Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Wicklow Town/Rathnew Estates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

if you answer these questions I think you’ll have a decision.

can you afford the mortgage repayments vs the rent you’re currently paying? If the mortgage is less and even if interest rates rise 2-3% and it’s still less than rent it’s even more savings

can you see yourself living here for 10-15 years including the commute? (the reason for 10/15/20 years is on average the housing market evens out over that time. There’s wild fluctuations but on a whole over a longer period it’s not as volatile.)

whilst I feel like house prices are high at the moment, the fact that people are buying 400-600k houses in Wicklow with a cap of 3.5x their household income suggests to me that the current prices are sustainable for now and probably won’t cause a crash (but please don’t quote me on this lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Baybay

There’s not a huge amount of pre owned houses on the market in the town either, Creamy Goodness & most of what is seems to go sale agreed fairly quickly. At least from my casual observances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 yuri_own

How did you find the houses in Tinakilly Park? Is it a good location? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

It depends, do you intend commuting to Dublin every day? Some houses in Bray can be had for 400, but not in great areas and houses that need renovation, but commute would be far less and potentially bray has better services such as busses, dart, nightlife etc.

Running cost of an old house with bad insulation would be high, but commuting costs and time would be saved.

There are lots of jobs in Bray versus Wicklow town where there is no big factory or employer except the county council.

I have lived in Wicklow Town and Bray so I know both towns well. The traffic in the morning northbound to Dublin can have big back logs back during the boom.with wet and dark mornings delays north bound of 30 minutes not uncommon with traffic backing back to Newtown mountkennedy to past Bray.

Define good location, I suppose! They’re built in the grounds of Tinakilly House which is still operational as a nice country house hotel. Irish Bake Off was filmed there. Walking distance to Rathnew plus easy access to the M11 & a couple of kilometres the other direction into Wicklow town. Rathnew has a couple of pubs, a couple of service stations, takeaways, bridal salon, very nice bakery, convenience store, bus stop, new barber opening up or may have already, church, graveyard etc. Other things that I can’t think of right now.

• Advertisement

I agree re traffic, commute etc especially as the train service hasn’t really improved in years either. Maybe though all the working from home that’s now allowed will help make a better commute - life balance.

Wicklow though is, I think, a town about to undergo fairly big changes if everything they’re talking about comes to fruition. The construction & ongoing offices, servicing etc of the new offshore wind farm is expected to be based in the town which should create both direct & indirect jobs. Also the old Veha plant on The Murrough is expected to have residential & commercial units built on it after it is sold hopefully creating more ongoing employment. There’s also a largish site zoned residential & educational, if I remember properly near Trinity which will hopefully expand services & associated jobs.

With regard to night life, well, as long as it’s bars & restaurants, the town is well provided for!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ma88

looks lovely, quality and lots of ppls in for viewings...rgds location im mostly working evening/nights in bray so 20 mins up/down the M11 if out of rush hour!

mostly working in bray myself evening/nights - when the nightlife is on, so most probably will just get in the opposite direction of traffic on the way to/out of work...so about 20 mins should do! rgds the same 400k for a house in bray - that i know quite pretty well, not in a nice location as you said and it may need quite good investments for modernisation...

just out of viewing, quite a good few ppls was in for viewing, houses looks lovely, good quality and large enough - for the 3 bed semiD im looking for-395(anther lady been told 400 for the same).

a few things the EA was not aware of, underfloor heating if there is or not, there was heating radiators all over the house, the attic may be possible for conversion in future if need to be, there's no flooring-just tiled bathrooms, no carpets on stairs or anywhere,washing machine/drier not included(i thought all the white appliance would be), in the smaller bedroom there's no wardrobe, the walls painted & the kitchen fitted-thankfully ,solar panels - extra 10-11k eur...

So now wondering how much extra may be needed for them extras, carpets, wooden floors, beds, extras ... another 30-40k would cover + the extra ~10k for solar panels - totaling about 50k to make it livable?!

Hope someone got through all that, and may have an estimate!

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭RunningFlyer

How did you get a viewing? I know 2x separate people who registered interest online months ago but still haven’t heard a peep..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

Yes it could easily cost 100k to fully deep retrofit an old house and put in new kitchen, bathroom, heating, and electrics, but some houses may have good insulation already, condensing gas boiler already, the key is to look at BER (a c is very good for old house) and some areas in Bray are quiet Cul de sac, next to rougher areas but are still very quiet. Parts of Bray can be bad, but can be avoided. Very few bad parts of Wicklow & Rathnew although 100% new council estates would be expected to be bad when children become teenagers. Personally Rathnew has very little and the couple of pubs have a bad reputation, although I am seen in them regularly! The pubs are very run down compared to Wicklow town pubs.

That's a huge jump of prices! A friend of mine reserved a 3bedroom Semidetached and the range of prices were 345-360. That was August of last year.

