Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tullamore Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

New wood fired pizza place opening up in March on harbour street.

Can't believe nobody else in town does wood fired

In what premises?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Tullamore on RTE Six One News today. I just caught the end of it. Think it's about the Government development plan that the Government are going to unveil on Friday. About 35 mins into the news before they talk about it for anyone interested.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭bennyineire

medoc wrote: »
    New wood fired pizza place opening up in March on harbour street.

Can't believe nobody else in town does wood fired

Great news. The food offering in town isn't too bad these days. Good choices in the main food type areas.

Yep all we need now is a burrito canteen and we’ll be elected

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

AMKC wrote: »
    Tullamore on RTE Six One News today. I just caught the end of it. Think it's about the Government development plan that the Government are going to unveil on Friday. About 35 mins into the news before they talk about it for anyone interested.

Saw that, talking about how Tullamore was a Gateway town way back in the 00's but probably wont get much in the Dev Plan tomorrow. Think Athlone has been chosen as the focus for major Midland development, but we still might get a small amount here.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Saw that, talking about how Tullamore was a Gateway town way back in the 00's but probably wont get much in the Dev Plan tomorrow. Think Athlone has been chosen as the focus for major Midland development, but we still might get a small amount here.

Unfortunately the signal was lost before George Lee could talk to the people he was with. Might have been interesting. Athlone is too small to be the midlands “city” there was some merit to the old plan of Mullingar, Athlone,Tullamore together gateway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Unfortunately the signal was lost before George Lee could talk to the people he was with. Might have been interesting. Athlone is too small to be the midlands “city” there was some merit to the old plan of Mullingar, Athlone,Tullamore together gateway.

Caught the start of the news and it sounded like Athlon was the town getting the nod

Ms

They got him back on just after that other one from the North who is the leader of a party stuck in the past. I still ended up missing the beginning of it and just caught the end of it again.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

I see the work on O'Conner Square will be starting in the Summer. It's been tendered to the contractors now for the work. Great to see.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Anyone else noticing the increased Garda presence on the streets? Noticed it myself about a month before Xmas. Thought it was just the Xmas period but it has continued. I was pulled over on Tuesday coming down by the convent/st Philomenas by 2 guards on foot. There’s increased action up around the boats across from parochial house. It’s good to see but makes me wonder if there’s something going on

Anyone else noticing the increased Garda presence on the streets? Noticed it myself about a month before Xmas. Thought it was just the Xmas period but it has continued. I was pulled over on Tuesday coming down by the convent/st Philomenas by 2 guards on foot. There’s increased action up around the boats across from parochial house. It’s good to see but makes me wonder if there’s something going on

Junkie haven up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭PMBC

Is that the old Phil o'reilly shop? Glad to see something happening with it if it is. Far too many undeveloped sites in town.

Posting a bit late here but that was 'the old Houlihan's shop' before Phil took over!

AddisonD wrote: »
    Hello everyone,
    I am moving to Cornalour, Rahan very soon ( if my solicitor ever gets up off his arse ) and wondered if anyone lives in that community can give me an example of the available internet speed. I am a photographer and need to send images to clients rapidly on request so will need to plan accordingly.
    Thank you :)

Hope you settle well there but I don't know about internet speeds.
    However and fyi an interesting bit about your location/townsland. Years ago I got sight of an old canal map that showed Cornalaur as Coranurlar i.e. Cor an Urlar which perhaps makes a bit of sense, derivation wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 AddisonD

PMBC wrote: »
    Hope you settle well there but I don't know about internet speeds.
    However and fyi an interesting bit about your location/townsland. Years ago I got sight of an old canal map that showed Cornalaur as Coranurlar i.e. Cor an Urlar which perhaps makes a bit of sense, derivation wise.

Thank you for that PMBC, I have seen many old maps of London and Kent with similar name changes. I'm getting good D/L speeds from Eir but they dreadfully slow U/L speed

Ms

Anyone know what is happening at Woodies? Seen a lot of work going on inside there.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Making room for the huge demand on candles and torches needed for the big storm that's heading our way.

Eddie B wrote: »
    Making room for the huge demand on candles and torches needed for the big storm that's heading our way.

No I think that’s where they were. They’ve sold out already :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭bennyineire

AMKC wrote: »
    Anyone know what is happening at Woodies? Seen a lot of work going on inside there.

