Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Syrian Refugees

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭CarlowPerth

road_high wrote: »
    maccored wrote: »
    that's a weird logic you have there.

the government get the blame for a lack of housing. Maybe you think that's the refugees problem ? As for refugees coming to Ireland, you may take that up with the EU.

It is their problem...obviously if they are coming here they're clearly adding to an already overburdened system. It's not our states function to house a and other "refugees" from all corners of the globe. As a nation you simply can't take on all the problems of other nations.
    The govt never housed me or any of my family- I always viewed that as my own personal responsibility in life, as do all my family. The notion of the state providing and paying for that is an alien concept to me. Thank god
    I was just wondering how alien the concept of living in a war zone is to you? How dare these people run away from the Bombs of every major country in the world and the most evil terrorist organisation in history. Should stay where they were! :wassat:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I was just wondering how alien the concept of living in a war zone is to you? How dare these people run away from the Bombs of every major country in the world and the most evil terrorist organisation in history. Should stay where they were! :wassat:

Indeed. Must be why they were compaining of being housed (for free) in Ballaghedereen then- that trauma appeared even greater.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

It is their problem...obviously if they are coming here they're clearly adding to an already overburdened system. It's not our states function to house a and other "refugees" from all corners of the globe. As a nation you simply can't take on all the problems of other nations.
    The govt never housed me or any of my family- I always viewed that as my own personal responsibility in life, as do all my family. The notion of the state providing and paying for that is an alien concept to me. Thank god

Hope you werent one of those that voted yes to the lisbon treaty . It IS our states function, as part of the EU, to adhere to refugee plans made by the EU. The problem is this country is theres far too much of this 'im all right jack' crap floating around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Hope you werent one of those that voted yes to the lisbon treaty . It IS our states function, as part of the EU, to adhere to refugee plans made by the EU. The problem is this country is theres far too much of this 'im all right jack' crap floating around

No, the people of Ireland have been screwed too much over the last 10 years. We start getting back to our feet again & we get stuck with taking in " refugees " so more strain on the economy, HSE etc. If Merkel hadn't opened her mouth & invited them all over we wouldn't need to be going through this. The leaders of the other countries should have said to her " you invited them so you sort them out " but the likes of Enda is scared of his boss.

Help!!!! wrote: »
    No, the people of Ireland have been screwed too much over the last 10 years. We start getting back to our feet again & we get stuck with taking in " refugees " so more strain on the economy, HSE etc. If Merkel hadn't opened her mouth & invited them all over we wouldn't need to be going through this. The leaders of the other countries should have said to her " you invited them so you sort them out " but the likes of Enda is scared of his boss.

screwed by the people we voted in - ergo screwed by ourselves. BTW the Lisbon Treaty in 2009 covered refugees - thats on its way to a decade ago

• Advertisement

The problem is there's far too many do-gooders knocking around who want to force more welfare state living Refugee/Muslims on the rest of us.
    Just because we sign up to the EU, doesn't mean we can't question any of the policies involved.

The problem is there's far too many do-gooders knocking around who want to force more welfare state living Refugee/Muslims on the rest of us.
    Just because we sign up to the EU, doesn't mean we can't question any of the policies involved.

do gooders you say? People with empathy who give a ****e is what i'd call them.

Plus, its not like we signed up for the Eu and they then made up all these rules about immigration or refugees. We all had a choice in it. bit late complaining about it now

who want to force more welfare state living Refugee/Muslims on the rest of us.

ah right - i see your agenda now. Nice how you stuck muslims in there. How about mexicans? Shall I call you donald?

do gooders you say? People with empathy who give a ****e is what i'd call them.

Plus, its not like we signed up for the Eu and they then made up all these rules about immigration or refugees. We all had a choice in it. bit late complaining about it now

But this situation wasnt happening or people would never have even thought about it when the rules were written so its a bit of a lame point to bring up.
    Do you have kids?? Wife?? See what happened in Manchester??
    Most people would like to see some assurances on security for the people who are living in this country first. Would also prefer to see the homeless sorted out first also

But this situation wasnt happening or people would never have even thought about it when the rules were written so its a bit of a lame point to bring up.
    Most people would like to see some assurances on security for the people who are living in this country first. Would also prefer to see the homeless sorted out first also

What kind of assurances would you like?
    That they are vetted & interviewed before they come?
    & why is it one or the other? Can we not sort out homelessness while taking in a few refugees? How many homeless is there in roscommon or carlow?

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    What kind of assurances would you like?
    That they are vetted & interviewed before they come?
    & why is it one or the other? Can we not sort out homelessness while taking in a few refugees? How many homeless is there in roscommon or carlow?

Well how many refugees should we take in? & will their families be coming to join up?? Where do we get the money to take care of both?? More taxes?
    Do you have a spare room?? Maybe you could take a couple....problem is I already know your answer

Yes I have kids, yes i seen what happened in manchester. whats that go to do with refugees or Muslims? Your first sentence makes no sense to me at all

Well how many refugees should we take in? & will their families be coming to join up?? Where do we get the money to take care of both?? More taxes?
    Do you have a spare room?? Maybe you could take a couple....problem is I already know your answer

Do you?
    What's my answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I know I had plenty of family in the UK in 60's/70's/80's and 90's and I lived there myself for a time when people from this Island were blowing up cities in the UK yet the UK didn't ban the people of Ireland from entering the UK and the majority of the peoples in the UK didn't blame the the people of Ireland for those few who were terrorists.

We will get the but but but times have changed and they have and it will be a very sad day for Ireland a Country that it's people for many reasons needed to move to Countries around the world if we close or borders to peoples who need it in return.

I will say I do have an issue with the open border policies when it comes to EU citizens moving here to benefit from our social welfare system again that is a different issue though as we have benefited from being members of the EU and we the people of Ireland voted to be part of that system.

I know I had plenty of family in the UK in 60's/70's/80's and 90's and I lived there myself for a time when people from this Island were blowing up cities in the UK yet the UK didn't ban the people of Ireland from entering the UK and the majority of the peoples in the UK didn't blame the the people of Ireland for those few who were terrorists.

We will get the but but but times have changed and they have and it will be a very sad day for Ireland a Country that it's people for many reasons needed to move to Countries around the world if we close or borders to peoples who need it in return.

I will say I do have an issue with the open border policies when it comes to EU citizens moving here to benefit from our social welfare system again that is a different issue though as we have benefited from being members of the EU and we the people of Ireland voted to be part of that system.

Cue the IRA what-aboutery...does it every get old for those defending Muslim terrorism. How many should we let in...unvettted...0.5 million or 1 million? Would you feel better then?

Yes I have kids, yes i seen what happened in manchester. whats that go to do with refugees or Muslims? Your first sentence makes no sense to me at all

The MUSLIM that did it was a 2nd generation "Refugee" from Libya- is that close enough link for you? Or is it all a coincidence like all other Muslim terror in Europe?

Do you?
    What's my answer?

None....the state will provide for them

If people new that Europe would get invaded by hundreds of thousands from Africa & the Middle East I think they would have voted a hell of a lot differently. Its bad enough we've had to pay for the bankers fcuk up now we to pay for another countries fcuk up. I'd like to see the homeless taken care of first, I would like to see the cost of living come down but it wont if we take in hundreds/thousands more to go on benefits

Just heard today that at the time of the troubles there were about 100 potential Irish terrorists being monitored by MI5 at the minute theres at least 3,500 potential Islamic terrorists.

Just heard today that at the time of the troubles there were about 100 potential Irish terrorists being monitored by MI5 at the minute theres at least 3,500 potential Islamic terrorists.

Lol
    Don't know where you heard that but you can bet it's not true!
    There was a hell of a lot more Irish being monitored than that

• Advertisement

The MUSLIM that did it was a 2nd generation "Refugee" from Libya- is that close enough link for you? Or is it all a coincidence like all other Muslim terror in Europe?

