Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tullamore Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

medoc wrote: »
    Which coincidentally Flanagan has just gotten planning permission to knock and replace with a new building. Maybe he applied for that before he let it to Dealz.

he got planning to knock it back in 08 as well and its still there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

[QUOTE=medoc Which coincidentally Flanagan has just gotten planning permission to knock and replace with a new building. Maybe he applied for that before he let it to Dealz.[/QUOTE]

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    Is there any part of Tullamore he doesn't own.
    charlieIRL wrote: »
    he got planning to knock it back in 08 as well and its still there!!

If that is the case I would say the planning permission for that ran out so he just decided to lease it to Dealz instead.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 raik18

Any further word on the new shopping centre? I know the council wanted more information but we've heard nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Gympodie

The old Texas area is very run down. I walk through it most days. I hope something goes in there (not hopeful). I can't see why that is being overlooked, it is in the town center. It seems a waste when all these new buildings are being built around the town, and this is just sitting there. Kinda sad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Gympodie wrote: »
    The old Texas area is very run down. I walk through it most days. I hope something goes in there (not hopeful). I can't see why that is being overlooked, it is in the town center. It seems a waste when all these new buildings are being built around the town, and this is just sitting there. Kinda sad

Rumour has it, it was bought last year by a well know development company from the town along with a Northern chap who owns half the town now at this stage. Seemingly a hotel complex is been mooted for the site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

If the old texas does reopen, they need to get rid of the metal car park. It's so off putting. The high streets are dying and everywhere you go, your charged for parking, how does this encourge people to shop in town? If

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

jface187 wrote: »
    If the old texas does reopen, they need to get rid of the metal car park. It's so off putting. The high streets are dying and everywhere you go, your charged for parking, how does this encourge people to shop in town? If

There a story be hung the fencing in the car Park got to do with the new owners Benny mentioned. They got a good deal out of it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭medoc

Just a reminder that the blood clinic is in the Court hotel. If you can at all please donate.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Vlthap

Is there any part of Tullamore Flanagan doesn't own.

Yeah! The parts that either Ted Garry or the Kane fella own!!!

Vlthap wrote: »
    Yeah! The parts that either Ted Garry or the Kane fella own!!!

Ted Garry (RIP) has been deceased for at least 10 years if not more

• Advertisement

I see the Manor has been sold, wonder who bought it and what the plans are for it.

Also I see the building where the copperpot was has a new planning applicaton gone it for a big extension at the back for 20+ apartments and only the front part being retained for commercial purpose.

The street works are making progress. Was surprised at how narrow the street is on High Street and especially at the turn into Patrick Street from Bridge Street. Going to make the traffic interesting. As will the new lights at the new Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

The street works are making progress. Was surprised at how narrow the street is on High Street and especially at the turn into Patrick Street from Bridge Street. Going to make the traffic interesting. As will the new lights at the new Lidl.
    Couldn't they just make that area pedestrian?

I see the Arts centre has now gone to tender on etenders, damn looks like its actually going to get built. It will be a great addition to the town

• Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Sad to see the Butchers gone from Tesco. Sign of the times I suppose.

Sad to see the Butchers gone from Tesco. Sign of the times I suppose.

The meat counter is gone? They are renovating at the moment. Seems a strange decision

• Registered Users Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The meat counter is gone? They are renovating at the moment. Seems a strange decision

I enjoy the large empty space that has been created in the middle of the store. Free from shelves and product displays it speaks deeply about the negative impacts and ultimate futility of modern rampant consumerism,

I generally spend a few minutes there in quiet contemplation during the weekly shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

They are ruining what was a perfectly good store. They should have left it as it was. I used to go there as it was a great Tesco store now its just ruined and I will not be going there anymore. So there revamp has lost them a customer.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Tesco announced before that meat counters will be phased out. I tend to get stuff in Aldi or butcher's but actually the man working at Tesco counter was the nicest employee there.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭ArrBee

I enjoy the large empty space that has been created in the middle of the store. Free from shelves and product displays it speaks deeply about the negative impacts and ultimate futility of modern rampant consumerism,

I generally spend a few minutes there in quiet contemplation during the weekly shop.

