Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,170 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Golden Island looks closed to me although I did see a tractor ploughing the car park earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

G.I. facebook page said they were closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Rasmus wrote: »
    G.I. facebook page said they were closed.

And it would appear some scumbags took advantage and raided a few stores.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

flazio wrote: »
    And it would appear some scumbags took advantage and raided a few stores.

Yeah I was in today and the damage to Parks was quite bad. The place was ransacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭roosterman71

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Ireland was much better prepared for the recent snow event except for the people who died on the roads and the woman who died in the house fire but we can be thankful no other major disaster occurred.

Good to see the range of equipment available from other industries, construction and agriculture which can be readily applied to clearing snow.

Now all that is needed is a payment system to employ people at short notice to plough local areas, streets and car parks when the snow event is over but the fallen snow needs to be cleared.

Also badly needed is an information system for transport users to track road closures and areas of high difficulty on an hourly basis. I had to walk my estate to determine road conditions as far as the nearest main road.

Serves me right for being a recluse instead of getting to know my neighbours better. A few phone calls to strategically placed neighbours could have saved me a lot of walking.

I was hugely impressed that some farmers with hard to reach land and stock were able to call up neighbours nearer their outlying fields to check up on their stock for them. Saving them a risky trip in a car or tractor.

I know that some estates hire a man with a tractor to mow the common green areas during the summer. Could a similar arrangement be done for snow ploughing in the events like we have seen in the last few days??

Would there be insurance or technical issues involved in allowing casual workers to snowplough minor roads as these seem to be the ones that suffered most in the recent snow event??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

doolox wrote: »
    Ireland was much better prepared for the recent snow event except for the people who died on the roads and the woman who died in the house fire but we can be thankful no other major disaster occurred.

Good to see the range of equipment available from other industries, construction and agriculture which can be readily applied to clearing snow.

Now all that is needed is a payment system to employ people at short notice to plough local areas, streets and car parks when the snow event is over but the fallen snow needs to be cleared.

Also badly needed is an information system for transport users to track road closures and areas of high difficulty on an hourly basis. I had to walk my estate to determine road conditions as far as the nearest main road.

Serves me right for being a recluse instead of getting to know my neighbours better. A few phone calls to strategically placed neighbours could have saved me a lot of walking.

I was hugely impressed that some farmers with hard to reach land and stock were able to call up neighbours nearer their outlying fields to check up on their stock for them. Saving them a risky trip in a car or tractor.

I know that some estates hire a man with a tractor to mow the common green areas during the summer. Could a similar arrangement be done for snow ploughing in the events like we have seen in the last few days??

Would there be insurance or technical issues involved in allowing casual workers to snowplough minor roads as these seem to be the ones that suffered most in the recent snow event??
    buy a set of proper winter tyres or winter socks for tyres

doolox wrote: »

The answer to this is "Yes". You are not allowed touch the road at all, not even fill a pothole yourself. The roads that farmers cleared were most likely in many cases "on a needs be" basis for themselves to get around about their work. Because if they went at cleaning the road and damaged it, they'd be liable, or if someone went out and slipped/crashed/whatever on that strip, they may be liable. It was only after the minister announced that there would be no liability if the job was done, that a lot more non state workers got out and helped. As long as there was no payment for doing it of course. It had to be voluntary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

The answer to this is "Yes". You are not allowed touch the road at all, not even fill a pothole yourself. The roads that farmers cleared were most likely in many cases "on a needs be" basis for themselves to get around about their work. Because if they went at cleaning the road and damaged it, they'd be liable, or if someone went out and slipped/crashed/whatever on that strip, they may be liable. It was only after the minister announced that there would be no liability if the job was done, that a lot more non state workers got out and helped. As long as there was no payment for doing it of course. It had to be voluntary.
    that is not true

the AG has said in the past the public cannot be liable for trying their best for clearing the road or footpath

So who would be liable then if you were clearing a footpath and put a hole in it and someone tripped? Same with clearing roads with heavy machinery. Easy to tear the tarmac and leave it in ribbons.

There was only a major uptake in the snow by people with machinery to do more once the minister said they wouldn't be liable. The ESB went to FCI to get them to clear paths for their crews, Wexford CoCo got onto local agri contractors to do roads in their area. None of that was happening until the liability issue was removed from the table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

pawrick wrote: »
    Haven't found any great kebab shops in Athlone, generally I'll go for King kebab in Irish town but they are all much of a muchness imo compared to the other places ranging from average to terrible. My favorite to compare against would be zaytoon in Dublin.
    The meat they use in there is sacrified from a locals farmers goats. I **** you not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

The meat they use in there is sacrified from a locals farmers goats. I **** you not.

King Kebab or Zaytoon? I've only eaten in one.........

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

There was only a major uptake in the snow by people with machinery to do more once the minister said they wouldn't be liable.

Liability is a matter for the courts, the Minister does not have the power to set aside liability like that.

If he was right and people were not liable, then they never were liable.

King Kebab or Zaytoon? I've only eaten in one.........
    King Kebab. Wont go into much detail cause it was/is completely illegal and may not still happen but for a long period majority of the meat was locally reared and killed goats on a local farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

King Kebab. Wont go into much detail cause it was/is completely illegal and may not still happen but for a long period majority of the meat was locally reared and killed goats on a local farm.

I think there may be a kebab outlet called White Lighting somewhere in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Oddly enough if it's from healthy goats it's probably a lot better than what is passed for meat in most Kebab places as per links below (old links now). I assume however if this is happening it is for halal purposes.

https://www.independent.ie/life/food-drink/food-news/no-horse-but-its-not-lamb-either-whats-really-in-your-donner-kebab-30457005.html

https://www.food.gov.uk/news-updates/news/2015/13546/fsa-lamb-takeaway-survey

Think I'll stick to Pizzas for a while!

Someone was talking about the new place on Northgate Street, it's called Il Basilico, I had it for the first time on Sunday evening and it was really, really good, I'll definitely be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Someone was talking about the new place on Northgate Street, it's called Il Basilico, I had it for the first time on Sunday evening and it was really, really good, I'll definitely be back.

Haven't tried there myself yet but have only heard good things from people I know who have.

I tripped over this article when googling something else about Monksland. http://www.shannonside.ie/news/local/roscommon/77-houses-planned-monksland/

The article says that Slevin brothers were due to start construction of a new estate in the area during the summer. I can't think of any new estates being built in the area apart from those 6 or 8 houses being built on the Old Tuam Road. Anyone know anything that I don't?

Monksland/Bealnamullia could do with a new development or 2 IMO.

It could be a reboot of that stalled ghost estate near the Mill bar.

• Advertisement

It could be a reboot of that stalled ghost estate near the Mill bar.

Is that the one with all the silver hoarding along the front? If there's construction going on in there they're being very quiet about it, I live close by and have never seen anything going in or out of that site.

Is that the one with all the silver hoarding along the front? If there's construction going on in there they're being very quiet about it, I live close by and have never seen anything going in or out of that site.
    Looking again, it's actually here (assuming the press have the correct location)
    Monksland-aerial-view.jpg

At the red dot? Doubt there's much building the back that industrial estate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Do they take bookings or is it just turn up and get a table?

Do they take bookings or is it just turn up and get a table?

Il Basilico is takeaway only. Il Colosseo is the restaurant beside it, they take bookings but I don't think it's the same operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Il Basilico is takeaway only. Il Colosseo is the restaurant beside it, they take bookings but I don't think it's the same operation.

Ah OK, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I am sure it is the same operation.

Company check on Basilico: https://companycheck.co.uk/company/IE582127/PIZZERIA-IL-BASILICO-LIMITED/companies-house-data lists Aldo Belviso as a director.

Il colosseo: https://companycheck.co.uk/company/ie420104/IL-COLOSSEO-LIMITED/companies-house-data

Same dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Oh Il Colesseo has lovely food!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Barti

Anyone know what happened to the First Stop garage in the Kenna Complex beside the Golden Star takeaway on the Dublin road? Drive by one day and cars being serviced as usual, and next time I passed by they were gutting the place into a skip.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Barti wrote: »
    Anyone know what happened to the First Stop garage in the Kenna Complex beside the Golden Star takeaway on the Dublin road? Drive by one day and cars being serviced as usual, and next time I passed by they were gutting the place into a skip.

Is that the one beside the shack? Thought it was doing well

Advertisement