Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread VIII - ** MOD NOTE POST #4781 **

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Aki signed up with Connacht until 2020 over a year ago. He wasn't considering playing with anyone else since then, at the very least.

Not according to the guy himself in January

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Stander had no future in professional rugby back in South Africa. His options were move to Ireland or retire basically. There was nothing else to nail his colours to.

Is that the case? He had no future as a springbok, I have never heard any mention that he was told he wasn't going to be able to continue as a professional player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Erik Shin wrote: »
    Not according to the guy himself in January

I don't know what comments you're referring to specifically but anyone who follows Irish rugby would have been able to recognise the IRFU didn't sign him up to 2020 without him committing to play for Ireland. He may not have said it publicly but it was obvious nonetheless.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

stephen_n wrote: »
    Is that the case? He had no future as a springbok, I have never heard any mention that he was told he wasn't going to be able to continue as a professional player.

As far as I know he was offered a contract with the idea that he would covert to hooker. He was told he was too small to make it as a super rugby back row forward.

I don't think he looked at the other teams for a contract though. Just the one he was in.

I don't know what comments you're referring to specifically but anyone who follows Irish rugby would have been able to recognise the IRFU didn't sign him up to 2020 without him committing to play for Ireland. He may not have said it publicly but it was obvious nonetheless.

Nothing obvious about it at all....he still hadn't committed to Ireland in January according to himself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Nothing obvious about it at all....he still hadn't committed to Ireland in January according to himself

Noone realistically believes this. His contract wouldn't have happened if this was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Hon Ireland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

I don't like it, I hate this whole "bantz" thing on social media, but the whole thing is kicking off because:

a) Aki is dark-skinned and there's always this spectre of RACISM! hanging over every mention of his name.
    b) Ultimate Rugby is owned by BOD and so it's more of a story. This wouldn't have garnered a mention on here if it had been Rugbylad, PunditArena or one of the other mass latrines of rugby discussion and content-stealing.

People could have used better judgement but there's very little in it.

That's the first mention of racism I've seen and I really don't believe it is anyway related to racism. Like it or not some people are not impressed with aki, stander etc on the Irish team. That's life. Aki hardly expressed huge interest in playing for Ireland for the last few years and that doesn't help his cause.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

For me and I know it's probably all pr but I also got the impression with Stander he wanted to show the guys who said he was too small to play internationally wrong and that that was his desire when pulling on the Irish jersey.

I always respected that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

It was incredibly obvious, it was an absolute certainty, I don't understand how you follow Irish rugby and don't get that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Any word on Conway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

For me and I know it's probably all pr but I also got the impression with Stander he wanted to show the guys who said he was too small to play internationally wrong and that that was his desire when pulling on the Irish jersey.

I always respected that.

But the guys were correct. He is too small - he never made it as a bok. If he had believed it and wanted to show them, he would have stayed there to do it. How low was he willing to go ? Sweden or somewhere ? (No offence Sweden).

Noone realistically believes this. His contract wouldn't have happened if this was the case.

It would have been if Pat Lambe had a talk and the IRFU were using it as a sweetener.....
    Maybe it was a bargaining ploy by Aki ..who knows. ..but to dismiss it out of hand is just ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

If someone has an issue with project players, grand there is a reasonable argument to be made on the topic but personalising it to one player isn't a good look.

Some of us have never personalised it at all. Consistent going back to Brian Smith. Because it isnt personal. It is the principal that is a travesty. More and more of them does make it more and more troublesome though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It would have been if Pat Lambe had a talk and the IRFU were using it as a sweetener.....
    Maybe it was a bargaining ploy by Aki ..who knows. ..but to dismiss it out of hand is just ridiculous
    Pat Lambe?

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Pat Lambe?

Patrick Lambie is extremely influential with the IRFU

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Pat Lambe?

Yes, and Pat Lam too!...

INPHO_00862239.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Any word on Conway?

10 weeks, reduced to 5 if TOH is called :D

• Subscribers Posts: 41,383 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Any word on Conway?

I hear he's a racist now father....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

I found this article by TRK on the subject very good http://threeredkings.com/false-juxtaposition/amp/

JPvUiph.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

No one = no person
    Noone is a surname.

No one = no person
    Noone is a surname.

Yeah... it was... Michael Noone, Leicester number 8, playing in the Championship now I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

Can someone please think of the little guys.
    if we were not allowed aki, stander and payne on the irish team it would be racist against us.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

A week for Conway. Available for all November internationals

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

stephen_n wrote: »
    Well then clearly race is an issue for you and reflects your viewpoints, I never considered his skin colour once, till it was brought up by people like you on here.

It's not an issue for me at all (if it was I'd find it mighty hard to support NZ, which is a team invariably with more Maori & Polynesian representation than Europeans). I do think it's (at least partially) the answer to IO's Q though.

It's great that you didn't consider his skin colour once, I don't think you can generalise your experience to the general population though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

One week for Conway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Thats a fair call.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Hooray, some actual rugby news!

Yeah, I think that's fair. Presume it was 2 weeks reduced to 1 for clean record, which would be reasonable.

Edit: yes, two weeks reduced to one:
    https://www.pro14rugby.org/2017/11/01/disciplinary-decision-andrew-conway/
    So, it was all POM's fault basically.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement