Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

HAHA..... how did you get there before all of us when you were planning to leave the latest??
    We'll have to organise a proper meet up for the group in the next couple of weeks before the marathon is over!

Oh a little bit of enterprise and a large bit of bullying! When I saw the tailbacks I continued north on the M1, left it at the next exit and came back onto it southbound. Tailback there was about 1500m, not moving. Impatiently I went back onto the main lane and dived back into a little gap at the end of the slip lane. Was parked by 8.30 :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Wow. What a morning day that was.

Well done all on the PBs in spite of all the madness in and around the HM. Who knows what you'll be able to do when you're not worrying about where to park your car, or if you'll get to a race on time, or when it might even start?

Plenty more good news to come I hope! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Wubble wubble were you wearing a beige cap, sunglasses, bright green T with blue trims.?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Lazare

All the chaos aside, between the 4 mile tailback on the M1, the shambles of a start and the 7k walk back to the car on dangerous roads, I loved every minute of that. :)

The running bit anyway.

Realised late yesterday that my idea of a 1:40 was bananas so settled on a target of 1:45. Came in 1:46:14.

Very happy, more because I felt really strong today, the break has turned out to be a wise move, zero calf issues after that.

Well done everyone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I didn't have the chaos a lot of you had getting in. My OCD about being on time sometimes has its benefits even if it means waiting around for things to start a lot of the time. I was there at 7:45am. It was a nightmare getting out at the end though but at least I wasn't in a rush to be anywhere so stayed fairly chill about the delay.

The race itself: as mentioned my Fingal and FD times predicted a 2:40 time but I went out with the 2:30 pacers. I actually overtook them in the first kilometer and I was thinking to myself that I must be fitter than I even realised.

First half went grand. Most of the hills were gradual enough to be doable. The one just before the Skerries Road turnoff and the one just before Man O' War were the toughest but I got up them and felt proud.

The second half started well with some nice downhills. At 12km the 2:30 pacers passed me. So much for thinking I was fitter than I thought! Once back on the main road (old N1) I found it tough going. Yes, the overall route may have been downhill from there but that didn't mean there were no hills at all and I struggled on them. At 17km, just around the time I lost sight of my pacers, I stopped to walk. I feared once stopped I'd not get going again but I walked for 1km then managed to run on.

One more stop to walk at 20km for about 500m, then on to the finish line feeling like I was giving the last of my energy to get there. Time 2:34 so still faster than I'd expected.

Fuel was regular breakfast of muesli with the addition of a banana which I'd not normally have. Raisins at about 10km and Hi5 gel at about 16km - I took it late in case there were any "ill effects" like the last time I'd used them. I don't know if they helped me as it was soon after that I stopped to walk but maybe I'd not have got running again of I'd not had it. But the important thing at least is that there were no ill effects. At the finish I'd the full 500ml water that came in the goodie bag and when I got back to the car I'd Baby75's patented orange mixture. There was no water on the route by the time I passed at the first two stations so I only got some at the third. That *may* have affected my run too (having to stop to walk) as I'd carried no water with me, instead relying on the organisers to provide it. So I'd count that as further bad organisation on top of the traffic issues. There was also no Lucozade stand though I'd not intended to take any anyway.

A word of kudos to the people of Lusk who gave great support as we passed through. Thanks!

What I learned: get there early, and stick with your pacers even if it does seem like they're going too slow at first.

Exhausted now!

• Advertisement

Like most, had a disaster pre race. Eventually abounded the car on a path of a bridge over the m1 and walked the few km to the start. Got to the start, which we didn't even know was the start till we walked over two little ramps, at about 10.30. 2.20 pacers had gone just ahead of us. No warm up (bar the walk) or stretching.
    Took off and spent pretty much the first 7m ducking and diving to get by people. Anyways, first half was tough, second half was tough because the first half had taken its toll. No water at 6m which I expected was a bummer. Finished in 1.39. Happy to break 1.40 but times aside, the whole buzz and excitement of a first HM was gone before we got to the start. Suppose it's a pb!!!

Well done everyone

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Wubble wubble were you wearing a beige cap, sunglasses, bright green T with blue trims.?

Yes. Couldn't have described me much better myself :pac:

Followed you Ww for much of the second half but couldn't bring myself to say 'are you Ww'. Just thought I'd remembered you saying you were wearing something like that. Thought I'd be looked at like l was a psycho!!! Anyway, couldn't keep with you and off you went. Well done

Followed you Ww for much of the second half but couldn't bring myself to say 'are you Ww'. Just thought I'd remembered you saying you were wearing something like that. Thought I'd be looked at like l was a psycho!!! Anyway, couldn't keep with you and off you went. Well done

Fingal 10k top?

quickbeam wrote: »
    I didn't have the chaos a lot of you had getting in. My OCD about being on time sometimes has its benefits

The second half started well with some nice downhills. At 12km the 2:30 pacers passed me. So much for thinking I was fitter than I thought! Once back on the main road (old N1) I found it tough going. Yes, the overall route may have been downhill from there but that didn't mean there were no hills at all and I struggled on them. At 17km, just around the time I lost sight of my pacers, I stopped to walk. I feared once stopped I'd not get going again but I walked for 1km then managed to run on.

A word of kudos to the people of Lusk who gave great support as we passed through. Thanks!

What I learned: get there early, and stick with your pacers even if it does seem like they're going too slow at first.

Exhausted now!

A lady after my own heart :pac: well done on the run, recover well!

• Advertisement

Fingal 10k top?
    Aye

Aye

Snap! I knew as soon as you said that it had to be you. I only remember about three or four staying with me for any length of time once I picked up my pace. You were way too strong for the runners in that group. Next time out, starting in the right group, you'll fly it. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

I'm not sure how to describe today. I never planned on racing it but still feel a teeny bit disappointed. I promised my running buddy that I would push her up the hills and did just did with a 10km split of 1:05:25 - a lot slower than I wanted but I got her through the worst so mission accomplished. I finished the next 11km in the same time so still a PB overall for a HM but feel like I left a lot on the course today. I know it wasn't the main thing but would love to feel the elation that you all are feeling. I know deep down I can do more. I suppose that it should give me confidence and running past most of the field in the second half was a good feeling. I felt really strong throughout and never once thought of having to walk. Will need to discuss my fueling at a later date. Some major issues post race........WELL DONE to all the novices - was great to have you all in the buildup!

leesider77 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how to describe today. I never planned on racing it but still feel a teeny bit disappointed. I promised my running buddy that I would push her up the hills and did just did with a 10km split of 1:05:25 - a lot slower than I wanted but I got her through the worst so mission accomplished. I finished the next 11km in the same time so still a PB overall for a HM but feel like I left a lot on the course today. I know it wasn't the main thing but would love to feel the elation that you all are feeling. I know deep down I can do more. I suppose that it should give me confidence and running past most of the field in the second half was a good feeling. I felt really strong throughout and never once thought of having to walk. Will need to discuss my fueling at a later date. Some major issues post race........WELL DONE to all the novices - was great to have you all in the buildup!

I know the feeling. I did the FD10 as a training pace run and afterwards felt somewhat deflated.

Yes well done to all the novices, the last couple of days on here helped build enthusiasm and morale. A particular thanks to all the lads...we may (unlikely) lose the drinking competition to the ladies but we gave it proper socks today!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

great results everyone smashing times on a hard enough course

It was crazy at the start all right and no water they were missing 2 water stations i saw one at 5km and at man of war and think so.e didn't even get that.
    Locals were outstanding the support was brilliant and the jellies were great

We started with the 2hr 30 minute pacers well they were a good bit ahead but caught up and passed them. Hubby noticed next pacers balloons in the distance I said we will reel them slowly and by 6km I passed them hubby had gone on ahead.
    I think in the first half I held back a little I knew it was going to be hilly and wanted to be able to keep going and finish strong. After the Man of war I made good use of any downhills

Felt good till the last 4km but I am not a fan of running out on the main road so didn't enjoy that section. eased up a little so I could finish strong and I did. I actually felt a little emotional at the end and finished in 2hrs 11 minutes

I'm so glad I brought my water with me and had my tailwind in it. I was nearly going to leave it but changed my mind. I would of suffered with out it

Again well done everyone

I see they are offering a place in any of the races in the race series next year to anyone who didn't make the start because of delays

Baby75 wrote: »

I see they are offering a place in any of the races in the race series next year to anyone who didn't make the start because of delays

But nothing for people who lost 7 hours of their day for something that should take 3, missed collecting kids from football or whatever their hobby is, were late for work etc. They should bite the bullet and give all entrants a free run next year after that shambles. That being said I had a blast!! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Omeceron

Some great runs today. Well done all.
    leesider77 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how to describe today. I never planned on racing it but still feel a teeny bit disappointed.

Feel exactly the same. Wasn't racing today but felt I could still get a pb.

Plan was to start with the 2:10 pacers for 7 miles and increase to 9 min miles for a small PB.
    Started too far back behind the 2:10 pacers so spent the first 1.5 mile catching them. Stuck with them through the hills and had a little chat with them.
    Pushed on from mile 7 but the headwind on the old Belfast road really hurt me. Couldn't maintain pace and felt like I was going backwards. Struggled to keep mile 12 above PMP.

A PB was still on in the last mile but couldn't go up a gear. I was feeling really lethargic. I did manage a sprint to the line and missed a PB by 5 seconds.

I haven't had a good race series and doubts are creeping in now. Even if I had gotten a PB I still don't I'm racing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Make sure your watch is picking up a signal 10-15 minutes before the start. No point panicking at 9:29

This was great advice - prevented me having a panic attack at beginning!

Well done to everyone with the amazing times! A 2.5hr finish for me - was my first half so it was gonna be a PB anyway. Wasn't too concerned about speed as I was thinking ahead - 2.5hrs will be easy to beat next year! :D

I've not got a marathon in me just yet, so it is at this point that I will bid this thread adieu (was only ever a lurker anyway, so won't be missed) and wish you all the best of luck over the remaining 5weeks. YOU CAN DO THIS!!

Bananaleaf

skyblue46 wrote: »
    But nothing for people who lost 7 hours of their day for something that should take 3, missed collecting kids from football or whatever their hobby is, were late for work etc. They should bite the bullet and give all entrants a free run next year after that shambles. That being said I had a blast!! ;-)

I know lots saying that on facebook as well

Baby75 wrote: »
    I know lots saying that on facebook as well

Ah sometimes **** happens. I've been involved in the organization of a big sports event for the past few years and we have had a few unforeseen disasters despite hundreds of volunteers, Garda help and a dedicated crew on the race for a week. I loved the course, the venue was lovely, the locals enthusiastic...the only problem was the traffic. I think people are hugely overstating issues re water and Lucozade. If you were well fed and watered beforehand it shouldn't be a problem on a half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

Great reports from everyone, so glad to hear it after the traffic problem at the start.

I was stuck on M1 for over an hour, queuing up on the emergency lane. Saw a lot of people jumping over the barriers into thick hedge to do the business, and at least one person got off the car and walked up the slip road. Once we got off M1 at the first roundabout, there were couple of gardai and volunteers out there trying to sort out the situation. They had just blocked off the Donabate road and asked us to drive on the other lane - which really helped, except for those who were walking that way after abandoning their cars somewhere else like Swords road etc. They were a bit peeved off I guess, and some of them didn't want to give way, making it somewhat tricky but still, got into the parking space without much delay. Walked over to the field where the start/assembly area was and at that stage the 2:00 pace group was about to leave. I had to use the facilities, and by the time I was ready, the 2:00 group had moved on. I was undecided between 2h and 2:10, and I didn't fancy hanging around, so I joined the tail end of 2:00 pacer group. Never saw the pacer, just plodded along with the crowd really.

Couple of minor drags were fine, and the first water station was a welcome sight. Then that frigging hill came out of no where. Kept moving, and kept hoping water will be around the corner but nothing. Overall everyone was slowing down around me at this stage, and eventually the climb to ManO'War pub came and half the people were walking. Again kept jogging along hoping that there would be a lucozade station right after Man O'War - I had no food, jellies or gel on me - I was completely at the mercy of couple of mouthfuls of sweet sweet lucozade to carry me along. Picked up speed as soon as crested the hill, making maximum benefit of the downhill even if it was getting windy against me. There was at least one person who was getting medical assistance at this stage, and then someone was on the ground between the ambulance and the aid station - there were a few already helping her and shouting for medics attention. Motored on still looking for that Lucozade stand but then I see R132 again, fire force's drizzle, and I knew it then I have to finish this run on the "empty" - no gel or goodies, just water.

At around 15k mark I could feel myself struggling a bit, so I started the 'Run Index' again. It wasn't too hard to score - all you had to do was keep running as there were a constant stream of walkers. Soon I hit 50, and later on 100 - went up and down around 100 for a while, but eventually my run index got up as far up as 134, which includes an ex-colleague as well :D, and finished at 131. It really helped me focus on moving along at the final stages of the run.

Finish was nice. Herself and kids could see me coming thru in the big screen further up. Got my medal - my first medal ever - despite doing two dozen various races, this is the first medal, I am in love with it to be honest!! Again, there was no water at the finish either. Oh, getting out of the car park too another hour and half...! :/

Overall I finished 2h 7m, a PB of course this being my first half, and it's completely in line with my starting position at the tail end of 2:00 wave. I had some excruciating pain on my right shoulder (deltoid muscle?), but it's gone now. My dreaded headache is coming on now, it was absolutely awful after FD10, I hope it doesn't get that bad this time around. Delighted with how the run went overall, but can not imagine how I will manage doing this twice back to back. In four weeks!!

PS: Sorry about the wall of text.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

positron wrote: »
    Great reports from everyone, so glad to hear it after the traffic problem at the start.

I was stuck on M1 for over an hour, queuing up on the emergency lane. Saw a lot of people jumping over the barriers into thick hedge to do the business, and at least one person got off the car and walked up the slip road. Once we got off M1 at the first roundabout, there were couple of gardai and volunteers out there trying to sort out the situation. They had just blocked off the Donabate road and asked us to drive on the other lane - which really helped, except for those who were walking that way after abandoning their cars somewhere else like Swords road etc. They were a bit peeved off I guess, and some of them didn't want to give way, making it somewhat tricky but still, got into the parking space without much delay. Walked over to the field where the start/assembly area was and at that stage the 2:00 pace group was about to leave. I had to use the facilities, and by the time I was ready, the 2:00 group had moved on. I was undecided between 2h and 2:10, and I didn't fancy hanging around, so I joined the tail end of 2:00 pacer group. Never saw the pacer, just plodded along with the crowd really.

Couple of minor drags were fine, and the first water station was a welcome sight. Then that frigging hill came out of no where. Kept moving, and kept hoping water will be around the corner but nothing. Overall everyone was slowing down around me at this stage, and eventually the climb to ManO'War pub came and half the people were walking. Again kept jogging along hoping that there would be a lucozade station right after Man O'War - I had no food, jellies or gel on me - I was completely at the mercy of couple of mouthfuls of sweet sweet lucozade to carry me along. Picked up speed as soon as crested the hill, making maximum benefit of the downhill even if it was getting windy against me. There was at least one person who was getting medical assistance at this stage, and then someone was on the ground between the ambulance and the aid station - there were a few already helping her and shouting for medics attention. Motored on still looking for that Lucozade stand but then I see R132 again, fire force's drizzle, and I knew it then I have to finish this run on the "empty" - no gel or goodies, just water.

At around 15k mark I could feel myself struggling a bit, so I started the 'Run Index' again. It wasn't too hard to score - all you had to do was keep running as there were a constant stream of walkers. Soon I hit 50, and later on 100 - went up and down around 100 for a while, but eventually my run index got up as far up as 134, which includes an ex-colleague as well :D, and finished at 131. It really helped me focus on moving along at the final stages of the run.

Finish was nice. Herself and kids could see me coming thru in the big screen further up. Got my medal - my first medal ever - despite doing two dozen various races, this is the first medal, I am in love with it to be honest!! Again, there was no water at the finish either. Oh, getting out of the car park too another hour and half...! :/

Overall I finished 2h 7m, a PB of course this being my first half, and it's completely in line with my starting position at the tail end of 2:00 wave. I had some excruciating pain on my right shoulder (deltoid muscle?), but it's gone now. My dreaded headache is coming on now, it was absolutely awful after FD10, I hope it doesn't get that bad this time around. Delighted with how the run went overall, but can not imagine how I will manage doing this twice back to back. In four weeks!!

PS: Sorry about the wall of text.

Well done P. You kept the head so treat it well and make sure to get re-hydrated fully. You should get some medical advice about the headaches at this stage.

I enjoyed your "wall of text" so congrats on both counts :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AshJ0326

Hey Guys!!!

I have been training for the marathon in a fairly simple way. In fact, I would go as far to say as I've shown a bit of disrespect for the event, partly because- I just want to complete it. Or that's how it started anyway!!!

I have always wanted to run a marathon before turning 30. I am heavily involved in sports and have on occasion ran half marathons. As years ticked by, I waited to "want to want to run a marathon" but this dedication to running (sacrificing other sports) simply did not arrive. I decided to sign up anyhow, aim for it and see if it was possible.

I approached training with a very basic plan considering my circumstances (and being honest- dislike for running at times). I would complete 3 runs pre-week. Two 5kms, one long run and possibly look at extending the 5km's later in the plan. I hoped this was realistic for me to stick with, and would not overload my week to the point I began to hate running.

I was left with an unrealistic 12 weeks to marathon having been away on a trip but chanced rapidly jumping up through the long runs. Touch wood I have been able to complete each, some comfortably, some not so comfortably and am currently on track for the marathon without any injuries. I can only speculate that a solid base of fitness from other sports and some running has been my saviour - so far. I have been also taking the runs nice and slowly- with completion the sole aim to build my confidence.

Now, with the marathon in sight, I am beginning to think more of nutrition, pace and dedicating a tiny bit more to training. I am lucky to have a friend with a lot of knowledge in the area of nutrition who guided me in fuelling for todays long run, while previously I have been trying to haphazardly figure it out myself (the thirst returning from a 15 miler without a drop of water was something else).

I have previously ran a half marathon in 2 hrs and do a 5km in about 26mins. I have always said that for the marathon to sneak inside the 5hr mark would be great, training time considered. But deep down- I hope for a little better. And while I have chatted at length I have finally arrived at my questions....................

1) what pace should my long runs be at? If I set out to run the marathon at 4hrs and 40 mins, than would be a pace of 10m 40 a mile.....but should I run the long runs about a minute slower? I have ran two 15 milers at 10m 24s (2hr 36 mins), but today a friend kindly offered to cycle with me from mile 10 of an 18 miler. Conscious of not racing the bike I slowed right down and and chatted away continuously. But I completely lost track of my pace and it took 3hrs 48 mins!! I was very confused by this, but obviously felt very comfortable finishing which I suppose will build confidence, so is maybe worthwhile. However, having never paced myself previously, I think I would like to have some idea to try avoid this again, if possible! I know that to have an aim for a first marathon (especially with my "give it a go" attitude) is not advisable. But it would be nice to have a pace in mind to TRY stick to. Rather than running too slow or too fast without reason bar lack of knowledge.

2) Should I introduce a tempo run into my week? Should I introduce a longer run (10km) into my week? Or am I messing with the system and upping the mileage too late in the game. I play soccer, so that has taken up some time that should be running time. But perhaps that is interval training?

3) Less of a question, more of a statement! I am petrified of the marathon. I am well aware that I have under prepared. Another time, I would love to follow a proper schedule and shoot for the stars. But- today I ran 18 miles with my friend cycling alongside me. That's 3.5 miles further than I ever travelled by foot until I signed up to the marathon. And had I not looked
    reality in the face and decided to temporarily ignore it..........I wouldn't have done that! So, while I am my own worst critic- disappointed by todays time, I'm achieving more even if the bigger goal falls apart from lack of prep.

I still enjoyed it the whole day :) it has made me rethink DCM and seeing if I can stay in Dublin the night before so I am there early I can always stay at my Dads and get the train in or with my sister in the city centre

positron I saw a lot of people being helped and one runner being wheeled away as well that is a good tip on the run index I was not counting just focusing on someone ahead catching them and moving forward, I saw a lot of walkers near the finish as well

I think the water was in our goody bags, at least that is where mine was along with a Lucozade sport and some other drink I love the medal as well is is fantastic and the t-shirt :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Personally I prefer something useful to come with the bag - loved the bandana at Fingal (actually wore it today) and the cup at FD. I'd rather that than a medal which doesn't actually do anything.

Though with everything that went wrong today, it's far, far from top of my list of worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

A girl had a nasty fall at the gate into the last stretch, into Newbridge house. Hope she was okay and got to finish the race. Any of the volunteers/staff I encountered were really helpful, at the end of the day people have to remember it wasn't they're fault.

AshJ0326 wrote: »
    Hey Guys!!!

I have been training for the marathon in a fairly simple way. In fact, I would go as far to say as I've shown a bit of disrespect for the event, partly because- I just want to complete it. Or that's how it started anyway!!!

I have always wanted to run a marathon before turning 30. I am heavily involved in sports and have on occasion ran half marathons. As years ticked by, I waited to "want to want to run a marathon" but this dedication to running (sacrificing other sports) simply did not arrive. I decided to sign up anyhow, aim for it and see if it was possible.

I approached training with a very basic plan considering my circumstances (and being honest- dislike for running at times). I would complete 3 runs pre-week. Two 5kms, one long run and possibly look at extending the 5km's later in the plan. I hoped this was realistic for me to stick with, and would not overload my week to the point I began to hate running.

I was left with an unrealistic 12 weeks to marathon having been away on a trip but chanced rapidly jumping up through the long runs. Touch wood I have been able to complete each, some comfortably, some not so comfortably and am currently on track for the marathon without any injuries. I can only speculate that a solid base of fitness from other sports and some running has been my saviour - so far. I have been also taking the runs nice and slowly- with completion the sole aim to build my confidence.

Now, with the marathon in sight, I am beginning to think more of nutrition, pace and dedicating a tiny bit more to training. I am lucky to have a friend with a lot of knowledge in the area of nutrition who guided me in fuelling for todays long run, while previously I have been trying to haphazardly figure it out myself (the thirst returning from a 15 miler without a drop of water was something else).

I have previously ran a half marathon in 2 hrs and do a 5km in about 26mins. I have always said that for the marathon to sneak inside the 5hr mark would be great, training time considered. But deep down- I hope for a little better. And while I have chatted at length I have finally arrived at my questions....................

1) what pace should my long runs be at? If I set out to run the marathon at 4hrs and 40 mins, than would be a pace of 10m 40 a mile.....but should I run the long runs about a minute slower? I have ran two 15 milers at 10m 24s (2hr 36 mins), but today a friend kindly offered to cycle with me from mile 10 of an 18 miler. Conscious of not racing the bike I slowed right down and and chatted away continuously. But I completely lost track of my pace and it took 3hrs 48 mins!! I was very confused by this, but obviously felt very comfortable finishing which I suppose will build confidence, so is maybe worthwhile. However, having never paced myself previously, I think I would like to have some idea to try avoid this again, if possible! I know that to have an aim for a first marathon (especially with my "give it a go" attitude) is not advisable. But it would be nice to have a pace in mind to TRY stick to. Rather than running too slow or too fast without reason bar lack of knowledge.

2) Should I introduce a tempo run into my week? Should I introduce a longer run (10km) into my week? Or am I messing with the system and upping the mileage too late in the game. I play soccer, so that has taken up some time that should be running time. But perhaps that is interval training?

3) Less of a question, more of a statement! I am petrified of the marathon. I am well aware that I have under prepared. Another time, I would love to follow a proper schedule and shoot for the stars. But- today I ran 18 miles with my friend cycling alongside me. That's 3.5 miles further than I ever travelled by foot until I signed up to the marathon. And had I not looked
    reality in the face and decided to temporarily ignore it..........I wouldn't have done that! So, while I am my own worst critic- disappointed by todays time, I'm achieving more even if the bigger goal falls apart from lack of prep.

Long and slow is good, don't worry about that. There are no prizes for training times but lots of benefits from time on your feet. My easy runs are 90secs a mile slower than my half today, my long runs are over 2 mins slower. There's a Boardsie here, Choons, whose times are even slower relative to his race pace. Don't get sucked into running fast every time you're out. One pace run (marathon pace) is enough as your only kinda fast day.

PS. I'm over 50 so plenty of time to get your first done....I've waited this long!
    ;)

quickbeam wrote: »
    Personally I prefer something useful to come with the bag - loved the bandana at Fingal (actually wore it today) and the cup at FD. I'd rather that than a medal which doesn't actually do anything.

Though with everything that went wrong today, it's far, far from top of my list of worries.

A can of Guinness would be good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

skyblue46 wrote: »
    A can of Guinness would be good :D

Or a fast pass to get out of the place

• Advertisement

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Or a fast pass to get out of the place

The only fast way out of it was by helicopter! Certainly not by land :rolleyes:

Advertisement