Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Syrian Refugees

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

JaCrispy wrote: »
    As an aside, we have 2,700 homeless children and 5000 homeless adults.

http://www.thejournal.ie/homeless-figures-2-3409364-May2017/

Who gets priority in your fluffy utopia? Refugees or homeless children?. Serious question.

Isn't a refugee simply a homeless person from another country ?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

sunny2004 wrote: »

Yes that a very very simple way to define a refugee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

For those who said they would happily give their time to the refugees, here is a list of volunteer positions.

http://volunteercarlow.ie/index.php/volunteers/search-for-opportunities

For some reason the link is not working properly. Just select refugees from the drop down menu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

sunny2004 wrote: »

A person who probably had a home and relatives taken from them.

Most of the Syrians I have spoken to have told me of cousins who were killed, houses blown up etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭EmoCourt

As an aside, we have 2,700 homeless children and 5000 homeless adults.

A headline figure which doesn't stand up to closer scrutiny. These days homeless doesn't actually mean homeless. In many cases it means 'refused offers of housing under HAP because they'd lose their place on the Council housing list'. It can also mean 'refused Council housing because i didn't like something about the place'. It can also mean 'i feel entitled to live within the M50'.

Cool it with the 'homeless crisis' rubbish - it's mostly one-sided spin.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/over-2-000-social-housing-offers-turned-down-last-year-1.2414025

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/houses-turned-down-for-spurious-reasons-393972.html

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/20-families-reject-council-housing-offers-three-times-234294.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

EmoCourt wrote: »
    A headline figure which doesn't stand up to closer scrutiny. These days homeless doesn't actually mean homeless. In many cases it means 'refused offers of housing under HAP because they'd lose their place on the Council housing list'. It can also mean 'refused Council housing because i didn't like something about the place'. It can also mean 'i feel entitled to live within the M50'.

Cool it with the 'homeless crisis' rubbish - it's mostly one-sided spin.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/over-2-000-social-housing-offers-turned-down-last-year-1.2414025

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/houses-turned-down-for-spurious-reasons-393972.html

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/20-families-reject-council-housing-offers-three-times-234294.html

Well people should cool it with the whole Syrian refugees being highly educated/Doctors/Surgeons spin. Also calling anyone who questions immigration a racist doesn't help either

• Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Has pat deering said anything about this issue does anyone know

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Well people should cool it with the whole Syrian refugees being highly educated/Doctors/Surgeons spin. Also calling anyone who questions immigration a racist doesn't help either

its very much a 'complain now' issue, regardless of what we as a country have agreed to. Responsibility is an issue here. we made agreements, so its up to us to keep those agreements. As I said earlier - bit late complaining now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Owryan wrote: »
    For those who said they would happily give their time to the refugees, here is a list of volunteer positions.

http://volunteercarlow.ie/index.php/volunteers/search-for-opportunities

For some reason the link is not working properly. Just select refugees from the drop down menu

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

Can you back up any of those comments with actual facts? And when you say "welcome them", how much of your income are you willing to give away to help them?

We already give a portion of our income to support these via general taxation.

As someone who lived in England for many years, I find it interesting that many of the anti immigration comments being directed here would have been similar to those made about Irish people in England in the 70's

• Advertisement

We already give a portion of our income to support these via general taxation.

As someone who lived in England for many years, I find it interesting that many of the anti immigration comments being directed here would have been similar to those made about Irish people in England in the 70's

The difference is that Irish & English are very similar. People living their lives by a book written centuries ago does not work with western society

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

The difference is that Irish & English are very similar. People living their lives by a book written centuries ago does not work with western society

Lots of Christians and Jews live their lives by centuries old books too!

And we don't have to look back that far to remember how badly some people, such as unmarried mothers, were treated because they didn't live up to so called ideals.

Education and exposure to western values will eventually have an effect on the Muslim society too, some for the better, some worse just as our culture has changed.

Lots of Christians and Jews live their lives by centuries old books too!

And we don't have to look back that far to remember how badly some people, such as unmarried mothers, were treated because they didn't live up to so called ideals.

Education and exposure to western values will eventually have an effect on the Muslim society too, some for the better, some worse just as our culture has changed.

Yes like its had an effect in Sweden, France, Belgium the UK etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Yes like its had an effect in Sweden, France, Belgium the UK etc

If you're referring to Sweden becoming known as "The Rape Capital of the World" then that's fake news.

Reported rapes (bear in mind that means not proven; it's very easy to report something & I'm not trying to do down someone who believes they have been raped) DROPPED from 6,697 in 2014 to 5,918 in 2015 (2015s figure was similar to that of 09).

2016s stats are provisional but indicate and increase to 6,570; higher than in 2015 yes, but still lower than 2014.

Also since 05 there's been an increase in rape reports; that's 2005 remember.

Refugee crisis began during Arab Spring in 2011 but has increased/worsened/deteriorate in the last 3-4 years.

Rape has also increased in Sweden because of new legal definitions.

Rape reports are higher in Sweden (47/100k) than Portugal (3/100k) but again that's down to definitions in both countries.

Rapes in Sweden are from point of contact with Police, not from conviction which skews figures somewhat.

To bring this issue back local, have we had m/any cases locally of refugees committing crimes of any sort for the opposition on here to be so pointed?

I know some of the, by now, "O'Rohingyans" and to a man, woman & child they're all Muslim yet they've benefited the town.

Local cricket club'd been mothballed; thanks to their input it's got going again in the rugby club grounds (though Carlow College have cut them some slack by offering some land on campus for 5 years starting this Summer) since 2011 and they've now got 2 Teams in Leinster League.

The club sent up a bus to the recent ODIs v NZ & Bangladesh in Clontarf and to the NZ v Bangladesh match also and club members were donning Ireland tracksuit tops.

#Integrated

There's now 36 Nationalities in CCC incl. Irish, English, Burmese, Bangladeshi , Afghans, Sri Lankan, Nairobi, India, Pakistan, NZ, Australia srl. across all age-groups.

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    If you're referring to Sweden becoming known as "The Rape Capital of the World" then that's fake news.

Reported rapes (bear in mind that means not proven; it's very easy to report something & I'm not trying to do down someone who believes they have been raped) DROPPED from 6,697 in 2014 to 5,918 in 2015 (2015s figure was similar to that of 09).

2016s stats are provisional but indicate and increase to 6,570; higher than in 2015 yes, but still lower than 2014.

Also since 05 there's been an increase in rape reports; that's 2005 remember.

Refugee crisis began during Arab Spring in 2011 but has increased/worsened/deteriorate in the last 3-4 years.

Rape has also increased in Sweden because of new legal definitions.

Rape reports are higher in Sweden (47/100k) than Portugal (3/100k) but again that's down to definitions in both countries.

Rapes in Sweden are from point of contact with Police, not from conviction which skews figures somewhat.

To bring this issue back local, have we had m/any cases locally of refugees committing crimes of any sort for the opposition on here to be so pointed?

I know some of the, by now, "O'Rohingyans" and to a man, woman & child they're all Muslim yet they've benefited the town.

Local cricket club'd been mothballed; thanks to their input it's got going again in the rugby club grounds (though Carlow College have cut them some slack by offering some land on campus for 5 years starting this Summer) since 2011 and they've now got 2 Teams in Leinster League.

The club sent up a bus to the recent ODIs v NZ & Bangladesh in Clontarf and to the NZ v Bangladesh match also and club members were donning Ireland tracksuit tops.

#Integrated

There's now 36 Nationalities in CCC incl. Irish, English, Burmese, Bangladeshi , Afghans, Sri Lankan, Nairobi, India, Pakistan, NZ, Australia srl. across all age-groups.

I was actually referring to tests showing that 76% of " child refugees " were in fact over 18 years old. In 1998 there were 530,000 immigrants from the rest of the world by 2005 that number would have increased. So to say the rape capital of the world is fake news is wrong. You cant deny that they have had problems along with any other country that has taken in thousands of refugees. We have been lucky that the majority of immigrants who have come here have come for the right reason & not because they were forced to or as a stepping stone to getting to the UK.
    Its great that the cricket club is doing well & I dont think anyone has a problem with immigration being done in the right way. The problem is when you have thousands from certain countries who have problems with each other, they bring those problems with them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

#Integrated

That's great to hear, so 2 clubs in Carlow now and none in Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

That's great to hear, so 2 clubs in Carlow now and none in Kilkenny

Without taking this off on a tangent, there is, or was up to very recently a Mt. Juliet C.C. in Thomastown.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Without taking this off on a tangent, there is, or was up to very recently a Mt. Juliet C.C. in Thomastown.

Yeah (I used to be a member :) ) but they didn't play any league cricket, just friendlies since they were more of a social cricket club.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

hmm, as opposed to western society which is all based around a book that was written even further back??

the logic of your argument also suggests that all the Irish people in Dubai better think about coming home

hmm, as opposed to western society which is all based around a book that was written even further back??

the logic of your argument also suggests that all the Irish people in Dubai better think about coming home

The west has evolved over time the middle east has not apart from a few places in the oil countries. Ill let this guy tell you why

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Right, enough of the off topic stuff. Locking the thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement