Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barber Refused to Cut My Hair!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Seems like a bit of a racket. Regardless, did the 4 years include customer courtesy and awareness?

Seems like a stupid thing to do, to refuse customers and by default possibly many of their friends/relatives.

If i was to admit owning any business, the first and foremost priority would be the customer. Especially when it came to a business that people could easily realise that the home/free option is easily done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Suckit wrote: »
    Seems like a bit of a racket. Regardless, did the 4 years include customer courtesy and awareness?

Seems like a stupid thing to do, to refuse customers and by default possibly many of their friends/relatives.

There is an awful lot of supposition here. None of us know what the exact conversation was, what facilities the barber has, what the OP's hair was like etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Try going into a 5 euro barber shop and ask for a flat top. They won't know what you are talking about.[/quote]

That's because it's not the 80's any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Are you bald OP ?

There is an awful lot of supposition here. None of us know what the exact conversation was, what facilities the barber has, what the OP's hair was like etc.

Okay, assuming that the OP is not homeless or filthy, and it was just a bit of gel, the barber should have offered an option, rather than refusing to cut it. (If they worked for me i would have put them on a warning)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

lawred2 wrote:
    The stuff about the labour court just reeks of a protected industry. Presume that that is no longer the case?

It was labour court 10 years ago but it might have changed. Labour court was to protect the apprentice. There are proper exams. I know at one stage FAS wanted to have them 6 months of the year.
    It's all smoke and mirrors now. You won't see a real cut throat (straight) razor or leather strap in a 5 euro barbers. They use safety blades in fake straight razors. Most are unable to use a sissors correctly. They can't cut hair with it around the hairline. You'll see them do it all with the electric razor.

idnkph wrote:
    That's because it's not the 80's any more.

It's a 50s hair style but you have to know them all

Suckit wrote:

I'll say this one last time. Would you go to the dentist without brushing your teeth? Chiropodist without washing your feet first? Doctor for a physical without washing? What is wrong with paying your barber the same respect. Doctor, dentist and chiropodist all wear gloves before touching you. Spare a a thought for the poor barber.
    It's not always possible to have clean hair when going to the barber but it'd be nice to try make the effort

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    OP clearly said just a cut.

Read ops comments. He clearly says that he does not even know if there was a basin on the premises. There is no point saying that the barber should have offended a wash and cut if there is no basin

A barber shop without a basin? Really? Seems very unlikely to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Q: "What can I do for you?
    A; "Just a cut"

What exactly do you think OP means "Just a cut"
    I've owned Barbers & Ladies salons North & south Dublin for 30 years. Look at price lists in your Barbers. There's a price for wash & cut and a price for a dry cut. Op was very clear he told the Barber just a cut. Barber told him he couldn't give him a dry cut with gel in his hair. OP then had the chance to ask for a wash & cut. He didn't.

Sorry but based on the description from the OP, that is nonsense

The converstion would have been "sorry mate can't dry cut with that gel in, need to wash it first" to which the OP likely would have said "no problem".

I get my haircut by a family member who is a hairdresser, and get it done after work when I've had product in my hair. Never had an issue.

Walk by barbers all the time and people so clearly have stuff in their hair.

Just a weird situation that either the OP or barber got confused or the barbers didn't have a sink. And what barbers doesn't have a bloody sink

• Advertisement

awec wrote:
    A barber shop without a basin? Really? Seems very unlikely to me.

Lots don't because they didn't learn how to blow dry in their 6 week course

A; "Just a cut"

What exactly do you think OP means "Just a cut"
    I've owned Barbers & Ladies salons North & south Dublin for 30 years. Look at price lists in your Barbers. There's a price for wash & cut and a price for a dry cut. Op was very clear he told the Barber just a cut. Barber told him he couldn't give him a dry cut with gel in his hair. OP then had the chance to ask for a wash & cut. He didn't.

Spraying water onto hair doesn't wash the gel away. Several posters seem to believe it does. It turns the gel into a sticky mess. Barbers are well used to guys calling in after work & their hair isn't the cleanest. It's not a big deal & it's part of the job. However it is the polite thing to do (if possible) to go to the barbers without product in your hair.
    Maybe some of the ladies could ask their Hairdresser their thoughts on it & report back.

I get my hair cut in a hairdressers rather than a barbers and every single time I go I have my hair with product in it as I go after work in the evening.

They have never even passed comment on it. They wash it before they cut it and they rinse it again after they cut it.

I get they don't want to cut the hair when it has product in it, but the correct thing to do is offer a wash. Refusing outright is just poor form, and if they genuinely don't have a basin it seems like a bit of a half-baked operation.

Lots don't because they didn't learn how to blow dry in their 6 week course

Don't learn how to blow dry? It's a barbers, people aren't going to get a perm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 171 ✭✭Gavinz

awec wrote: »

I'd assume lads with long hair would have it blow dried after a cut?

Gavinz wrote: »

Are lads with long hair likely to put product in it? I wouldn't have thought so but I stand to be corrected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 171 ✭✭Gavinz

awec wrote: »
    Are lads with long hair likely to put product in it? I wouldn't have thought so but I stand to be corrected.

No idea man, just throwing it out there.

They still wet the hair when cutting it...

I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,320 ✭✭✭✭noodler

And impromptu haircuts as well. I don't know a single person who does that.

Do you mean you don't know anyone who doesn't plan their haricuts in advance?

Alot of people will try and grab one on a lunch break on just after work if they can get off early enough.

TheDoc wrote:
    The converstion would have been "sorry mate can't dry cut with that gel in, need to wash it first" to which the OP likely would have said "no problem".

OP hasn't said that so not sure where you are coming from there.
    awec wrote:

Most men don't want to leave the barber shop with a wet head. Others want it styled. Not everyone just gets a short cut
    Gavinz wrote:

Most would. Again most won't want to go out with a wet head especially in winter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Spraying water onto hair doesn't wash the gel away. Several posters seem to believe it does. It turns the gel into a sticky mess. .

that's bs mate, as I pointed out, I have NEVER gotten my hair cut without product in it, whether its American crew fibre, or cheap work day product. the few squirts of water have never done anything apart from remove the effect of the hair gel, for the cut to proceed as normal.

and that's in barbers ranging from expensive to cheap, never an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,145 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Whether or not hair can or cannot be cut with product in it is more a topic for the Beauty forums.

I'm still not sure what the consumer issue is here - the barber gave a reason for not wanting to cut the hair and it certainly isn't one protected by equality legislation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

A; "Just a cut".

Rational person: "Theres so much gel in your hair, it'd need a wash before I cut it"
    Person who shouldn't be allowed to face customers: "I refuse to cut your hair".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

noodler wrote: »
    Do you mean you don't know anyone who doesn't plan their haricuts in advance?

Alot of people will try and grab one on a lunch break on just after work if they can get off early enough.

Ah yeah but I bet they considered it the night before and said to themselves that they'd go and get it cut. Generally, the options tend to be early in the morning before work, lunchtime or the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I have never woken up and gone "I'd better not put gel in my hair like I do every single day, just in case I happen to pass a barbers with a half hour to spare and decide to get my hair cut".

90% of my haircuts are unplanned. Call me a spontaneous maniac if you want.

Never had a problem with there being gel in my hair. A few squirts of water and bish bash bosh.

Rational person: "Theres so much gel in your hair, it'd need a wash before I cut it" Person who shouldn't be allowed to face customers: "I refuse to cut your hair".

Sorry but just no.
    Dentist : brush your teeth.
    Physical with doctor : have a shower etc. Why go to the barbers without Washing your hair? Doesn't make sense to me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I'd wear a little gel as well and would almost always wash it out before a haircut. But there's been a few times where I've gone after work or forgotten, and never been a problem. But then my hair is always short and never much gel in it.

I think the general consensus is right though - if you're going to ask other people to cut your hair it should be clean and so on.
    lollsangel wrote: »
    Boston barbers for one do

Not sure how these guys are still in business. Mediocre if not poor haircuts, arrogant staff and close nearly an hour before the advertised time. Not to mention the lack of any response to the complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Sorry but just no.
    Dentist : brush your teeth.
    Physical with doctor : have a shower etc. Why go to the barbers without Washing your hair? Doesn't make sense to me

Who says he didnt? I always get my hair cut either at lunch time or after work. I shower and wash my hair in the morning, put wax in my hair and go to work. When convenient I get my hair cut. Sometimes they wash it, sometimes they dont. If they ask me, I choose to get it washed at the end, to get all the loose hair out completely.

Im not for one minute suggesting someone should go in with dirty hair, but what you are suggesting involves placing much more importance on the process than the vast majority of people do in the real world. Do you think people who wear wax or gel in their hair go to work with fluffy hair all day in anticipation of an evening haircut?

Would you expect a mechanic to refuse to fix a dirty car?

Would you expect a mechanic to refuse to fix a dirty car?

Again your mechanic wears gloves. Doctor, dentists etc all wear gloves. Your barber can't wear gloves. I'm just suggesting that you show him/her a little respect. It's not a lot to ask.
    I'm not sure why this is in consumer issues at all tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Absolutely. I have seen cars being sent for a wash before a mechanic would touch it. No mechanic will work on a car that is caked in dirt.

And he still wears gloves. :)

• Advertisement

****ty boards cloudflare kicked me again. Too often.

Long story short, @sleeper12, get a grip.

Advertisement