"a 2nd generation "Refugee" from" - in otherwords not a refugee but a british citizen born in the UK. Give it up. You are tarring a ton of people with the same big ugly brush, all because you dont seem to have any concept of democracy or how and why ireland is taking in refugees. You sound like a tabloid newspaper headline

If people new that Europe would get invaded by hundreds of thousands from Africa & the Middle East I think they would have voted a hell of a lot differently. Its bad enough we've had to pay for the bankers fcuk up now we to pay for another countries fcuk up. I'd like to see the homeless taken care of first, I would like to see the cost of living come down but it wont if we take in hundreds/thousands more to go on benefits

ah right, the EU and world refugee issue is a new thing? No offense, but have you any idea whatsoever about the issues you are debating? I honestly dont think you do. how did the syrian people 'fcuk up' btw?

ah right, the EU and world refugee issue is a new thing? No offense, but have you any idea whatsoever about the issues you are debating? I honestly dont think you do. how did the syrian people 'fcuk up' btw?

Its never been as bad as this though. Have there been mass migration like this before?? No!! Syrian people didnt fcuk up but the countries that decided they wanted Assad out not to mention Hussain & Gaddaffi did but we have to pay for it. Not to mention Merkel inviting them all to Germany & when it gets too much for her she wants other countries to take the slack

Lol
    Don't know where you heard that but you can bet it's not true!
    There was a hell of a lot more Irish being monitored than that

Here you go forward to 1:25 but I'm sure you'll have a reason to not believe it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1772ySJFzTM

Farage?
    The man who told the UK they would save billions by not being in Europe? They could spend it on themselves?
    & then as soon as they're out admits it wasn't true?

Or the farage who blames Europe for 'stoking up Irish nationalism' ? Sorry, if I don't just take everything he says as fact.

Farage?
    The man who told the UK they would save billions by not being in Europe? They could spend it on themselves?
    & then as soon as they're out admits it wasn't true?

Or the farage who blames Europe for 'stoking up Irish nationalism' ? Sorry, if I don't just take everything he says as fact.

Maybe actually watch it from the time I stated as it wasnt him who said it.....but of course you have to find a reason

Do people really think these refugees ( if we get actual Syrians ) will fit into Irish society? I'm sure they've seen so much atrocity that the scars will stay with them forever. What about when they grow up will they blame the west? Will Ireland feel the brunt of any that want revenge? What do we do with the people who went to join ISIS? Any returning to Europe have been told to wage war in Europe by ISIS so does that mean we will soon see suicide bombings here? What about the refugees in the west of Ireland, their already complaining about not getting enough money, wanting to be moved to a city. I thought if you came from a war torn country you'd be happy to be alive & appreciate what another country is doing for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

For those who don't want refugees here, be it Ireland, or Carlow (and indeed Kilkenny in due course also) have you ever met or spoken to or had any dealings with any?

I'm friends with a Sri Lankan gentleman, a Tamil Eelam refugee who went through our DP Centres, spent 4 years in them and his experience was a very negative one; that doesn't mean he's not appreciative of his lot, for he is (oh, and he works by the way having achieved a 2.5 Day T?S Scheme placement within the L.A. so that's another bubble burst no doubt; he actually volunteers there also and has done for quite a period); it's just yet another blot on our copybook when it comes to treating the most vulnerable with respect & decency & dignity.

He is willing to meet with anyone here who has concerns about refugees and to discuss his case, his experience of the DP Centres and the prejudices he's faced in terms of gaining employment in the private sector since being awarded refugee status.

He's faced Islamophobia both here & in Waterford and Dublin; the fact he's not a Muslim doesn't seem to bother those who've expressed their vitriol toward/s him.....

Have you expressed your concerns, fears, worries, prejudices, hatred, venom to any of them directly over the past say, 40-50 years dating back to when we began taking in some of the Vietnamese boat people to when we received some from the Bosnian war/genocide to when the now O'Rohingyans were given sanctuary here?

Have you spoken to any of the Rohingyan Refugees in particular, some of whom attend the local Primary, National & Secondary Schools as well as the local IT/IofT?

This can be arranged if reqd. Again, PM me on this one.

Some of the Rohingya Refugees are now as Irish as those of you reading this by the way; Irish & Muslims......shock horror!

We had an Intl. Open Day/Celebration of Cultural Diversity in an Gairdin Beo on Saturday the 1st of October from 10 or 11am to 5pm organised by Carlow Integration Forum under the auspices of the CCDP/Carlow Co. Development Partnership; the figures locally are 34-36 Nationalities in the county of all religions, faiths, belief systems & none.

Each refugee intake is different; there are 65 Million displaced people worldwide of all sorts of different nationalities, faith systems, cultures and skin pigmentations.

They don't want YOUR job, YOUR welfare, YOUR women.

They don't want to rape or sexually molest or abuse YOUR children.

They want peace, a chance to progress, to make a change and be the difference.

Here in Carlow many already are doing this; the cricket club which has played out of Carlow Rugby Club since 2011 is now relocating to the grounds of Carlow College/St. Pats for 5 years.

CCC had been abandoned, mothballed until 2011; now there's 3 Teams in Leinster League & approximately 36 Nationalities involved from Bangladesh/i to Burmese, Afgahn to Nairobi, Irish to Pakistani to English to Australian to Indian, South African & New Zealand.

Put quite simply, this would not be the case were it not for the 68-69 Rohingyan Refugees we received in 09.

Those on here, who and one doesn't have to dig too deeply, seem to equate Muslims with Terrorists in much the same way the Irish were equated with the IRA (and still are), have you ever approached the Imams in either of the local Mosques at Friday Prayer Times or on Sunday afternoons?

Is the fact I'm telling you now we've 2 Mosques in itself a disappointment, a shock?

Would you know where either are?

Given we've the Soldiers of Odin Patrol Leader (Portuguese man & his Finnish female partner) living here in Carlow (names/address by PM only) who've now renamed themselves as Clann Worldwide --> https://www.facebook.com/clanneireanndefenceassociation/ but who's M.O. continues unabated to be the same old rhetoric of Anti-Islam, Anti-Immigrant (among his/their other Right Wing ideologies such as anti womens rights, anti choice, anti LGBTQIA+ etc.) and his erroneous & ignorant of the facts (!) insistence in a recent post on Saturday the 20th of May using the Nationalist report "While families are forced to live in appalling conditions,the local authorities are going to pay to owners of the Courthouse hotel millions to "resettle" Syrians.." I'm not publicly naming the Mosques locations on here.

My fear is they'd be targeted if their locations were known; similarly that our Halal Shops (multiple, plural, 2 that I know of) would be targeted) and the Halal Takeaways also.

With Ramadan beginning this weekend & Eid Al-Iftar following on for that at the end of it, perhaps now is the time to approach the Mosques and ask questions of those who attend them, incl. a local Scottish lady I know?

St. Catherines Community Centre, like they did in 09 will be to the forefront of integration programmes & policies this + next year when the 80 Syrians (incl. the 40 children....or terrorists depending on ones agenda here.....) arrive and have received funding for this project.

Ends.............for now....

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    For those who don't want refugees here, be it Ireland, or Carlow (and indeed Kilkenny in due course also) have you ever met or spoken to or had any dealings with any?

I'm friends with a Sri Lankan gentleman, a Tamil Eelam refugee who went through our DP Centres, spent 4 years in them and his experience was a very negative one; that doesn't mean he's not appreciative of his lot, for he is (oh, and he works by the way having achieved a 2.5 Day T?S Scheme placement within the L.A. so that's another bubble burst no doubt; he actually volunteers there also and has done for quite a period); it's just yet another blot on our copybook when it comes to treating the most vulnerable with respect & decency & dignity.

He is willing to meet with anyone here who has concerns about refugees and to discuss his case, his experience of the DP Centres and the prejudices he's faced in terms of gaining employment in the private sector since being awarded refugee status.

He's faced Islamophobia both here & in Waterford and Dublin; the fact he's not a Muslim doesn't seem to bother those who've expressed their vitriol toward/s him.....

Have you expressed your concerns, fears, worries, prejudices, hatred, venom to any of them directly over the past say, 40-50 years dating back to when we began taking in some of the Vietnamese boat people to when we received some from the Bosnian war/genocide to when the now O'Rohingyans were given sanctuary here?

Have you spoken to any of the Rohingyan Refugees in particular, some of whom attend the local Primary, National & Secondary Schools as well as the local IT/IofT?

This can be arranged if reqd. Again, PM me on this one.

Some of the Rohingya Refugees are now as Irish as those of you reading this by the way; Irish & Muslims......shock horror!

We had an Intl. Open Day/Celebration of Cultural Diversity in an Gairdin Beo on Saturday the 1st of October from 10 or 11am to 5pm organised by Carlow Integration Forum under the auspices of the CCDP/Carlow Co. Development Partnership; the figures locally are 34-36 Nationalities in the county of all religions, faiths, belief systems & none.

Each refugee intake is different; there are 65 Million displaced people worldwide of all sorts of different nationalities, faith systems, cultures and skin pigmentations.

They don't want YOUR job, YOUR welfare, YOUR women.

They don't want to rape or sexually molest or abuse YOUR children.

They want peace, a chance to progress, to make a change and be the difference.

Here in Carlow many already are doing this; the cricket club which has played out of Carlow Rugby Club since 2011 is now relocating to the grounds of Carlow College/St. Pats for 5 years.

CCC had been abandoned, mothballed until 2011; now there's 3 Teams in Leinster League & approximately 36 Nationalities involved from Bangladesh/i to Burmese, Afgahn to Nairobi, Irish to Pakistani to English to Australian to Indian, South African & New Zealand.

Put quite simply, this would not be the case were it not for the 68-69 Rohingyan Refugees we received in 09.

Those on here, who and one doesn't have to dig too deeply, seem to equate Muslims with Terrorists in much the same way the Irish were equated with the IRA (and still are), have you ever approached the Imams in either of the local Mosques at Friday Prayer Times or on Sunday afternoons?

Is the fact I'm telling you now we've 2 Mosques in itself a disappointment, a shock?

Would you know where either are?

Given we've the Soldiers of Odin Patrol Leader (Portuguese man & his Finnish female partner) living here in Carlow (names/address by PM only) who've now renamed themselves as Clann Worldwide --> https://www.facebook.com/clanneireanndefenceassociation/ but who's M.O. continues unabated to be the same old rhetoric of Anti-Islam, Anti-Immigrant (among his/their other Right Wing ideologies such as anti womens rights, anti choice, anti LGBTQIA+ etc.) and his erroneous & ignorant of the facts (!) insistence in a recent post on Saturday the 20th of May using the Nationalist report "While families are forced to live in appalling conditions,the local authorities are going to pay to owners of the Courthouse hotel millions to "resettle" Syrians.." I'm not publicly naming the Mosques locations on here.

My fear is they'd be targeted if their locations were known; similarly that our Halal Shops (multiple, plural, 2 that I know of) would be targeted) and the Halal Takeaways also.

With Ramadan beginning this weekend & Eid Al-Iftar following on for that at the end of it, perhaps now is the time to approach the Mosques and ask questions of those who attend them, incl. a local Scottish lady I know?

St. Catherines Community Centre, like they did in 09 will be to the forefront of integration programmes & policies this + next year when the 80 Syrians (incl. the 40 children....or terrorists depending on ones agenda here.....) arrive and have received funding for this project.

Ends.............for now....

I'm sorry that your friend gets hassle on the streets by ignorant people.
    I dont think anyones fully against immigration, at least I'm not. My wife is an immigrant. I was an immigrant when I lived in the UK. There are some immigrants who go to countries & do all they can to fit in a good example is your friend & the Filipino community. I spent alot of time around Muslims in the UK, they find it harder to fit in because they are so staunch in their religion. They expect the country/community to change for them to fit in & not the other way around. Which can cause problems with the local community especially when liberals/do goodys etc start bending over backwards for them. Lots of the women wont learn the language as well as the older generations when they come here. They end up setting up their own communities by buying up property & slowly push out any one else. I dont want Ireland to make the same mistake as the UK/France/Belgium/Sweden etc. Even Sweden have gotten fed up with them that they are looking to deport 80,000.
    We've already had the guy up in Trinity calling on state schools to accommodate Islamic beliefs, the refugees over in the west complaining about the benefits being not enough & they should be in a city. Have you seen what happened to where groups of them were housed in areas in Europe when they didnt get what they wanted?? They burnt them down after rioting.
    As I said I dont want Ireland to make the same mistakes as other countries

• Advertisement

What way do you want them to fit in exactly? What do you think they should do differently?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement