Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

sillymoo wrote: »
    God I need to pee so badly. Marathon for my bladder this morning

I just went for one at the side of m1. Such relief!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I'm here but reading this I can't even see a 10am start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

What a joke no update at 9:30 and still at home if it's 10 start I won't make it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

They keep saying it's ten start but still looks absolutely mental. Heading down to the start now will be with the 1.40 pacers, temple street t shirt say hello!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I'm in field by the toilets asked to wait as we are looking at 2hrs lol

So nervous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Baby75 wrote: »
    I'm in field by the toilets asked to wait as we are looking at 2hrs lol

So nervous

I'm on foot now. Car abandoned. Anyone tell me where helpdwsk is? Hopefully will make it. And they will give me new number

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I'm on foot now. Car abandoned. Anyone tell me where helpdwsk is? Hopefully will make it. And they will give me new number
    I haven't seen it the Stuards will know still time they are moving some up to the start now

Well that was unexpected.

1:35:29.

Well done absolutely everyone after a disaster of a morning. Hope everyone got there in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well done Damo.

Just in from my lsr and catching up on all your posts. What a nightmare morning for most of you! Sounds like a complete disaster there. Hope the race itself was enjoyable after that and looking forward to reading reports.

Off for an Epsom salts bath here. LSR was tough. Wind was strong at times but think I went out too fast. Tried to eat a fig roll for energy - not easy while running I found :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

1.43.28. Absolutely nailed that race. PB by about 5 minutes.

Buzzing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Aimed for 2hours, got 1.48. Delighted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

That was my first half and what an awful experience, late update race was starting at 10am so I got on bike and raced to newbridge. Got there after 10:10 or so and ran to start line started watch at 10:15 could see balloons up ahead for pacers had planned to go with sub 1:30 guys . Had to run all over the road up on ditches to pass people , clipped over a curb and fell at 2-3mile , really peed off now no room to pass people .
    I kept running but I was running fast if I saw a gap then slowing down again.
    Got to 4 miles and the constant fast slow running had drained my legs . Decided to just run at marathon pace and use it as a session did 3 or 4K at around 4:30 pace , I was still over taking people and moved up behind 1:50 pacers .

I was thinking about how I was going to explain this terrible run to Others that's I said I was aiming for 1:30 to and getting more annoyed by the second, decided that 1:30 was gone but I'll go for 1:35 think my pb from training is 1:45 . Pushed on and went through 10k in 43:44 reminded myself i should be 40:50 here or something , when we turned at man o war I took my anger out on the course and just let go ran a few 3:50 km's I was looking at my average pace coming down each km and kept going harder , 1:30 was coming back in sight I couldn't believe it just kept pushing second 10km was 40mins 40 or so , finished in 1:29:06 delighted to go sub 1:30 but would like to see what I could do racing with pacers and not giving up for a few km .

Well done all

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭excitementcity

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    They keep saying it's ten start but still looks absolutely mental. Heading down to the start now will be with the 1.40 pacers, temple street t shirt say hello!!

Hey damo hope you're race went well. My hubby was pacing the 1:40...

That was my first half and what an awful experience, late update race was starting at 10am so I got on bike and raced to newbridge. Got there after 10:10 or so and ran to start line started watch at 10:15 could see balloons up ahead for pacers had planned to go with sub 1:30 guys . Had to run all over the road up on ditches to pass people , clipped over a curb and fell at 2-3mile , really peed off now no room to pass people .
    I kept running but I was running fast if I saw a gap then slowing down again.
    Got to 4 miles and the constant fast slow running had drained my legs . Decided to just run at marathon pace and use it as a session did 3 or 4K at around 4:30 pace , I was still over taking people and moved up behind 1:50 pacers .

I was thinking about how I was going to explain this terrible run to Others that's I said I was aiming for 1:30 to and getting more annoyed by the second, decided that 1:30 was gone but I'll go for 1:35 think my pb from training is 1:45 . Pushed on and went through 10k in 43:44 reminded myself i should be 40:50 here or something , when we turned at man o war I took my anger out on the course and just let go ran a few 3:50 km's I was looking at my average pace coming down each km and kept going harder , 1:30 was coming back in sight I couldn't believe it just kept pushing second 10km was 40mins 40 or so , finished in 1:29:06 delighted to go sub 1:30 but would like to see what I could do racing with pacers and not giving up for a few km .

Well done all

Wow legend stuff. You must be thrilled after you went through. Well done you

Exhausted is the word. Still thrilled with my 2:05 time given I had to walk 4k before I even got there then everything was all over the place, couldn't get near 2 hour pacers due to the congestion at the start hill. Hill after hill but pulled it back in the second half and actually thrilled with my time. Proper report later but wrecked now after our long walk back to the car

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well done all. Sounds like great races in tough conditions :)

Hey damo hope you're race went well. My hubby was pacing the 1:40...

The start was a disaster, very poorly organised I thought and after only figuring out where the wave 1 pacers were I had to run to the start line and when I turned the corner I seen the pacers wayyyy ahead, took me about 2 miles to catch up with them, well about 150 yards behind them. Stuck like that and finally caught up with him at mile 8.

"ive been trying to find you for the last 8 miles!" I said to him, he said "don't stop here so!" and off I went :D

The start was a disaster, very poorly organised I thought and after only figuring out where the wave 1 pacers were I had to run to the start line and when I turned the corner I seen the pacers wayyyy ahead, took me about 2 miles to catch up with them, well about 150 yards behind them. Stuck like that and finally caught up with him at mile 8.

"ive been trying to find you for the last 8 miles!" I said to him, he said "don't stop here so!" and off I went :D

Brilliant lol

Super stuff Damo. Now I'm delighted that I twisted your arm to put that fast pace of yours to use. :D

Well done too to Roland and clicker for great runs. Like most people I got totally detached from (in fact never found them at the start) the 1.50 pacers I was planning to go with. I started 15 minutes after the gun and after the initial chaos settled into a nice watch paced run. Was aiming for an even split 1.45 but the legs were ok so I picked it up a bit on the downhill. Finished in 1.40.45, a more than 7 minute PB so I'm thrilled to bits!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Super stuff Damo. Now I'm delighted that I twisted your arm to put that fast pace of yours to use. :D

Well done too to Roland and clicker for great runs. Like most people I got totally detached from (in fact never found them at the start) the 1.50 pacers I was planning to go with. I started 15 minutes after the gun and after the initial chaos settled into a nice watch paced run. Was aiming for an even split 1.45 but the legs were ok so I picked it up a bit on the downhill. Finished in 1.40.45, a more than 7 minute PB so I'm thrilled to bits!!!

Wow, that is a super time! Agree, organisation was a shambles. But I don't care right now too happy with how I ran.

Now. Steak and pints.

• Advertisement

Smashing run Skyblue, well deserved you've been absolutely killing the training I knew you'd do better then thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

;)Amazing times coming in from everyone,even with the chaotic start! well done excitmentcity, Roland, sky blue, Damo, clicker and beakerjoe!

I ended up abandoning my car on the swords road too and walking most of the way (managed to hitch a lift about 1k from the entrance) By the time I walked down the avenue I decided not to worry about times and try and enjoy it! But shock of all shocks I got a PB of 2:01:30. Yesterday I was hoping to get 2hrs so I absolutely delighted.

Who said we'd have plenty of time pre race for a meet up??? :D;)

;)Amazing times coming in from everyone,even with the chaotic start! well done excitmentcity, Roland, sky blue, Damo, clicker and beakerjoe!

I ended up abandoning my car on the swords road too and walking most of the way (managed to hitch a lift about 1k from the entrance) By the time I walked down the avenue I decided not to worry about times and try and enjoy it! But shock of all shocks I got a PB of 2:01:30. Yesterday I was hoping to get 2hrs so I absolutely delighted.

Yay well done! Super time!

Erm ...... That would have been me! And I was right but ye were all late!!!! :D

Well done on your run, great effort.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Erm ...... That would have been me! And I was right but ye were all late!!!! :D

HAHA..... how did you get there before all of us when you were planning to leave the latest??
    We'll have to organise a proper meet up for the group in the next couple of weeks before the marathon is over!

ariana` wrote: »
    Yay well done! Super time!

Thanks ariana, hopefully this means a 4.20 marathon!

Ah brilliant good on you

I hope you made it sillymoo and had a good race x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I found that really tough but I'm wondering if it's all mental.
    I had the Man of War pub as my target as I knew it was the end of the hills.
    I then missed the water station there. The decent was fine but when we hit the plateau, I hit a wall. Struggled for the last 3 miles. Probably the worst I've felt in any half marathon. So demoralising getting passed by so many people.
    I managed to keep my head so I kept running, just not at a decent pace.
    Came in just under 1.50 so not a total disaster. I did better back in Cork in June.

The start was a shambles. I abandoned my car 4km away from the start. I jogged to the start line and got there just on time.

• Advertisement

Heebus you didn't miss the water at the man o, there wasnt one there!! I helped a girl with a little boy in a wheelchair up the big hill, I told her to keep running and that ill get her a water and catch up, felt terrible when there was none :( Collecting my t shirt a couple of people were complaining about it. It has to be back to the park next year!

Advertisement