Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread VIII - ** MOD NOTE POST #4781 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Bazzo wrote: »
    Not sure where you're getting that about Bealham? He rarely let's the side down, been in great form recently and he's regularly dominant in the scrum.

Yeah I haven't seen a lot of Connacht this season, so I could be judging Bealham harshly, from what I've seen he hasn't stood out, but I'd defer to Connacht fans to appraise his form.
    He is a good player so no problem if he is included for the 6nations. Is Bealham playing regularly for Connacht as first choice?
    He has good hands and if he is scrummaging well I'd have him in the fold for Ireland for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Sounds like some fairly wishful thinking on your part. He's been injured. He was absolutely excellent for Leinster up to that point, and he was ahead of Keatley in the eyes of the Irish coaches considering he was getting picked to bench and start in the AIs. The only thing that will see Keatley ahead of him is his injury.

Excellent as a fullback don't forget.
    And now Kearney and Larmour are ahead of him there,
    While Sexton and Byrne are ahead of him at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Excellent as a fullback don't forget.
    And now Kearney and Larmour are ahead of him there,
    While Sexton and Byrne are ahead of him at 10.

As I said, wishful thinking. We have no idea if either of those things are true. They just suit you and your Keatley for Ireland position.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I also see no world where Chris Farrell is ahead of Ringrose if Schmidt calls upon another centre. He's done nothing to suggest that's the case

• Subscribers Posts: 41,383 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Buer wrote: »
    That would be a whopping 8 point win.

Exactly :)

• Advertisement

I think Keatley is best back up for now.
    No way you could go with Carberry as he can't goalkick

Pick one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

It might be my Connacht biased but I feel Bealham and Dillane should be 18 and 19 personally, Bealham has been vital to a rock solid Connacht scrum and maul and also contributes a lot around the park. He can cover both sides too.

While I feel Porters potentially could be a much better player I just don't get how he can be ahead of him ATM, Porter still has a lot of learning to do.

If it's 5 props in the (cut) extended squad I'd have Healy McGrath furlong bealham and Porter. If there's a sixth kilcoyne involved.

A surprise inclusion could be Shane Delahunt if there is a place free at hooker. He's been extremely impressive and given there seems to be a push to identify options after best could be a good shout. Delahunt is still only 23 I think so one of the youngest hookets around too.

Don't think toh will make the squad again so this place will be great craic I'm sure. If I was to pick one Connacht back three player to be involved with Ireland I believe Matt Healy would deserve it more then toh but the options on the wings won't make that likel. Hope Ross Byrne makes the squad been hugely impressed with him, think his cross field kicking would be loved by Schmidt.

Make up of the back row and centres will be very interesting and could see a situation where there are no first choices in this positions and rather pick combinations for the oppositions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Mr Shikadance

Given Kilcoyne and Ryan struggled with our second and third choice props last night, and Bealham has had a very strong run recently including a try in the RDS, it will be interesting to see what is done with the props. I get there is a lot of hype around Porter, but I am not sure I see the hype being realised in this moment. A strong run against a brutal Ulster side doesn't say too much ultimately. Perhaps we will see a bit of rotation with props, who knows.
    It's great to have the options however.

Wegians89 wrote: »
    It might be my Connacht biased but I feel Bealham and Dillane should be 18 and 19 personally, Bealham has been vital to a rock solid Connacht scrum and maul and also contributes a lot around the park. He can cover both sides too.

Don't think that requires much bias, said as much after the Leinster Connacht game. I'd have no issue with either involved, both seem to be playing well and look as fit as they have in recent seasons.

While I feel Porters potentially could be a much better player I just don't get how he can be ahead of him ATM, Porter still has a lot of learning to do.

If it's 5 props in the (cut) extended squad I'd have Healy McGrath furlong bealham and Porter. If there's a sixth kilcoyne involved.

A surprise inclusion could be Shane Delahunt if there is a place free at hooker. He's been extremely impressive and given there seems to be a push to identify options after best could be a good shout. Delahunt is still only 23 I think so one of the youngest hookets around too.

Don't think toh will make the squad again so this place will be great craic I'm sure. If I was to pick one Connacht back three player to be involved with Ireland I believe Matt Healy would deserve it more then toh but the options on the wings won't make that likel. Hope Ross Byrne makes the squad been hugely impressed with him, think his cross field kicking would be loved by Schmidt.

Make up of the back row and centres will be very interesting and could see a situation where there are no first choices in this positions and rather pick combinations for the oppositions

I think Healy and McGrath will be our first and second choice Loosehead. Kilcoyne isn't consistent enough and regularly get's shown up in the scrum, he'll be in camp though.

Tighthead is more complicated. Furlong is out and out first choice, but after that we've a bunch of nearly men. Personally I'd probably go with Bealham or Ryan. There are clamours for Archer but I don't rate him in big games when his work rate falls off quickly enough.

Is Porter in the mix? Maybe, he'll be in camp most likely and beyond that who knows. He is a player Joe will like, takes his fitness and conditioning very seriously, has good hands and is starting to show some quality loose play. Still very green though so will wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

I'd like to see the likes of Ryan Porter and larmour to spend this six nations starting for Leinster and impressing and then in the summer bring them along on the tour and I've them game time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Beaham over Ryan and Archer for me. Rate Ryan as a better player than Archer but Bealham playing more regularly and better than him

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I'd like to see the likes of Ryan Porter and larmour to spend this six nations starting for Leinster and impressing and then in the summer bring them along on the tour and I've them game time

The thing is though, both Porter and Ryan have been in both the Japan squad and the AI squad, so there's a good chance that Joe already sees them as squad members and not just fresh blood/apprentices.

But I do agree it would be good for them to get gametime considering the three are still lacking in caps in a blue jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

James Ryan?

Nah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Porter should be in the wider squad with a view to RWC 2019. I would still expect Ryan to bench regardless of pecking order at Munster. I'm not a fan of Bealham tbh.

I'd probably go for Dillane as 19 ahead of Ryan, he's in great form. Ryan's injuries probably mean there won't be much of a decision anyway.

Keatley isn't good enough for international rugby. I'd bring Byrne in ahead of him as third choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Porter should be in the wider squad with a view to RWC 2019. I would still expect Ryan to bench regardless of pecking order at Munster. I'm not a fan of Bealham tbh.

I'd probably go for Dillane as 19 ahead of Ryan, he's in great form. Ryan's injuries probably mean there won't be much of a decision anyway.

Keatley isn't good enough for international rugby. I'd bring Byrne in ahead of him as third choice.

I don't think there is even a debate that Byrne should be in the wider squad ahead of Keatley. I think he's very good, very composed, he may not have the x factor of Carbery or Sexton but he seems to be growing with every game.

bilston wrote: »
    I don't think there is even a debate that Byrne should be in the wider squad ahead of Keatley. I think he's very good, very composed, he may not have the x factor of Carbery or Sexton but he seems to be growing with every game.

Yeah it's a no brainer for me also, but Joe might be looking for something different. We've seen it too many times so it's one I wouldn't want to call even if the answer seems straight forward.

I wonder how good Keatley would look if he was 10 for Leinster at the moment

He get's a good platform often enough from the Munster pack. He's a good player ball in hand but he is inaccurate from the boot and the tee and doesn't manage a game brilliantly. He's been the same through several coaches and packs of varying strength so I presume at this stage he is what he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Probably need a better haircut, touch of well groomed stubble, hint of fake tan and a very bright pair of boots. He'd definitely look like a leinster back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I think that's a fair point. Keatley is a great player when things are going well and when he's getting a good platform. However, any sort of adversity and he crumbles. He was imperious against Leicester in Thomond but a week later he was very ropey, and he was poor on Stephen's Day. He won't get an armchair ride in the Six Nations so he's not an option.

BTW I don't think Byrne is that much better, but he's got a lot of scope to improve. Keatley doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Hooker could be a concern. James Tracy was holding his wrist coming off the field last night. Niall Scannell is injured again.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭determinations

Hooker could be a concern. James Tracy was holding his wrist coming off the field last night. Niall Scannell is injured again.

Herring looked to be holding his back quite a bit last night too, hopefully it's nothing more than a knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Given Kilcoyne and Ryan struggled with our second and third choice props last night, and Bealham has had a very strong run recently including a try in the RDS, it will be interesting to see what is done with the props. I get there is a lot of hype around Porter, but I am not sure I see the hype being realised in this moment. A strong run against a brutal Ulster side doesn't say too much ultimately. Perhaps we will see a bit of rotation with props, who knows.

I think Belham deserves it on both experience and probably form too given what I’ve seen of him. However Porter more than held his own against Connacht too, so it’s not just yesterday he’s being judged on.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

If Best and Cronin can stay fit we'll be fine. The worry will be if one of them gets injured.

Where's this Cooney for sub scrum half coming from? He's having a grand season especially behind that attractions Ulster pack and can goal kick, but Marmion continues to play well and I think McGrath is the closest thing to Conor Murray that isn't Conor Murray in terms of passing, box-kicking and he's well able to snipe over the line as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 DevonDionne123

Bealham got hammered against Leinster in the scrum, at least 2 penalties against him for collapsing the scrum and No bind
    Might have a got a try but his scrum work isn't great especially at international level

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭stl.ire

Faugheen wrote: »
    If Best and Cronin can stay fit we'll be fine. The worry will be if one of them gets injured.

Where's this Cooney for sub scrum half coming from? He's having a grand season especially behind that attractions Ulster pack and can goal kick, but Marmion continues to play well and I think McGrath is the closest thing to Conor Murray that isn't Conor Murray in terms of passing, box-kicking and he's well able to snipe over the line as well.

I’m sure Joe still has Marmion and MaGrath ahead if Cooney but Cooney is rightfully in the conversation. He’s carrying a disjointed Ulster half back situation, been man of the match in multiple Euro games and he kicks penalties.

And as a taller, more physical 9 who kicks well and is a good but not naturally great passer Cooney is probably the closest to Murray. That will be good and bad for him going forward as he won’t be as much a change of styles from Murray so might not be first choice sub but if Murray gets injured he could benefit as a sub for the other 9s or a direct Murray replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Bealham got hammered against Leinster in the scrum, at least 2 penalties against him for collapsing the scrum and No bind
    Might have a got a try but his scrum work isn't great especially at international level

He didn't get hammered and even Reggie Corrigan was saying that the penalties could easily have gone against Leinster. When Reggie is saying it against Leinster...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 39 DevonDionne123

its_phil wrote: »
    He didn't get hammered and even Reggie Corrigan was saying that the penalties could easily have gone against Leinster. When Reggie is saying it against Leinster...:eek:

Please don't use Reginald as a credible source to be judging scrum outcomes by...
    And Bealham was hammered, at least 2 penalties against him I can remember for no bind and not scrummaging straight
    And no disrespect to Ed Bryne he's Leinsters 3rd choice loose head that was on top of him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Please don't use Reginald as a credible source to be judging scrum outcomes by...
    And Bealham was hammered, at least 2 penalties against him I can remember for no bind and not scrummaging straight
    And no disrespect to Ed Bryne he's Leinsters 3rd choice loose head that was on top of him

Connacht's scrum is on top more often than not in games played, very rarely dominated. Do you think Bealham is being carried by Buckley and Delahunt/McCartney/Heffernan or??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Well my own opinion is that Byrne was pulling Bealham down illegally.. I'll also take the words of a former international prop before I take most of anyone's analysis around here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement