Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 211 - Miocic vs dos Santos 2

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Django99 wrote: »

No real interest in WMMA and I barely watched the JJ fight, I wish WMMA had their own cards. She's obviously extremely good but I just have no interest in watching their fights.

i find this odd. aside from maia, she was the most technically impressive fighter on that card last night. she's amazing to watch.

If Stipe had any kind of charisma in public he would be an absolute superstar earning millions back to back first round ko's.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

froog wrote: »
    i find this odd. aside from maia, she was the most technically impressive fighter on that card last night. she's amazing to watch.

Oh I agree she is very talented, but I just don't find myself caring who wins those fights or maybe they just don't excite me.

I'd much prefer if every WMMA fight on main cards was replaced by a men's fight to be honest.

And I'd also find it interesting to see whether many would tune in to see a card of WMMA only, I kind of doubt they would.

Gamebred wrote: »
    If Stipe had any kind of charisma in public he would be an absolute superstar earning millions back to back first round ko's.

In fairness he is kind of funny and comes across very well in embedded videos, I honestly think he doesn't care too much about the money and fame side of things. Still works as a firefighter when he's surely financially stable as a fighter. Makes me love him even more.

• Advertisement

Yeah I know hes pretty witty on them but if he even made some sort of effort to play up the fact hes the baddest man walking the planet he could make a nice few million hes on some tear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Oh I agree she is very talented, but I just don't find myself caring who wins those fights or maybe they just don't excite me.

I'd much prefer if every WMMA fight on main cards was replaced by a men's fight to be honest.

And I'd also find it interesting to see whether many would tune in to see a card of WMMA only, I kind of doubt they would.

I couldn't stay up last night so this morning I watched in order of my interest
    Frankie v lanky
    Joanna v bulldog lady
    Eddie v Dustin
    Junior v stipe
    The other fights
    and I think I enjoyed and got value in the order I watched them

Maia is an absolute beast. Unfortunately he can be the best at jiu jitsu all he wants, the casual fans want to see people get knocked out and they are the ones who buy majority of the PPVs. I can understand why UFC dont want him to be champion, he is boring personality and doesn't KO people.

Personally I love watching Maia fight but I can understand that he wont sell PPVs and the UFC are looking for stars. WME want $$$ they dont give a fuark who is rightful champion or not.

Tigger wrote: »
    I couldn't stay up last night so this morning I watched in order of my interest
    Frankie v lanky
    Joanna v bulldog lady
    Eddie v Dustin
    Junior v stipe
    The other fights
    and I think I enjoyed and got value in the order I watched them

Fair enough, will have to agree to disagree on this one!

Had you not much interest in Maia v Masvidal? That was the one I was looking forward to the most, and although there was little damage it was some chess match.

Lots seem to be feeling that Woodley will have too much for Maia, but I think he'll beat him. Masvidal was even better than Gunni at defending himself last night, don't think Woodley will be able to stop a choke.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I've also got little interest in Maia, he'll always have that 112 stink for me, a guy who's brilliant at bjj but loses to the real elite fighters

• Advertisement

I've also got little interest in Maia, he'll always have that 112 stink for me, a guy who's brilliant at bjj but loses to the real elite fighters

I get what your saying about real elite but he's ran through his last 7 opponents who are all different styles I think that list is very impressive, maybe not belt holders but anyone can beat anyone on a given night the way he destroyed a grappling expert on the mat in Gunnar was incredible and strangling Condit was pretty elite stuff, hes been finished once and hes nearly 40 thats some career,

Has more wins in UFC than any Brazlian ever, I class him as a great of combat and winning the belt off Woodley would be an incredible end to his career aged 40.

I get what your saying about real elite but he's ran through his last 7 opponents who are all different styles I think that list is very impressive, maybe not belt holders but anyone can beat anyone on a given night the way he destroyed a grappling expert on the mat in Gunnar was incredible and strangling Condit was pretty elite stuff, hes been finished once and hes nearly 40 thats some career,

Has more wins in UFC than any Brazlian ever, I class him as a great of combat and winning the belt off Woodley would be an incredible end to his career aged 40.

Yeah but you are an mma fan and enjoy watching the sport as a whole. A lot of the people who buy ppvs are very casual fans and WME seems to be appealing to these people all the time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Miocic via Submission
    I'd rather it was the other way around. Joshua has the athleticism and the work ethic to make an impact in MMA if he ever went down that route, and he's still young enough.

McGregor has created a huge mess with this Mayweather bollocks though.

Fuarking now look what Conor has done :o

Hopefully Dana says Conor to F off he is an mma fighter not a boxer and he has to fight. If he lets Conor away with this stuff the rest of the roster will think that they can also do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

martyos121 wrote: »
    I'd rather it was the other way around. Joshua has the athleticism and the work ethic to make an impact in MMA if he ever went down that route, and he's still young enough.

McGregor has created a huge mess with this Mayweather bollocks though.

His bank account is much happier in boxing

Anyone catch the salaries last night whats Stipe earning?

If I remember correctly from something I heard on a podcast it was like 800k or something, I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Miocic via Submission
    Must caught up on the fights after work, was a balls avoiding the internet all day but glad I did, some epic fights. Goddamn JJ is so impressive, Stipe is a nasty mofo, Eddie Dustin had me standing, couldn't believe what was what happening, I thought masvidal would have getting the nod for damage done but beaming Maia got the win but Damien...... Don't believe his lies. As much as I like Yair, im beaming for Frankie, I'd like to see him vs Max for the belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I don't think they come more elite than Maia

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Fair enough, will have to agree to disagree on this one!

Had you not much interest in Maia v Masvidal? That was the one I was looking forward to the most, and although there was little damage it was some chess match.

Lots seem to be feeling that Woodley will have too much for Maia, but I think he'll beat him. Masvidal was even better than Gunni at defending himself last night, don't think Woodley will be able to stop a choke.
    Sorry I thought I wrote that first (stupid phone )
    Yeah Maia v gamebred was the first I watched
    Woodley is a one two ; it's over fighter and I think he's got a 50:50 shot
    I thought gamebred did better than I thought he would

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I don't think they come more elite than Maia

Elite bjj maybe, but look at the guys he's lost to versus who he's beaten; McDonald, Silva, Weidman, those are elite well rounded fighters. Condit is up there too, but who else from his list of victories?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

When he beat Overeem at UFC 203 he got
    $600,000 (no win bonus)

Brendan Schaub was saying during the week, or sometime anyway, that the fighters should get their own publicist if they want to start becoming a name and not rely on the UFC to do it for them. He seemed to think Ronda and McGregor both did this and it really really helped them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,827 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

mailburner wrote: »

finding it hard to see past joanna also, think andrade could be outclassed in a similiar way to which lineker was against tj
    Different levels there complete walkover was like Lineker v TJ.
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,827 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

delighted for maia finally getting a shot but he won't give woodley much of a fight
    I'd much rather have seen masvidal win that as I believe he may have beaten woodley

it'll be as exciting as the the woodley wonderboy fights

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭tinpib

Re-watching Alverez/Poirier, Christ Eddie's missus is a nuisance. I didn't notice it at all last night either.

It's fukcing outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

tinpib wrote:
    Re-watching Alverez/Poirier, Christ Eddie's missus is a nuisance. I didn't notice it at all last night either.

I've no idea how you could have missed it.......I wish I had missed it, unfortunately I had headphones on 😲

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭tinpib

jcd5971 wrote: »
    I've no idea how you could have missed it.......I wish I had missed it, unfortunately I had headphones on 😲

Ya, neither do I. Delighted to have missed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Miocic via Submission
    mailburner wrote: »
    delighted for maia finally getting a shot but he won't give woodley much of a fight
    I'd much rather have seen masvidal win that as I believe he may have beaten woodley

it'll be as exciting as the the woodley wonderboy fights

Ah in fairness the first woodley v wonderboy fight was epic.

I think woodley will knock maia out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ricero wrote: »
    I think woodley will knock maia out

Woodley will fight a very scared fight in that one.

Although, ATT have the blueprint to beat Maia. We've seen that with Masvidal. Woodley is going to soak all of that up. Plus he's got Yoel at MW for the explosive defensive wrestling and Shoeface for BJJ.

Advertisement