Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underpaid jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Permabear wrote:
    This post had been deleted.

That's isn't the purpose of the thread.
    It's just asking for opinions on identifying underpaid professions.

There's no surer way to shut it down than to turn it in to a political type conversation on taxation and expenditure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Carers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

topcatcbr wrote:
    I know with the Army now they need to fill 800 positions now with hundreds leaving every month. They are finding it difficult to get people to join.

The defence forces job is no longer a good pensionable job that it once was for the ordinary foot soldier
    All the military wants now is young lads out of school keep them them for 5 or 10 year and feck them out then.
    They don't want any oul lads or oul ones unless you move up the ranks but not everyone has that opportunity to do so.

topcatcbr wrote:
    For years people have said if its that bad why join. Now its a reality. People don't want the public sector jobs. When once it was a case of being able to attract the best people for the jobs with more than enough of the right people. Now its a case of take what you get and this will effect those services in the future.

You can be guaranteed people will apply for the military. The pay is ****e because people are going for it. If people stopped applying the wages would have to go up. Supply and demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,443 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Gardai and nurses. Friend of mine is a SHO in a regional hospital and I was shocked at how little he told me he's paid considering the crazy hours he's expected to work

So your friend is neither a garda or a nurse.

An SHO is a doctor. Recently qualified and will have a career path onto good money as they move up the scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

dev100 wrote: »
    The defence forces job is no longer a good pensionable job that it once was for the ordinary foot soldier
    All the military wants now is young lads out of school keep them them for 5 or 10 year and feck them out then.
    They don't want any oul lads or oul ones unless you move up the ranks but not everyone has that opportunity to do so.

You can be guaranteed people will apply for the military. The pay is ****e because people are going for it. If people stopped applying the wages would have to go up. Supply and demand.

But its not. I am in the army and know that there are people waiting since last year to be called because they couldn't get enough to fill a platoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Teachers, child care workers and nurses.

Also Luas and bus drivers who perform infinitely more critical functions than the above and should be on at least 150k a year.

blanch152 wrote: »

In the public sector, those earning less than around €33k have already had their pay fully restored to 2008 levels.
    In general pay will have increased as those who were on a lower scale in 2008 will be now on a higher level of that scale. This will give an impression that the averages will have gone up. Especially since their was recruiting embargo.

But for those who were on the highest level in 2008 their pay is still considerably less.
    I have pay slips going back 20 years. I can prove it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Also Luas and bus drivers who perform infinitely more critical functions than the above and should be on at least 150k a year.

I totally agree with childcare workers. The profession will never be taken seriously unless the vital work done there is valued and paid for appropriately. Its a job that requires huge patience, responsibility and its totally underpaid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Firefighters.

• Advertisement

Luas drivers should be on at least 150k? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Luas drivers should be on at least 150k? :confused:

I was being sarcastic :pac: (about Luas and Bus Drivers).

Agreed it's galling to see how little of the exorbitant fees charged by creches actually appear to end up in the wages of carers although I don't know the overall cost of running such a business.

Agreed it's galling to see how little of the exorbitant fees charged by creches actually appear to end up in the wages of carers although I don't know the overall cost of running such a business.

I don't know but id imagine that the cost of property and insurance has a big role to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,171 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

blanch152 wrote: »
    In the public sector, those earning less than around €33k have already had their pay fully restored to 2008 levels.

Is this correct? Let's check.

The first pay cut was 5% for wages up to 30k. Above that it was a 7.5% pay cut.

Then there was the second pay cut, the PRD.

What has happened in the LRA? Have these been fully reversed?

The PRD has been abolished for those earning up to 28,750.

Okay, for somebody on 28k, the PRD has been abolished, and they have got the following pay restoration:

1-Jan-2016 = +1%
    April 2017 = +1,000

So 28k less 5% = 26,600

Jan 2016 +1% = 26,866
    April 2017 +1,000 = 27,866

So, somebody on 28k has seen much, but not quite all, of their two pay cuts restored.

Permabear wrote: »

I agree. Life is as difficult now as i can ever remember. Costs keep going up but salaries are stagnant. We constantly blame pay for rising costs.

I do think there is more to it. We are still paying for banking sector failings through taxes. We are also paying for it through higher banking costs and insurance premiums. This is pushing up prices all the time reducing living conditions of those on average wages.

topcatcbr wrote: »

The public sector is prime example. With all the cuts imposed on the frontline staff pay the management got proportionally less cuts. But when there is increases given eg benchmarking they got much higher increases.

Higher earners in the PS took higher pay cuts than lower earners.

Oh :D I've lost my Boards touch!

Permabear wrote: »

Taxes in Ireland are below European averages.

The price level is 20-25% above the EU average.

This is due to excessive costs:
    • extremely high property costs
    • massive insurance costs
    • high legal costs
    • high medical costs [e.g. a GP in France charges 23-25]

Govt policies do contribute to these high costs, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭PMBC

Sosurface wrote: »
    The other side of the coin. Who doesnt get enough dollar? I'll start the ball rolling with my own profession: Engineering. World literally cannot function without us. Relatively well compensated in some places. Just thrown on the pile of middle income mediocracy in the Irish idiocracy.

Don't get me started.
    Why didn't we study Med., Accountancy or Law? Leaving myself out, the lads in my class were the best of their schools.
    EI don't do a lot for the guys on the ground. Cheated worse than GOs by Contractors on sites. CEs let down the team by taking the money for BLG; so Councils are no longer a place to work. Big contractors use us like subbies, squeeze til dry and then throw away! Poor training post qualification, become part of the construction boom and bust cycle. I laugh when Tom P looks for emigrants to return - who is he suiting. Stay where you are if you are doing well. As I said, don't get me started.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭Sosurface

Geuze wrote: »
    Taxes in Ireland are below European averages.

The price level is 20-25% above the EU average.

This is due to excessive costs:
    • extremely high property costs
    • massive insurance costs
    • high legal costs
    • high medical costs [e.g. a GP in France charges 23-25]

Govt policies do contribute to these high costs, yes.

20-25% is just income tax though. We have a whole army of stealth taxes and similar sneaky measures. Like for example: Motor insurance. It's illegal not to have insurance BUT the state neither provides an outlet to supply this legal requirement or regulates the price. I know this is off topic a bit but how is that not illegal state aid to private industry?

Is this correct? Let's check.

The first pay cut was 5% for wages up to 30k. Above that it was a 7.5% pay cut.

Then there was the second pay cut, the PRD.

What has happened in the LRA? Have these been fully reversed?

The PRD has been abolished for those earning up to 28,750.

Okay, for somebody on 28k, the PRD has been abolished, and they have got the following pay restoration:

1-Jan-2016 = +1%
    April 2017 = +1,000

So 28k less 5% = 26,600

Jan 2016 +1% = 26,866
    April 2017 +1,000 = 27,866

So, somebody on 28k has seen much, but not quite all, of their two pay cuts restored.
    The pay increase for April 1 has yet to be given.
    We also have had allowances reduced or abolished.
    Ok. Now do that for somone on €33000. He is still down to €29668. And looking at my payslip paying €19.71 pw in pension levy. My pay is a little above €33,000 pa but not by much. Certainly less than €40,000. I have a BSc in construction and work as an architectural tech. And im on the highest point of my payscale.

I will be leaving this year because of the pay. I am not alone. I see many of my colleagues leaving and have already left in the last 2 years. Its lime rats leaving a sinking ship.

We are paid less now than we were 15 years ago. You can argue that the country cant afford to pay more. Thats fine. However we cant afford to stay. They can't attract people to join either. Theyre running a recruiting campeign looking for at least 800 and are worried as they are getting little interest. I was a few open days recently and saw first hand. There were more staff than people who turned up.

I know that there are people leaving at a rate of about 100 per month. Its getting serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Don't know how anybody can put teachers alongside nurses & garda. For the hours they work they do pretty well. And don't quote me any of that stress nonsense, the majority of jobs are stressful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Jodotman

Teachers? Really?

Primary school teachers do 9 to 3 and 2 months off in the summer. I couldn't think of a least stressful job. People saying teachers have never worked in a high pressure office environment.

Secondary school teachers have three months off in the summer and generally work 9-4. That's plenty of time to get your lesson plans done.

I know secondary school teachers have it tough in some schools but other schools it's piss easy.

If anything there paid too much.

Higher earners in the PS took higher pay cuts than lower earners.

During the benchmarking just before the crash. Management got increase of approx 11% and got cuts of approx 8-9% while the lower paid got an increase of 4% during benchmarking and got pay cuts of approx 7% not including the pension levy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

murpho999 wrote: »
    So your friend is neither a garda or a nurse.

An SHO is a doctor. Recently qualified and will have a career path onto good money as they move up the scale.
    Yes I know, I'm not a thick.
    I answered the OP. I think guards and nurses should be paid more. If you check my previous post, I'm pretty sure talking about my friend started in a new sentence, where i stated I was surprised he was on a lot less money than you'd think considering his hours and work load.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Average pay for HSE nurses is about €55k - €60k. How much more do you think they should be paid?

If you had 5 nurses and 4 earned 25k but one earned 50k, then the average pay would be 30k.

Averages always skew towards the higher earners.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,152 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Jodotman wrote: »
    Teachers? Really?

Primary school teachers do 9 to 3 and 2 months off in the summer. I couldn't think of a least stressful job. People saying teachers have never worked in a high pressure office environment.

Secondary school teachers have three months off in the summer and generally work 9-4. That's plenty of time to get your lesson plans done.

I know secondary school teachers have it tough in some schools but other schools it's piss easy.

If anything there paid too much.

You need to qualify to do with teachers with 'those on full hours'.
    This is not the majority of teachers.

There are schools where half the staff are on less than 14 hour contracts a week, where they are on a contract at all. They will still be there everyday, as their hours will be spread over the week.

Did you know who had full time hours and who was part-time out of your own teachers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Perhaps a controversial one but professional footballers. Specifically, the elite leagues worldwide.
    It's the world's biggest sport, and while a few superstars earn millions, the vast majority earn a pittance in comparison.
    Now I know earning 5 to 15 grand a week sounds obscene but considering the short window of a career and what the game itself earns, then the players themselves are paid relatively little. That pay is usually the gross figure too. Tax usually accounts for circa 50% depending on the country you play in.

Advertisement