Plot twist
    It's actually the art centre.
    First installation is titled The Emptiness Of Modern Life

• Advertisement

ArrBee wrote: »
    Plot twist
    It's actually the art centre.
    First installation is titled The Emptiness Of Modern Life

Was in there this evening and hate to burst anybody's bubble.....but the haven of peace and solitude is now the clothing and shoe department.

Looks like the Off Licence has had the aisles widened.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

Taken from Midlands 103:

"19 units in a midlands shopping centre are up for sale at a cost of almost €6 million.

HWBC is advertising the units in The Bridge Centre in Tullamore - which span over 18,000 square feet.

Current tennants of the units involved include Vodafone, Vera Modo and Holland and Barrett.

Altogther, they take in a yearly rental income of €732,000 euro"

Does this mean the units mentioned are leaving? can't see who would go in there.

jface187 wrote: »
    Taken from Midlands 103:

"19 units in a midlands shopping centre are up for sale at a cost of almost €6 million.

HWBC is advertising the units in The Bridge Centre in Tullamore - which span over 18,000 square feet.

Current tennants of the units involved include Vodafone, Vera Modo and Holland and Barrett.

Altogther, they take in a yearly rental income of €732,000 euro"

Does this mean the units mentioned are leaving? can't see who would go in there.

Hardly as most if not all the occupants are lease holders, only difference would be that they pay their lease fees to someone else

Slightly off topic but there's what was once a beautiful plant in the window in a shop ( now closed) on Kilbride Street. The poor plant...a Money tree I think it's called is dying a slow death.

Is there anyone willing to save it...it's on it's last legs.

What are people’s feelings on the work so far on the street scape project?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Any recent opinions on Yaadgar? Has it changed hands? I've always loved the food and service.
    Today, phone ringing out, tills not working and waiting area quite cold. All no big deal individually but, collectively, set alarm bells off for me.
    Maybe the phone line is out of action. Hence the tills for Visa etc. Hmmm.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I think its looking well so far. Lot of work so some business are unhappy but hopefully it will be worth it long term. Be nice to have a decent looking centre to the town as well

Was in Birr and Ballinasloe recently and they turned out great, jury is still out on Athlone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

People are whinging about not being able to shop in the town but tullamore doesn’t support local business. People have been going to athlone and newbridge for years, it’s just another thing to complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

It's an improvement but I think the finishing of it is terrible. If you look around lamp posts etc they didn't bother cutting the paving to suit, just filled it with tarmac. It really takes from the overall look for me. If you head up high street there are some spots that must be 0.5m square of tarmac. Looks lazy and cheap.

The traffic lights outside of Spar are another thing that gets me, leave them where they are and extend the pavement out, just looks bad.

Interestingly, I was in Dundalk and Mullingar last week, they are doing the exact same works and the locals are saying the same in both towns.
    A businessman friend of mine in Athlone says that he is struggling to recover from the impact of the works so I wouldn't dismiss the business people concerns so easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Good jib!

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Any recent opinions on Yaadgar? Has it changed hands? I've always loved the food and service.
    Today, phone ringing out, tills not working and waiting area quite cold. All no big deal individually but, collectively, set alarm bells off for me.
    Maybe the phone line is out of action. Hence the tills for Visa etc. Hmmm.....

Don't know if it's recent enough, but I was in there over the summer and it hadn't changed hands then. Usually I'd be in of an evening when it's the owners (Nepalese I think) running the place, but seems to be Irish staff (well, one waitress) during the day.

I love the place but for some reason it always seems to be cold in there. I mentioned it once and the next time they had loads of electric heaters on which made a bit of a difference, but I think the building must just be badly insulated.

Hopefully hasn't changed hands though, :( the food is good and you get to bring your own drink in!

Advertisement