Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Athlone thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lucalux

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭carq

check westmeath independent.

'Reporter - ' wont it be a shame Athlone will have no TD's?''

Boxer - '' That's Athlone's fault ''

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Hold the front pages...

Last count hes in 4th. 4 seats going. No FF lad is near to the quota so transfers of their votes ain't happnin.

Why is he conceding?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Hold the front pages...

Last count hes in 4th. 4 seats going. No FF lad is near to the quota so transfers of their votes ain't happnin.

Why is he conceding?

Look at the order of the people getting eliminated later. Lots of FG votes below him.

FG, Labour, Green, FG again. Enough there for Peter Burke FG to leapfrog Boxer.

Independent vote share of first preferences down 12.4%. FG/FF share actually up slightly, SF up 11.5%.

McFaddens votes must be going his way from the Athlone section.

I wouldnt call the fight yet

• Advertisement

Alot of land by the Southern station road not at all used either by BE or even planned for new road.

Why doesn't development get done there? It seems to be a uniquely irish thing to have to go past wasted land to get to or from somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

A lot of land by the Southern station road not at all used either by BE or even planned for new road.

All owned by CIE, I think.

Dog in the manger - no money or plans to develop it, no way they are giving it up.

Alot of land by the Southern station road not at all used either by BE or even planned for new road.

Why doesn't development get done there? It seems to be a uniquely irish thing to have to go past wasted land to get to or from somewhere.

Probably someone waiting for a buyer who is willing to pay "what it's worth" for it, usually a pie in the sky valuation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭CFlat

Boxer may dust down his taxi instead of his boat, hard to see him get a seat again after those comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

Boxer was never the smartest, but definitely one of most hard working and honest. I think his comments have to be put in context of the absolute shock he must be in. Given his record in office as a doer.

Many of those commenting on thejournal don't lift a finger for their communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Looks like Boxer has been thrown a lifeline, alot of transfers gained on 9th count

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I wonder will Boxer have the decency to apologise to the voters if he retains his seat? Personally based on his behaviour I'd be quite happy if he loses out on a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Looks like he's just been eliminated

scarepanda wrote: »
    Looks like he's just been eliminated

Deserved to be, based on his contempt for the voting public.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

slave1 wrote: »
    Wow, those comments below the article itself

Odious stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

Bad news for the town having no TD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Boxers comments were ill judged. It must be hurtful not to get re elected. There are better ways of expressing disappointment. He may have ruined his career in politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

I honestly can't understand the online negativity towards Boxer. He has a right to be disappointed. He was only a TD for 4 years, and in that time he helped bring so much public investment to the town: New Coosan NS, Church St project, cycleway extension, Garda station revamp, permanent flood barriers, etc.

What more could he have done in such a short space of time?

He was undoubtedly a hard worker and the fact that he was voted out will be a serious setback for the town.

I honestly can't understand the online negativity towards Boxer. He has a right to be disappointed. He was only a TD for 4 years, and in that time he helped bring so much public investment to the town: New Coosan NS, Church St project, cycleway extension, Garda station revamp, permanent flood barriers, etc.

What more could he have done in such a short space of time?

He was undoubtedly a hard worker and the fact that he was voted out will be a serious setback for the town.

Nothing, it ludicrous people vote for a Sinn Fein candidate in Longford rather than an Independent local option. The same Sinn Fein candidate failed to get get in in the recent local elections. Longford and Mullingar will benefit big time in the next few years/months until another election takes place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Nothing, it ludicrous people vote for a Sinn Fein candidate in Longford rather than an Independent local option. The same Sinn Fein candidate failed to get get in in the recent local elections. Longford and Mullingar will benefit big time in the next few years/months until another election takes place.

isn't Clarke a mullingar based candidate?

isn't Clarke a mullingar based candidate?
    Yes correct my mistake

I wouldn't write boxers political obituary just yet. It's a few comments from the heat of moment when he was down.

People expect SF to deliver some big ticket practical actions in a short time frame. If this isn't achieved the electorate might well favour practical lads like boxer again. I think if there's another election within 12 months, he'll have a shot at a comeback. There's an element that people thought his seat was safe.

rn wrote: »
    I wouldn't write boxers political obituary just yet. It's a few comments from the heat of moment when he was down.

People expect SF to deliver some big ticket practical actions in a short time frame. If this isn't achieved the electorate might well favour practical lads like boxer again. I think if there's another election within 12 months, he'll have a shot at a comeback. There's an element that people thought his seat was safe.
    Insulting the voters is never a good idea. Btw the seat belongs to the people whom then allowed Boxer to occupy it for 4 years which he was well renumerated for.
    Time for him to enjoy his boat.

I get that your don't like boxer. Let's see how sorca Clark gets on delivering for Athlone v boxers track record 2016-2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Whatever he may have done, its clear that the number of people he rubbed up the wrong way for whatever reason, outnumbered the number of people he done things for, and instead of being graceful in defeat he pretty much blamed the people he didn't help for his own demise.

I'm not well up on the intricacies of the army pay restoration, and I cant remember if he official abstained or hid until the vote was over, but to live in a garrison town and not be seen to support them (even if it was never going to come good) is crazy. A lot of army votes that would have been bankers for him ended up going to SF.

And as for the "see how little is done now" ... for many it will make no difference as if they got nothing from him during his time then they have nothing to miss. Personally when I needed the Boxer, all I got was the Bluffer

As for his political future, rumors of his next move already circulating which will certainly rub some more people up the wrong way if it comes to pass :pac:

As I recall I thought he did great work the last time the town was flooded. Working all hours to help people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

holyhead wrote: »
    As I recall I thought he did great work the last time the town was flooded. Working all hours to help people.

With the help of the army ... who he subsequently turned his back on

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    With the help of the army ... who he subsequently turned his back on

Fair point re the army but still he did trojan work. However his lack of grace post election may have ended his political career. Absolutely daft comment he made.

His best line would have been "I accepted the will of the people when they voted me in. I also have to now accept the will of the people when they voted for change" etc.

• Advertisement

Everyone isn't employed by the army. It always makes a difference when there is government infrastructure being developed locally. It means more cash moving around the local economy.

Of course if Sorca is pro army pay restoration and has a hand in making it happen, great. I think army pay restoration is well down the SF list of priorities though.

Advertisement