Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread VIII - ** MOD NOTE POST #4781 **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Humiliation for South Africa. Mr Shcmidt, get TOH in, and you have the team to win RWC

• Registered Users Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

connachta wrote: »
    Humiliation for South Africa. Mr Shcmidt, get TOH in, and you have the team to win RWC

Listen Tiernan, just stop :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Chrisht please stawp

wp_rathead wrote: »

Chrisht please stawp
    I've enjoyed the game. Kearney wasn't good, let's be honest, but gosh 38 points to South Africa!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I've enjoyed the game. Kearney wasn't good, let's be honest, but gosh 38 points to South Africa!
    Yawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

wp_rathead wrote: »
    LoneLinearAddax-max-1mb.gif

What's the gif from or what does it mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

On the train home, half empty cos the scanger ball in on, no SW Passes!

Never seen an RSA team so poor!

That tackle by Bundee...

Great win for Ireland! 2023

SA didnt get a whiff of the irish tryline. Kearney was solid. Thats what the coach wants.

You're just embarrassing yourself now.

Burkie1203 wrote: »

SA  didnt get a whiff of the irish tryline. Kearney was solid. Thats what the coach wants.

You're just embarrassing yourself now.
    He wasn't solid at all. Lost every meters he could.
    But let's move on.
    Great win!

He wasn't solid at all. Lost every meters he could.
    But let's move on.
    Great win!

Well you obviously didnt watch the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭durthacht

Great win. As far as I know that was Ireland's biggest ever win over SA (35 points) as the next biggest were both 17 point wins at home in Nov 2006 and Nov 2014. Otherwise we have had only one score victories in our four other wins over them. We now have seven wins in total from twenty six tests.

38 points is the most we have ever scored against them, and 3 is the fewest we have ever conceded.

We have now won 6 of our last 10 matches against them (since Nov 04), having previously won only 1 of our first 16 games against them. Aggregate score in the last 10 matches is +67 to Ireland, and the previous 16 matches it was South Africa by +190 points.

Our average points scored in our last ten matches is 23 points per match up from 9 points per match average in our first sixteen matches against them. In our last ten matches we concede just 16 points per match on average, down from 21 points conceded on average in the first sixteen matches.

Either way tonight is the culmination of what has been a huge turnaround in our record and performance against SA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Kearney was solid.
    Can't criticise him for the way he played, it's obviously what he's being coached to do, field the kicks and run them back into contact so your pack can retain the possession and your half-backs can set up the next play.

It would be like complaining about a soccer goalkeeper for just stopping shots and kicking the ball long, if he doesn't dribble up the pitch and cross the ball in a few times it's a bad performance.

That match wasn't much good for appraising anyone really, the Springboks were very one-dimensional and our pack dominated the set piece, and our backs did well under the high ball and converted some good possession and territory into tries.

Thornley saying Joe reported no injuries in his poat match conference

Hope the side against Fiji is full of inexperienced players,

Kilcoyne, Herring, Ryan,
    Ruddock, Dillane, Ryan, Leavy,
    Conan,

Marmion, Carbery,
    D Kearney, McCloskey, Farrell, Byrne,
    Sweetnam

Bench:
    Tracy, McGrath, Porter, Treadwell, O'Brien, McGrath, Keatley, Conway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,796 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

You're embarrassing yourself now lad. Kearney was good tonight. Very solid and played well. The one point where he caught the ball by being absolutely inch perfect to the spot was supreme...just looked so comfortable. Thought he was one of the better players out of a good team effort tonight.

Kilcoyne, Herring, Ryan,
    Conan,

Marmion, Carbery,
    Sweetnam

Bench:
    Not too full. Need some experience in there to steady the ship. It worked so well today, a little more would be good for Fiji, but inexperienced guys need help getting settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

What's the gif from or what does it mean?

Anyone?

Kilcoyne, Herring, Ryan,
    Conan,

Marmion, Carbery,
    Sweetnam

Bench:
    Agree

Anyone?
    I assume it means whoosh. As in somethig going over your head. Only in that case it's an orbital manoeuvre.

A bit nerdy if true. :P

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »

You're embarrassing yourself now lad. Kearney was good tonight. Very solid and played well. The one point where he caught the ball by being absolutely inch perfect to the spot was supreme...just looked so comfortable. Thought he was one of the better players out of a good team effort tonight.
    Look, any time he tried to run the ball he was smashed and Ireland was threatened to lose the ball.

Conway/Stockdale did well though.

Agree
    I think it should be noted that you agree with a team without Tiernan O'Halloran. :P

I have to. He's not in the squad :p

I have too. He's not in the squad :p
    The spelling of the third word in your sentence changes the intended meaning completely. :p

Look, any time he tried to run the ball he was smashed and Ireland was threatened to lose the ball.

Conway/Stockdale did well though.

He made good ground a few times, got pinged once when the support was a bit soft. He did precisely what his coach asked of him. 38-3 tells its own story.

He put in two fantastic kicks to relieve pressure also which would be soul destroying for the opposition.

You dont like his selection. But if your going to criticise a players performance at least come up with something which actually happened and dont be making sh1t up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

South African were brutal today - what were those 2 south africans doing when sweetman was on the ground after collecting from carbery. They looked like 2 men who had never played rugby in their lives- they actually just stood there and did nothing. Bizarre.

Ireland are 4th in the world, that number is realistic, the real test is this 6 nations and can joe Schmidt show he has closed the gap on England.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    He made good ground a few times, got pinged once when the support was a bit soft. He did precisely what his coach asked of him. 38-3 tells its own story.

He put in two fantastic kicks to relieve pressure also which would be soul destroying for the opposition.

You dont like his selection. But if your going to criticise a players performance at least come up with something which actually happened and dont be making sh1t up.
    That kick was unbelievable. As was the pass from Murray. Completely took the wind out of the Bok's sails. Back to the half way line with yiz. :D

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I have too. He's not in the squad :p
    The spelling of the third word in your sentence changes the intended meaning completely. :p
    Sorry pure typo

Sorry pure typo
    No need to apologise for agreeing with me, :pac: :D

• Advertisement

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Not too full. Need some experience in there to steady the ship. It worked so well today, a little more would be good for Fiji, but inexperienced guys need help getting settled.

I really want to beat Argentina so I'd save anyone that would have put in a big shift.
    Definitely would wrap in cotton wool the entire starting 15 if possible.

With Tommy O'Donnell injured perhaps Jordi Murphy could be given a call up to the bench to rest the backrows that started.

Other than that we should trust our depth to deliver a win against Fiji.

Anyone puts in a big performance could put pressure on the starting 15.

We are spoiled with the strength in depth we have, and we should use this match with Fiji to really test it.

I can't think of a better opportunity to test them.

I know the argument is there to mix players with experienced players but I'm impatient to see what they could do.
    If they are all coached well enough they should be able to deliver the same type of performance that we saw tonight,
    A lot of those guys have something to prove.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement