Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

4ensic15 wrote: »
    In Athlone, once you don't park on the Far Side, you will have no problem.

And if you aren't sure which is the far side just remember the left bank is on the right bank of the river and the far side is subjective to who you ask.

Plenty of parking around the Radisson, just remember to get a parking ticket if parking outside the hotel park as the traffic warden likes to walk around that area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

thanks for the advice folks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Corrib Oil are recruiting for a Store manager for their newly acquired service station in Athlone.
    https://www.corriboil.com/job/store-manager-athlone-co-westmeath/

Anyone know which station? I suspect it's Ballymahon Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Did the orange loop today. Traffic badly backed up on Northgate St. Confusion as to right of way as one turns right from Church St. Another idiot thought Mardyke St was two lane oneway and proceeded to pass me out before pulling into the taxi rank on Church St. The left hand continuation of the loop from the Train Station is very cumbersome unless your pulling onto the Ballymahon Road. Maybe it'll all work out but christ it's a long loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,170 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The whole this is a disaster really. There’s big tailbacks at the old hospital now and there never was before. Also the quality of the work the council do on the roads is a disgrace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

It's after taking me 15 minutes to get from the roundabout at Dunnes Stores Irishtown to the front of the Sheraton. You can't turn left at the top of Broderick Street.

the town planners really wanted a oneway system, but it's clear that they didn't think it through and made it worse by adding in additional bottlebecks!
    I really have no confidence in them sorting it out, their only solution seems to be more traffic lights. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

the town planners really wanted a oneway system, but it's clear that they didn't think it through and made it worse by adding in additional bottlebecks!
    I really have no confidence in them sorting it out, their only solution seems to be more traffic lights. :mad:

I still think we missed a trick in not having a 2nd town bridge linking near the back of golden island and knocking mardyke house. we're trying to work with a street plan which doesn't lend itself to a one way system esp when most of the traffic is trying to get in to the town centre/golden island.

A second way into golden island really is a must.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

there are two ways

one, down the town from the bus station
    two, from Athlone IT direction

a more sustainable way would be to develop the Roscommon side more and bring more traffic and footfall over that side

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

The problem is getting out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

There was a proposal to build a new road from the Kilmartins roundabout around to the South and direct to Golden Island, opening up land for development.

I didn't here more about that following the flooding in 2009 when all that land was well underwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

There was a proposal to build a new road from the Kilmartins roundabout around to the South and direct to Golden Island, opening up land for development.

I didn't here more about that following the flooding in 2009 when all that land was well underwater.
    There is a back road into Golden Island from near Kilmartins roundabout, if you go down the road behind Michel Moores garage it will eventually bring you out beside Aldi. But it's only room enough for one car and it's at risk of flooding over in the winter.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    There is a back road into Golden Island from near Kilmartins roundabout, if you go down the road behind Michel Moores garage it will eventually bring you out beside Aldi. But it's only room enough for one car and it's at risk of flooding over in the winter.

I've heard that numerous times in the last several years. I'm sure it would help relieve traffic to an extent.

Church street closed completely now? What the fcuk are they doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭flazio

MadYaker wrote: »
    Church street closed completely now? What the fcuk are they doing?

It's Sunday so there might be an event on. Events tend to happen on the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

flazio wrote:
    It's Sunday so there might be an event on. Events tend to happen on the weekend.

No event, the street near nuts corner is being torn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I think there's 6 more weeks of this unfortunately.

Glass half full, its a good way to get more people walking and cycling. Those who need to shop etc also learn through necessity the best ways to approach town.

On a lighter note, i'm sure they called it the Orange Loop because it's a coconut. ;)

Glass half full, its a good way to get more people walking and cycling. Those who need to shop etc also learn through necessity the best ways to approach town.

On a lighter note, i'm sure they called it the Orange Loop because it's a coconut. ;)

Or they go shop in a different town. My parents live in Monksland. Quicker for them to drive to Ballinasloe than try to get to Golden Island.

