Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tullamore Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Thankfully i only do the commute twice a week, as i work from home the other days. Don't mind either train, but as I only do two days, i won't get an annual pass or anything like that. Was just trying to figure if there would be a cheaper to drive some of the way, and park and ride from there.
    charlieIRL wrote: »
    Are you going to be living in Tullamore? You'll have to come out here for a round of golf some weekend.
    Looks like it. Just waiting on confirmation that we can move in, and hope to know for sure today. Already looking at either Tullamore or Esker Hills for membership. Any advice? Missed Esker at the boards even this year unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Kiith wrote: »
    Thankfully i only do the commute twice a week, as i work from home the other days. Don't mind either train, but as I only do two days, i won't get an annual pass or anything like that. Was just trying to figure if there would be a cheaper to drive some of the way, and park and ride from there.

Looks like it. Just waiting on confirmation that we can move in, and hope to know for sure today. Already looking at either Tullamore or Esker Hills for membership. Any advice? Missed Esker at the boards even this year unfortunately.

See if you can rent a house near the train station, then you don't need to park there. Spollenstown Wood is a nice estate that's close enough to walk to the station and also close enough to walk into town.

A fold up bike could also be an option for you to bring on the train ?

I'll be only a few mins from the station, so i'll probably just do that.

We got the house anyway, and move in soon. Looking forward to living somewhere with more then just 1 shop :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I'll be only a few mins from the station, so i'll probably just do that.

We got the house anyway, and move in soon. Looking forward to living somewhere with more then just 1 shop :P

If your into craft beer and brewing let me know, we have a midlands beer club with meets alternating between Tullamore and Athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

If commuting in the Dublin City, would i be better off parking somewhere along the way and getting a train/dart/bus? Office is around Connolly station, so traffic and parking would probably be a nightmare. Is there a park and ride type thing along the route? Looks like we got the rental we were looking at, and will be moving in at the start of next month. Just need to figure out the best (either quickest/cheapest) way to get into work.

Another option would be to drive to Maynooth and get the train in from there to Connolly. Or anywhere along that line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Da Optimist

Has anyone seen the absolute state of the court hotel now? They've ruined it. They gutted the place and as a result of the refurbishment ripped the life and soul out of the place. It now looks like some cheap thrashy maldron budget hotel. I used to go there so much as it was warm, cosy with added ambience. Now it's just cold and clinical. Everything is so dark and grey especially the bar area. Cheap floors, cheap seats like you would see down the Roma grill and awful tacky wallpaper. They have installed all these glitzy lights in all the common areas, my 80 year old mother was horrified. I also heard it's just the beginning and the rest of the hotel and rooms are facing an overhaul in line with this thrashy so called modern style.

thanks. I wasnt aware that it was flanagan/kane. Thats an interesting turn of events!

I like Kane, he a brilliant operator. Clever, articulate etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Has anyone seen the absolute state of the court hotel now? They've ruined it. They gutted the place and as a result of the refurbishment ripped the life and soul out of the place. It now looks like some cheap thrashy maldron budget hotel. I used to go there so much as it was warm, cosy with added ambience. Now it's just cold and clinical. Everything is so dark and grey especially the bar area. Cheap floors, cheap seats like you would see down the Roma grill and awful tacky wallpaper. They have installed all these glitzy lights in all the common areas, my 80 year old mother was horrified. I also heard it's just the beginning and the rest of the hotel and rooms are facing an overhaul in line with this thrashy so called modern style.

It never had a soul and it was never cosy. I don't know how it looks now, last time I was there it's a about a month ago. I don't think their decor is a problem but Court hotel is a place where good service goes to die. Not that Bridge is any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Good jib!

If your into craft beer and brewing let me know, we have a midlands beer club with meets alternating between Tullamore and Athlone

I'm into craft beer! I just don't live locally anymore.

So I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of a decent pub in Tullamore.

Last time I was home I went to the The Tanyard Lane, as I knew it was owned by a craft brewery, so I reckoned it'd be a good spot. The beer selection was decent, however the atmosphere was fairly cack, wall-to-wall tellies blaring us out of it, so we only stayed for one.

I there anywhere you can have a nice pint (craft, even bottles'd be grand) without being blown out of it by tellies?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭laros

Tanyard Lane is now called William St, still owned by Carrig regarding the televisions I just ask the staff to turn down the sound... I don't think there's really anywhere else in the town with any sort of a selection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Good jib!

laros wrote: »
    Tanyard Lane is now called William St, still owned by Carrig regarding the televisions I just ask the staff to turn down the sound... I don't think there's really anywhere else in the town with any sort of a selection.

Yeah, I did that and got a "I'll see what I can do" and the sound level stayed the same. :pac:

So in other words, the best place to go out for a drink, where you can actually have a conversation without having to compete with noise and TV is Yaagdar (BYOB) Indian restaurant? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

William St. has never had an atmosphere IMO.
    The craft beer selection as reduced a lot over the last few years too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

is william street busy these days? anytime I pass by its mostly empty ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Good jib! wrote: »
    I there anywhere you can have a nice pint (craft, even bottles'd be grand) without being blown out of it by tellies?

Eugene Kellys (near the Kilbeggan bridge) might have the odd craft on tap or perhaps some bottles. The Lounge part would be nice and cozy, doesn't have loud music/tv and is usually decked out well for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

Guill wrote: »
    The traffic lights outside of Spar are another thing that gets me, leave them where they are and extend the pavement out, just looks bad.

I see they’ve finally moved those lights.

Can anyone recommend a good running track/route around town, preferably off road or through some woods? Not looking for anything too extreme...just something i can do in the mornings before work (30 minutes or so). Found one in around Charleville Castle which is grand for a short run, but wouldn't mind finding a few more.

A lap around Durrow woods is about 3.2km.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭tgdaly

meeeeh wrote: »
    A lap around Durrow woods is about 3.2km.

Great spot for a walk / run

It is lovely, especially in spring and autumn. It's hard relatively uneven surface so good runners are a must. It depends how fast you run but two laps would be around 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 retiredhurler

Where's the entrance to Durrow woods? (I don't know that part of the world too well)

• Advertisement

There are two. If you drive on n52 towards Kilbeggan you turn left on the staggered crossroads onto L2005, drive past the Durrow GAA pitch, the entrance is about 0.5km further on the right. For the other entrance you drive further on L2005 till you get to sort of T junction, turn right and follow that road for about 1.5km. Entrance is on the right. There is a ramp at both entrances.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 retiredhurler

Thanks a million. Offers a new option for somewhere to go with the kids to get them out of the house

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

Go ahead for Flanagan in the Coens site. Interesting to see what becomes of it. The lights at the new LIDL are already a pain in the hole. https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/home/501219/breaking-planning-granted-for-massive-new-shopping-centre-in-tullamore.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Sad to see Sambodinos closed in Tullamore yesterday, loved the sandwiches there.

Didn't get a chance to try there yet. Anywhere else do a good sandwich? Is the place on Henry street any good (Flynn's?)?

Tried it there...really good :)

is sambodines closed for good?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

is sambodines closed for good?

Unfortunately yes. Note in the door says so. :(

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Unfortunately yes. Note in the door says so. :(

Far too much good competition especially with the Foxy Bean. And Kane with his spots. They just couldn't keep up. Bad location too.

Foxy bean doing a roaring trade. Must be hard to keep a shop open in town with the footfall down.

• Advertisement

Foxy bean doing a roaring trade. Must be hard to keep a shop open in town with the footfall down.

Can't believe it really took off. I don't understand it's appeal. It's overpriced.

Advertisement