Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Wicklow Town/Rathnew Estates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dbas

I would totally agree that tinakilly would be better. Tgd parts L (Energy) and F (ventilation) got upgraded since sessile oaks was built initially. With the result being sessile oaks will be a far interior product than tinakily. Tinakilly has mvhr and heat pump systems I think and a high spec in general. Cat 6 wiring etc. Sessile oaks doesn't have mvhr and the heat pump won't have warranty left at this stage I imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Help_Dubai

The 3 bed terraced at Sessile Oaks now sold out (€305,000). Strange pricing - the 2 beds are €295,000.

Not Wicklow town obviously, but a bunch of 2 beds in Kilcoole released earlier this week sold out the morning they were released. Think there were around €300,000.

Crazy market folks and the Government are being advised to end the HTB when the current scheme up to end Dec 2022 finishes.

We had the 4 bed semi in sessile oaks for €315000 back in the day.

Markets gone mental

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Lex_Luthor

@dbas did you buy one or offered a 4 bed for 315?

I was hoping for Kilcoole too but no such luck.

So it might be best to hold off and wait till 2023 if HTB is scrapped. Hopefully more on market too.

Who knows what kind of scheme may replace it though, if it is scrapped. I’m happy to use it now anyway, despite realising I’m effectively paying way over the odds to developers due to direct HTB inflation.

• Advertisement

We had a deposit down on it for around two years. It was given back to us as a deal was done with tuath housing for them to get the whole estate. That's been the case since the ad went up on daft this week. (about 18months I think)

Keep an eye to some of the retrofit grants that are available or in the pipeline.

Might be better value getting a crap house and getting it retrofitted (pending grant/reasonable loan to cover retrofit costs of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

any word on an open viewing for sessile oaks,or are they being sold off the plans / appt viewings only?!

Ah I see. Probably for the best then you didn't get it. What would retroffitting cost?

It could even be still good value given the current market.

Retrofitting costs depend on each house really. There are some large retrofitting initiatives starting this year. Could cost between 5k and 100k to be honest.

Knowing Ireland, that would end up being more to the middle or latter part of that cost 😄

• Advertisement

2 beds (€295,000) sold out in Sessile Oaks. So €345,000 is now the lowest entry point. Seems you need to buy a place the morning they come out, if ‘reasonably priced’ 2-3 beds is your market…

I contacted EA last Wednesday for Sessile Oaks and Tinakilly Park, doubt I will hear back.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Larsso30

Tinakilly has planning for hundreds of houses I thought. Might hear back from them yet

Waverly is up the road, believe they waiting on planning permission to keep building so keep and eye out there.

Glenveigh also have application in for the site at the roundabout just before Kirvin Hill so keep an eye there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Folks, a bit off topic but just a post for those looking at houses in the Rathnew/Wicklow area. (Tinakilly is very much Rathnew BTW😀)

Anyway it might be an idea to consider Rathdrum which is only 8 miles down the road. Houses are popping up like well fed mushrooms.

There is a small development going up beside me consisting of 8 x A rated 3 bed semis @€270,000.

Numerous other much larger developments ongoing at similar prices. Not in anyway affiliated just thought the info might be helpful.

If someone wants to start another thread I'll gladly contribute.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Thanks WCH, I was keeping an eye on Rathdrum but nothing seems to be available now and may be much later in the year before new phases are released (and at higher prices according to the agents). Are you talking about the one on ballinderry road? There are two or three in Rathdrum with further phases coming, just slow coming for those of us looking to get in before the HTB potentially ends. Rathdrum is a nice quiet area as well, not suitable maybe for those looking for more amenities in the immediate area or social life etc but would suit me fine.

No, its up beside the secondary School. Redmond builders are the contractors, they also have another larger development on the go. maybe give them a buzz, they are based in Gorey. I'll check who the agents are on the smaller estate and revert back later......

Redmond built the new builds in martlon, my sister bought one, they are very efficient

O'Neill & Flanagan are the auctioneers. They are based in Aughrim. i dont see the houses on their website but probably worth a call

• Advertisement

Rathdrum is closer to 11mile,(18 km away) but a world away in terms of amenities,infrastructure & pace of life.....I'd recommend caveat emptor on that one!

The title of the thread is new estates in Wicklow/Rathnew. Rathdrum is 8 miles from Rathnew.

Yes Rathdrum is smaller than Wicklow but saying it’s a world away is nonsense.

Any perceived difference’s is more than reflected in the price of a new build (circa 80k).

Maybe you can elaborate further?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Baybay

I don’t know a great deal about Rathdrum aside from Avondale House, Bates & the train station so I’ll leave it to someone else to detail what else is to be found about the place.

Wicklow though does have a fair few advantages, I think in terms of what’s available. Whether that makes the towns a world apart or not, I guess that’s up to a potential purchaser to decide for their own purposes & budget.

Wicklow has a quite a lot of building going on at various spots around the town, some of it social housing. These alone might help develop the town as new people will require new, or at least more facilities & services. I’m sure the same can be said for Rathdrum.

But currently the town has a new library, a new Lidl, new schools, sea & pool swimming, golf, rugby, GAA & soccer clubs, numerous restaurants, bars, coffee shops, Boots, Tesco, a really excellent independent bookshop, sailing & probably loads more.

A fair and balanced post.

The one thing that Rathdrum lacks is a decent size Supermarket. Apart from that it is definitely punching above it’s weight in terms of facilities.

New Library, new health centre, new pharmacy, pubs and Restaurants.

Rugby, Soccer, athletics, gymnastics , fishing, axe throwing, scouts and GAA clubs.

Three National schools and one well regarded secondary school.

Avondale is currently undergoing a multi million euro redevelopment. https://www.independent.ie/regionals/braypeople/news/work-to-get-under-way-on-avondale-re-development-40422709.html

I’m not saying Rathdrum is on the same level as Wicklow town but it certainly has a lot going for it and represents great value in house prices compared to Wicklow. The difference in price does not reflect the difference in facilities, that’s for sure.

Just to note I have no vested interest here, just saying it as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 997

Just in case anyone is thinking about buying in Sessile Oaks in Wicklow town, I spoke to someone in Tuath and they ended up pulling out of buying all of Sessile Oaks as they discovered that the level of antisocial behaviour from Hillview next door would make it unliveable for anyone in the houses next door. They did a case study and between Garda reports and things they witnessed themselves on multiple visits they determined it wouldn't be liveable. For Tuath themselves to say that says a lot I think.

Can't say I was sorry to see the Tuath deal fall through,that much social housing in one area would likely be problematic,saying that though,some of the finest houses in the area are on that hill and Sessile oaks seems to be the first phase in a fairly big development,and would likely lead to a rising tide raising other ships....time will tell I suppose!

Apparently (new to me at least) quite a few houses in some of the developments in Rathdrum have been bought by housing bodies, not sure which ones. So effectively much more social housing than the actual 10% local authority allocation. I don’t think a developer is obliged to disclose this openly to prospective buyers, so research / local grapevine is needed to suss this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭raxy

I had enquired about Avonmore View a few times last year. Was initially told they would be releasing houses later in the year Then around August they told me that the entire next phase being released was going to social housing & it would be atleast summer 22 before any houses would be released for sale.

At least they were upfront. I thought phase 1 was sold to private buyers and phase 2 of avonmore view is next out in the coming months, but must be wrong on that. I heard similar about the development down the way on Greenane road. The redmond development back up at the woods is one I haven’t heard about much social housing in, but their prices are going to jump up a lot for the next phase apparently. It’s a bloody difficult market!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ma88

Have a viewing today - Tinakilly Park, the 3 bed semi - 395k(109sp.m) on the 2nd phase, where on it's 1st was 355-360...quite a jump...wondering if still worted the 400k for 3 bed in wicklow ??? i know its where we are at the moment, but still afraid of getting into it, even though got mortgage approved and with some savings for the past 10+years, just thinking of getting out of the 1500 rent-south Dublin...still wondering if may be the right move to do so??!

Thank you.

Advertisement