brillcream that comes of easy or the red tin of dax kinda stuff, Jesus it would keep you stuck to the ceiling impossible to get off

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - we're getting quite a bit away from the original consumer issue. While a bit of chat is good, I think it's time to pull this thread back on topic.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I'll say this one last time. Would you go to the dentist without brushing your teeth? Chiropodist without washing your feet first? Doctor for a physical without washing? What is wrong with paying your barber the same respect. Doctor, dentist and chiropodist all wear gloves before touching you.
    That was meant to be one last time!

Your analogy is poor, and you go on to show why its poor yourself -by saying the doctor/dentist/chiropodist wear gloves. The barbers do not wear gloves because its not a big deal. Sure they will be putting gel into peoples hair themselves later. A closer analogy would be a woman going into a beautician to get makeup done, while already wearing some makeup which may first have to be cleaned off. And just like many men might go into a barbers with product in their hair I expect many women do pop into a beauticians already wearing makeup. Now of course it would be stupid to have put in loads of gel, or caked on makeup beforehand, but even if its not spur of the moment, and they had appointments I bet some would not leave the house without at least some makeup.

If any amount of gel is going to destroy the expensive scissors then they should be washing everyones hair, at least those with the slightest suggestion of gel.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote:
    Your analogy is poor, and you go on to show why its poor yourself -by saying the doctor/dentist/chiropodist wear gloves. The barbers do not wear gloves because its not a big deal. Sure they will be putting gel into peoples hair themselves later. A closer analogy would be a woman going into a beautician to get makeup done, while already wearing some makeup which may first have to be cleaned off. And just like many men might go into a barbers with product in their hair I expect many women do pop into a beauticians already wearing makeup. Now of course it would be stupid to have put in loads of gel, or caked on makeup beforehand, but even if its not spur of the moment, and they had appointments I bet some would not leave the house without at least some makeup.

You've missed the hole point I was making. Barbers can't wear gloves. They would cut them within seconds with the scissors. Apart from the hygiene aspects the bigger issue for the barber is the gel damaging a very expensive piece of equipment. A go pair of scissors costs hundreds. Gel dulls the blade & good scissors can't be resharpend.
    It's a call that's down to the individual barber. His boss will go with his judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You've missed the hole point I was making. Barbers can't wear gloves. They would cut them within seconds with the scissors. Apart from the hygiene aspects the bigger issue for the barber is the gel damaging a very expensive piece of equipment. A go pair of scissors costs hundreds.
    I don't think I missed it. As I said maybe they should be washing all hair as standard, if it really is so damaging to their equipment.
    If you go to a chiropodist you wash your feet before you go. I'd always shower before seeing the doctor if I was expecting an examination. I'd also brush my teeth and use mouth wash before I visit the dentist.
    Does the barber not deserve the same type of respect?
    No, he simply does not. You are deliberately picking gross out analogies as though it is just as disrespectful, and perhaps you really think it is, but I can assure you nobody else here would (I welcome anyone who does think it is to say so). If there was some candid camera "dare" show they would have to pay people a lot more to go in caked in grime to their regular doctor than loads of gel to their regular barber.

People would not think it is grossing out the barber, and most would be unware of this potential damage to his hugely expensive scissors.

rubadub wrote:
    No, he simply does not. You are deliberately picking gross out analogies as though it is just as disrespectful, and perhaps you really think it is, but I can assure you nobody else here would (I welcome anyone who does think it is to say so). If there was some candid camera "dare" show they would have to pay people a lot more to go in caked in grime to their regular doctor than loads of gel to their regular barber.

Take the Pepsi challenge.

Put gel in your hair and let it go hard. Then spray it with water and ask your other half to run their fingers through it. See what they have to say about it.
    Most barbers would rather examine someone's feet even without gloves

Hairdressers are one of the very few people that actually touch someone else without gloves. They catch colds, flu's and bugs more regularly than almost any other trade Inc child minders in the crèche.

You can't cut someone's hair properly with gel. It does damage the scissors. You'll always get a better haircut if it's washed first. This is in an ideal world. Obviously in the real world we fudge things so we cut hair with product knowing you can do a better job without the product and clean hair. All gels are different. Some you barely notice others are like a glue.

I'm amazed that people didn't know that it takes 4 years to qualify. The apprenticeship used to be 7 years about 50 or 60 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

You can't cut someone's hair properly with gel.

You seem to be set on this (no pun intended), so no point debating it anymore. That aside, can you not see the point me and others are making - telling the customer his gel makes things difficult and that it needs a wash is the way it should have been handled, rather than refusing to serve him? Washing hair is part of the service they provide - why not suggest it, engage with the customer rather than refusing to serve him?

OP, there's a difference of opinion on whether this was bad practise, but all seem to agree it's not a consumer issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Who goes to get a hair cut and puts gel in their hair beforehand?

People who have jobs and need to put gel in to make sure they don't look a state until lunchtime when they pop out to get a haircut.

Originally Posted by Sleeper12 viewpost.gif
    You can't cut someone's hair properly with gel.
    You seem to be set on this (no pun intended), so no point debating it anymore.

OP, there's a difference of opinion on whether this was bad practise, but all seem to agree it's not a consumer issue.

I am set on this because it's a fact. Even a dry cut is a fudge. You'll always get a better haircut if the hair is washed first. Either in the barber shop or at home right before the barber shop visit. The further in time you go away from this ideal setup and the more the quality suffers. Most ladies salons wont cut dry hair at all, even on very short hair. They are more into the quality.
    Who goes to get a hair cut and puts gel in their hair beforehand?

This has 142 likes & I think this speaks volumes. 3 reasons: Pay your barber a little respect. it damages his scissors & you'll get a better quality haircut
    That aside, can you not see the point me and others are making - telling the customer his gel makes things difficult and that it needs a wash is the way it should have been handled, rather than refusing to serve him? Washing hair is part of the service they provide - why not suggest it, engage with the customer rather than refusing to serve him?

The fact that there was no mention of washing his hair by either side would suggest there was no basin. OP didn't see a basin.

I totally agree it's not a consumer issue. It's the type of issue where the client votes with their feet IMO

My opinions have been deleted.
    Not sure i would consider this as a forum. One side being shared, another being deleted.

Your personal attacks were deleted. Have a day off to consider your posting style and tone, and acquaint yourself with boards.ie rules

copeyhagen wrote: »
    that's bs mate, as I pointed out, I have NEVER gotten my hair cut without product in it, whether its American crew fibre, or cheap work day product. the few squirts of water have never done anything apart from remove the effect of the hair gel, for the cut to proceed as normal.

and that's in barbers ranging from expensive to cheap, never an issue.

See it's not BS. Maybe from your point of view sitting in the chair but it's still sticky & it still damages the scissors.

I'm just amazed at the amount of people who think it's ok to get a hair cut with produced in their hair. I wonder does anyone even say sorry about the product I didn't plan this haircut to the barber?

It just shows what you really think of the barber:(

BS BS BS.

My barber is an awful lot more professional going by your posts and the OPs experience. I did not post the quote you referred to, but if that happened to me, i would walk out with my head held high, and would recommend that the other customers in there did not stay. (Unless it was under  €5, which may explain their cheap ass tools).

That said, the OPs barber could always have asked him if he would like a wash. For whatever reason, without being offensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement