Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is someone you inexplicably can't stand?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Gravelly wrote: »
    Bald men with beards are just wrong, end of story (and I say that as a man rapidly heading towards being hair-free). However they are in the hapenny place compared to bald men with ponytails (I know that's a bit of an oxymoron but you know what I mean). Every time I see a bald guy with a ponytail, I just want to take him aside and have the talk with him that his friends and family should have had. Nothing says sad and delusional like a bald lad with a ponytail.

Am picturing the Dj priest in Father Ted in the raffle episode

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Blathnaid Ni Chofaigh.

She just seems to want to shout everyone down who has a different opinion to hers.

Oh my god she is unbelievable. She's such a domineering old trout. She won't let anyone squeeze a sentence out and acts like everyone's a blithering eejit and she just doesn't have time for their nonsense when they are usually perfectly interesting people talking in a normal, concise way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Very true. What are they thinking? And what about 'man buns'? :D Honestly though this one is hot. I never thought I'd say it. *fans face*

While I would rather wear a dead cat on my head than a man bun personally, I can get over them on:

People under 25 (as long as they don't pair it with one of those idiotic lumberjack beards)

Women

Soccer players who play with a club that has won a major title within the last 3 years.

anna080 wrote: »
    Am picturing the Dj priest in Father Ted in the raffle episode

Always brings John Waters to mind for me, and a lad that's a member of the same football club as me, who constantly ties and unties his, in case people wouldn't notice it.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭JimboJones99

Football related: Richie Sadlier & Harry Redknapp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Anyone who uses the words abide, oblige and cordial, they do not mean what you think.

Also using leave in place of Let or allow.

GarIT wrote: »
    Anyone who uses the words abide, oblige and cordial, they do not mean what you think.

Don't think I've ever heard abide used outside of church. Or cordial used outside of a rural pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Hm..to me, oblige means..to expect someone to do something, or to feel like it's ones responsibility (to be obliged), abide means to stick with someone or something and cordial means friendly or civil? Have I been wrong all along?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

anyone see an ad this week with two cavan cnts shopping? I'd love to crack a tin of beans off both their heads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

WILL LEAHY PEOPLE....WILL LEAHY!

• Advertisement

Hm..to me, oblige means..to expect someone to do something, or to feel like it's ones responsibility (to be obliged), abide means to stick with someone or something and cordial means friendly or civil? Have I been wrong all along?

Where I come from, a cordial is a thing that city folk mix with their vodka.

Don't think I've ever heard abide used outside of church. Or cordial used outside of a rural pub.

Was used on page 2 or 3 of this thread, someone can't abide Hallie Berry.

I'd feel obliged to be very cordial with ms. Berry if I came across her.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,166 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

seems right to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Where I come from, a cordial is a thing that city folk mix with their vodka.

not at all ...city folk have to buy another drink to mix with their drink....not like those bogger bars with an bottle of cordial sitting on the bar !!

No you are correct. Many people think oblige means to reply, if someone asks them a question you "oblige them" instead of "answering them". And many people think cordial is something you put in a drink. And some people use abide instead of stand in the sentence I can't stand x.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

I wouldn't say I can't stand them but I find Emma Watson and Taylor Swift a bit dislikable for no good reason. I used to be a bit prejudiced against men with beards and bald heads but I've realised how unfair that was.In fact I have a mildly irritating crush type of thing for a man who looks like that. I'm not quite there with the stretched ear piercings with the plugs in them, yet.

I'm prejudiced against Marion Cotillard as well. I think she has a bitchy face but she's probably lovely.

Taylor Swift is presumably the same reason everyone does though, she has such an extensively managed public image. She even seems to choose friends on the basis of how they can endear her to a new niche.
    Her unwillingness to say anything remotely political last year despite was doubtlessly down to a fear of losing a fragment of an audience, which would be fine if she didn't routinely associate herself with vague feminist platitudes.

Most Emma Watson hate seems to stem from either finding her a pretty boring person or just rampant intolerance for all the feminism stuff.

I've no clue why you'd hate Marion Cotillard... she's kind of crap in a lot of English language roles?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Dave0JV

Jai Courtney. No idea why

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jake66

Alan F****n Hughes,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

That was me.

Dictionary definition of abide:
      1 a : to bear patiently : tolerate - cannot abide such bigots
      b : to endure without yielding : withstand - abide the onrush of the enemy

2 : to wait for : await
      I will abide the coming of my lord. — Alfred Tennyson

3 : to accept without objection - will abide your decision

I cannot tolerate/bear Halle Berry patiently.

1. Advertisement
      2. Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

I. Cannot. Fcuking. Stand. Leo. Veruka. Vradker. That smug, wall-paper paste face, and that smarmy patronising voice. Apparantely, he's "a gay man" when it suits his political aims. Seriously like, how low can you go in whoring yourself for popularity?

To be fair, he's Mr. Likeable compared to his rival for the leadership, Mr. Simon Bilderburger Coveney.

3. Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

However they are in the hapenny place compared to bald men with ponytails (I know that's a bit of an oxymoron but you know what I mean). Every time I see a bald guy with a ponytail, I just want to take him aside and have the talk with him that his friends and family should have had. Nothing says sad and delusional like a bald lad with a ponytail.

Ah the skullet (skull + mullet)

4. Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The abomination that is Caitlin Jenner

5. Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

anna080 wrote: »
        The abomination that is Caitlin Jenner

The whole Jenner thing was the moment I realised I was getting old - I can't for the life of me understand how people buy into it - I feel like Grandpa Simpson shouting at clouds.

6. Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Aine Lawlor

Actually I can explain it. . . It's her unbearable smugness

7. Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Can't stand your man who looks like an ogre on the Smirnoff "Beats have no colour" ad. Probably cos he's a **** ugly ****.

8. Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

That utter wanker with the beard off the Bord Bia ad...going on about bacon sandwiches as he plods around in his dirty duffelcoat.

Fcuck him!

9. Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Amanda Brunker
        Fiona Looney
        Blathnaid NiChofaigh
        Kathryn Thomas
        Rosanna Davison
        Pippa O'Connor
        Vogue
        Brian McFadden
        Bono

I'm sure there's more

10. Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

maudgonner wrote: »
        That was me.

You are, on paper, correct in how you have used the word, most dictionaries include that definition. That use of the word is just wrong to me, hence it's my answer to the inexplicably can't stand thread.

11. Advertisement
      12. Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

People who post on threads about inexplicable hatred when their hatred is all too explicable.

Advertisement