Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread VIII - ** MOD NOTE POST #4781 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭MattD

I don't think anyone has done anything too amazing or egregious to really change pecking orders in Joe's eyes.

From the November squad, it looks like someone will have to replace Tracy (Cronin) and Scannell if fit will get in ahead of Herring. VDF will be back ahead of O'Donnell. Someone will replace Ruddock (JOD or Murphy). Ringrose will hopefully be back ahead of McCloskey, and maybe someone to replace Dave Kearney (McFadden?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Think Barry Daly will be the only real change to the squad, probably in place of Dave Kearney

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Think Barry Daly will be the only real change to the squad, probably in place of Dave Kearney

Earls will replace Kearney.

Edit: Was Earls in the original autumn squad? I can't recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Yeah he was in the squad but got injured before he could play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Could be wrong but I thought Dave was on the initial squad? Is so I don’t think both of sweetman or Adam Byrne will be in it either. Think earls McFadden, Daly, Conway Rob Kearney and stockdale Will all be involved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Could be wrong but I thought Dave was on the initial squad? Is so I don’t think both of sweetman or Adam Byrne will be in it either. Think earls McFadden, Daly, Conway Rob Kearney and stockdale Will all be involved

Think the euro games might dictate if Daly gets a look in. He was in contention for the wider squads of the Ai's. If he doesn't force his way into the Leinster team in the next two games, I doubt he will make the 6N squads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Bridge93 wrote: »
    I also see no world where Chris Farrell is ahead of Ringrose if Schmidt calls upon another centre. He's done nothing to suggest that's the case

Ringrose appears to be out again with an injury. Wow, no world eh..,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Yup, Ringrose apparently to miss upcoming Champions Cup games and first two rounds of Six Nations at least

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/leinster-rugby/leinster-star-garry-ringrose-ruled-out-for-six-weeks-36471285.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Season is a bit of a write off for him at this stage. Couldn't have come at a worse time, really. Aki will almost certainly cement his spot in the Irish team and, if someone performs well and it's a close call, it's hard to take that jersey back unless there's an injury as guys like POM found out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Yup, Ringrose apparently to miss upcoming Champions Cup games and first two rounds of Six Nations at least

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/leinster-rugby/leinster-star-garry-ringrose-ruled-out-for-six-weeks-36471285.html

He probably wouldn't have made the Ireland team but that's a right balls for Leinster. I really hope they keep Henshaw at 12 and replace him with ROL. Was going to say Larmour but yeah, bit much to start even him at 13 in a Euro game.

• Advertisement

He probably wouldn't have made the Ireland team but that's a right balls for Leinster. I really hope they keep Henshaw at 12 and replace him with ROL. Was going to say Larmour but yeah, bit much to start even him at 13 in a Euro game.

I'd imagine if ISA is fit he'll slot in at 12 with Henshaw 13 as opposed to Henshaw 12 ROL 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

With the depth that's been developed over the last couple of years, I was expecting to see a bit of rotation this 6N. I may be wrong, but having developed depth, you have to maintain it, otherwise it gets stale. On that basis I would have thought Ringrose had a very good chance of making a match-day squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,061 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

With Ringrose injured Henshaw is a dead cert to start at 13 for Ireland in the 6N. Get him in that jersey now for Leinster to reacquaint himself with the position. He's good enough to swap from inside to outside centre with minimal fuss but the extra game time there wouldn't hurt. It's tough on RoL but I think a 12/13 combo of Nacewa and Henshaw is marginally better than a Henshaw/ROL one.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    With the depth that's been developed over the last couple of years, I was expecting to see a bit of rotation this 6N. I may be wrong, but having developed depth, you have to maintain it, otherwise it gets stale. On that basis I would have thought Ringrose had a very good chance of making a match-day squad.

6N and rotation just don't go together and they never have. The only case I can think of is in 2009 Kidney made four unforced changes for the Scotland game. He never did anything similar again, EOS didn't do it, Schmidt doesn't do it.

6N and rotation just don't go together and they never have. The only case I can think of is in 2009 Kidney made four unforced changes for the Scotland game. He never did anything similar again, EOS didn't do it, Schmidt doesn't do it.
    I know it hasn't happened in the past. But I believe we may see it this year.

I know it hasn't happened in the past. But I believe we may see it this year.

It would be a departure on the part of the IRFU not to have this tournament as an absolute priority.

I appreciate what you are saying regarding rotation and squad building and that will happen to a degree as a result of injuries, but I can't see Schmidt not picking his best available 23 for most games this six nations even with the World Cup approaching next year.

It would be a departure on the part of the IRFU not to have this tournament as an absolute priority.

I appreciate what you are saying regarding rotation and squad building and that will happen to a degree as a result of injuries, but I can't see Schmidt not picking his best available 23 for most games this six nations even with the World Cup approaching next year.
    There are a lot of players of a similar level that could be rotated in and out. For example, Luke McGrath and Kieran Marmion.

Edit: I'm typing this from a nuclear shelter as far from Connacht as possible. ;)

There are a lot of players of a similar level that could be rotated in and out. For example, Luke McGrath and Kieran Marmion.

On the bench, sure, but SH is the one position where Schmidt basically gives nobody else a shot at all. There were some stats about recently about just how little gametime anyone else has had there other than Murray.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,061 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Kidney rotated the squad a few times at the nadir of his reign. Things weren't working with the old reliables so he parachuted Gilroy, Zebo and Marshall into the squad. It was really a mad scramble to get a decent performance rather than build squad depth but whatever.

On the bench, sure, but SH is the one position where Schmidt basically gives nobody else a shot at all. There were some stats about recently about just how little gametime anyone else has had there other than Murray.
    OK. Keith Earls and Andrew Conway. Cian Healy and Jack McGrath.

• Advertisement

OK. Keith Earls and Andrew Conway. Cian Healy and Jack McGrath.

What he may do is change things up depending on the type of game he wants to play.

I just don't think he's going to use the 6 Nations to 'have a look' at guys. His first priority will be to win, if he can do that and still manage some rotation then great, but I don't think he'll make changes that will in anyway weaken the side in his view.

We've actually blooded a lot of new players and given out a good few new caps the last while, there is a point where that start to become counter productive as well.

Joe needs to be more conservative :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The reality is, neither EOS or Kidney had the depth to make changes. Nor did they have the competitive environment. Would dropping POM for Leavy, or Aki for Ringrose weaken the team in any way. From what we have seen, swapping Toner for Ryan for a game wouldn’t damage us, or Dillane for that matter. This is the first time when our first choice 23 doesn’t pretty much select itself based on ability.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,383 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

hes after spending the summer and autumn of last year to "having a look at guys" ...
    we capped 14 new players last year (2 during the 6N and 12 during the tours)

due to injury crises wales capped 15
    england capped 12
    scotland 3
    italy 8ish

there is no need to be looking at new players during the 6n at this stage. maybe players like larmour might be brought into the training squad, but i cannot see him starting uncapped in any game.

What he may do is change things up depending on the type of game he wants to play.

I just don't think he's going to use the 6 Nations to 'have a look' at guys. His first priority will be to win, if he can do that and still manage some rotation then great, but I don't think he'll make changes that will in anyway weaken the side in his view.

We've actually blooded a lot of new players and given out a good few new caps the last while, there is a point where that start to become counter productive as well.

Joe needs to be more conservative :D
    Talk about putting words in my mouth. :(

He's already 'had a look at them'. I'm talking about using the ones he's looked at. Not having a punt on new caps. Although that's not completely out of the question either, if injuries strike.

I actually gave examples. Did they strike you as new caps?

Talk about putting words in my mouth. :(

He's already 'had a look at them'. I'm talking about using the ones he's looked at. Not having a punt on new caps. Although that's not completely out of the question either, if injuries strike.

I actually gave examples. Did they strike you as new caps?

I'm not really having an argument here, reading back over your posts I see what you are getting at and I don't disagree. It's all a bit semantic over the use of the word rotation.

I would see rotation as dropping Sexton for 2 games when fit and starting Ross Byrne or Carbery. Or dropping Rob Kearney for 2 games and starting Conway back there. These changes will happen outside of the Italy game.

I don't think Joe will do these things unless he has to. He will have a gameplan for each match and an ideal 23 to implement that. I don't think 'gametime' for the wider squad will impact who is in that 23. Fatigue, injury and form in camp will be the rotators in chief.

• Administrators Posts: 53,652 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't think we'll see any new caps this 6N. There is nobody knocking on the door who hasn't already been capped.

awec wrote: »
    I don't think we'll see any new caps this 6N. There is nobody knocking on the door who hasn't already been capped.

Larmour is the obvious stand out.

Oh God.

I was just doing a quick google to see if I could find a picture of Larmour knocking on a door or something that could be easily photo-shopped into the same and instead I discovered this.

http://armodelagency.com/2015/11/16/jordan-larmour/

Twinkle toes indeed!

• Administrators Posts: 53,652 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Larmour is the obvious stand out.

I'd say he's next in line for a cap but I would doubt he is at the stage where he'll be included next month.

It took Stockdale about a year or so, Larmour should aim for the AIs or if he's lucky he might go to Australia.

Who do we play this November?

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    I'd say he's next in line for a cap but I would doubt he is at the stage where he'll be included next month.

It took Stockdale about a year or so, Larmour should aim for the AIs or if he's lucky he might go to Australia.

Who do we play this November?

fully agreed,

the best example i can see was ringrose, who had significant people clamouring for his inclusion in the 2016 6N squad, but joe held him off until the november series.

i expect the very same with larmour, unless we have back 3 injury crisis.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement