Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread VIII - ** MOD NOTE POST #4781 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Cian Healy is coming into some very good form. Seems a bit stronger when going into contact. That had been missing for the last few seasons. He's the best scrummaging loose head in Ireland and that extra nudge in the scrum could be invaluable. Great for Ireland as maybe we won't have to flog McGrath every game.

We've needed Healy back in form as I don't think the other options for the 17 jersey are particularly good.

• Administrators Posts: 53,648 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

So, after the last round of auditions...

Back three; Rob K got through 80 minutes and that's all he had to do, he and Earls will take two jerseys, would expect Dave K and Stockdale to split the 14 and 23 jerseys between them. Adam Byrne was very quiet tonight and Conway might find himself unavailable for the SA game. Still a bit early for Sweetnam.

Centres: The only question is whether its 12. Henshaw 13. Aki or vice versa. Scannell and Farrell both made me think that Joe called up the wrong Munster guy.

Half-backs: Would expect Marmion and Carbery to wear 21 and 22. McGrath closing the gap on Marmion but not there yet.

Front-row: Best nailed on but was woeful tonight. I would let him play next weekend. McGrath to hold off Healy but maybe not for long.

Second-row: I'd pick Treadwell but any one of three young guys could get and deserve the 19 jersey. Good times.

Back-row: Still can't see past POM/SOB/Stander, especially with VDF gone. Ruddock well ahead of TOD, Leavy and Conan.

So I'd say the lineup vs SA:

McGrath Best Furlong
    Toner Henderson
    POM Stander SOB
    Murray Sexton
    Earls Henshaw Aki Kearney
    Kearney

Tracy Healy Ryan Treadwell Ruddock Marmion Carbery Stockdale
    Ulster are in South Africa next weekend so I'd be very surprised if Best or any of the other internationals are involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Clegg wrote: »
    Cian Healy is coming into some very good form. Seems a bit stronger when going into contact. That had been missing for the last few seasons. He's the best scrummaging loose head in Ireland and that extra nudge in the scrum could be invaluable. Great for Ireland as maybe we won't have to flog McGrath every game.

We've needed Healy back in form as I don't think the other options for the 17 jersey are particularly good.

Yup

I think Healy has come into really good form and deserves the no1 shirt for Ireland and Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

McGrath Best Furlong
    Toner Henderson
    POM Stander SOB
    Murray Sexton
    Kearney

That might be ok if it was a must win 6 nations game but this is an Autumn international after World Cup seedlings are done. A rare chance to test guys out in a game that isn't vital to win.

Rob Kearney looks less likely to be starting in 2019 than starting given his age and injuries. In any case with Zebo gone, more options are needed. Start Carbery.

We know what Dave Kearney offers and respectfully I would hope we have some better options in two years. Start Stockdale, bench sweetnam.

O'Mahony and Stander aren't going great this season and again an opportunity to give some more guys experience. Ruddock and Conan in.

A short term benefit is with the 6N coming up, everyone knows places are up for grabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭durthacht

Front-row: Best nailed on but was woeful tonight. I would let him play next weekend

Dunno about Best playing next weekend - Kildare to South Africa is a long enough way to go for a match :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Last night aki made a turnover after 2 or 3 minutes. Marmion had a chance to box kick or just get the ball out of the dangerzone. He passed, which forced connacht back into their 22. Eventually Munster won a scrum and scored from it.

McGrath put in 2 or 3 lovely kicks tonight. Just turned Ulster and kept them in their own 22/half. It took the pressure off Leinster.

Marmion for me, as an international 9 needs to make some better decisions. I think connacht can push for pro14 SFs but they need to stop playing themselves into trouble. They seem to just spend/waste so much energy in situations they dont need to be in sometimes. Then they force things.

I think there are clear and obvious issues with munster, ulster and connacht and they need to be addressed

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

ClanofLams wrote: »
    That might be ok if it was a must win 6 nations game but this is an Autumn international after World Cup seedlings are done. A rare chance to test guys out in a game that isn't vital to win.

Rob Kearney looks less likely to be starting in 2019 than starting given his age and injuries. In any case with Zebo gone, more options are needed. Start Carbery.

We know what Dave Kearney offers and respectfully I would hope we have some better options in two years. Start Stockdale, bench sweetnam.

O'Mahony and Stander aren't going great this season and again an opportunity to give some more guys experience. Ruddock and Conan in.

A short term benefit is with the 6N coming up, everyone knows places are up for grabs.
    I suspect you're right. Zebo's move means that there's very little time to get a new wing/fullback up to speed and every match is going to be needed. Generally we've been short of experienced wings anyway because of retirements and early retirements. The first wave of candidates have been selected and need to be played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

awec wrote: »
    Ulster are in South Africa next weekend so I'd be very surprised if Best or any of the other internationals are involved.

Ah. Right so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

If the Kearney brothers are both selected, then I give up. Rob lucky to be even in the squad and Dave must have something on Joe or someone in the irfu. Doesnt deserve a place at all. madness if this happens imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

tototoe wrote: »
    If the Kearney brothers are both selected, then I give up. Rob lucky to be even in the squad and Dave must have something on Joe or someone in the irfu. Doesnt deserve a place at all. madness if this happens imo.

Check out @sportsbeefpod’;s Tweet: https://twitter.com/sportsbeefpod/status/924339507528372231?s=08

This did give me a laugh I have to admit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

ClanofLams wrote: »

McGrath Best Furlong
    Toner Henderson
    POM Stander SOB
    Murray Sexton
    Kearney

The thing is you don’t just throw a load of young lads in together against Tier 1 opposition. You learn the sum total of SFA doing that. You slot in one or two in each area of the park alongside experienced players so you can really see how they’d go in a strong side.

Plus, people might say now that these aren’t must win games, but can you imagine what would happen if we lost 2 or 3 of them!?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Erik Shin wrote: »
    This did give me a laugh I have to admit

It's a nonsense tweet. We're in for another month of people who struggle with basic concepts telling us how bad they are despite rarely watching them. How fun.

I'd imagine both Rob and Dave will be in the 23 but a part of me wishes they're reinjured so I don't have to read the ****e that will be posted. I find in particular the absolutely hilarious hypocrisy of people arguing for Sweetnam now after us spending so long hearing how Kearney wasn't an international level winger because he doesn't score tries! Mental gymnastics at their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

So, after the last round of auditions...

Back three; Rob K got through 80 minutes and that's all he had to do, he and Earls will take two jerseys, would expect Dave K and Stockdale to split the 14 and 23 jerseys between them. Adam Byrne was very quiet tonight and Conway might find himself unavailable for the SA game. Still a bit early for Sweetnam.

Centres: The only question is whether its 12. Henshaw 13. Aki or vice versa. Scannell and Farrell both made me think that Joe called up the wrong Munster guy.

Half-backs: Would expect Marmion and Carbery to wear 21 and 22. McGrath closing the gap on Marmion but not there yet.

Front-row: Best nailed on but was woeful tonight. I would let him play next weekend. McGrath to hold off Healy but maybe not for long.

Second-row: I'd pick Treadwell but any one of three young guys could get and deserve the 19 jersey. Good times.

Back-row: Still can't see past POM/SOB/Stander, especially with VDF gone. Ruddock well ahead of TOD, Leavy and Conan.

So I'd say the lineup vs SA:

McGrath Best Furlong
    Toner Henderson
    POM Stander SOB
    Murray Sexton
    Kearney

No room for McCloskey in there? I think there's a chance of McCloskey and Henshaw starting against SA. And that we might not see Aki put a jersey on until the fiji game.

Dave Kearney surely, surely surely surely surely cannot have earned a place in the 23 for the SA game....surely....????

Stockdale, Earls (hopefully the tackles he will inevitably miss aren't game changers) and R Kearney back 3.

It's a nonsense tweet. We're in for another month of people who struggle with basic concepts telling us how bad they are despite rarely watching them. How fun.

I'd imagine both Rob and Dave will be in the 23 but a part of me wishes they're reinjured so I don't have to read the ****e that will be posted. I find in particular the absolutely hilarious hypocrisy of people arguing for Sweetnam now after us spending so long hearing how Kearney wasn't an international level winger because he doesn't score tries! Mental gymnastics at their best.

You mad bro?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

kuang1 wrote: »
    No room for McCloskey in there? I think there's a chance of McCloskey and Henshaw starting against SA. And that we might not see Aki put a jersey on until the fiji game.

Dave Kearney surely, surely surely surely surely cannot have earned a place in the 23 for the SA game....surely....????

Stockdale, Earls (hopefully the tackles he will inevitably miss aren't game changers) and R Kearney back 3.

Henshaw is viewed as a 12 by joe. I think Henshaw - Aki in the centre. The squad selection is with 2019 in mind so i would be surprised if we saw too much unnecessary chopping and changing

McCloskey - Farrell in the centre v Fiji
    D Kearney, Conway, Sweetnam back 3

I hope stockdale, R Kearney, Earls back 3 v SA

On Dave, of course he can be involved, he's started at a high level before while the others haven't. If Conway is out then it's really between him and Stockdale I'd imagine, who is very green.

I think you could well end up being right about McCloskey. I'd imagine Aki will soon be well ahead of him but McCloskey/Henshaw have started together before so if they're worried about cohesion then they might go with those two. Aki being involved in prior camps might have given him enough to start however. And if Aki starts at 13 it only increases the chances it'll be Kearney at 14.

You mad bro?

Obviously

Obviously

Don't mind me....
    "You are awful...but I like you"

On Dave, of course he can be involved, he's started at a high level before while the others haven't. If Conway is out then it's really between him and Stockdale I'd imagine, who is very green.

Mind you if it was Earls RK and Stockdale as the back 3, and Conway was suspended, who's left to fill the 23 jersey??
    (Gulp)

Mind you if it was Earls RK and Stockdale as the back 3, and Conway was suspended, who's left to fill the 23 jersey??
    (Gulp)

Genuinely? Keatley...can fill in at 12, 15 and does a bit at 10 I believe

• Advertisement

(Gulp)

46469_54_news_hub_40214_656x500.jpg

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    46469_54_news_hub_40214_656x500.jpg

Of course! :)

Genuinely? Keatley...can fill in at 12, 15 and does a bit at 10 I believe

Keatley is not going to have the 23 jersey

Stockdale starting and Sweetnam/Kearney in the 23 jersey or Kearney starting and Stockdale in the 23 jersey.

If they want to cover 15 from a different player on the bench then Carberry gives them that option, I'd imagine he's still ahead of Keatley.

Keatley is not going to have the 23 jersey

Stockdale starting and Sweetnam/Kearney in the 23 jersey or Kearney starting and Stockdale in the 23 jersey.

If they want to cover 15 from a different player on the bench then Carberry gives them that option, I'd imagine he's still ahead of Keatley.

I'd say Carbery is about 3rd choice there at the minute?
    But, come 2019, things may change of course........and he'll be 4th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

That clip shows exactly why Joe picks Dave. He could have put his head down and gone for the corner; he might have made it or he might have been tackled into touch. Instead, he went for the higher percentage play of cutting back inside and recycling possession on the 5-metre line. Leinster kept the ball and were in a great field position. It was exactly the right thing to do, or rather, it's exactly what Joe would want him to do.

I know I'm wasting my time but if anyone is genuinely interested, there it is.

I'd say Carbery is about 3rd choice there at the minute?
    But, come 2019, things may change of course........and he'll be 4th

Not behind Keatley anyway. Carberry toured with and started for Ireland in the summer remember so no evidence of that. Maybe Keatley has pushed his way ahead of him since, but both have had good seasons so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Keatley in fairness was brilliant at keeping the ball alive when Munster came to Dublin. The way he missed touch with half the kicks he attempted was masterful

That clip shows exactly why Joe picks Dave. He could have put his head down and gone for the corner; he might have made it or he might have been tackled into touch. Instead, he went for the higher percentage play of cutting back inside and recycling possession on the 5-metre line. Leinster kept the ball and were in a great field position. It was exactly the right thing to do, or rather, it's exactly what Joe would want him to do.

I know I'm wasting my time but if anyone is genuinely interested, there it is.

Yes indeed... 3 international tries Kearney....or 26 international tries Earls...
    Maybe, just maybe! next time Dave gets the ball with the tryline at his mercy he just ask himself, what would Keith do....

Yes indeed... 3 international tries Kearney....or 26 international tries Earls...
    Maybe, just maybe! next time Dave gets the ball with the tryline at his mercy he just ask himself, what would Keith do....

You know you're fulfilling prophecies now right Erik?

• Advertisement

Well hopefully Dave wont think about what earls did v france in cardiff ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement