Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tullamore Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭bennyineire

And the lantern.

Stay the hell away from the Lantern for sure

The Brewery Tap is good pub and does decent pub grub https://www.facebook.com/brewerytaptullamore/

The Tanyard Lane pub is great for craft beer and live musichttps://www.facebook.com/tanyardlanetullamore/

Fergies is a big pub that's good for watching sport (also has a late bar)
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009700513003

Digan's is a decent pub and has a large outdoor bar (also has a late bar) https://www.facebook.com/DigansTullamore/

Eugene Kelly's also another decent pub https://www.facebook.com/eugenekellys.bartullamore?fref=mentions

Hugh Lycnhs is another shout for a nice pint and most weekends has national acts playing live music upstairs (you will have to pay though)
    https://www.facebook.com/Hughlynchs/

The Bridge House - Big super pub with live music/food and late bar but it does get packed late on, Also has a large nightclub called The Palace
    https://www.facebook.com/bridgehousebartullamore/?ref=br_rs
    https://www.facebook.com/palacenightclubtullamore/

Sirrocco's is an Italian restaurant that does good Pizza https://www.facebook.com/siroccosrestaurant/

Their is a new wood-fired Pizza place opening up soon, seemingly in the next 2 weeks (StovePipe Blaze it's called) https://www.facebook.com/GourmetSourdough/

Lana is best for Thai/Asain food
    Blue Apron is a decent restaurant for Irish/European dishes (very good surf and turf) https://www.facebook.com/Lana-Tullamore-Asian-Street-Food-1401503296609554/

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Their is a new wood-fired Pizza place opening up soon, seemingly in the next 2 weeks (StovePipe Blaze it's called) https://www.facebook.com/GourmetSourdough/

Any idea where the pizza place is going to be?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Hard beat the pizza in Macaris as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

tullamore could do with another nightclub

the palace is a joke

loughreys wasnt too bad back in the day

endabob1 wrote: »
    Any idea where the pizza place is going to be?

Harbour street but don't know which building

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Had a nose around Harbour St and didnt spot any location that it might be, except for maybe the old Acorn restaurant. But didnt look like much work going on there if its 2 weeks from opening...

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Had a nose around Harbour St and didnt spot any location that it might be, except for maybe the old Acorn restaurant. But didnt look like much work going on there if its 2 weeks from opening...

That's what I was trying to figure out. It just says Harbour street on the facebook link, but I do think if they are putting in a proper wood fired pizza oven and with everything that goes with having a restaurant, licences' etc... it would make sense to go into a premises that is more or less set up for a food service business

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

akelly02 wrote: »
    tullamore could do with another nightclub

the palace is a joke

loughreys wasnt too bad back in the day

Loughreys wasn't great. Didnt like it at all.

Though I did like #1 so what would I know.

Bring back the Harriers. The Coppers of the Midlands :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Loughreys wasn't great. Didnt like it at all.

Though I did like #1 so what would I know.

Bring back the Harriers. The Coppers of the Midlands :)

Loughreys was a kip, full of young ones and bowsies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Need to get my suit dry cleaned? Where is best place to go in tullamore ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Need to get my suit dry cleaned? Where is best place to go in tullamore ?

I use A One in Market Square, find them very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭passremarkable

I use A One in Market Square, find them very good.

Perfect thanks, not overly familiar , where is that beside?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Which is the best barber in Tullamore? Been going to the one in the Bridge Centre opposite the post office the last few times but wondering what the others around town are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Which is the best barber in Tullamore? Been going to the one in the Bridge Centre opposite the post office the last few times but wondering what the others around town are like.

Hairy barber is decent been going to the guy with tattoos and he does a decent cut good chat out of him too...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I went to get a haircut once in the boston barber at the bridge centre. Got absolutely scalped by a young land who hadn't a breeze what he was at. Walked past it another day and seen a little person working in there, he couldn't actually reach the top of the lad's head, you'd think he'd stand on something to make it easier, but no. Basically that place is a satirical barber shop. Recently I went to the Turkish place on Patrick St. A young Irish lad came out and sat me down, I was skeptical because I was expecting someone a bit older and Turkish, but actually he was very good, I was very pleased with the outcome, if not a little bit on the rough side when cutting.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

medoc wrote: »

I can relate to at least 18 of them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

That list needs a list of shops that are no longer there, or at least in the same guise.
    Elliffes, Phil O'Reillys, Gallaghers, Tuttys, Jimmy Carters beside the Hole in the Wall, Barry Keegan's, McCanns,.
    What about Church St? I think there were 3-4 shops between Hayes' Cross and the corner of Henry St? Anyone remember Mai Burke's!! What about the clothes shop where Supermacs was, the shoeshop (Kenaneys) where Barry Cowens was, the Tullamore Tribune office beside Heartbeat with its little gate.
    What about when traffic came up Church St? When everyone used to lock their bikes around the Garda Station?
    Corpus Christi, which, looking back, was weird and wonderful. The short lived Strawberry Fair.
    Rashers Pender enjoying himself on the generously provided furniture (sofa and chair on street display) by Keeley's Furniture in O'Connor Square beside the Post Office, which is gone....! And multiple phoneboxes. Gone.
    All the bikes pouring out the Brothers gate at 1 and downtown. Before they built the back gate. Which was before they built the new school.
    Does anyone recall the night the hot air balloon crashed in Patrick St and burned half the town down??
    Wha??? Blow-ins and snowflakes, so ye are....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

And Hook finlys shop. Is he still alive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

He is, I saw him yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

An Ri rua wrote: »
    That list needs a list of shops that are no longer there, or at least in the same guise.
    Elliffes, Phil O'Reillys, Gallaghers, Tuttys, Jimmy Carters beside the Hole in the Wall, Barry Keegan's, McCanns,.
    What about Church St? I think there were 3-4 shops between Hayes' Cross and the corner of Henry St? Anyone remember Mai Burke's!! What about the clothes shop where Supermacs was, the shoeshop (Kenaneys) where Barry Cowens was, the Tullamore Tribune office beside Heartbeat with its little gate.
    What about when traffic came up Church St? When everyone used to lock their bikes around the Garda Station?
    Corpus Christi, which, looking back, was weird and wonderful. The short lived Strawberry Fair.
    Rashers Pender enjoying himself on the generously provided furniture (sofa and chair on street display) by Keeley's Furniture in O'Connor Square beside the Post Office, which is gone....! And multiple phoneboxes. Gone.
    All the bikes pouring out the Brothers gate at 1 and downtown. Before they built the back gate. Which was before they built the new school.
    Does anyone recall the night the hot air balloon crashed in Patrick St and burned half the town down??
    Wha??? Blow-ins and snowflakes, so ye are....

What about the clothes shop where Supermacs was,

Are you thinking of Meanarys that was where Boots is now. A pity that shop went. Would have loved to have seen it become a successful Irish fashion shop. It and A-Wear should have got together. The boots store is awesome do. Got to be the most modern and state of the art Boots store in Ireland.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »

Are you thinking of Meanarys that was where Boots is now. A pity that shop went. Would have loved to have seen it become a successful Irish fashion shop. It and A-Wear should have got together. The boots store is awesome do. Got to be the most modern and state of the art Boots store in Ireland.

I remember been in the clothes shop where Superman’s now is with my grandad years ago. I think it was owned/run by two old men. Also remember shopping in Quinnsworth and going in with my parents to Bolgers on Patrick Street afterwards. They had a few drinks and drive us home afterwards.....different times. Also vaguely remember going with my dad on his tractor delivering a load of corn to Williams Waller. There were two big gates where the end of Main Street is now.

AMKC wrote:

AMKC wrote:

Menarys? That was, like, last week in the Tullamore timeline.
    No, I'm thinking of Champs. Disappeared in the very early 80s. Morris' shop was up from it and Gilsons across from it.

And Hook finlys shop. Is he still alive?

Of course, yeah, legendary shop. And does anyone remember Gorrys for newspapers and magazines? It had everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

My father used to be a big fan of the pub in the old Dunnes Stores shopping centre for a few pints when the mother was in doing the shopping. Drive home after it then.

My father used to be a big fan of the pub in the old Dunnes Stores shopping centre for a few pints when the mother was in doing the shopping. Drive home after it then.

The Unicorn. Yea we frequented it back in the day too. A big bottle of red lemonade and some taytos kept us amused whine my mum and dad had a couple of drinks. I also vaguely remember when Tesco was the supermarket where the old Dunnes is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

The Ritz cinema, Bolger's Hotel, The Oasis cafe and the Book mark are a few I remember fondly also Reflections ladies boutique. I vaguely remember the blacksmith on Kilbride Street.

I remember a Chicken factory down the canal line or did I dream it.

• Advertisement

That was the Chicken Ranch.....
    In Rochfortbridge 

Yes, Bolger's Hotel. I think my grandfathers funeral send-off was there in 82.
    And I distinctly remember the diagonal chrome handle on the bookmark door.

The Ritz!! Beside the Bookmark? Where the Chinese is now? There were 4 or 5 cinemas in town at that time. 4 anyway.
    Abba was on in the Ritz and it was U7 accompanied. When we for tobit, my father brought my sister and brother but not me! The censor was strict; and parents were too.

Advertisement