Doing a refit and reorginising of the stock. New shelves, more lines to seemingly.

AddisonD wrote: »
    Thank you for that PMBC, I have seen many old maps of London and Kent with similar name changes. I'm getting good D/L speeds from Eir but they dreadfully slow U/L speed

Another interesting townsland name beside you/adjacent to you is Goldsmiths Lot. Bit of history in that district. Check out the 'Rahan Murder' and James Lynam Molloy of 'Kerry Dancers' and 'Loves Old Sweet Song' (I'm more of a Stones fan myself).
    I always felt the area around Rahan Bridge, if developed/planned properly, couldhave made a lovely village to equal Geashill in size and setting. From Cornalaur you can drive along the canal to Pullough which is also an interesting place -Turraun was an early experimental peat works and Pullough , because only accessible by canal in early 1800s, the ?last Irish speaking area in Offaly. I read that gaelgoiri used travel there by canal boat to learn Irish in late 1800s/early 1900s. And no, I'm not a local historian but just know a few things about the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 AddisonD

PMBC wrote: »
    Another interesting townsland name beside you/adjacent to you is Goldsmiths Lot. Bit of history in that district. Check out the 'Rahan Murder' and James Lynam Molloy of 'Kerry Dancers' and 'Loves Old Sweet Song' (I'm more of a Stones fan myself).
    I always felt the area around Rahan Bridge, if developed/planned properly, couldhave made a lovely village to equal Geashill in size and setting. From Cornalaur you can drive along the canal to Pullough which is also an interesting place -Turraun was an early experimental peat works and Pullough , because only accessible by canal in early 1800s, the ?last Irish speaking area in Offaly. I read that gaelgoiri used travel there by canal boat to learn Irish in late 1800s/early 1900s. And no, I'm not a local historian but just know a few things about the area.

We don't possess a television so stuff like this makes up an evenings entertainment.

A reminder that the Blood donor clinic is in Town for the next three evenings in the Court Hotel. Anyone that can should give blood. Especially this time as stocks are low due to cancelled clinics last week.

• Advertisement

I’d love to do it but they’ve banned me from donating

I’d love to do it but they’ve banned me from donating

Banned you?

Yeah I donated regularly from age 18 up til 2016. Went into court hotel to the blood clinic. Sat for the required time afterwards and went out to the bar for food. Felt sick about 30 mins later, went to the bathroom and must have collapsed. Don’t know how long I was I’m there but when I came around there was the court hotel staff and the old lady dr from the clinic. She took my name and number, told me I wouldn’t be allowed donate again. They called a day or two later to see how I was and then recieved formal letter from them saying they’d no longer accept any donations from me and I was being removed from correspondence list

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭laros

Anyone know what is happening at Woodies?
    I believe the floor space of the store will be cut in half... I was speaking to one of the lads in there a few weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Sundance_Kid

Hey folks, heading down to Tullamore in the coming weeks for a Saturday night. Just a few questions, so all advice greatly welcomed:
    Any late bar or nightclubs?
    Any pubs that serve good quality food in the evening time?
    Any pubs that serve late, have live music?
    Any good pizza places?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

No

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Hey folks, heading down to Tullamore in the coming weeks for a Saturday night. Just a few questions, so all advice greatly welcomed:
    Any good pizza places?

Not since the recession.

There's guy that comes around once a week with a chip van if that helps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Sundance_Kid

Cant wait for Tullamore if the above unfunny replies are a barometer of the people from there 😂

Any good pizza places?

Late bars, probably the bridge house (don’t be sober going in) and the nightclub is upstairs again don’t be sober. I like digans for a few drinks first. Mm pizza place, there’s a dominos and a pizza place that used to be Apache but it’s not great. If I was going for food on a night out I’d prob go to Lana (Thai food not a pub) I’d stay away from the hideout joe lees and the goalpost

• Advertisement

Late bars, probably the bridge house (don’t be sober going in) and the nightclub is upstairs again don’t be sober. I like digans for a few drinks first. Mm pizza place, there’s a dominos and a pizza place that used to be Apache but it’s not great. If I was going for food on a night out I’d prob go to Lana (Thai food not a pub) I’d stay away from the hideout joe lees and the goalpost

And the lantern.

Advertisement