Regarding the prices of extras, it depends on your budget and your wants rather than your needs. Flooring could be as low as 3000 depends on what you want. For furnitures, bed frames, matresses, washing machine, dryer, etc. Could be 10K or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Help_Dubai

Holy moly… some jump in prices for Tinakilly… 3 beds in Rathdrum were high 200s last year, hoping they’ll be low 300s this year when next phases are released, but with the way things are going…

Just keep email/call the estate agents - REA Forking & Hooke & MacDonald!

Good luck!

Yes, i've got notice of a 4 bed semiD cancellation in Viewmount-Rathdrum just before Christmas @345k - but they was looking for quick full proof of funds - thing i did not have at the time...was in for a drive around then, they're looking nice/lovelly enough aswell, but quite a few good miles away from mostly all the amenities - thing that got me to keep away from the area!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 997

Just wanted to fill anyone in who was thinking of the new builds in Tinnakilly. We went for a viewing on Saturday just gone and this is the info we got - of course nothing is exact, prices aren't set in stone but it's what the agents we spoke to reckoned would be the case. It's very bleak to be honest.

So timeline wise, phase two is currently sold out and the people viewing on Saturday would be part of phase three, which would launch in May. "Launch" means you'd get a call to claim a house. Then they said you'd be looking at moving in around March 2023 all going well.

For prices, the 3-beds jump up in price around 40k each phase. So in phase two the standard 3-bed was 385k-410k, now will be around 450k.

4-beds started at 450k in phase one, now 485k in phase two. So likely around 500k in phase 3.

We asked various staff and they estimated that to finish the houses you'd need 50-60k as the houses don't come with flooring (aside from tiled bathrooms), etc.

All in all the houses are extremely expensive, we weren't expecting them to give that sort of price range. If you can afford it they'd be great but to have to put several tens of thousands into the house on top of the steep asking price is a lot.

Anyway just wanted to give all the info to anyone wondering.

Wow! That's a huge jump of prices. I didn't know that Phase 2 is already sold out to think Phase 1 is still not available for moving in. My friend bought a 3 bedroom semidetached for 360K and he told me that it was a miracle he got it because within 5 mins of the reservation time, the 30 units on phase 1 have already been sold out!

To think that the Phase 3 prices will be at around 400, who will be able to afford them.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

Drove past Sessile Oaks this morning & the site seemed to be chained shut. Was wondering why or maybe they shut up early for the holiday weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 boardsuser95

Does anyone know about Tinakilly Park houses and whether it is a 'safe investment' if that makes sense. Wondering about antisocial behaviour in the area, we are considering moving there from Dublin to buy and get out of the renting market but want to be sure all lifetime savings are invested wisely..Antisocial behaviour is the only concern, if anyone knows about the area it would be great.

Also Sandyxxx, Meadowhill don't have information on the houses yet it seems, hard to get anything on it at this early stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Larsso30

There isn't a sinner in the place yet so impossible to tell!

At the prices they charging though I be confident enough or be nice estate but lot of houses for to be built so ya know yourself you will always have a few! I live other side of rathnew and am very happy

Rathnew, like most places I’m sure, probably has a couple of spots where you might prefer not to live. Tinakilly Park though is not really that near most other parts of Rathnew anyway so most of the day to day contacts will be your own neighbours in the estate, as Larsso says.

Like Wicklow town, Rathnew is undergoing something of a regeneration, I think. Currently a lot of that newness is further up the hill, around where Centra is but no doubt that will filter down, particularly as Tinakilly Park begins to be occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭dbas

Some holiday they are having.

Does anyone know what happened with sessile oaks.

I had heard there was a court case between the owners but didn't hear anything else.

It's not listed for sale anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4 aniasmith

Does anyone know when people from Phase 1 of Tinakilly Park will be moving in? Junction looks ready, so can’t be long now

• Registered Users Posts: 33 997

@dbas where did you hear about the court case? 😯 Any more info?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭dbas

Just heard it down the town. Not even sure it's true. I didn't see any street lights or anything installed up there so it can't be complety finished yet, nearly 4 years after starting it. It's a complete mess. Has anyone put money down on the houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

In other never-ending-estate-drama news Bristlewood's developers have off-loaded a chunk of their site off for council housing and now it seems are refusing permission to amend the existing sites🤣🤣.....related files here

https://www.eplanning.ie/WicklowCC/AppFileRefDetails/21395/0

https://www.eplanning.ie/WicklowCC/AppFileRefDetails/22633/0

Post edited by sandyxxx on

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Larsso30

Junction is ready and causing chaos. Shambles as per usual from wicklow Co Co

• Advertisement

Usual “friend heard from a friend whose sister’s husband’s dog spoke to the neighbours cat” type thing but I heard there’s a massive delay on people getting keys for Tinakilly. Late autumn was mentioned. No idea if council related or not.

Advertisement