Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread VIII - ** MOD NOTE POST #4781 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

2 quiet useless south African clubs come into the pro14

You're not watching the Pro14 if you're calling the Cheetahs useless.
    Once again I read someone else that doesn't acknowledge the money this has brought into the league.
    the welsh and scottish secretly want to join with the english

The Scots want to join the English? Since when?
    and the italian clubs live with the reality at least one could be dissolved.

Conor O'Shea has said there's no intention of dissolving one club. They have been competitive this season so it's now more unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

connachta wrote: »
    go watching Leinster, the real only one Irish team, and leave those who love rugby quiet
    BTW Farrell played underage in Dublin, this precision will bring him a bit more respect maybe..

He not only played underage, he was in the Leinster academy and A team. I don't think anyone is disrespecting him but his name doesn't really belong in the Ireland thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I think Henshaw is a guarantee to play the first test against South Africa and most likely to be rested for the middle test against Fiji.
    Having played alongside Aki would lead me to believe they will partner up for the first test.
    It could be 12 Aki, 13 Henshaw, as they played with Connacht.
    Or they could swap. Looking at the way Aki has been selected at 13 for tomorrow's match, I wonder if that was a request from Joe Schmidt, and keeping Henshaw at 12 would reduce change.
    I don't know if McCloskey and Farrell ever played together at Ulster but perhaps would pair up nicely against Fiji.
    Marshall was unlucky to lose out to Farrell in selection though, can only surmise Farrell is being rewarded for coming back to Ireland as a message to other players, as he hasn't really impressed me so far this season. Though his big frame is interesting, could offer something different to the mix that we lack with other options.
    The final test against Argentina could see Henshaw matched with any of the other 3 depending on their performances, one match each to impress.

Just read today that McCloskey and Chris Farrell played together for Dungannon and perhaps trained at Ulster academy before Farrell transferred to Grenoble.
    Also was reminded that McCloskey's only cap came inside to Henshaw at 13.
    Just makes it more interesting, I'd assumed Aki would start with Henshaw but I didn't realise those other points.
    So it makes it more possible that in the first test it could be Henshaw at 12 or 13 with Aki or Henshaw at 13 with McCloskey.
    And McCloskey and Farrell may well have a good understanding of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

connachta wrote: »
    go watching Leinster, the real only one Irish team, and leave those who love rugby quiet
    BTW Farrell played underage in Dublin, this precision will bring him a bit more respect maybe..

He not only played underage, he was in the Leinster academy and A team. I don't think anyone is disrespecting him but his name doesn't really belong in the Ireland thread.
    he does. 29 y.o for OUR RWC 2023. Fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

i cant wait until 6:30, will he or wont he?
    please uncle joe be there. My views on you need validation.

Thank you uncle joe.
    count 1 fanboys on here 0
    He is not even trying to hide it now.
    Lets see how cocky uncle joe after another poor 6 nations.
    Boom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Thank you uncle joe.
    Boom.

So happy for you! Seems you’re more interested in this than how your team did last night, but that’s cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Thank you uncle joe.
    Boom.

Joe is well known for his attention to detail, and ability to focus and distinguish the elements that are important in the preparation of his teams from those that are peripheral. And he does not shirk putting in the time and effort when there is something to be gained from being on the ground and getting the job done. With his eye on serious international level prospects there was no way he was going to miss this game.

I am tempted to suggest he should be ashamed of himself for leaving Larmour out of the squad . As a back 3 future certainty for Ireland, surely an opportunity lost to fast track him ahead of some more pedestrian options ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Thank you uncle joe.
    Boom.

You mean he went to the game that started an hour earlier and on a Saturday instead of Friday. Hmm i wonder what reasons he could possibly have for that......some people

Thank you uncle joe.
    Boom.

Do you require sudocrem for your butthurt condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Thank you uncle joe.
    Boom.

You are sad and pathetic.

• Advertisement

Hard to look beyond SOB as next Ireland captain after that.

Played all 3 Lions tests without any competition and was MOTM in a crunching, unquestionably intense battle in Ravenhill.

Based on form of the last month or so (and who was selected this week)

Healy, Tracy, Furlong, Henderson, Toner, Ruddock, TOD, SoB, Murray, Sexton, Stockdale, Henshaw, Aki, Earls, Carbery

Most likely be 4 or 5 changes to that though

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Dubron

Would love to see something like this for Fiji:

Healy
    Tracy
    Ryan
    Henderson
    Ryan
    Ruddock
    TOD
    Conan
    McGrath
    Keatley
    Stockdale
    McCloskey
    Aki
    Byrne
    Carbery

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

I do think back to Pat Lam saying rugby is an entertainment business. And then international rugby is anything but that. Its totally results based. I still struggle with the concept that you cannot entertain and gain a result at the same time

I do think back to Pat Lam saying rugby is an entertainment business. And then international rugby is anything but that. Its totally results based. I still struggle with the concept that you cannot entertain and gain a result at the same time

Because the players in national teams are not together week in week out. Its hard to develop the sort of cohesion for the type of gameplan you are talking about. Especially with all the video analysis that goes on these days

have to admit i would like to see a line of toh, larmour, aki, henshaw, stockdale, sexton and murray. Drool....

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Harry FM

Has McGrath played his way ahead of Marmion after tonight's performance?

but rather than stockdale, we get earls, rather than toh we get rk, rather than lamour we get DK. It would make you cry

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

but rather than stockdale, we get earls, rather than toh we get rk, rather than lamour we get DK. It would make you cry

Stockdales in the squad. TOH has been given his chance over the last two years in extended squads and obviously didn't make an impression. This is Larmours first season with the senior team and isn't starting or making the 23 match day squad regularly.

Sweet mother of Jesus, Joe's named a team with an awful lot of youth and new caps and people still complain about not having enough younger players.

This shtick is boring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

So, after the last round of auditions...

Back three; Rob K got through 80 minutes and that's all he had to do, he and Earls will take two jerseys, would expect Dave K and Stockdale to split the 14 and 23 jerseys between them. Adam Byrne was very quiet tonight and Conway might find himself unavailable for the SA game. Still a bit early for Sweetnam.

Centres: The only question is whether its 12. Henshaw 13. Aki or vice versa. Scannell and Farrell both made me think that Joe called up the wrong Munster guy.

Half-backs: Would expect Marmion and Carbery to wear 21 and 22. McGrath closing the gap on Marmion but not there yet.

Front-row: Best nailed on but was woeful tonight. I would let him play next weekend. McGrath to hold off Healy but maybe not for long.

Second-row: I'd pick Treadwell but any one of three young guys could get and deserve the 19 jersey. Good times.

Back-row: Still can't see past POM/SOB/Stander, especially with VDF gone. Ruddock well ahead of TOD, Leavy and Conan.

So I'd say the lineup vs SA:

McGrath Best Furlong
    Toner Henderson
    POM Stander SOB
    Murray Sexton
    Earls Henshaw Aki Kearney
    Kearney

Tracy Healy Ryan Treadwell Ruddock Marmion Carbery Stockdale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Wegians89 wrote: »
    I've never seen ToH run at some one the way he did at earls in the first few minutes, put earls on his arse

He absolutely thumped him. Great to see the intensity that has not been around for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

PoM and Stander will start against South Africa. They have the pedigree and have performed at a high level for us in the past. I'm worried about their form going into these tests though. Neither has had a particularly good start to the season and if selection were based purely on form they wouldn't be in the 23. Need big performances from them.

So, after the last round of auditions...

Back three; Rob K got through 80 minutes and that's all he had to do, he and Earls will take two jerseys, would expect Dave K and Stockdale to split the 14 and 23 jerseys between them. Adam Byrne was very quiet tonight and Conway might find himself unavailable for the SA game. Still a bit early for Sweetnam.

Centres: The only question is whether its 12. Henshaw 13. Aki or vice versa. Scannell and Farrell both made me think that Joe called up the wrong Munster guy.

Half-backs: Would expect Marmion and Carbery to wear 21 and 22. McGrath closing the gap on Marmion but not there yet.

Front-row: Best nailed on but was woeful tonight. I would let him play next weekend. McGrath to hold off Healy but maybe not for long.

Second-row: I'd pick Treadwell but any one of three young guys could get and deserve the 19 jersey. Good times.

Back-row: Still can't see past POM/SOB/Stander, especially with VDF gone. Ruddock well ahead of TOD, Leavy and Conan.

So I'd say the lineup vs SA:

McGrath Best Furlong
    Toner Henderson
    POM Stander SOB
    Murray Sexton
    Earls Henshaw Aki Kearney
    Kearney

Tracy Healy Ryan Treadwell Ruddock Marmion Carbery Stockdale

Good stab at it, although the starting team doesnt seem to reflect the youthful developmental look of the squad. I think one or two of them might make it.
    Stockdale for Dave the most likely one.
    Rob had a good game tonight, and in all seriousness, showed that even while fading a little, he is still a class above any of the not at all in his league possible contenders. We do need to find his successor though.
    I think Stander over Conan would be harsh given the form of both, and would definitely be a case of picking on past achievement rather than likely form against SA. It would not surprise me if he did go with Conan, and Stander on the bench, Rudders out.
    And I would go with McCloskey myself instead of Aki.

The Fidji game to have only about 5 of this team, with 10 developmental picks, and the Arg game to be a bit more experimental than the SA selection : rest Best, Toner, Stander if he does make the SA game, and start Carbs, and Conway somewhere.

Clegg wrote: »
    PoM and Stander will start against South Africa. They have the pedigree

How does parentage come into it ?

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    He absolutely thumped him. Great to see the intensity that has not been around for a long time.

Possibly its that long term lack of intensity that puts Joe off selecting him for the wider Ireland squad ?

Clegg wrote: »
    PoM and Stander will start against South Africa. They have the pedigree and have performed at a high level for us in the past. I'm worried about their form going into these tests though. Neither has had a particularly good start to the season and if selection were based purely on form they wouldn't be in the 23. Need big performances from them.

In all probability thats it, but I just have a sneaking feeling Ruddock might start. He is the one player above all others whose performances have been clear cut better.

Possibly its that long term lack of intensity that puts Joe off selecting him for the wider Ireland squad ?
    Leinster is better. Simple as. Munster are the heave hoes, Ulster is the no pack, Connacht is the manic rubbish. Its not that it ain't obvious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

Good to see posters here take their lead from uncle joe and also show their true colours, its actually good to see as its removes the hidden agenda's.
    I want total transparency on here and by April 2018 I plan on having it. certain posters here will need to keep their powder dry as even the sad and the pathetic can have some fun times.
    tick tock fanboys. tick tock.

• Advertisement

Leinster is better. Simple as. Munster are the heave hoes, Ulster is the no pack, Connacht is the manic rubbish. Its not that it ain't obvious

Last night aki made a turnover after 2 or 3 minutes. Marmion had a chance to box kick or just get the ball out of the dangerzone. He passed, which forced connacht back into their 22. Eventually Munster won a scrum and scored from it.

McGrath put in 2 or 3 lovely kicks tonight. Just turned Ulster and kept them in their own 22/half. It took the pressure off Leinster.

Marmion for me, as an international 9 needs to make some better decisions. I think connacht can push for pro14 SFs but they need to stop playing themselves into trouble. They seem to just spend/waste so much energy in situations they dont need to be in sometimes. Then they force things.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement