Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underpaid jobs

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I think the problem with Gardai being underpaid is just so many people still apply for the job, and they definitely have problems but they are not corrupt to the point they need to be paid more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

I hate the way we put each other down. There is always those who think everyone else is paid too much.

The truth is that the difference in pay between management and staff in all sectors of society does not reflect the difference in work levels or responsibility. Especially when it comes to senior management.

The public sector is prime example. With all the cuts imposed on the frontline staff pay the management got proportionally less cuts. But when there is increases given eg benchmarking they got much higher increases.

The trend being that the gap between the rich and poor getting higher all the time.

So in my opinion this needs to be adjusted everywhere. All lower paid jobes should be brought up to a point that in all organisations the highest paid should get the same increase as the lowest paid. This system of management getting pay increase through efficiency by cutting the lower paid who actually do the work is unjust.

So stop belittling each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

If someone wants to complain about their pay, then post what they are paid along with job security and what their pension is going to be and retirement age. These are also factors which should be considered.

I've worked in a number of different areas and the wages that came with them. When I was younger I did a lot of low skill/low wage jobs; had little expenditure so it was fine. Skilled up and got more pay, which allowed me to travel and see some of the World. Spent time and money getting a qualification and the rewards that came with it; allowing me to get a house and afford a good living for my family.

If you feel someone is underpaid, then please also suggest how to pay them more. Increase VAT on items, have your own pay packet reduced by further tax, ...........
    Easy to say pay someone more, but how do you finance it? And if you pay lower skilled people more money, then you'll have those above them wanting more; how do you pay for that? And there's index linked pay/pensions....etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I think the problem with Gardai being underpaid is just so many people still apply for the job, and they definitely have problems but they are not corrupt to the point they need to be paid more

A few years ago, when recruitment started up they received 25,000 applicants but that number has gotten a lot smaller since. I think the last drive had only 5000 apply but the competitions are usually over a few years now so applicants have a good chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Sosurface wrote: »
    The other side of the coin. Who doesnt get enough dollar? I'll start the ball rolling with my own profession: Engineering. World literally cannot function without us. Relatively well compensated in some places. Just thrown on the pile of middle income  mediocracy in the Irish idiocracy.
    This is irrelevant.
    The market sets the rate. 
    If pay is high and lots of people are applying, the rate will come down.
    If pay is too low, nobody will apply so pay will need to be increased.
    Engineering firms will pay engineers what is needed to get hire and retain them (and not more).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pure tashte

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Comparable countries as in other developed, western countries that have English as their first language? I can't really say for police and teachers, but in those "comparable" countries, nurses get paid considerably more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

davo2001 wrote: »
    Unskilled work (which this is) is always going to be in and around minimum wage. Sorry, that's the truth.

So a hotel receptionist who needs to understand and use booking software, respond to emails and general walk up queries, arrange event bookings and deal with third party booking sites is unskilled work?

I know with the Army now they need to fill 800 positions now with hundreds leaving every month. They are finding it difficult to get people to join.

For years people have said if its that bad why join. Now its a reality. People don't want the public sector jobs. When once it was a case of being able to attract the best people for the jobs with more than enough of the right people. Now its a case of take what you get and this will effect those services in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

So a hotel receptionist who needs to understand and use booking software, respond to emails and general walk up queries, arrange event bookings and deal with third party booking sites is unskilled work?

Not sure how you can't see this but, yes, it is unskilled work. There are unskilled jobs that pay decently above minimum wage because companies value experience but it's still fundementally unskilled work.

If that qualified as skilled work anyone who's worked in virtually any job for a period of time and knows it inside out would be 'skilled'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Yes, a job that requires no qualifications and can be thought to just about anyone in a couple of weeks is unskilled.

• Advertisement

Some people forget that they are privileged to get a higher level of education. While they are still a burden on their parents and on the state others are out in lower paid jobs paying tax so that those in third level can enjoy that privileg. Most people would love to have third level education but for all sorts of reasons it wasn't available to them.

I studied later in life and im ok. But i did start working without a third level education not because i couldn't get the grades but due to family circumstances. I know many others who are the same. But they didn't get the opportunity later on that i did.

So always be aware that your privileg is in some part due to those who went out and worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Permabear wrote:

Was chatting to a nurse in Canada when I lived there a few years ago, and she said there was no way of her ever coming home as she was earning 3 times as much over there than here! And rent wouldnt be 3 times what it is here..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

topcatcbr wrote: »
    Some people forget that they are privileged to get a higher level of education. While they are still a burden on their parents and on the state others are out in lower paid jobs paying tax so that those in third level can enjoy that privileg. Most people would love to have third level education but for all sorts of reasons it wasn't available to them.

I studied later in life and im ok. But i did start working without a third level education not because i couldn't get the grades but due to family circumstances. I know many others who are the same. But they didn't get the opportunity later on that i did.

So always be aware that your privileg is in some part due to those who went out and worked.

Third level education is available to all in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Parchment wrote: »

Its available but not always feasible.

Parchment wrote: »

Not true.

If you're parents are self employed you will not get any assistance. There are many other cases which may stop u being able to avail of third level education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

ziggy wrote: »
    In the age of more people being on mobile devices than at a PC, and with autocorrect features they have, can we not go spelling nazi when it's just a single word or two?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

ziggy wrote: »

Why do people insist on taking things so personally? It's not 'in his eyes'. Unskilled is unskilled - it's not a matter of opinion. It's not dismissing the job or looking down on it. Everyone knows you could be in an unskilled position and earning a very good wage.

Unskilled is not a dirty or derogatory word. It just is what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Not true.

If you're parents are self employed you will not get any assistance. There are many other cases which may stop u being able to avail of third level education.

My parents are self employed - i was able to go to university. I worked through it and paid my own way.

I said its available to all - it is. Like others pointed out it may not be feasible for all - but its there if you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

In the age of more people being on mobile devices than at a PC, and with autocorrect features they have, can we not go spelling nazi when it's just a single word or two?

No, to be fair, I walked straight into that one :o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

kbannon wrote: »
    Public interfacing public servants e.g. gardai nurses and teachers.

I'm in IT so obviously the IT sector should pay waaay more.

IT is hilarious, for a standard IT service role you need to be a master of EVERYTHING!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pure tashte

Permabear wrote: »

Maybe the pay is similar in the UK, but conditions and opportunities for postgraduate training are higher, why else would so many nurses be going there? Australia is much higher, but New Zealand, Canada and America are also higher.

Of course, due to the number of nurses that are leaving after getting a free education, the HSE spends huge sums of money bringing in nurses from India and the Philipines. Surely if the HSE gave better starting wages to Irish nurses, it would save them money in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I hate the way we put each other down. There is always those who think everyone else is paid too much.

The truth is that the difference in pay between management and staff in all sectors of society does not reflect the difference in work levels or responsibility. Especially when it comes to senior management.

The public sector is prime example. With all the cuts imposed on the frontline staff pay the management got proportionally less cuts. But when there is increases given eg benchmarking they got much higher increases.

The trend being that the gap between the rich and poor getting higher all the time.

So in my opinion this needs to be adjusted everywhere. All lower paid jobes should be brought up to a point that in all organisations the highest paid should get the same increase as the lowest paid. This system of management getting pay increase through efficiency by cutting the lower paid who actually do the work is unjust.

So stop belittling each other.

The bit in bold is so wrong it's unbelievable.

In the public sector, those earning less than around €33k have already had their pay fully restored to 2008 levels.

Those earning over 100k were subject to the highest pay cuts, see this link to the 2009 Act that imposed pay cuts:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/act/41/section/2/enacted/en/html#sec2

In fact they also got one more pay cut than the others. As you will see from this link, the 2013 pay cuts only applied to those earning more than 65k.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2013/act/18/section/2/enacted/en/html#sec2

They also got higher amounts of the pension levy imposed on them - which has been abolished for those earning under 30k.

It is amazing the myths that get propagated about public service pay.

• Advertisement

Advertisement