• Advertisement

Hitman3000 wrote: »

Or they go shop in a different town. My parents live in Monksland. Quicker for them to drive to Ballinasloe than try to get to Golden Island.
    What part of exxageration-traz, sorry Monksland are they from? I also am from Monksland and can still get into GI via bypass and Ballymahon Road in 10 minutes or less.
    Even if one can get to Ballinasloe any quicker, its Ballinasloe. I say the same to anyone going to Roscommon (albeit they do have some choice of shops). Athlone is the only game in town in the midlands for shopping and that is why they are making it more pedestrian friendly. 
    People will get used to the new design. The older people will take longer to adjust as with any major changes. Across the country (College Green in Dublin the best example), pedestrianisation, one-way systems and cyclist/public transport encouragement is being pushed forward. Teething problems due to people's natural resistance to change. If you want to say "it'll never work", check out Shop Street, Grafton Street, Henry Street, Cruises Street. They also had naysayers with their "It'll be quicker to drive to Nenagh" or the likes. :angel:
    I think this is the best things to happen Athlone in ages.If it can be combined with more residential zoning in town, the place will thrive.

What part of exxageration-traz, sorry Monksland are they from?

What kind of a smart ass response is this?

What part of exxageration-traz, sorry Monksland are they from? I also am from Monksland and can still get into GI via bypass and Ballymahon Road in 10 minutes or less.
    Even if one can get to Ballinasloe any quicker, its Ballinasloe. I say the same to anyone going to Roscommon (albeit they do have some choice of shops). Athlone is the only game in town in the midlands for shopping and that is why they are making it more pedestrian friendly.
    People will get used to the new design. The older people will take longer to adjust as with any major changes. Across the country (College Green in Dublin the best example), pedestrianisation, one-way systems and cyclist/public transport encouragement is being pushed forward. Teething problems due to people's natural resistance to change. If you want to say "it'll never work", check out Shop Street, Grafton Street, Henry Street, Cruises Street. They also had naysayers with their "It'll be quicker to drive to Nenagh" or the likes. :angel:
    I think this is the best things to happen Athlone in ages.If it can be combined with more residential zoning in town, the place will thrive.
    My missus prefers to go to the Aldi in Ballinasloe that to fight the traffic in town, even though it can be 5 minutes longer.
    We live just outside town on the south western side ( old N6)

My missus prefers to go to the Aldi in Ballinasloe that to fight the traffic in town, even though it can be 5 minutes longer. We live just outside town on the south western side ( old N6)

Took me 20 minutes yesterday to get from GI to the roundabout near the Springs.

Clueless in Athlone, it gets worse, one car stops in the wrong place and another just jumps the red light after going the wrong way down Sean Costello Rd (or is that two way again :confused:)

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    What kind of a smart ass response is this?

Your half right (the smart bit in that i deal in facts). I did Monksland to parked at Golden Island (5.50 this evening) in 8 minutes, thus making boots before closing. Even flat out i could not make Ballinasloe's fine range of stores(Tesco/Aldi?) in that amount of time.

People make these silly claims about time spent to get places when clearly it's not physically possible. Neither time, fuel or choice is improved upon by going to Roscommon/Ballinasloe. If it makes them feel better or to make a ridiculous point in the pubs/boards, then best of luck to them.

How i wish this guy existed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lRIQGU2RRk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Did you come along the bypass and down the Ballymahon Road? I had to do a u turn on Sean Costelloe St as traffic was backed up from the lights to near Supermacs around 5:45 this evening.

The entire Centre of town was totally clogged at 2pm on a Sunday

holyhead wrote: »
    Did you come along the bypass and down the Ballymahon Road?.

Yes.

The Orange Loop is like scratchcards. You make more profit by avoiding it than engaging in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Great parking on church street at the minute.. I left my car right in the middle of the road outside nuts on Saturday night....mighty.

Advertisement