Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underpaid jobs

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pure tashte

Glenster wrote: »
    Fairly.

I suppose that's it isn't it?

My job is making charm bracelets, but my purchasers aren't paying me a fair price. Can I have a subsidy?

And I don't think that something is nicer just because its Irish. Now I'd buy Irish but that's just to reduce the carbon footprint.

I'm not saying I think it's nicer because it's Irish. I'm saying the general perception is that Irish produce is of a higher standard that the imported equivalent, as it is more easily traceable, and we have a climate which is well suited to agriculture for meat and dairy. I'm sure you've seen guarantees on menus that all meat is sourced from Irish farms? People really care about this.

Anyway, I'm not saying that the subsidies farmers get should be beyond scrutiny, what they get is very generous. But if, say, their subsidy was done away with, and a large number of farmers went out of business as they couldn't compete with the low price of imports, would this really be a positive development for Irish society?

Use your facetious charm bracelets argument if you wish, we both know the issue is a bit more complex than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Healthcare assistants. Teachers assistants. Security guards. Hotel staff. Farm workers.

Advertisement