Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barber Refused to Cut My Hair!

Options
  • 21-05-2017 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, I've never posted before but I'm looking for a little advice. I hope I've posted in the correct place. Today I went to a barbers that I've been to many times. I always wear gel in my hair. Not a massive amount but a little. I sat in the seat after waiting my turn and straight away, the barber said he couldn't cut my hair. I was taken aback and asked why. He told me that my hair was 'not clean of product' and would damage his tools. I was embarrassed as I was felt like anyone watching would think I was dirty or whatever. Is this the norm? I get a lot of hair cuts and never had this problem before, not even in the same place. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

We're you looking for a dry cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Had he no sink to give your hair a quick wash in?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I can see why he wouldn't cut your hair with the product in it, but surely he offered you to wash it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Littlestar13

Thanks for the replies. He didn't offer to wash the hair and I didn't think of looking for a sink. It was a fairly well established franchise though-I'd imagine they have sinks. He just refused point blank to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Thanks for the replies. He didn't offer to wash the hair and I didn't think of looking for a sink. It was a fairly well established franchise though-I'd imagine they have sinks. He just refused point blank to do it.

Any chance you had nits or some such ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Who goes to get a hair cut and puts gel in their hair beforehand?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

You should've washed the stuff out of your hair first if you wanted a dry cut. Otherwise he'd have to do it and charge you for it. Hair gel clogs up clippers and scissors so I don't blame him

Thanks, that's fair enough. I just was surprised since I've been for probably 250+ hair cuts in my time and this was the first time this ever happened. Was curious to see what other people's experience was. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Consumer "with" issues. He's totally correct. People these days can be so ignorant. Attending doctor appts and talking on the phone after being called in. eating food in waiting areas. I could go on. Glad he called you out on it and hopefully you won't be so ignorant in future

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    Any chance you had nits or some such ?

Don't worry, no nits. Cleared them out last week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Don't worry, no nits. Cleared them out last week

Their lifecycle is 10 days so do make sure you have reapplied a second time.

Consumer "with" issues. He's totally correct. People these days can be so ignorant. Attending doctor appts and talking on the phone after being called in. eating food in waiting areas. I could go on. Glad he called you out on it and hopefully you won't be so ignorant in future

Calm down :-)

Fair question. Didn't plan the haircut. Never do. Was in the shopping centre waiting on the wife so I went in. That's generally how I do it. Doubt anyone would specifically go for a hair cut and put in gel first. Thanks

Please try to offer specific advice in future.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭sheroman01

I don't necessarily see a problem with having product in your hair before getting a haircut. If you have work or an event before your appointment you might need to have your hair presentable. Obviously within reason for how much product you use. Onto this matter however - if the barbers had a sink, they should really have suggested getting a wash before. A lot of barbers offer a wash & cut. If the barbers did not have a sink and you genuinely did not have too much product in your hair, then I reckon this is unfair and rude.

Also, what barbers open on a Sunday? I can't think of any high end barbers that open on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

I've never had that issue and always have some product in my hair as I normally get it done after work. Although it's normally minimal, and not stuff that would make my hair hard.

I always say to them wash it if they need first. They normally run their hand through my hair and say it's fine. They always just give it a good dampen with the water bottle spray. And I always have a scissor cut.

Some people use too much product though or some nasty sticky crap and I can imagine it being a pain for the barber.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

sheroman01 wrote: »
    I don't necessarily see a problem with having product in your hair before getting a haircut. If you have work or an event before your appointment you might need to have your hair presentable. Obviously within reason for how much product you use. Onto this matter however - if the barbers had a sink, they should really have suggested getting a wash before. A lot of barbers offer a wash & cut. If the barbers did not have a sink and you genuinely did not have too much product in your hair, then I reckon this is unfair and rude.

Also, what barbers open on a Sunday? I can't think of any high end barbers that open on a Sunday.

Boston barbers for one do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Any barber would have suggested a wash and cut if it was required. I'm baffled by this scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Sunny Dayz wrote:
    Had he no sink to give your hair a quick wash in?

OP asked for a dry cut. Wash cut and blow dry obviously is more expensive.
    Barbers can spend hundreds on a good pair of scissors and gel car ruin them. It's up to the individual barber to decide if they want to cut a clients hair with product.
    If you go to a chiropodist you wash your feet before you go. I'd always shower before seeing the doctor if I was expecting an examination. I'd also brush my teeth and use mouth wash before I visit the dentist.
    Does the barber not deserve the same type of respect?

Just to add I didn't actually ask for a dry cut. Just a cut. Was surprised when he refused, I actually thought he was joking. But I didn't suggest he wash it when he didn't. Wouldn't have minded paying more one bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Just to add I didn't actually ask for a dry cut. Just a cut. Was surprised when he refused, I actually thought he was joking. But I didn't suggest he wash it when he didn't. Wouldn't have minded paying more one bit

Just a cut is a dry cut. When you ask for just a cut you are saying I don't want it washed, I just want a cut.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

I think your pride is bruised more so than being miffed over the service you got.
    I understand that.
    I'm also going to guess her that the barbar is not a native Irishman?
    Forget about it. Just one of those things.
    You'll know the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

This is bonkers, any barbers I've gone to will always use the bottle of water spray if my hair had some gel in and then a quick comb through to soften it..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

If it was an issue of dirty hair/nits, you would be embarrassed.

However I wouldn't take it personally over just gel. So long as he was polite in his refusal and explained why, I don't see the issue. Understandable that the gel ruins his tools. Bar the fact he didnt offer to wash it?

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Just a cut is a dry cut. When you ask for just a cut you are saying I don't want it washed, I just want a cut.

I get your point but I am confused why the barber didn't suggest a wash and cut. That would have been the logical next step. Lots of guys have product in their hair these days, so it's probably not unusual for barbers to encounter this. It really does seem like poor customer service to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Hi, I've never posted before but I'm looking for a little advice. I hope I've posted in the correct place. Today I went to a barbers that I've been to many times. I always wear gel in my hair. Not a massive amount but a little. I sat in the seat after waiting my turn and straight away, the barber said he couldn't cut my hair. I was taken aback and asked why. He told me that my hair was 'not clean of product' and would damage his tools. I was embarrassed as I was felt like anyone watching would think I was dirty or whatever. Is this the norm? I get a lot of hair cuts and never had this problem before, not even in the same place. Thanks in advance

Why couldnt he just wash it? I often get my hair cut with gel in it, the barbers could t care a damn- they either wash it or wet it. Job done

Often if you're working or out during the day, get a cut later on- it happens.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

dudara wrote: »
    I get your point but I am confused why the barber didn't suggest a wash and cut. That would have been the logical next step. Lots of guys have product in their hair these days, so it's probably not unusual for barbers to encounter this. It really does seem like poor customer service to me.
    How much is a wash these days? Always seemed like easy money to me

How much is a wash these days? Always seemed like easy money to me

I think maybe €3-5 more? Often they won't even charge you though depending on where.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I get how gel could mess with clippers but how does it ruin a pair of scissors? I can see how it would be a greasy mess and difficult to work with but actually ruin scissors?

Advertisement