Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you kill an intruder if you were guaranteed to get away scot free?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I won't attack somebody over trying to steal lumps of metal or plastic but if I find somebody wandering around upstairs near my wife and children all bets are off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

One of the reasons why I would like to see guns being made more freely available in Ireland. The thought of getting shot would make the little tramps think twice about breaking into your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭Augme

Good to see so many internet hard men on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Augme wrote: »

If I didn't know so many crims, as "nodding hello acquaintances", who spend all day every day in the gym/ring/on steroids, I'd be convinced the burglars were all doomed.

As a matter of fact, I know a couple of bad-eggs who, in a fight, if I had a gun and they didn't, I wouldn't be even 30-70 convinced I'd be the one telling people about what happened, afterwards. Shooting them would only pi55 them off. A few foreign lads I know, who wouldn't be the best citizens, I wouldn't be 100% confident it would be 50-50 if they were across a field, in their jocks, unarmed and barefoot, headed for me - and I had a machine gun. I'd give it a lash, but I'd be expecting to be in the A&E for a while having a large automatic firearm removed from my back-passage and most of my bones re-set. I think people lack perspective. I blame the internet. And films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Augme wrote: »

It's our last refuge since they closed down the video arcades...now we try to reenact Street fighter scenes upon home invaders!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Beyondgone wrote: »
    Bang bang. One shot and it'd be all over for them.

If I had a gun.

Sadly I don't, so I'd probably just shout loudly and try to make my fur stand on end to appear bigger.

Sure we'd all be safer if we had loads more guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Berserker wrote: »
    One of the reasons why I would like to see guns being made more freely available in Ireland. The thought of getting shot would make the little tramps think twice about breaking into your home.

Its actually getting harder to own a firearm in this country. Lads over on hunting and shooting forum will tell you that.
    In this country a gun can only be used for vermin control game hunting or target shooting. There's strict criteria set down by the gardai to prevent nutters owning guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Yes

Ex broke into my house with a crowbar before and tried to attack me with it. I pretty much froze and have the scar to show for it. I wouldn't make that mistake again.

Its actually getting harder to own a firearm in this country. Lads over on hunting and shooting forum will tell you that.
    In this country a gun can only be used for vermin control game hunting or target shooting. There's strict criteria set down by the gardai to prevent nuttersnormal people owning guns.

FYP. The crims, I'm sad to inform you, don't have to ask the Super for permission to have one. They just hand over €500 in a pub car-park. Gun licencing is irrelevant if you're a crim. It's only relevant if you're the type who taxes your car and recycles stuff. If I want an unlicenced automatic pistol, I can have one within 30 minutes. If I want one all licenced and stuff, it could take years, or even never. People need to be aware of this point of utter nonsense. Gun licensing only affects law-abiding people. Same as drivers licencing. If you think otherwise, you're Beyond delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭eurasian

No i would not kill anyone. And completely against this idea of having a gun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

You would not get away "Scot-free " though.

You would still get a record. This is the modern use of the term.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_proven

prinzeugen wrote: »
    You would not get away "Scot-free " though.

You would still get a record. This is the modern use of the term.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_proven

Lookit, all internet "I'd kill them through the heart" shyte aside, I deal with robberies as part of work. The aftermath/stopping it happening again. If the robber gets hurt, the property owner has problems, not the robber. Cnuts fall through skylights, get monged, and sue.. because they were right to be on the roof, yeah? If you actively go out with your 12" #Ramboknife and jab them in the heart - causing superficial bruising and a minor laceration(because Rambo knives are crap) they're gonna clean you for assault.

People talk so much rubbish on the internet it isn't right. Lock the bedroom door, with your kids inside and ring the Gards. They get paid to deal with scummers and don't have to pay the claims personally. All the rest is utter spoofery, garbage and frankly fake news. If you're daft enough to listen to some internet hard-chaw going "I'd stab them all through the heart" then you're daft enough not to be bothered by the sh1t-storm that you will endure in the aftermath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

In this country a gun can only be used for vermin control game hunting or target shooting.

I am aware of this. I know a few people who have given up owning them because of all of the restrictions that were being put in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

I could never kill anyone, no matter what the crime. However, I do have a recurring dream of smashing a burglars knee caps with a golf club. Not a single blow, but repeated smacks, over a sustained period of time, with one hour intervals, designed to make crumbs of the bone, so that it can never be reconstructed, possibly with added risk of blood infection

Live and let live

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

People talk so much rubbish on the internet it isn't right. Lock the bedroom door, with your kids inside and ring the Gards. They get paid to deal with scummers and don't have to pay the claims personally. All the rest is utter spoofery, garbage and frankly fake news. If you're daft enough to listen to some internet hard-chaw going "I'd stab them all through the heart" then you're daft enough not to be bothered by the sh1t-storm that you will endure in the aftermath.

Not sure if you've ever been a victim of this type of crime yourself but ime as someone who has, I can 100% say that I would protect myself if put in that situation again. I'm not trying to be a hard person or prove to anybody i'm a badass but after that incident I felt unsafe and scared in my own home. I couldn't sleep there alone, I could never relax, he completely took away that control from me.

In that instant I froze before retaliating and like I said I can 100% say that I wouldn't do that again. The Garda we're great, but they didn't make me feel safe again. What makes me feel safe is sleeping with hurl beside my bed. A hurl that I am completely prepared to use against an intruder, whether they sue me after or not.

Lau2976 wrote: »
    Not sure if you've ever been a victim of this type of crime yourself but ime as someone who has, I can 100% say that I would protect myself if put in that situation again. I'm not trying to be a hard person or prove to anybody i'm a badass but after that incident I felt unsafe and scared in my own home. I couldn't sleep there alone, I could never relax, he completely took away that control from me.

In that instant I froze before retaliating and like I said I can 100% say that I wouldn't do that again. The Garda we're great, but they didn't make me feel safe again. What makes me feel safe is sleeping with hurl beside my bed. A hurl that I am completely prepared to use against an intruder, whether they sue me after or not.

Nothing like a hurl. Make sure to buy a sliothar as well. It looks better.

Don't complain if it doesn't go how you imagined.

Lau2976 wrote: »

I refer you to post 253. The other posts are just a bit of auld banter. All the other posts, pretty much. Honestly, refer to post 253. You'll have a better life as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

I believe in deadly force as self defense, very much so.

If a person is breaking into your home/property for whatever reason, the place where you and maybe your family live then I believe you have the right to shoot first and think later. I believe that should be a protected right.

My property has more value to me than some stranger breaking into my home unlawfully.

I dont care what his background is, what his childhood was like, if he's an addict or not, if mammy and daddy didn't love him enough or whatever sob story these people tend to come up with in order to justify their crimes I just don't care. You deserve to be put down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dark Rabbit

It tempting to shoot but you're better off giving them a freight. If you take someones life, they probably friends or family might look for revenge. Not worth the hassle or worry, get them out of your house or point them in the direction of a neighbor you don't like. There are some nut jobs out there and you don't want to become a subject of interest to them, especially if you have family.

• Advertisement

I believe in deadly force as self defense, very much so.

If a person is breaking into your home/property for whatever reason, the place where you and maybe your family live then I believe you have the right to shoot first and think later. I believe that should be a protected right.

My property has more value to me than some stranger breaking into my home unlawfully.

I dont care what his background is, what his childhood was like, if he's an addict or not, if mammy and daddy didn't love him enough or whatever sob story these people tend to come up with in order to justify their crimes I just don't care. You deserve to be put down.
    Do you own a firearm? Would you drown a bag of kittens?

If you answered "No" to either question, you fall into the category "Internet Warrior" and "bants". It's a broad church.

It tempting to shoot but you're better off giving them a freight. If you take someones life, they probably friends or family might look for revenge. Not worth the hassle or worry, get them out of your house or point them in the direction of a neighbor you don't like. There are some nut jobs out there and you don't want to become a subject of interest to them, especially if you have family.

This -"I'd shoot them with my big knife!".. do ye think they don't have brothers/cousins/uncles/friends/dependant lackeys who may be vaguely annoyed at you? :confused: Do you really value your quiet day-to-day life so little? Calling the Gards is expected and has little come-back. Everyone calls the Gards.
    Shooting Anto - the Saint, may his name forever be lit with led lights on your lawn -using your own gun/knife..not so much..

Do you own a firearm? Would you drown a bag of kittens?

If you answered "No" to either question, you fall into the category "Internet Warrior" and "bants". It's a broad church.

Internet warrior? Okay.

I believe in the premise, if you are put in a situation I mentioned and you happen to take someones life then I believe you are within his rights to do so.

Internet warrior? Okay.

I believe in the premise, if you are put in a situation I mentioned and you happen to take someones life then I believe you are within his rights to do so.

Beliefs are grand Wil, but reality's a bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

The title said get away with it Scot free so no need to consider consequences.

I'm sure a lot of people wud have someone they'd like to kill if there were no consequences.

I keep my list alphabetically ordered rather than in order of who wud merit the aul bit of killing.

Beliefs are grand Wil, but reality's a bitch.

Well that is what the thread is about, hypothetical s.

I don't believe a person should be punished for using lethal force for self defense in any of the scenarios I mentioned, Padraig Nally being a good example to go on.

The title said get away with it Scot free so no need to consider consequences.

I'm sure a lot of people wud have someone they'd like to kill if there were no consequences.

I keep my list alphabetically ordered rather than in order of who wud merit the aul bit of killing.

OCD is a bitch. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Had a lively discussion with some friends lately saying that if they had a gun and happened across an intruder in their house they would pull the trigger no questions asked, its them or me.
    But really, could you kill an intruder if you had the means or is that standpoint often just bravado especially for men?
    If for the sake of argument you had a choice between killing them and getting away with it or restraining them and handing them over to the cops, what would you do?

Kill them where they stand every single time regardless of the punishment. Break into my home where my children are you better be prepared for the reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Lookit, all internet "I'd kill them through the heart" shyte aside, I deal with robberies as part of work. The aftermath/stopping it happening again. If the robber gets hurt, the property owner has problems, not the robber. Cnuts fall through skylights, get monged, and sue.. because they were right to be on the roof, yeah? If you actively go out with your 12" #Ramboknife and jab them in the heart - causing superficial bruising and a minor laceration(because Rambo knives are crap) they're gonna clean you for assault.

Your talking a fair bit of rubbish there chief.

Its because of attitudes like that the criminals have it so handy in this country. Someone comes into your home where your kids are you have to hit first and ask questions later. Not hide under your bed like a bitch.

Yeh call the guards. Hopefully there not to busy out doing lads for no tax or nct to do some real work.

Advertisement